PDA

View Full Version : Grocery shopping

Pages : [1] 2

chibwack
07-31-2012, 10:12 AM
So I'm aware that Safeway offers 10% off your purchase on the first Tuesday of any month, does any of the other grocery stores offer a similar deal? I've been "shopping smart" lately and its surprisingly satisfying when you add up the savings and realize you've paid for a generous night out. Gotta keep up the habit!

DENZILDON
07-31-2012, 10:16 AM
My buddy told me Safeway also have 5 dollar deals every Friday too.

FixedGear
07-31-2012, 10:19 AM
I moved and don't really shop at Safeway any more, but back when I did, I would actually go out of my way to avoid Safeway on those days. too busy for me. :rofl: :rofl:

RNB11
07-31-2012, 10:38 AM
No frills usually has some pretty good deals, especially there 1 dollar days!

swak
07-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Im a Co-op kinda guy.

Would far rather spend the extra .10 on my groceries than deal with the havoc of superstore etc...

revelations
07-31-2012, 10:56 AM
My experience with SuperStore is mostly positive. I shop exclusively at the DF meadows location, and I go after 8pm on weeknights. Why bother with the rush of the weekend shoppers?

Most of the time I buy over 200$ in groceries at once - this gets me numerous free items and giveaways (eg free turkey, blueberries, etc.)

I also pay with my PC financial MC, which doubles my points. So with this, every 4th ~200$ purchase or so I end up with about 40$ taken right off the till. Thats good return in my books.

4runneron36s
07-31-2012, 11:28 AM
On a side note, one way to save on groceries is to not buy foo you're going to throw away. Make a weekly meal plan and buy your groceries accordingly (make a list and stick to it). Also, try to keep of what you have in your freezer and cupboards and plans your meals to include an item from each. This way you don't stockpile food. The wife and I do this and we throw very little food away.

canadian booster
07-31-2012, 11:35 AM
i used to go to safeway, then i started at co-op, then back and forth, then superstore for a while seemed ok, then i went to ..
COSTCO
summary: eff yes

caution: never go to costco on a sat/sun it's just not worth it, go on a tuesday after work or something, it rules

ok, so the most common complaint i hear about costco is that it's expensive.. umm no, those people are horrible at math.

yes, the pasta noodles i bought cost me $8 instead of $4, but i'm getting 4x as much and it's 'smart pasta' (supposed to be better for you, vitamins and crap in it)

yes the advil was $12 on sale, but it was for 100 pills instead of $6 for 20 at safeway

like Montreal Steak spice? i do.. it's $7 at safeway for a shaker, or $10 at costco for one 5x the size

the only thing i don't have any luck with at costco is bananas, they go bad quick for some reason, everything else has been bang on

costs me about $40 a year i think for a membership, worth every penny, PLUS they have a LIQUOR STORE now at Heritage costco, i can get a 40 of rye for $24 or a 24 of coronas for $35, etc

canadian booster
07-31-2012, 11:37 AM
oh, and for the little things that costco doesn't have, or you want to mix it up a bit, try walmart for some groceries, cans, dried goods whatever, you'd be surprised if you've never compared prices

dirtsniffer
07-31-2012, 11:40 AM
just an FYI, you don't need to be a costco member to use the liquor store.

canadian booster
07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

correct! it's great, just don't expect to pay with a MasterCard ;) debit/amex only i believe

revelations
07-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

:eek: Im so there

flipstah
07-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Costco is awesome for non-perishable and meat! SO CHEAP!

Vegetables and fruit can be compared elsewhere.

Sugarphreak
07-31-2012, 11:57 AM

chibwack
07-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by revelations

:eek: Im so there

Whoa, I was just going to go stock up my minibar too. Shit yes!

403Gemini
07-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Costco's meat is amazing. I load up on ribs when I go there. :thumbsup: (going tonight actually...)

For local stuff or regular shopping trips, I do safeway just because it's less of a hassle to go to.

KrisYYC
07-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Even Safeway's club prices and sale prices can't beat Superstore. I honestly don't get how Safeway is still in business with the ridiculous prices they have. I don't care if their apples are stacked in a nice pyramid or if they have hardwood floors. That's not worth paying at least 30% more for everything.

Superstore FTW

403Gemini
07-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by KrisYYC
Even Safeway's club prices and sale prices can't beat Superstore. I honestly don't get how Safeway is still in business with the ridiculous prices they have. I don't care if their apples are stacked in a nice pyramid or if they have hardwood floors. That's not worth paying at least 30% more for everything.

Superstore FTW

Spending the extra bit of money and not having to deal with the re-re's in the parking lot and inside the store is enough of a reason for me to never step foot in a superstore. I don't like to go in the late evenings either when it's quieter since all the good produce is picked through.

When I did go to superstore and buy the same load of groceries that I did at safeway, the difference was MAYBE 10% in savings... not 30%.

KrisYYC
07-31-2012, 12:40 PM
I go to Southland Superstore and it's not bad at all. I've done the price comparisons in minute detail. If you're mostly buying just produce and meat then the prices difference isn't much as you said. However a large mixed shopping the price difference rises dramatically.

Remember when the news would do those monthly comparison shoppings where they'd buy the same products at all the major chains? Safeway always came out the most expensive by a long shot. For the exact same stuff.

FixedGear
07-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
half the stuff she picked out was expired, and they confiscated some of it at the till because it had been recalled.

I do 95% of my grocery shopping at Deerfoot Meadows Wally World, and I've never experienced these types of issues. :dunno: Sometimes they don't have the freshest produce, but in those cases I can just swing by the Sobeys on my way home.

FullFledgedYYC
07-31-2012, 12:51 PM

Remember when the news would do those monthly comparison shoppings where they'd buy the same products at all the major chains? Safeway always came out the most expensive by a long shot. For the exact same stuff.

As someone who has done market research into this before.... never believe those comparisons. Some stores are in the know about when those price comparison shoppers are coming in and lower prices just for that purpose. Next week... they will be back to normal.

Very poor source of information.

arian_ma
07-31-2012, 01:07 PM
I shop at Safeway simply because it is more convenient than Superstore and more....human if you know what I mean. Just pay attention to the color of the lighting in a Safeway vs Superstore next time.

403Gemini
07-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I shop at Safeway simply because it is more convenient than Superstore and more....human if you know what I mean. Just pay attention to the color of the lighting in a Safeway vs Superstore next time.

Yeah, doesn't feel like you're buying stuff out of a warehouse that has bad produce/close to expired.

Lex350
07-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Superstore could be 1/2 the price of the others and you still couldn't get me to se tone foot in the store on Country Hills by the Hamptons. Worst shopping ecxperiences ever!

a social dsease
07-31-2012, 01:20 PM
I shop at Superstore on McLeod because the prices are much lower than anywhere else, including Costco.

I find Superstore has a much better produce selection than Safeway, and I've never had a problem with the quality. In fact I've found SS has many items that are of higher quality than Safeway/Coop (eg. bread items).

The only time I'll ever go to Safeway is if I just need 1 or 2 items and I don't want to drive all the way to Superstore.

sputnik
07-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Ugh. I hate Costco. Their selection is terrible and I have no need to buy 4 loaves of the same bread the every time. Nor do I want to buy 3 random jars of pasta sauce at once. I want the flavour I want and not have to take 2 jars of the stuff they can't sell alone.

I prefer having a good butcher, baker and go to Sobeys for the rest.

When it comes to buying food, price and quantity is pretty low on the priorities list.

swak
07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Whats the difference in lighting? :dunno:

... i dont plan on walking into superstore to find out the difference haha

Xtrema
07-31-2012, 01:24 PM

Superstore FTW

Superstore is only tolerable if I go there at early opening hours like 9am. Both Conventry and Country Hill Superstore are total garbage. Too many people, too messy and run out of stock too quick. Either the shoppers they get are garbage or they are just horribly ran. Probably a bit of both.

I like Superstore still not only it's cheaper, a lot of stuff is fresher due to higher turnover of products.

If I want high quality produce, I'll just make the drive to farmer's market.

nismodrifter
07-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Shawnessy Superstore on the weekend........not a chance. Any weeknight though its always empty. Price can't be beat.

KrisYYC
07-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

As someone who has done market research into this before.... never believe those comparisons. Some stores are in the know about when those price comparison shoppers are coming in and lower prices just for that purpose. Next week... they will be back to normal.

Very poor source of information.

You're probably right, however their findings were pretty much in line with my experiences shopping at both.

Originally posted by sputnik
Ugh. I hate Costco. Their selection is terrible and I have no need to buy 4 loaves of the same bread the every time. Nor do I want to buy 3 random jars of pasta sauce at once. I want the flavour I want and not have to take 2 jars of the stuff they can't sell alone.

I prefer having a good butcher, baker and go to Sobeys for the rest.

When it comes to buying food, price and quantity is pretty low on the priorities list.

I agree with you on Costco. Their selection sucks and is inconsistent. It's not really that cheap anyway.

I'm surprised people actually care about a stores lighting and using that to justify paying more :rofl: You're grocery shopping not going to a spa.

Sugarphreak
07-31-2012, 01:35 PM

SmAcKpOo
07-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Superstore is jam packed with immigrants and the stores are fucking dirty all the time.

KrisYYC
07-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
Superstore is jam packed with immigrants and the stores are fucking dirty all the time.

Not in the South ;)

But if it's packed with immigrants that should tell you something: Superstore is cheaper. :D

arian_ma
07-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by swak

Whats the difference in lighting? :dunno:

... i dont plan on walking into superstore to find out the difference haha
One has the cold "white" lighting that you would see in a warehouse, and the other has a warm yellow glow which you would expect in your living room.

Mar
07-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by chibwack
So I'm aware that Safeway offers 10% off your purchase on the first Tuesday of any month, does any of the other grocery stores offer a similar deal? I've been "shopping smart" lately and its surprisingly satisfying when you add up the savings and realize you've paid for a generous night out. Gotta keep up the habit!
Yes, every other grocery store in existence, Safeway is overpriced by at least 10%. However I still shop there exclusively, because of the lack of foreigners, when people bump into you they actually look at you and apologize.

HyperZell
07-31-2012, 02:45 PM
It's actually very interesting to read about why people shop where they do. I thought it'd be all about price, or convenience, but apparently there's a lot more to it.

In terms of price, Superstore and Costco are the cheapest on average. If you ever compare prices on a few items you consistently get (for example, Classico pasta sauce), you'll see that Safeway, Co-op and Sobey's all gouge you. Walmart and Superstore usually have much better prices...when you buy a bunch of things, it all adds up.

I usually get my groceries on a weeknight, so I don't have the issues some of you are talking about. Again, very interesting.

Xtrema
07-31-2012, 03:07 PM

Not in the south and one store in the north. You have to guess because I ain't telling.

Kg810
07-31-2012, 03:19 PM

Somehow I just pictured this...
4YyEdny5rh8

chibwack
07-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Yes, every other grocery store in existence, Safeway is overpriced by at least 10%. However I still shop there exclusively, because of the lack of foreigners, when people bump into you they actually look at you and apologize.
Or smell like curry for that matter

FullFledgedYYC
07-31-2012, 03:33 PM
I know coop is more... but a combination of lack of rude people, short lines, and the fact that I get a decent amount on my refund cheque at the end of the year makes it MORE than worth it for me.

Dead honest... you could give me my groceries for free and I still would not go to superstore near the Hamptons on a weekend. That place is full of scum.

Ven
07-31-2012, 03:39 PM
I can't grocery shop in the N.E. anymore that's how bad it is. I'll drive out to Balzac for a Costco, Royal Oak for a Wally World, and Deerfoot Meadows for a Superstore.

If I have to shop in the N.E. it's a Safeway or Co-op, but I'm surprised they can stay in business with such high prices. FWIW I think Wal-Mart is a good deal for groceries and have never seen or had any issues with their food.

CompletelyNumb
07-31-2012, 03:55 PM
I find myself shopping at Safeway mainly due to it's proximity to my house.

I prefer to buy my meats in bulk at costco though.

Produce is pretty inconsistent across the city.

Sugarphreak
07-31-2012, 04:11 PM

Kg810
07-31-2012, 04:32 PM

This is true, almost every Safeway has a nice feel to it and people are very pleasant.

....except Aspen landing Safeway. I swear that
all of the stay home house wives get all bent out of shape waiting for their O&G superstar husband to come home and go "shopping" at that Safeway for the sole reason of starting shit with people there to release pent up rage. The entire store is full of pretentious 45+ bitch women with 500$ worth of overdone makeup on

menopause

cam_wmh
07-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Community Natural Foods for fruits & veggies, and some meats.
Most Meats, Non perishables, and most groceries from Superstore.

Although in a rush, with Safeway, Co-Op & Sunterra downtown, I'll go to one of them.

bigbadboss101
07-31-2012, 04:42 PM
I go to Coop, Safeway, Superstore, and Planet Organics. If one store has better prices for the same thing I might go there BUT you have to consider distance you have to drive and lineups etc. Often enough the items are different anyways so you can't compare. When it comes to food you can't really cheap out (we are speaking different quality produce, deli, meat, etc).

CapnCrunch
07-31-2012, 04:48 PM
I shopped at Sobeys because it was close, but I just stopped last weekend because they are ALWAYS out of something I need.

There's a Safeway nearby that I've switched to, so far so good. There's also a Coop, but I've noticed that the prices are about 25% higher on the stuff I buy.

The closest superstore is a shit hole, and the Costco is an absolute train wreck full of people and 15 minute lineups.

Darell_n
07-31-2012, 04:50 PM
As for me being responsible for the refrigeration equipment and knowing how their perishables are maintained, I would have Sobey's as the highest, then CO-OP, Costco and Walmart with Superstore and Safeway being last by a long shot. This also goes for prices, with the exception of Safeway. Why the hell does anyone still shop there?

88CRX
07-31-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm about done with 130th Ave Safeway.... apparently they can't grasp the concept of opening more than 2 tills. Last 2 trips the line must have been 20+ people deep. Second time that happened I dropped my cart and left.

Usually hit up Sobeys now for all the smaller trips cause it's more convenient and quicker.

bignerd
07-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Whoever asked, Sobeys also does 10% off on the first tuesday of every month.

Can't beat the deli at Sobeys.

Superstore is okay for milk, dried goods. Fruit sometimes but they can be out of a lot some days and their ground beef sucks, I rarely buy meat there.

Safeway use to be my go-to store but is now further away than Sobeys, but the one by me is small and doesn't always carry random things for baking and what not.

Coop too expensive, only go there when we have tons of gas coupons from filling up the company truck.

Costco is great, go during the week around 6pm-dinner time, almost no line ups.

eblend
07-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Superstore. We usually shop Deerfoot meadows or Macloud on a weeknight after dinner (buy less when your not hungry!). The places are usually pretty empty, the selection is fine for everything we buy, and if there is something that isn't there, we just stop by Sobeys by our house. I shop Sobeys only when I need a few things as that place is expensive as shit compared to Superstore. Co-Op I find is expenisve as well and only buy one of two things there when needed and is along the way, same as Safeway, though I find safeway cheaper.

Superstore has their "Spend $250 get $25 gift card", we do this all the time. It seems to happen once a month, and we just buy enough for 4 weeks worth (wife and I), and for fresh produce we just stop at Sobeys and pick up a few small things that would have otherwise gone bad by now. We never throw away any food, eat it or cook it before it has a chance. I hate throwing away food.

In addition, if you get the MBNA smart cash card, you will get 3% back as a cheque in the mail for all your grocery and gas purchases. I get a $50 checque every month pretty much (sent as soon as $50 cash back is earned). In addition, I buy my buspasses at sobeys as that counts as a grocery store purchase and also get my 3% back (its 5% for first 6 month by the way on that card), and I also get 1% back on everything that isn't grocery store or gas.

Anyone who cares about store lighting and the layout of their apples is seriously stuck up and would never survive should the shit hit the fan. I don't like superstore during busy periods, but we evenings are perfectly fine and quiet (in the southwest, don't know about ne much)

403Gemini
07-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by eblend

Anyone who cares about store lighting and the layout of their apples is seriously stuck up and would never survive should the shit hit the fan. I don't like superstore during busy periods, but we evenings are perfectly fine and quiet (in the southwest, don't know about ne much)

:rofl:

Why's that? Because I'd rather be comfortable in my current living standard? I already have a "shit hit the fan" location that is stocked with non-perishable foods that will last me +3 other people well over a year... so I think I'm much more set for any "shit hits the fan" scenarios ;) (this is also assuming my 3 month stock in Calgary runs out).

In case of a contagion outbreak or anything, I'm not the idiot who is going to be in a crowded superstore scrambling for scraps, but until that day I'll choose to live in a quiter, nicer atmosphere and choose to live with civlized people rather than the freak show at costco / superstore.

I went to costco tonight to load up on some meat for a bbq and I totally forgot how terrible the shoppers and staff there. Its pretty much anarchy in a supermarket. Typically people stay on the right hand side in supermarkets like co-op, sobeys and safeway. You got to superstore and costco and its a clusterfuck if retards standing in the middle aisles with their carts perpendicular to the shelves trying to take up as much room as possible as they yammer on to the people they're with and don't even bother to move.

Honestly, I can't stand going to a shopping market where people in general are just typically "not pleasant" , actually that goes for any shopping trip anywhere. At least at chinook mall i can make eye contact and nod and smile and say 'excuse me' or 'sorry!' and get the same in return.

Anyway, that's enough of my vent, but until "shit hits the fan" (which I'm prepared for...) , I'll live like a civilized human being.

eblend
07-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Why's that? Because I'd rather be comfortable in my current living standard? I already have a "shit hit the fan" location that is stocked with non-perishable foods that will last me +3 other people well over a year... so I think I'm much more set for any "shit hits the fan" scenarios ;) (this is also assuming my 3 month stock in Calgary runs out).

In case of a contagion outbreak or anything, I'm not the idiot who is going to be in a crowded superstore scrambling for scraps, but until that day I'll choose to live in a quiter, nicer atmosphere and choose to live with civlized people rather than the freak show at costco / superstore.

I went to costco tonight to load up on some meat for a bbq and I totally forgot how terrible the shoppers and staff there. Its pretty much anarchy in a supermarket. Typically people stay on the right hand side in supermarkets like co-op, sobeys and safeway. You got to superstore and costco and its a clusterfuck if retards standing in the middle aisles with their carts perpendicular to the shelves trying to take up as much room as possible as they yammer on to the people they're with and don't even bother to move.

Honestly, I can't stand going to a shopping market where people in general are just typically "not pleasant" , actually that goes for any shopping trip anywhere. At least at chinook mall i can make eye contact and nod and smile and say 'excuse me' or 'sorry!' and get the same in return.

Anyway, that's enough of my vent, but until "shit hits the fan" (which I'm prepared for...) , I'll live like a civilized human being.

Haha, I wasn't pointing to anyone specifically (didn't note who wrote what), but I would agree, I wouldn't go to superstore during busy times, and thats when most of these problems crop up. Everning time there is all of like 10 people there in the whole store, so super easy to shop

SmAcKpOo
07-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Haha @ this thread.

When I posted my response about immigrants I totally thought I would get trolled for being a racist. Glad to see there are others out there like me!

guessboi
07-31-2012, 11:38 PM
Superstore being the closest grocery store for me in Panorama Hills. Note I go there after 9pm though when no one is there. lol

Also hit up Costco, Coop and Sobeys from time to time.

TomcoPDR
08-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Haha @ this thread.

When I posted my response about immigrants I totally thought I would get trolled for being a racist. Glad to see there are others out there like me!

Can't be at fault for truth. I hate Superstore @ Sunridge, or anywhere in the North.

Shawnessy just renovated like 10 months ago, IMO much better spacing, better lanes, and if you'll notice, they've open more tills to clear up the clog. Always stick with businesses trying to impress white people, you can't go wrong.

On the flip side, I don't mind the controled crowd environment @ the Harvest Hills T&T... Asian ppl are for the most part rudely "polite"... it's like they got their own orderly disorder. (so an example is that you try picking out oranges, then out of the blue an Asian mainlander lady would sneek up behind you, then she MUST come bud in and join the fun looking at em oranges too even if she doesn't end up buying any, but at the same time, if you stand your grounds, she knows not to go over to your territory)

And :thumbsup: to T&T for having a number system for their fish & meat department... It's so cool listening to some of your mom's working behind the counter putting an effort learning engrish: serving number runn, true, free...

cancer man
08-01-2012, 06:09 AM
I like the superstore roasted chicken 4 dollars cheaper then fresh.
The lady told me it's because it's an expired bird.
:thumbsup:

Blue
08-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by cancer man

who cares, its cheap and taste good :dunno: :drool:

sputnik
08-01-2012, 07:21 AM

They aren't expired. They just can't stay on the shelf for another day so it either has to be cooked or thrown out.

This is a common practice for all grocery store fried/rotisserie chicken.

HyperZell
08-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

That's what you think.

You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These civilized people...they'll eat each other.

Strider
08-01-2012, 08:44 AM

You think you're getting farm fresh birds from Safeway and Co-op?

Best rotisserie chicken goes to Costco, hands down. And apparently they sell 70,000 per day[1] (http://shop.costco.com/Membership/Welcome/Amazing-Facts.aspx) , so they must be reasonably fresh.

I'll admit there's certain Superstores that I'll never set foot in (usually ones closer to a higher ethnic population), but luckily I live close to a fairly civilized one, so I'll always shop there first. Tried Walmart Supercentre when they first opened up, but the novelty wore off quickly.

sputnik
08-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Strider

You think you're getting farm fresh birds from Safeway and Co-op?

Best rotisserie chicken goes to Costco, hands down. And apparently they sell 70,000 per day[1] (http://shop.costco.com/Membership/Welcome/Amazing-Facts.aspx) , so they must be reasonably fresh.

There are 600 Costco locations. So that works out to about 115 chickens per location.

When I am at my local Sobeys (which is much smaller and has more locations throughout the city) there are generally 40-50 in the display and are usually gone before 6:30pm. I have also seen contractors buying entire birds at lunch as well.

So using volume to make a case for freshness doesn't really put Costco any higher than any other grocery store.

eblend
08-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Another note to follow up on my previous post, if you have a credit card like I do that gives you cash back on grocery purchases, it doesn't work at Walmart, hence I never buy groceries there unless absolutely necessary :D

Sugarphreak
08-01-2012, 10:50 AM

Ven
08-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

serving number runn, true, free...

LOL

Kg810
08-01-2012, 11:21 AM

THIS!!!

My wife is Chinese, and she does this all the time and it drives me crazy! If somebody is looking at something with interest (cloths, oranges, shoes, shampoo, hats... it really doesn't matter) she bolts off and starts looking at the exact same thing while budging in the way of the other person. I am always looking in awe for a few seconds before asking "WTF are you even looking at that!?".

Indeed.

This applies to everything (IE - The Guardian Condo), it's really annoying.

nickyh
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Safeway mostly due to proximity but I am finding there are two cashiers that work on the weekends in the Aspen Landing safeway where i swear the guys scan one item look at it and then bag it. It takes them 30 seconds to scan and bag one item, seriously WTF??? and stop talking, I want to get out of there before i die from old age.

I self check out $100 faster than them on most occaisions.

Signal Hill Superstore is a good 10 to 15 min drive from me for the pleasure of saving a few bucks i get to be pissed off at having to drive that far when i could walk to get groceries and end up with expired dairy & meat, and rotten vegetables.
All Superstores are now on the pantry & cleaning supplies only list.

Costco is a once a month trip if at best, it kills my weekly food budget because you end up buying crap you never went there for to begin with.

botox
08-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Superstore all the way. We only shop during the weekday evenings so it's not that bad. Then there's Costco and I don't like going there cause everytime we do it's like a $400+ bill. But that's when the cash back AMEX comes in handy.

TomcoPDR
08-01-2012, 12:59 PM

THIS!!!

My wife is Chinese, and she does this all the time and it drives me crazy! If somebody is looking at something with interest (cloths, oranges, shoes, shampoo, hats... it really doesn't matter) she bolts off and starts looking at the exact same thing while budging in the way of the other person. I am always looking in awe for a few seconds before asking "WTF are you even looking at that!?".

The way I was explained is. In the true communist China days, the government would limit whats can be given out (can't even buy certain items even if u had money). So like monday could be toilet paper handout, Tuesday could be rice, Wednesday tampon day, etc... So like you'd be like walking down the street (in China) you see a line up to the government military truck or whatever, so you're pretty much obligated to go and lineup too cause you don't wanna miss toilet paper day by the PRC government.

At least that's the story grandma used to tell me how it was when she was a little girl. Till she became an Amercian citizen few decades ago, then it was where my : "wellfare, senior allowance cheques? Giveme giveme giveme". Yum yum bling bling

Sugarphreak
08-01-2012, 01:20 PM

sillysod
08-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I rarely go to Costco because the line is crazy (even going in early with the work card) and I really don't need a 5 gallon drum of mayonaise or a pallet of microwave popcorn.

We live in McKenzie Towne so everything is close off of 130th.

We buy mostly from Safeway. It is generally clean, food is good but the selection is definitely limited and their fish cooler has maybe 3 pieces in it. However their bakery is second to none.

Sobeys is good but it also has limited selection.

Co-op forces me to fight through the tim hortons clusterfuck of traffic so I don't even bother.

Walmart SuperCenter is terrible. I don't mind the canned goods and they have great produce but the meat cuts are the shits.

Superstore is actually really good there with the exception of the produce. It is very hit an miss and moldy strawberries seem to be the norm.

The other thing with Superstore is that instead of putting something that is clearly covered in mold, smashed or gone mushy they just slap a 50% off sticker on it. :banghead:

I try my best not to shop at either SuperStore or WalMart because for some reason it is the only place I constantly get hit with shopping carts. You can be just standing there and some 7 yr old kid pushing a cart at mach1 will smoke you in the ankles while his mom is looking at couscous packages or ufc work out wear.

Disoblige
08-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Safeway bakery is the best compared to the other big stores. That's for sure.

And of course, $8.99 for a giant lumberjack sandwich at Safeway? It feeds a hungry construction worker for 2 day's lunch easily. Love that too.

Superstore muffins are decent though, if they're in stock and not been sitting there all day.

403Gemini
08-01-2012, 04:03 PM

I'd buy that as a reason

When I was touring around China I learned to avoid seniors whenever possible.

Unfortunately it wasn't totally avoidable, at a security check stop where you have to put you bags through an xray machine a tour group of seniors (easily recognizable as they all wear the same color hat so they don't get lost with a leader equipped with a flag and a megaphone) came behind me... as soon as they put their stuff on the xray conveyer belt they went absolutely bat shit crazy as they all seemed to think somebody was going to steal it on the other side! So as I was walking to the other side, at least 10 of them rushed past me, all screaming and franticly waiving and pushing which caused everybody to start getting a uneasy... including the armed guard who was shifting around trying to see what was happening! luckily they were all 4 feet tall so I reached over top and got my bag, however when I did that they all looked at me with horror thinking it might possibly be their bag and at this point another 10 had come and they were all screaming and yelling. I had to really shove a few of them back to get out of that mess. It was a fucked up to say the least.

I was in Beijing last year for a week and holy shit this could not be more true!

Originally posted by Disoblige
Safeway bakery is the best compared to the other big stores. That's for sure.

And of course, $8.99 for a giant lumberjack sandwich at Safeway? It feeds a hungry construction worker for 2 day's lunch easily. Love that too.

Superstore muffins are decent though, if they're in stock and not been sitting there all day.

Sobey's actually has pretty good deserts. I do typically find Sobey's to be the most expensive store for things so I don't go there often except for desserts or booze since their liquor store is easy to get too for me

WhippWhapp
08-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Superstore I avoid- I'm not into bagging my own groceries.

Buy most things at Costco, Co-op and Safeway are for convenience.

I do agree with the post mentioning "traffic" problems in Costco- I find downing a couple beers before trips there eases the pain considerably.

str8jkt
08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Love living in Quarry Park. The brand new Co-Op there might not be the cheapest but it is super clean and always amazingly stocked. Its not as busy because its a newer store in a developing neighbourhood. Also doesn't help having 2 Sobeys (one in Riverbend and the other in Douglasglen) all of 2 minutes drive away. Also Safeway just north of Glenmore on 18th.

CTV still does their price comparisons every month for the grocery stores..

Here is Junes comparison - http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/ctv-grocery-price-comparison-for-june-1.845061

Here was the breakdown this month

Superstore - $154.54
Co-Op - $185.38
Safeway - $192.74
Sobeys - $204.67

Pretty big difference between Sobeys and Superstore.

Would be interesting to see what the prices are for Walmart Supercenters..

speedog
08-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by str8jkt
Love living in Quarry Park. The brand new Co-Op there might not be the cheapest but it is super clean and always amazingly stocked. Its not as busy because its a newer store in a developing neighbourhood. Also doesn't help having 2 Sobeys (one in Riverbend and the other in Douglasglen) all of 2 minutes drive away. Also Safeway just north of Glenmore on 18th.

CTV still does their price comparisons every month for the grocery stores..

Here is Junes comparison - http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/ctv-grocery-price-comparison-for-june-1.845061

Superstore - $154.54
Co-Op - $185.38
Safeway - $192.74
Sobeys - $204.67

Would be interesting to see what the prices are for Walmart Supercenters.. So does the CO-OP membership dividend program (or whatever it's called) make up for the almost 20% more one would pay at CO-OP as compared to Superstore? Just wondering because I dropped my CO-OP membership over 25 years ago after getting tired of watching the old people throw heads of lettuce around looking for just that right one and also because I also got tired of playing dodge-em with all of the old people there - come to think of it, I am almost old enough now to fit in there I suppose, won't be happening though.

ExtraSlow
08-08-2012, 11:15 AM
No, that dividend does NOT make up the 20% extra you are paying.

speedog
08-08-2012, 11:23 AM
So it's like anything else, got to watch prices and often a store's management will often dictate how good the product is in the store. I know that with Superstore that all of the stores have a different feel to them and some do have better produce sections then others - there's also better times/days of the week to shop at them. Do like the north T&T though for certain kinds of fresh fruit that you just can't get at the 4 mainstream places and lately have been purchasing some fresh meats from them - so far have been fairly satisfied with the meat.

CapnCrunch
08-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by speedog
I know that with Superstore that all of the stores have a different feel to them and some do have better produce sections then others

Thats another reason I stopped using them. I buy groceries on Sunday, and by Tuesday half the fruit is moldy, the garlic is sprouting, and the potatoes are mushy.

speedog
08-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Thats another reason I stopped using them. I buy groceries on Sunday, and by Tuesday half the fruit is moldy, the garlic is sprouting, and the potatoes are mushy. Haven't seen that happening with the produce we buy at the Huntington Hills Superstore - which Superstore are you shopping at?

schocker
08-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Haven't seen that happening with the produce we buy at the Huntington Hills Superstore - which Superstore are you shopping at? Could not be checking the produce properly before buying :dunno:
I have never had issues whether sobeys, coop, superstore. Lots of the fruit and such is from the same places anyways.

For me, I switch it up between walmart, superstore, coop, costco for dry goods and produce.
Meat I generally only get at coop or costco though.

sputnik
08-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by str8jkt

Superstore - $154.54
Co-Op - $185.38
Safeway - $192.74
Sobeys - $204.67

Would be interesting to see what the prices are for Walmart Supercenters..

I took a look at the detailed list and the greatest disparity comes in things that don't matter to me, or were VERY seasonal items that were probably much cheaper the next week.

In June you are going to have a major swing when it comes to prices for cherries, apricots and fresh basil. Depending on the supplier and timing those items could drop in price dramatically.

Superstore might be cheaper on average, but unless you are impatient for seasonal items in June you aren't saving 20% in the long run. Would be more interesting to see how their prices compare in a month like January.

Also I find Superstore to have the worst quality produce and meats. It is also annoying that a large portion of the meats are packaged in huge amounts.

speedog
08-08-2012, 12:44 PM
sputnik, good point on the Superstore meat packing - works for us as we are a family of 5 and we have a 25 cubic foot freezer. That said, we have purchased beef quarters from Highwood Valley Ranch as the overall cost per pound comes close to any of the big 4's prices and it's a way better meat product. Singles and couples with no kids - shopping for them maybe precludes Superstore because of how things are packaged.

str8jkt
08-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I took a look at the detailed list and the greatest disparity comes in things that don't matter to me, or were VERY seasonal items that were probably much cheaper the next week.

In June you are going to have a major swing when it comes to prices for cherries, apricots and fresh basil. Depending on the supplier and timing those items could drop in price dramatically.

Superstore might be cheaper on average, but unless you are impatient for seasonal items in June you aren't saving 20% in the long run. Would be more interesting to see how their prices compare in a month like January.

Also I find Superstore to have the worst quality produce and meats. It is also annoying that a large portion of the meats are packaged in huge amounts.

Here's another one for May
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/ctv-grocery-price-comparison-for-may-1.807095

Superstore - $153.03
Co-Op - $189.40
Safeway - $181.45
Sobeys - $192.91

These were the stores used if it matters - CTV priced out 34 items at the Aspen Safeway, West Springs Co-op, Strathcona Sobeys, and Richmond Road Superstore.

I still stick with going to the Quarry Park Co-op. A big part of that is it being the closest store but it is also one of the cleanest and well stocked I have been in..

Kritafo
08-08-2012, 02:46 PM
I shop Costco and Superstore. I can't justify paying 2 and 3 dollars more per item at safeway and sobey's it almost makes me insane.

The biggest thing. Know your prices. I never buy meat at Superstore it's crap. I buy meat at Costco and take the extra time to separate and freeze. We stock up on canned goods when they are sale at superstore.

Don't get me wrong if I am at Walmart and there is a deal I am buying but the quality just isn't there... But I cannot pass up a $1.00 box of little powder sugar donuts ever.

Want to take a chunk out of your food bill...get a garden it's so worth the investment.

boarderfatty
08-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I live Downtown, To get to the nearest Superstore, Walmart, or Costco is a 20 min drive. Safeway is a 4 block walk, Sobeys is 6, and Planet Organic is about 7 blocks. I buy what I want when I need it, usually no more than a few bags at a time. I go to Safeway for the basics, Sobeys for baked goods, and occasionally meat, Planet Organic for produce. There is a Butcher across the street from my shop, the Italian bakery for deli meats and pasta, then an asian supermarket on my drive home for other specialty goods. Shopping at the italian bakery and asian supermarket is actually cheaper than any other grocery store, then going to sobeys and safeway is a little more expensive, but I don't waste an gas driving there and back, plus I save the hour I would spend commuting.

e31
08-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I'll go to Co-op, Safeway, or Sobeys before going to Superstore; i hate dirty sticky grocery isles...

btimbit
08-12-2012, 12:06 AM
I think it's part of being a chef, but since I'm so used to such a fast paced environment where everybody is constantly moving, I absolutely cannot stand long lines and slow cashiers. Hence I avoid Superstore and Wal-Mart

I live in the SW, Evergreen. My close choices are Sobey's, Superstore, Safeway, Co-op, and Wal-mart.

I avoid the Superstore in Shawnessy like the plague. The parking lot is a deathtrap, full of rude immigrants, lines are 20 minutes long. It is ALWAYS busy. I work on the other side of that complex and driving in at 7 in the morning is hazardous. I almost always get hit by a 40+ year old Korean because they've been sitting to get into the parking lot and think I'm going to cut in front, even though I'm signaling to go the other direction.
The food and prices aren't that bad, but the BS to get to it just isn't worth it.

Safeway is pretty good, sometimes it's a bit busy for my tastes but the cashiers seem to know how to move their butt's when the time comes. Store is always clean, product is always good, and the people that shop their aren't complete assholes (although I'd say some are a bit full of themselves) Plus airmiles, I'm a sucker for those things. I go to Safeway most of the time.

I'd say Co-op is just average all across the board. Average prices, averagely clean, tends to be full of rednecks but I'd take that over the pushing Chinese woman in Superstore any day. I rarely end up going to Co-op and I can't think of a reason why...

Sobey's there's actually two within a 6 minute drive for me. Millrise and Bridlewood. I avoid the one in Bridlewood because it always seems busy and, being in Bridlewood it's also full of rude immigrants. (Bridlewood is kinda like a small slice of the NE for us southerners to "enjoy")
The one in Millrise is nice. Comparable to Safeway but a bit more expensive.

Wal-Mart... Well, see my paragraph about Superstore, and multiply all the cons by 10. Especially the long lines. IF you ever intend to buy something from that store, you might not make it back out.

Something else nobody mentioned, if I just need to quickly grab something, like milk, bag of chips, etc, I go to Shoppers Drug Mart. There's three fairly close. They have a decent selection of stuff, can't do a full grocery list there but they have a lot more than you'd think. Stores are always clean, average prices, rarely a lineup. Avoid the one in Shawnessy though, people there always seem rude. One in Millrise is good, and although it's a bit out of the way, the one in Mckenzie towne on 52nd is great.

I don't go to Costco very much, but a small tip for anyone else in the deep south. I find that it takes about the same amount of time to get to the Costco in Deerfoot Meadows as it does to get to the one in Okotoks. The one in Okotoks is vastly less busy, has a cheap gas bar and a liquor store. I love it.

DJ Lazy
08-19-2012, 04:43 PM
I have shopped at Co-op exclusively for as long as I can remember. Parents always went there when I was young, so when I moved out I continued to shop there as well.

I had a brief 2 year stint when I lived in Tuscany that I shopped at Sobey's because it was right down the road and super convenient saved me having to drive though the construction bullshit at Stoney/Crowchild overpass to get to the co-op in Crowfoot , but when I moved out to Airdrie, I went straight back Co-op and never looked back. :)

flipstah
07-14-2014, 11:36 AM
BUMP.

Anyone shop regularly at Calgary Farmer's Market? I've been buying my groceries at Co-op and just wondering if you save $$ heading there?

I'm leaning towards CFM because of the choices on the cuts of meat/seafood (downtown is limited) and just go balls out every week or two.

snoop101
07-14-2014, 11:49 AM
My biggest issue with that cost saving breakdown is two things.

First If you only buy things that are on sale or if atleast 75% of your bill is on sale then the cost is at par or cheaper than superstore.

Second is a big one for me. When I walk into Save on foods or Coop I feel so welcome. When I leave I feel like they know me. We now pay a few dollars more on Rice to buy it from Save on foods to save me from dealing with superstore.

Third (bonus) to be able to walk into a grocery store like Save On foods and have my wife buy fresh fruits while I order up some yummy smoked beef ribs for dinner is a huge plus.

flipstah
07-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Usually, any sticker savings is offset by travel costs (gas, time, etc.)

I guess I should rephrase my question:

Is CFM more expensive than Co-op? I fear that because the Farmer's Market emphasizes 'organic/local' = more $$$

speedog
07-14-2014, 12:01 PM
I will say that you probably are not going to save any money buying any of your meat/dairy/honey/produce/food at a farmers' market - what you will get most times is a better quality product that you're often buying directly from the farmer/producer and especially so if you're shopping at an Alberta approved farmer's market. Where one can realize savings is buying their meat by the quarter from a producer like Highwood Valley Ranch (one example) - definitely a better quality meat product but one has to buy a quarter to start realizing any savings.

Any other type of market is just a public or flea market and often the produce being offered up can be bought at the local mainstream grocery stores - the new Sunridge market (formerly the Marlborough market) sells cases of mangos that one can purchase at Superstore for a cheaper price, same exact brand/variety. Non-Alberta approved farmers' markets can basically get their produce from anywhere - Alberta approved farmer's markets in Calgary (only 5 of them) are the Calgary Farmers' Market, Hillhurst-Sunnyside Farmer's Market, Bridgeland Riverside Farmers' Market, Grassroots Northland Farmers' Market and the recently opened Eau Claire Farmers' Market and these 5 farmers' markets have to follow very strict guidelines to maintain that approved farmers' market status. South Fish Creek and Kingsland (now the Market on Macleod) used to be approved but are now just public markets and as such, the products being offered at those markets may not be all that local akin to Sunridge.

By the way, our family has been involved in the farmer's market business for over 5 years now and we do have a fair bit of knowledge when it comes to farmers' markets, public and flea markets and the reality that things may not be cheaper at a farmer's market or public/flea market. What I do know is that you can buy even produce grown in Calgary at some of the approved farmers' markets and that's getting very local - most meat vendors at approved market's are usually Alberta based as well.

flipstah
07-14-2014, 12:05 PM
I don't mind paying more for quality; so long as the price difference isn't tenfold or something.

Thanks for that, speedog. I'm also going to ask the local butchers at CFM if they carry bones or offal. :drool:

speedog
07-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I don't mind paying more for quality; so long as the price difference isn't tenfold or something.

Thanks for that, speedog. I'm also going to ask the local butchers at CFM if they carry bones or offal. :drool:
Not that I've ever roasted bones, but a lot of pet stores often carry raw frozen beef bones. Can't sell them as human grade food but knowing the producers of these products, these frozen bones are probably as safe as anything you'd get from a butcher. Price wise - hard to say if there's any savings for frozen raw bones purchased at a pet store versus a butcher but there's always supply at the pet stores carrying them. Usually packed with marrow as well because that's what you're probably after - sort of like this...

http://hovenfarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/marrow-930x835.jpg

BTW, Hoven Farms who are at the Market on Macleod (formerly the Kingsland Market) - their price list, link (http://hovenfarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/pricelisthffp.pdf) and they also sell human grade meat as well.

msommers
07-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Some stuff definitely is more expensive at the CFM than anywhere else. I've seen the same bag of carrots at both CFM and Coop and guess which one was 25% more expensive? You definitely pay a bit of a premium there but I like being able to talk to someone about "hey where did this come from!"

There are definitely some things that I love buy there like tomatoes on the vine & dill-sized cucumbers from Gull Valley, cheese from Sylvan Star, and ALL my meat from a few places. Typically when I go I spend like $300+ on meat and put it all the freezer, which lasts quite a few weeks. Then I pop over and quickly grab some produce.

I'm fairly lucky in that Market 17 is right across the street so I don't need to buy produce from CFM often as it's one of those yuppy grocery stores that is relatively expensive compared to Coop/Superstore etc (actually very simliar to Community Foods) but the produce is always really good looking, I don't have to drive anywhere and their selection of cheeses is getting better - most of their bread is so-so minus the French loaf which is fantastic. It's also an excuse to buy wine often since "it's right there anyways" :rofl: I'm extremely impressed with JWebb's to be honest - most of their bottles are ~$20 and there hasn't been one yet that I've disliked. They have some super expensive stuff but honestly it's all between $16-30 and consistently fantastic.

flipstah
07-14-2014, 12:28 PM

Not that I've ever roasted bones, but a lot of pet stores often carry raw frozen beef bones. Can't sell them as human grade food but knowing the producers of these products, these frozen bones are probably as safe as anything you'd get from a butcher. Price wise - hard to say if there's any savings for frozen raw bones purchased at a pet store versus a butcher but there's always supply at the pet stores carrying them. Usually packed with marrow as well because that's what you're probably after - sort of like this...

http://hovenfarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/marrow-930x835.jpg

BTW, Hoven Farms who are at the Market on Macleod (formerly the Kingsland Market) - their price list, link (http://hovenfarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/pricelisthffp.pdf) and they also sell human grade meat as well.

Yeah, looking for human-grade meat because marrow is the best foundation for soup stock :drool:

Oxtail is also good for stews and I'm Asian so I grew up on livers, hearts, entrails, etc.

Originally posted by msommers
Some stuff definitely is more expensive at the CFM than anywhere else. I've seen the same bag of carrots at both CFM and Coop and guess which one was 25% more expensive? You definitely pay a bit of a premium there but I like being able to talk to someone about "hey where did this come from!"

There are definitely some things that I love buy there like tomatoes on the vine & dill-sized cucumbers from Gull Valley, cheese from Sylvan Star, and ALL my meat from a few places. Typically when I go I spend like $300+ on meat and put it all the freezer, which lasts quite a few weeks. Then I pop over and quickly grab some produce.

I'm fairly lucky in that Market 17 is right across the street so I don't need to buy produce from CFM often as it's one of those yuppy grocery stores that is relatively expensive compared to Coop/Superstore etc (actually very simliar to Community Foods) but the produce is always really good looking, I don't have to drive anywhere and their selection of cheeses is getting better - most of their bread is so-so minus the French loaf which is fantastic. It's also an excuse to buy wine often since "it's right there anyways" :rofl: I'm extremely impressed with JWebb's to be honest - most of their bottles are ~$20 and there hasn't been one yet that I've disliked. They have some super expensive stuff but honestly it's all between $16-30 and consistently fantastic.

I think the variety is more enticing for CFM than savings. Co-op downtown is nice but if I'm getting meat elsewhere, might as well buy everything for one trip. I think I'll head over to CFM and shop there this weekend.

speedog
07-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Kind of odd that you find the exact same branded bag of carrots at both CFM and COOP but I suppose it's possible as COOP probably buys from some local Alberta or BC farmers or a distributor who remarkets those farmer's wares.

It's like anything, one has to be savvy when shopping - otherwise you'll pay more for that box of mangos at a market as opposed to Superstore.

And for the record, pretty much all of our family's groceries are bought at a regular grocery store and my wife manages the farmers' market that is owned by a non-profit that she sits on the board of. That's not to say we don't shop at her farmer's market, we do but the bulk of our groceries are bought where we can the best bang for our buck.

flipstah
07-14-2014, 12:41 PM

Kind of odd that you find the exact same branded bag of carrots at both CFM and COOP but I suppose it's possible as COOP probably buys from some local Alberta or BC farmers or a distributor who remarkets those farmer's wares.

It's like anything, one has to be savvy when shopping - otherwise you'll pay more for that box of mangos at a market as opposed to Superstore.

And for the record, pretty much all of our family's groceries are bought at a regular grocery store and my wife manages the farmers' market that is owned by a non-profit that she sits on the board of. That's not to say we don't shop at her farmer's market, we do but the bulk of our groceries are bought where we can the best bang for our buck.

It just makes no sense (to me) buying groceries from multiple sources. Time is $.

speedog
07-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
It just makes no sense (to me) buying groceries from multiple sources. Time is $.
Yes it is and that's why Superstore and T&T are our two main go to's - yeah, I know all about the Superstore bashing but the one we shop at is Calgary's smallest and is quite good IMHO.