PDA

View Full Version : New Go Kart Track In Calgary Opening

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

A2VR6
02-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Hasn't been reconfigured yet. Last I heard they may be doing it after they close tonight

austic
02-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Can you race at pro speed if all your friends are still at Race speed? I think i have one more race till the pro speed test, but none of my friends are anywhere near the pro speed test.

jacky4566
02-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Nope. They are strict with thier rules. You wanna race at man speed, you gotta do your time in ranks first.

Tell them to buy a 10 pack. They will get to pro speed really quick then.

MalibuStacy
02-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by austic
Can you race at pro speed if all your friends are still at Race speed? I think i have one more race till the pro speed test, but none of my friends are anywhere near the pro speed test.
Into the frying pan with you!

ExtraSlow
02-14-2014, 09:13 AM
I'm all over the track at race speed. I really need some practice or pointers before I'm ready for pro speed. I think I'm several races away anyway.
when do they do those tutorial sessions? I need that bad.

Cody D
02-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm all over the track at race speed. I really need some practice or pointers before I'm ready for pro speed. I think I'm several races away anyway.
when do they do those tutorial sessions? I need that bad.

Whenever I've found that I am all over the track it is usually because I am not slowing enough for the corners that matter, if you are too aggressive you will slide the corners and lose a lot of time.

MGCM
02-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Cody D

Whenever I've found that I am all over the track it is usually because I am not slowing enough for the corners that matter, if you are too aggressive you will slide the corners and lose a lot of time.

x2 the above, you might not notice it at first but on short courses like this being really tight and clean is a big key to obtaining a good lap time. Next time try to slow down for corners a bit sooner and eventually with enough practice you will learn how much extra speed you can squeeze out of certain corners.

pheoxs
02-14-2014, 03:20 PM
The think that helped me most get more consistent and improve is using markers.

Come out of turn A, exit and aim for that red barrier follow wall until that white barrier, brake, at that red barrier I turn in, aim to apex at that barrier etc. Once you get used to it, you can run the line without actually thinking about it, but initially or when they first change up the track, its a good way to keep your braking points relatively consistent as well as your entrys and exits.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-14-2014, 03:24 PM
If you brake for more than one corner on this track, you're braking too much IMO.

pheoxs
02-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
If you brake for more than one corner on this track, you're braking too much IMO.

How is the Calgary setup? I've only ever been to the Edmonton one, been meaning to try the one down here out.

wintonyk
02-14-2014, 04:15 PM
If you brake, you're braking too much IMO.

fixed.

At race speed I have the pedal buried for the whole lap except turn the second right turn. Including the hairpin, you will get a little bit of understeer on that.

At pro speed, the engine braking i find is enough to make all corners cleanly.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

fixed.

At race speed I have the pedal buried for the whole lap except turn the second right turn. Including the hairpin, you will get a little bit of understeer on that.

At pro speed, it's quicker to brake for corner two than to coast , coasting to slow down is a waste of time, if you stay on the power longer and brake quickly before entering the corner you will be faster.

Cody D
02-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

fixed.

For the experienced guys there is no braking, for a new guy who is having trouble keeping his line it's best to brake until he gets better.

MalibuStacy
02-15-2014, 12:37 AM

At pro speed, it's quicker to brake for corner two than to coast , coasting to slow down is a waste of time, if you stay on the power longer and brake quickly before entering the corner you will be faster.
X2 I find at pro speed, all you need is a touch on the brakes on entry and then plant the "go" pedal on exit

Canmorite
09-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Bump. Managed a 22.275 (slow speed) on a full track. Anyone else go often? It was a total blast.

The new configuration (to what everyone else is posting) is a little tighter towards the back end of the track.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-25-2014, 12:50 PM
I havent been in ages, too busy doing auto x.

spikerS
09-25-2014, 02:12 PM
I havent been in ages, too busy doing auto x.

I am too fat to compete with you fuckers.

now, lets go race at COP on the downhill carts. :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

I am too fat to compete with you fuckers.

now, lets go race at COP on the downhill carts. :rofl:

If its still open this year I am in lol.

BavarianBeast
11-19-2014, 03:02 PM
So I'm headed with some of the guys in my department this afternoon.

Any tips for a first timer? I already bet everybody I'd win... :rofl:

rage2
11-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Weigh 20lbs less than everyone else. Throw up your lunch, eat tons of laxatives, don't drink any water haha.

BavarianBeast
11-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Haha! Well, time to start the preparation.

Canmorite
11-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
So I'm headed with some of the guys in my department this afternoon.

Any tips for a first timer? I already bet everybody I'd win... :rofl:

The karts shed speed fairly quickly, only brake for one corner on current track setup (after straightaway). Cut the corners as close as you can and hug the inside line as you don't need to go wide (karts don't really push that much), only need to go a bit wider for the hairpin after the straightaway.

I managed a 17.7x last week, post your times!

l/l/rX
11-19-2014, 04:18 PM
I've only been 3 times and I'm ranked #94 already. 17.849 is my fastest lap thus far.

BavarianBeast
11-21-2014, 03:51 PM
I didn't do as well as I had anticipated haha. The best out of the group was an extremely small guy, weighing about 100lbs.

He managed to get 18.1.

My best time was 18.421. I didn't use brakes, just left off the throttle a little early on corners. We only had a couple races though, but it was a blast! I will definitely be back.

I don't know if it was just me, but on the second race the tires felt a lot more slick and I was drifting a lot of the corners that I was having no trouble accelerating through on the previous race. It made dealing with the pit crews a bit of a pain because they kept warning me after just about every corner lol.

When you get your 'pro' card or whatever, do they allow drifting? It seems inevitable if you are pushing the cart around some of those corners..I can imagine even more so with the pro mode on.

wintonyk
11-21-2014, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
I didn't do as well as I had anticipated haha. The best out of the group was an extremely small guy, weighing about 100lbs.

He managed to get 18.1.

My best time was 18.421. I didn't use brakes, just left off the throttle a little early on corners. We only had a couple races though, but it was a blast! I will definitely be back.

I don't know if it was just me, but on the second race the tires felt a lot more slick and I was drifting a lot of the corners that I was having no trouble accelerating through on the previous race. It made dealing with the pit crews a bit of a pain because they kept warning me after just about every corner lol.

When you get your 'pro' card or whatever, do they allow drifting? It seems inevitable if you are pushing the cart around some of those corners..I can imagine even more so with the pro mode on.

they are more anal about drifting when you have pro speed. no tire chirp kinda thing.

93VR6
06-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Anyone checked out the track layout? Yesterday was the first day for it.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Haven't been in ages. My RPM rank is still 92 overall :P

Cos
12-09-2015, 09:20 AM

FraserB
12-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Went a few weeks ago and the design was the same. Took a bit of getting used to again, bit not a big deal.

Cos
12-09-2015, 10:03 AM

rage2
12-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Don't eat or drink anything. Pop an ex lax. Shit it all out. If you have time, get a colonic. 4/10ths right there.

Mibz
12-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Don't eat or drink anything. Pop an ex lax. Shit it all out. If you have time, get a colonic. 4/10ths right there. Still not enough to beat me.

sumguy777
12-09-2015, 01:16 PM
This place is garbage. High turnover rates and terrible service. Notice how they are always hiring on kijiji every week?

My experience there was horrible. I was on race speed not breaking any rules, I didn't bump, drift or crash into anyone and they actually slowed my damn kart down. From 24.1s to 28.6 and on. Race marshall wouldnt own up.

Fuk that place.

http://s12.postimg.org/zcwyog665/Fuck_speeders.jpg

zipdoa
12-09-2015, 05:32 PM
FYI - There's a height and weight limit for speeders. If you're a taller or heavier dude, give em a call before hand and ask if you'll qualify. :banghead:

Mibz
12-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
FYI - There's a height and weight limit for speeders. If you're a taller or heavier dude, give em a call before hand and ask if you'll qualify. :banghead: You fit in literally 9 vehicles in the world and you're surprised you can't fit in a go-kart?

zipdoa
12-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
You fit in literally 9 vehicles in the world and you're surprised you can't fit in a go-kart?

Heightism at its finest ladies and gentlemen.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-09-2015, 06:39 PM
I don't bother going anymore, my RPM got reset since I was mia for most of the year. They were also quite rude to a friend who was apparently just overweight and told him he was banned for a month and better luck next time.

J.M.
12-09-2015, 07:10 PM
Looks like I'll never be going here lol

Cos
12-09-2015, 09:16 PM

Stuart
12-10-2015, 09:54 AM
I don't bother going anymore, my RPM got reset since I was mia for most of the year. They were also quite rude to a friend who was apparently just overweight and told him he was banned for a month and better luck next time.

They have switched how they do the RPM, so that it is now a yearly competition with prizes associated, so in reality it is better than the old system that meant nothing other than bragging rights.

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Well we went today, again the old white guy was worked up as usual. Surprised he hasn't had a heart attack yet. However everyone else was nice. Got 6 races in and they let me do my pro-speed test after. Not sure if I would go with my own money again but not AS bad as I remember.

Still, I wonder if they got some good management or ownership, or whatever the problem is if it would improve dramatically.

Saw that dude for the first time when I went at the end of Nov. Everyone else is super laid back, but he looks like he's about to pop a vein watching F1.

ExtraSlow
09-28-2016, 09:27 AM
This place was pretty dead last night. And I still suck. Man I need some tips.

Beyond shitty cart-pilots meet?

revelations
09-28-2016, 10:32 AM
^id be in. During the day is ok too ....

Zhao Kan
09-28-2016, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by sumguy777
This place is garbage. High turnover rates and terrible service. Notice how they are always hiring on kijiji every week?

My experience there was horrible. I was on race speed not breaking any rules, I didn't bump, drift or crash into anyone and they actually slowed my damn kart down. From 24.1s to 28.6 and on. Race marshall wouldnt own up.

Fuk that place.

http://s12.postimg.org/zcwyog665/Fuck_speeders.jpg

Sounds like Edmonton. Fuck that place as well.

I went when it first opened up but it was clear they didn't know a damn thing about racing or go karts. They had equally noob people marshaling. I was passing a guy on the straight and he decides to block and sideswipe me like noobs do so they reduced my speed for the rest of the night and flagged my account as a dangerous driver. I was always in the top 10 everytime I showed up, and I'm 215lbs so I have a huge disadvantage. You don't go fast by hitting people or rubbing people; that costs time, but they were too stupid to understand their guys with 5 minutes training don't exactly know much.

Found that out when they talked to me the next time I went so I just started hitting stuff to give them a legit reason and never went back.

v2kai
09-28-2016, 03:30 PM
went to speeders Calgary this afternoon. Completely dead, just me and a buddy. couple came in after us. this was just after lunch, early afternoon.

grip was a hit and miss on the karts. kind of a buzz kill when you get out for your laps and realize your damn cart wont turn in and is just an understeering plow the whole time.

also seemed that one of their staff was a bit over the top with the rules but meh that's his job not gonna hold it against him and I think he was a newer addition. Some of the more familiar faced staff were more reasonable.

Rocket1k78
09-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Stopped going a year ago because of the same complaints, i get it these are expensive carts but you cant be super anal about every little thing when you're cramming every single racer on the track at once whether youve been there or not.

zhao
10-01-2016, 11:30 AM
When I went I found it annoying that they were maintained randomly.

These are electric karts and I looked into them and did a fair bit of math on them. The fastest kart should be the one with the smallest most worn out drive tires. Why that is is because these things are not hitting crazy speeds yet they are designed to top out at 70+? the type of motor they have should have a flat torque curve and a perfect bell curve for hp. peak power will be at 50% rpms, so 35ish. the smaller tires will lower that down, which on a small indoor gokart track means new tall drive tires = less power at 30kph than worn out tiny drive tires at 30kph.

The other thing is at least in Edmonton, they change tires only on a need to do basis, so you'd have a single new tire on one wheel and 3 other randomly sized tires on the rest of the kart. This made karts handle inconsistently, so you'd get a kart understeering like crazy and another oversteering.

I'm a pretty consistent driver (I get called a robot and surgeon in road racing) and I found the variations on karts were as big as 1 second for every 20 seconds driven. That's pretty huge and if you're going for fast times, getting put in the wrong kart is annoying. And IMO if you're not going for a fast time, you're not racing.

rage2
10-01-2016, 07:27 PM
The torque curve is programmable on these karts. Since most people driving them aren't skilled enough to drive them at the limits, it's programmed to have less torque output at low speeds then ramps up as speeds increase (even in pro mode) which is backwards for an electric kart. It makes them easier to handle powering out of corners.

ExtraSlow
10-03-2016, 06:58 AM
What is an actual decent time on the current track at "race" speed if you are a bigger dude. I'm not skinny asian, weigh a hair over 200 lbs, which I know isn't helping the times, although I'm also sure my poor technique hurts me more.
Most recent trip, best time was 23.04.