PDA

View Full Version : New Go Kart Track In Calgary Opening

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Cash Money Hoes
07-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Apparently these guys are opening a new indoor go-kart track here in Calgary toward the end of this year.

http://www.speeders.ca/

The Track is going to be located up near the Deerfoot outlet mall. It should be a a similar facility to what they have in Edmonton.

As I understand it, they are electric karts. Has anyone gone to the Edmonton track? Any reviews or feedback?

It should be far superior to the one and only public track we have here in Calgary.

Also, because it is indoors there will be karting all year round.

89s1
07-31-2012, 05:09 PM
If its as good as Speedworld is in Winnipeg then I'm stoked.

Not sure about the electric carts tho, I'll have to try them.

Anomaly
07-31-2012, 05:56 PM
I've been to the edmonton location, it's pretty fun. Track is a little too short though. The electric carts are decent, after a couple visits they let you max them out (around 70km\h i think) the first time you go though I think the carts are limited to 50km\h. Gas carts are still more fun.

kevie88
07-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Awesome!

nykz
07-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Thats awesome, so close to home too! Haven't been karting in a while :clap:

eglove
07-31-2012, 07:29 PM
I've been to the edmonton one a couple times. Only gripes is the track is kinda short, and IMO a bit on the expensive side.

2.2vtec
07-31-2012, 07:31 PM
nothing beats the track in Montreal, bring something like that here and then i'll be excited!

pheoxs
07-31-2012, 10:42 PM
I've been lots to the one in Edmonton, lots of fun and enjoy going there, just pretty pricey.

Best deal is Monday / Tuesday buy 2 get 1 free, so 3 races for 40$

Laps are 22 seconds a lap and you get 14 laps, so ~18 minutes total racing for 40$

Weekends are ridiculously busy, your looking at 1 race every hour or hour and a half unless you book as a group.

You can book a grand prix for 8 or more people, but its more $ than booking the races individually (mainly because you get priority and can do all the races in a hour rather than half a day sort of thing)

Its fun going with friends, just $ adds up fast. You could easily do 10 races in 2 hours if its not that busy and drop 100-150$

But for the beyond ballers, itll be alright

Xtrema
07-31-2012, 11:02 PM
So, are they taking over Sear's location?

EM1FTW
07-31-2012, 11:32 PM
if its better then kartworld i'll be happy!

Kittens11
07-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Where did you here this anyway? Doesn't seem to be any info about a Calgary location on the site

v2kai
08-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Awesome! Better than what we have now that's for sure. Every time I visit Edmonton I make a point to hit up Speeders. Is a little heavy on the wallet but carts are decent enough. I hope they have late hours.

Spoons
08-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by 89s1
If its as good as Speedworld is in Winnipeg then I'm stoked.

Not sure about the electric carts tho, I'll have to try them.

I've played around with the electric karts.... HOLY FUCKING SHIT some of them are fast.

You have to take into consideration that this isn't like an electric car. Karts are much much lighter, so the bigger electric motors have enough power to push the karts with ease. As well with the electric motor you have linear power, as soon as you put your foot on it, you are at peak HP and rippin'. I assure you they won't disappoint.

I've been going through withdrawals since Grand Prix closed down, so this should be good!

EDIT: Reading into it, Karts reach speeds of 70 km/h so shouldn't be a worry.

rage2
08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Most important is that there's more torque than grip, otherwise I'll get my ass kicked from weight penalty hahaha.

Mibz
08-01-2012, 09:49 AM
You'll still suffer aerodynamic inefficiency, fatty.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Woo stoked to have another carting place after Grand Prix closed down.

rage2
08-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Nothing mad skillz can't overcome.

benyl
08-01-2012, 10:07 AM

I've only met you once, but...

Pot... Kettle...:rofl: :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
08-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Nothing mad skillz can't overcome.

haha reminds me of a red b class chasing down my 1m on stoney.

Mibz
08-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by benyl

I've only met you once, but...

Pot... Kettle...:rofl: :rofl: I recently lost 30lb, so I'm making up for 3 years of harassment, haha.

flipstah
08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
GAME. ON. :drool:

Markll7
08-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I've been to the Edmonton track as well, like someone mentioned it's kind of expensive for what you get. I hope they come up with a dynamic track.

KRyn
08-01-2012, 01:47 PM
This place looks bunk... Found this on their webpage!

1. No drifting is allowed.
Please use your brakes before the corners to slow down and avoid drifting your kart. You will get better lap times with a smooth turn.

2. Excessive tire screeching will end your race early.
Tire screeching results from turning abruptly or going into a corner too fast which causes the tires to lose traction. Make sure to steer smoothly. Smooth is fast!

I guess that means I shouldn't watch Tokoyo Drift to get in the zone and warm up my mad tight JDM drifting skills before I show up everytime...

Cash Money Hoes
08-01-2012, 01:48 PM
To the person that was asking about it being the sears location, I recently read that the american chain Nordstrom's bought the rights to several sears locations and the deerfoot outlet mall was one of them.

The go kart track is going to be up on Aero Drive in about 50,000 SF. If anyone knows how big the Edmonton location is, this would give a good indication of how large the new track will be in comparison.

sputnik
08-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

Please use your brakes before the corners to slow down and avoid drifting your kart. You will get better lap times with a smooth turn.

Well... they are correct.

sputnik
08-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Cash Money Hoes
To the person that was asking about it being the sears location, I recently read that the american chain Nordstrom's bought the rights to several sears locations and the deerfoot outlet mall was one of them.

The Nordstrom will be going into Chinook.

Deerfoot Mall is a dump and will never see a Nordstrom. That would be like opening a Victoria's Secret store in the Marlborough Mall.

MGCM
08-01-2012, 02:32 PM

2. Excessive tire screeching will end your race early.
Tire screeching results from turning abruptly or going into a corner too fast which causes the tires to lose traction. Make sure to steer smoothly. Smooth is fast!

I guess that means I shouldn't watch Tokoyo Drift to get in the zone and warm up my mad tight JDM drifting skills before I show up everytime...

So what your saying is that when u go play hockey u spend time getting pumped up and in the zone playing golf minutes before u play hockey? That makes perfect sence to go along with your amazing idea that karts were somehow meant to be drifted..........how often do u see F1 drivers "drifting" around corners??? Never? O right because karts ARE NOT BUILT TO BE DRIFTED U DUMB SHIT. Dont like it? Build your own karting business and u can drift your profits away all day long.

rage2
08-01-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm going to Maldonado drift into Mibz to make the pass.

MGCM
08-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm going to Maldonado drift into Mibz to make the pass.

Only if u do it with your AMG-BS lolz i kid i kid

KRyn
08-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by MGCM

So what your saying is that when u go play hockey u spend time getting pumped up and in the zone playing golf minutes before u play hockey? That makes perfect sence to go along with your amazing idea that karts were somehow meant to be drifted..........how often do u see F1 drivers "drifting" around corners??? Never? O right because karts ARE NOT BUILT TO BE DRIFTED U DUMB SHIT. Dont like it? Build your own karting business and u can drift your profits away all day long.

Hey queer bait, it was a joke. Don't get your panties in a knot.

Also nice comparison of F1 cars to these karts... Jeez some people.

Spoons
08-01-2012, 02:49 PM

Or grammar and sentence structure out of whack.

Fuck sakes you want someone to take your chirp seriously, at least make it readable. YOU DUMB SHIT!

MGCM
08-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Joke? Go read your whole post again dumbass, i see no "lol" and no reference to "its a joke" anywhere in your post.......im supposed to infer that your joking? No offense but i assume ppl are stupid until proven otherwise, u left no proof or evidence that u were joking, and i have known ppl who would actually post exactly what u did and would actually be disappointed they can't drift the karts.......im sorry i didnt gradute from the same grammer school as everyone else, i must have said fuck class that day and went for a nice long drive instead

KRyn
08-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Joke? Go read your whole post again dumbass, i see no "lol" and no reference to "its a joke" anywhere in your post.......im supposed to infer that your joking? No offense but i assume ppl are stupid until proven otherwise, u left no proof or evidence that u were joking, and i have known ppl who would actually post exactly what u did and would actually be disappointed they can't drift the karts.......im sorry i didnt gradute from the same grammer school as everyone else, i must have said fuck class that day and went for a nice long drive instead

Is it hard being stupid and uneducated? :rofl:
I figured my reference to a horrible movie and saying "mad tight JDM drifting skills" would be enough for the average person to infer I was joking. But then again you are not the average person as you apparently flunked out of grade school.

Anyways to get back on topic, the pricing at this place appears to be fair. I am excited to check it out.

Mibz
08-01-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm going to Maldonado drift into Mibz to make the pass. Can't tell if you're calling me black or Mexican. Either way, I'm offended.

know1edge
08-02-2012, 12:31 AM

You can tell this was a joke because the spelling and grammar was way off

gamman
08-02-2012, 10:59 PM
electric indoor carts? Great idea. Last time I was indoor, at the furniture mart 5yrs ago?, couldn't get by my buddy, I was in the "slower" cart, and he was in the stinky cart. my face was this green for 3 hours afterwards.

:barf:

50ksqft is ~half the size of zellers or smaller superstore. Really f'ing big, for just a cart store in calgary. I wish them well, but rent, taxes and op costs will kill them, unless they get a % rent deal or something. Would have to be the worst retail location in calgary.

cycosis
08-03-2012, 07:22 PM
^Deerfoot mall is one of them. I had % rent there and I closed up shop hahhha

Disoblige
08-28-2012, 04:08 PM
I think I saw a truck of theirs recently. It was a black truck with decals on it which I believe said "Speeders". It was something Go-Kart related for sure though.

Pretty excited to see a new Go Kart place open shortly :D

buh_buh
08-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Is there a date for the opening?

wtf im nameless
08-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Wow... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Really looking forward to this place opening, can't wait to give it a try.

beyond_ban
10-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Anyone know when they are supposed to open? I saw a lancer all decaled out in their company name cruising around the airport and was reminded about this thread.

brunei_boi64
10-04-2012, 07:48 PM
place is okay. if its like the edmonton one, you will need to run 15 races and then ask to be tested on pro speed to be able to use the karts fully unlocked.

eclipse.soul
10-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Been to the Edmonton one many times since it's opened (as I live in Edmonton). Not gonna lie, it was much MUCH better when it first opened. Since then, it's really gone downhill.

Alot of the karts were neglected, with tires being worn down to the wear bars, steering wheels not straight anymore, and seat latches not working so you couldn't adjust the seating position. Also the track was not cleaned often, leaving alot of debris to build up, causing the karts to slide around quite a bit (especially with the worn out tires).

Of course with the sliding around, you get flagged with a "no drifting" sign. If you make a mistake, you get flagged again for screwing around. Another thing with their flagging is that they never really seem when to use them. For example, once I was tailing a friend (literally inches) for the entire race, but he was never given a blue flag to let me pass. Meanwhile, another buddy of mine gets a blue flag to let someone a good ten feet behind him pass (ten feet is alot on a small track like this). wtf.

And then of course since you're tailing someone so close, it's hard not to accidentally bump into them from behind if they brake suddenly (no brake lights mean no real warning - you just gotta pay attention), or if they hit the barrier and slow down for example. Of course, yet again, if you bump into them, even if it was unavoidable, you get flagged for that.

Hell you know what, you get flagged for everything. Their staff really have no knowledge of racing whatsoever, thus making the kart racing experience kinda difficult to bare. I'm not just saying that based off of what I've seen either. A few friends of mine used to work there, all with varrying degrees of experience in racing (autox, road racing, open wheel or whatever it's called) and when they did work there the owner pretty much took none of their input into account, thus they all quit.

This place was alot of fun when it first opened, with alot of the guys from 780Tuners going weekly (myself included). Nowadays though, from what I hear, it's pretty dead there and no one really goes anymore thanks to the poor management and upkeep of the place. Hopefully the Calgary one's a bit better and doesn't mimic the Edmonton location.

brunei_boi64 - is that you Desmond lol.

ga16i
11-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Went to the Edmonton location last week, and had a blast. Haven't done this before, but I thought it was a nice clean place and the karts seems to work well. I'll probably go once or twice a year if it comes to Calgary.

bart
12-12-2012, 06:09 PM
bump any updates? i'm wondering how it will compare to schumachers :D

http://i.imgur.com/rwFNC.jpg

Mibz
12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
They haven't updated their FB in a while. I have a feeling it'll be February before we see it.

sputnik
12-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Electric carts?

Meh.

I also really wonder how they deal with the traction on the smooth concrete floors.

buh_buh
12-13-2012, 12:22 PM
drive smoothly

JfuckinC
12-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Electric carts?

Meh.

I also really wonder how they deal with the traction on the smooth concrete floors.

sticky ass tires, Grand Prix that was at cross roads had smooth concrete floors, and no traction issues.. until we poored water on it :rofl:

Mibz
12-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Electric karts ftw. The worst part of karting is getting a different kart every time. If these things are consistent then they're gonna get a lot of business from me.

MGCM
12-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Electric karts ftw. The worst part of karting is getting a different kart every time. If these things are consistent then they're gonna get a lot of business from me.

beyond go kart cup? Anyone interested?

Mibz
12-13-2012, 01:25 PM
That's the plan, haha. These guys have a Championship package, with practice, quali and medals. If they can change up the track a few times a year (or more) then I think it'll be a blast.

Tik-Tok
12-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Electric karts ftw.

:werd: For indoor tracks anyways. Large Outdoor karting needs gas.

Not too far from work, I can see a weekly lunchtime ritual when it opens :thumbsup:

Kramerica
12-13-2012, 02:06 PM

Definitely down, never tried gokarts before, I think it would be a blast.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Can't wait for these to open I hope they are half decent!

Cooked Rice
12-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Drive by this place everyday, might try to get a sneak peak.

A2VR6
12-14-2012, 01:42 AM

I dont think you'll have a problem getting a full grid :thumbsup: id be totally down

MGCM
12-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

I dont think you'll have a problem getting a full grid :thumbsup: id be totally down

i will start planning something for say May 2013, hopefully its open by then

Mibz
12-18-2012, 11:02 AM
They just posted this photo. I'm pumped!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/548736_450626115001141_725297241_n.jpg

rage2
12-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Nice background. Rubbin' is racing!

rage2
12-18-2012, 11:09 AM
That's the plan, haha. These guys have a Championship package, with practice, quali and medals. If they can change up the track a few times a year (or more) then I think it'll be a blast.
Even if they don't change up the track, we can do a championship where after qualifying, a coin toss determines standard or reverse grid order to change things up. I doubt they'll allow ballasts to keep the weight the same for everyone, so it's incentive to go anorexic for the championship! lol

Mibz
12-18-2012, 11:13 AM
At least I know I'll have an advantage over [Gage].

sputnik
12-18-2012, 11:14 AM
so it's incentive to go anorexic for the championship!

That depends on how they handle traction.

At Speedworld in Winnipeg there is better cornering ability for the bigger guys, but the lighter guys have better acceleration in the straights.

My aunt and uncle were in the top 3 lap times for a long time and there is a 70 pound difference between them.

bart
12-18-2012, 12:19 PM
if no ballast we just need to come up with our own PAX system ;)

88CRX
12-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know the location yet?

Nevermind…. See it’s near deerfoot mall.

Kramerica
12-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by bart
if no ballast we just need to come up with our own PAX system ;)

If we're having a pax for weight then I want a pax for height :rofl:

MGCM
12-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica

If we're having a pax for weight then I want a pax for height :rofl:

i guess i need a pax for both :thumbsup:

InRich
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM
we should do a beyond event there. i'd come!

bart
12-18-2012, 04:39 PM
someone call ask when it opens officially

Mibz
12-18-2012, 04:59 PM
They don't have a date yet, or else they'd post it.

Also, fucking call them yourself :P

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Screw PAX I say we leave it to the driver.

bart
12-18-2012, 05:10 PM
then all the people from auschwitz will win

Tomaz
12-18-2012, 05:13 PM
After doing K1 Speed in Ontario, California, I don't think this will compare in awesomeness. I'll try it at least once though!

Disoblige
12-18-2012, 07:29 PM
^^ Haha, doesn't matter too much. Calgary needs this badly, and at least if it's here you can go there with a bunch of friends which will make it more fun.

A2VR6
12-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
After doing K1 Speed in Ontario, California, I don't think this will compare in awesomeness. I'll try it at least once though!

I believe they use the same karts as K1 Speed... obviously much smaller facility (doubt there will be 3 tracks under one facility like K1 speed... that place is amazing).

Mibz
12-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
^^ Haha, doesn't matter too much. Calgary needs this badly, and at least if it's here you can go there with a bunch of friends which will make it more fun. Yup. I'll take what I can get.

MGCM
12-18-2012, 11:46 PM
maybe if calgary supports this facility properly they can expand down the road

Tomaz
12-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

I believe they use the same karts as K1 Speed... obviously much smaller facility (doubt there will be 3 tracks under one facility like K1 speed... that place is amazing).

They are the same Karts, but I am sure that the power settings are going to be set up completely different when compared. Along with the over-controlling Nancies with put a downer on the experience.

bart
12-19-2012, 04:58 PM
spec is 20hp??

Kramerica
12-19-2012, 05:08 PM
But it's electronic so you can get all 20hp all at once unless they've set it up otherwise. I don't know much about gokarts though.

Tomaz
12-19-2012, 05:30 PM
From what I learned at K1, there are 4 settings on the karts: Beginner, moderate, advanced, and "off". Each setting gives a certain percentage of the available power.

Eg: Beginner is 40%, Moderate is 60%, advanced is 80%, and Off will give you full power.

All the karts are controlled by either a podium computer and/or something that resembles a hotdog vendor tray. The controller can limit the pack of karts, or individual karts for different scenarios (eg: emergency stop after a crash, or limiting horseplay).

When at K1, the staff was awesome and qualified us to fully unlock the karts when I was there. Some of the others were bumping, so they had their karts restricted while my group ran circles around them lol. The same karts were used at Pole Position in Vegas, and they never fully unlock the karts, plus they limit your power if you drive any faster than an old oriental woman.

Though both places are essentially the same, I had a much better experience at K1 than I did at Pole Position. Hence why I am hesitant to be excited for this place opening here.

Kramerica
12-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Wonder if we could convince them to unlock the karts if we all qualify within a certain time

Mibz
12-20-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm sure if the same group of guys keep going and don't act like children then it wouldn't be hard to convince them.

Disoblige
12-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Does anyone who frequents Edmonton's location know how they do it there? Do they let groups they know and trust ride in unlocked karts?

diamondedge
12-20-2012, 01:53 PM
If this is anything like my experience at K1 Speed I am totally down..

A2VR6
12-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Does anyone who frequents Edmonton's location know how they do it there? Do they let groups they know and trust ride in unlocked karts?

Not sure about groups but since I knew a guy who worked there and he gave me "full power" (whatever that is) my first time there. Usually they make you build up to it after a certain amount of races

pheoxs
12-20-2012, 02:23 PM

You have to do a minimum of ten races at normal speed ('race speed') then you get to do a trial at high speed 'pro speed' and if you don't drive like an ass, you pass and then can jump into 'pro speed' races whenever you like.

Races are either 'race' or 'pro' speed, there is never mixed races. Once you've completed your test there's just a little flag on your account saying you can join/make any pro speed race.

Also completing your test they allow you to do the track backwards as well at either speed (again, no mixed racing)

Disoblige
12-20-2012, 02:34 PM
^^ Awesome clarification. Thanks!

Kramerica
12-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Website says Calgary location is opening December/January

MGCM
12-21-2012, 05:46 PM
we could do a winter cup in jan/feb

bart
01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
bump! updates? saw an ad in the paper they are hiring

flipstah
01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Very excited for this! Was informed this was good to go.

MGCM
01-05-2013, 09:18 PM
someone needs to post the exact addy and perhaps a contact #? is there a webpage?

Disoblige
01-05-2013, 09:29 PM
The most updated information is so far here:
https://www.facebook.com/SpeedersCalgary

Dedicated Calgary FB page.

xnvy
01-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by bart
bump! updates? saw an ad in the paper they are hiring

I kind of want to apply lol.

MGCM
01-07-2013, 07:24 PM
The most updated information is so far here:
https://www.facebook.com/SpeedersCalgary

Dedicated Calgary FB page.

and for those of us boycotting fakebook? Time for the owners to pony up and pay for a proper webpage.......imho of course :thumbsup:

v2kai
01-07-2013, 07:35 PM

and for those of us boycotting fakebook? Time for the owners to pony up and pay for a proper webpage.......imho of course :thumbsup:

http://www.speeders.ca/ from OP

as for updates for Calgary specific location... seems facebook is it. Once actual location and grand opening is official it'll make the main page. everything on facebook is just teasers

MGCM
01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by v2kai

http://www.speeders.ca/ from OP

as for updates for Calgary specific location... seems facebook is it. Once actual location and grand opening is official it'll make the main page. everything on facebook is just teasers

ya i knew about their edmonton page but had been looking for a cgy section tobe added :)

SilverWind
01-09-2013, 08:15 AM
found the calgary location
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2526/img2013010900057.jpg

ExtraSlow
01-09-2013, 08:35 AM
where is it?