PDA

View Full Version : Unmployment benefits?

Mostwanted
07-31-2012, 11:06 PM
I have a quick question about the laws in Alberta with being unemployed. Long story short, i have been working as a manager at a retail store for almost 3 years now, and now they told me today that they are closing the store on august 26th, and was mentioned that i would get the unemployment pay. ( I work for sketchy owners they are based in Toronto and never paid us on time or always had an excuse for stupid things, hence why I want to know the laws for Alberta so they don't screw me over )
What is the percentage I will be getting and how are they gonna calculate how much im getting? im only 20 thats why i'm new at this and for example lets say i earned 33 xxx$ last year how much am i getting out of that, should i be aware of anything that they might pull?

thanks in advance

RickDaTuner
07-31-2012, 11:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it's half your pay up to
400/week.
The employers pay a percentage of that through taxes, but the money ultimately comes from the government wether or not the employer pays the dues.

If I were you man, I would skip on the EI and find another job(not sure of situation).
Receiving EI takes a lot of benefits from you later on from your taxes. For example @ 30k/ year you get anywhere from 1.5-3k in returns but filling for EI in that year will bring that return down to 600-1k. Now that a very rough estimate, but I hope you get the idea.

If you are thinking that the employers are going to pay you EI as a last paycheck or as a layoff check, then that's not going to happen, and if they do something along those lines, then they are commiting some type of fraud. It all goes through service Canada.

Best luck man, but it's. It hard to find a 30k + job these days, especially with your previous managerial experience.

Good luck

Mostwanted
07-31-2012, 11:44 PM
yeah that makes sense thanks a lot! but im also going to college this September and looking at my sched i wouldnt be working as much as before, so it really evens out? and would they have to pay me the percentage for the whole year or is it 10 months?

and to add on to that i didnt think 30k per year was all too good considering the beyond ballers we have here:dunno:

PeterGTiR
07-31-2012, 11:50 PM
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/regular.shtml#eligible

For most people, the basic rate for calculating benefits is 55% of the weekly average insurable earnings. Effective January 1, 2012, the maximum yearly insurable earnings is $45,900. This means that you can receive a maximum amount of $485 per week.

There's an employee and an employer contribution to Employment Insurance. The employee contribution should show up on your pay stub and T4.

If I were you man, I would take the EI if you were legitimately laid off(not sure of situation).

Receiving EI does not take any benefits from you later on from your taxes. It is income and will show up on a T-slip which would be subject to withholdings. If your withholdings are more than the taxes as calculated on your tax return, you will receive a refund after filing the tax return.

If your employer is paying you a severance, you should take it, it is not fraud.

RickDaTuner
08-01-2012, 01:32 AM
A severance is much different than being told you are being paid EI.

In some cases where you receive EI, you are required to pay a partial or full amount back of the benefits paid.

There is a great deal we don't know about your situation, and while we are trying to help, its very easy for your query to be miss interpreted.
In your situation its best to visit a Service Canada office and get some solid advice directly from the horses mouth.

Masked Bandit
08-01-2012, 07:23 AM
I would be very surprised if a retail outlet paid any kind of severance money due to a store closing. I suspect it will just be simple, straight forward EI benefits.

OP says the store is closing at the end of August and he's going to school in September. I don't think you can collect EI while being a full time student, can you???

BananaFob
08-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I would be very surprised if a retail outlet paid any kind of severance money due to a store closing. I suspect it will just be simple, straight forward EI benefits.

OP says the store is closing at the end of August and he's going to school in September. I don't think you can collect EI while being a full time student, can you???

Yes, you can. I was working full time during university while I was still taking 5 courses a semester and I was laid of. I still received EI benefits even after declaring that I was at school.

WhippWhapp
08-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Collect ei, go to school and work under the table.

a social dsease
08-01-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm pretty sure full time students can't get EI, only exception is if you are in a trade. However I couldn't find anything about this on the service canada website, so maybe its changed?

EK69
08-01-2012, 11:18 PM
for the OP's question, there is no set percentage or anything like that AFAIK. Some places give you severance pay, but for the retail store you are describing.... I would hope they even gave you your last pay cheque lol

as for the EI discussion, full time students can get EI if you answer their questions "correctly" :devil: . 3 classes or less is not a problem at all, more than 3 requires a phone call from them to you.

Kavy
08-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Remember EI will not just happen.

You will have to apply for EI so you should get started on that. I am sure it can be done online by now.

The employer will owe you 2 weeks severance pay as well. EI will not be able to start till after the severance period and a holding period.

Kavy
08-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by EK69
for the OP's question, there is no set percentage or anything like that AFAIK

Yes there is.

Several people have replied with the correct info of 55% to a maximum of $485. Again that is insurable income as well.

turbotrip
08-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Definitely apply for EI as soon as possible and take full advantage of however long u can stay on it, but technically as a full time student you are not supposed to be on EI.

sexualbanana
08-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
Remember EI will not just happen.

You will have to apply for EI so you should get started on that. I am sure it can be done online by now.

The employer will owe you 2 weeks severance pay as well. EI will not be able to start till after the severance period and a holding period.

And the process from applying to finally receiving your benefits takes about a month.

EK69
08-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Kavy

Yes there is.

Several people have replied with the correct info of 55% to a maximum of $485. Again that is insurable income as well.
i was referring to a set percentage of OP's last years income...as he seems to be under some impression they will give him a big payout once the store closes..

yes you can apply online for EI

Originally posted by turbotrip
Definitely apply for EI as soon as possible and take full advantage of however long u can stay on it, but technically as a full time student you are not supposed to be on EI.
like i said earlier, 3 classes or less is not a problem.
you just have to say you are willing to choose a job over school.

Originally posted by sexualbanana

And the process from applying to finally receiving your benefits takes about a month.
yeah the goal is to have every application processed within 28 days (4 weeks)

keep in mind there is a 2 week waiting period following your last day of work. Since your last day of work is 26th (sunday) the earliest day your benefits will start is sept 9.

Mostwanted
09-02-2012, 06:45 PM
OK im gonna revive this topic again since i have more questions.
To get you guys updated the owners didn't close their retail store on the 26th of august as planned and they extended it to the 3rd of September which is tomorrow.

I received an email 2 or 3 weeks back from my employer that i was to be terminated on the 27th of august ( given the circumstance that they did close on the 26th of august ). I brought up if i was gonna get the 2 weeks pay and they said i wasnt going to get it because they gave me the 2 weeks notice.
Then i did my research for Alberta laws and it is said that if i am still working past my termination date the termination notice is NO longer in effect after the specific date that was stated in my termination notice. Although they told me that they are extending the closing date of the store to september 3rd they didnt give me another email stating my termination date or was given a notice of termination. do i get that 2 weeks of pay still? and what is this pay called again? is it called severance pay. PLEASE any advice would help because these guys although i have worked for them for 2 years are SHADY and would bend the laws if they know they can get away with it

and yes i do still have the email stating i was to be terminated on august 27th so i still have the proof.

bitteeinbit
09-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Dude just call the Ministry of Labour and rat them out. That'll make them hurry to fuck up and cough up the dough (or to the very least you'll find it if they're right or wrong). Never had an issue of the sort but I've found calling government hotlines to be quite helpful. They generally know their shit inside and out and promptly help you out. And EI is a Federal service so as far as I know Provincial laws have nothing to do with it.

Rat Fink
09-03-2012, 08:37 AM