PDA

View Full Version : Heart Monitors

flipstah
08-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Hey all,

I need to reach a certain BPM during cardio sessions, I'm looking to snipe a heart monitor.

I'm looking for a simple one (no GPS) that can measure my heart rate without a chest strap and has a countdown timer and/or stopwatch.

So far, this MIO watch from Costco is the winner:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10347461&search=heart&Mo=15&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=4009020&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&cat=108&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=heart&Ntk=Text_Search&Ntt=heart&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=

vs. this Timex Ironman watch at MEC:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/WatchesClocks/HeartRateMonitors/HeartRateMonitors/PRD~5018-765/timex-ironman-road-trainer-full-size.jsp

Any recommendations for <$100?

Anyone has a used one they'd like to sell for <$40? It has to be able to do those two criteria. Should I even buy used?

Cheers! :)

98type_r
08-01-2012, 11:10 AM
For the price of the MIO, I'd stay away from used. I'm a little surprised you aren't interested in an all in one HRM and GPS considering the amount of cycling you do.
If you have an iPhone, there are a couple of options where you can buy the heart rate strap and monitor that plugs into the bottome of your phone. Like this one, for example
http://www.adidas.com/us/product/mi-coach-heart-rate-monitor-for-ipod-iphone/SB491

flipstah
08-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
For the price of the MIO, I'd stay away from used. I'm a little surprised you aren't interested in an all in one HRM and GPS considering the amount of cycling you do.
If you have an iPhone, there are a couple of options where you can buy the heart rate strap and monitor that plugs into the bottome of your phone. Like this one, for example
http://www.adidas.com/us/product/mi-coach-heart-rate-monitor-for-ipod-iphone/SB491

What is the purpose of the GPS anyways?

Is it meant to track where you went after a run (which I don't really need) or is there a wrist-measured HRM that lets me know where I'm going...

Frankly I don't know how GPS is used, in terms of running and cycling. :dunno:

98type_r
08-01-2012, 11:38 AM
GPS will only tell you where you've been and give you speed/pace/distance data real time. There are come models where you can pre-plan a route to follow but it's not something I've ever done.
So if you want just basic HRM/stopwatch you might want to also look at the Polar FT1, it can be found for pretty cheap on amazon.

flipstah
08-01-2012, 11:43 AM
GPS will only tell you where you've been and give you speed/pace/distance data real time. There are come models where you can pre-plan a route to follow but it's not something I've ever done.
So if you want just basic HRM/stopwatch you might want to also look at the Polar FT1, it can be found for pretty cheap on amazon.

Thanks! It's free shipping on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.ca/Polar-90037558-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B003HT88JQ/ref=sr_1_32?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1343842809&sr=1-32

:thumbsup: I might snipe this tonight unless anyone else has recommendations.

Have to research more because I see a strap in their pictures... Not sure what that's for. :dunno:

msommers
08-01-2012, 11:50 AM
The strap looks to go around your chest and I'd imagine relays the info wirelessly to the wristwatch.

flipstah
08-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by msommers
The strap looks to go around your chest and I'd imagine relays the info wirelessly to the wristwatch.

Awww lame. That's what I was trying to avoid.

Looks like it's the TIMEX for me.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/WatchesClocks/HeartRateMonitors/PRD~5018-765/timex-ironman-road-trainer-full-size.jsp

98type_r
08-01-2012, 01:48 PM
You realize the Timex also uses a chest strap? I don't know if there is a reliable monitor out there that doesn't use a chest strap.

AzNxHyDrA
08-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Awww lame. That's what I was trying to avoid.

Looks like it's the TIMEX for me.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/WatchesClocks/HeartRateMonitors/PRD~5018-765/timex-ironman-road-trainer-full-size.jsp

I know you want to avoid chest straps but most accurate Heart Rate Monitors will utilize chest straps.

I'm using a Polar one and it's pretty good. The chest strap isn't that bad to deal with either.

You rinse it under water before you use it, then after workout you just rinse it again. Once a week you can either hand wash with soap or throw it in the washing machine after you put it inside a Laundry (Lingerie) Mesh Bag.

tobslau
08-02-2012, 09:46 AM
^+1

No chest strap heart rate monitors have a huge error scale, it's not even worth it sometimes because you are relying on info with a large standard deviation.

Alot of my friends use an app to log their distance and speed when they cycle - it's handy as you have to keep your phone on you anyways.

msommers
09-21-2012, 02:37 PM
This may be paranoia speaking here but are there any health related issues with using a chest HRM? I ordered a Garmin 410 ($200 on amazon right now) and it comes with a chest strap that I can also use with my Edge 500 on the bike which seems useful but not essential.

Khyron
09-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by msommers
This may be paranoia speaking here but are there any health related issues with using a chest HRM? I ordered a Garmin 410 ($200 on amazon right now) and it comes with a chest strap that I can also use with my Edge 500 on the bike which seems useful but not essential.

No issues.

You'll need to take my Garmin (I have 310xt) from my cold dead hands I use it so much. Always on the bike or wrist for running, uploads all the HR/pace/speed/power data after every workout. Get a pod for the bike and you have cadence/speed - no need for a bike computer. If you go for a powertap, it does that too.

Only con is they are bigger than normal watches, and more expensive obviously.

benyl
09-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

Only con is they are bigger than normal watches, and more expensive obviously.

Not if you are raj2. haha.

I am thinking of the new 910XT or whatever it is called over getting a dedicated cycle computer.

98type_r
09-27-2012, 11:21 AM
I have the 910XT and i still prefer my Edge 305 over it. Just a better screen layout and it looks better stem mounted than having a watch on the handlebars. I use the 910 for the swim metrics and on the run to replace my old 310xt.

Khyron
09-27-2012, 11:43 AM
I have the 910XT and i still prefer my Edge 305 over it. Just a better screen layout and it looks better stem mounted than having a watch on the handlebars. I use the 910 for the swim metrics and on the run to replace my old 310xt.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nQJ2fthmOJw/Tf4Ei_wAmiI/AAAAAAAAA1c/EGsEU5Oi5-4/s1152/IMG_0610.JPG

I suppose if you've got the extra $$. But with the quick release you can mount it anywhere, including stem. 4 fields is good enough now that they do 0 averaging.

If my 310 breaks I'll get a 910 but right now it's just got some indoor swimming features which are meh, and a bit smaller profile.

98type_r
09-27-2012, 02:47 PM
I have never been a fan of the quick release, heard/read enough stories about people losing them at the bottom of a lake or in the middle of a bike ride. Have you had any issues with yours since you've had it?

Khyron
09-27-2012, 02:54 PM
I have it under my swim cap in open water (get gps tracking that way), the 310xt quick release is WAY more secure than the old 305 one. It's a 90 degree twist and lock, and is not coming off from any amount of bumps. Wrist I could see it getting kicked off, maybe.

shadowz
09-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Quite a few of us are using the Polar FT60 and FT80

urban.one
09-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Supposedly the quick release on the 910xt is junk. Ive heard and read tons of stories of people losing them in the pool or lake. Its suprising because the older models seemed to work well with the QR.