PDA

View Full Version : 5-Month Challenge, Little to Big

Pages : [1] 2

Little Dragon
08-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Hello,

Following Flipstah's thread, I decided to take on a 5 month challenge as well.
Don't want to jack his thread so I will use this thread to gain advice and to track my progress.

I'm currently 5'6 150lbs, getting on the chubby side with little muscle to show for it. Being small, weak and a little chubby sucks. :(
I want to be stronger. I can't do anything about my height, but I can do something about my strength and body fat.

Current Stats:
Weight - 150lbs
Squat - 145lbs
Deadlift - 115lbs (just started again)
Bench - 135lbs
Power Clean - 115lbs

I am not sure what a realistic weight for me within 5 months is, but I'd like to gain as much strength as possible while reducing the amount of fat I take on.

For my lifts, I do not know what kind of weights I could achieve within 5 months. What would be some realistic goals for me to set?

--------------------------------------------
The Workout:

I plan to use Rippetoe's Starting Strength. It consists of alternating between these two routines for every workout day.

Day A:
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 3x5
Dips 2x8

Day B:
Squat 3x5
Standing Overhead Press 3x5
Power Clean 3x5
Chin Ups 2x8

Workout days are Mon/Wed/Fri.

Cardio:
The other days will consist of cardio (running, swimming, jump rope, rowing), various core excercises and stretching with Sunday being rest day.

The Diet:

I need major help on diet. I need some ideas for good ingredients and recipes. I'd like to stay away from supplements for now until I get my diet on track.

Any ideas for meals?
How much protien/carbs/fat should I be taking in?

I was told to seperate my meals for a day like below, is this correct?

Breakfast:
???

Snack 1:
???

Lunch:
???

Snack 2:
???

Supper:
???

I have tried something like this before and failed after the first 2 weeks. Hopefully this time around I can keep at it, I will need help though.

So for now, I need help setting some realistic goals and getting my diet together.
Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

TL

flipstah
08-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the dark side! :devil:

I'm definitely subscribing! :thumbsup:

403ep3
08-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Good luck! I can't help much because I just started my program but best of luck! Take a look at Flipstahs thread, it has a lot of good info.

AzNxHyDrA
08-01-2012, 01:44 PM
When I was planning my macros I used http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&p=436716771#post436716771

Bodybuilding.com has a ton of info, if you're bored just browse there and I'm sure you'll be able to find something of use.

Good luck!

beecue
08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
:thumbsup: Good stuff. I started 5x5 July 9th as well. I will attempt to bulk in a few weeks. Will post a thread in 5 months as well if I stick with. The workouts I will definitely stick to since I am paying for the gym now instead of going to the school gym but diet will be much harder.

Little Dragon
08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! :D

I'll be starting the workout/food log tomorrow.
Getting my diet together still, hoping to get a nice shopping list for the weekend.

Bulking while trying to stay lean is tough, but it will be worth it.

max_boost
08-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Good luck man. I remember you were around 130lbs when you started awhile back? Good stuff. I found it quite easy to gain the initial strength but to jump into the intermediate and beyond is going to require a lot of dedication and hard work. Keep at it!

sputnik
08-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Little Dragon
I'm currently 5'6 150lbs, getting on the chubby side with little muscle to show for it. Being small, weak and a little chubby sucks. :(
I want to be stronger. I can't do anything about my height, but I can do something about my strength and body fat.

Hide your scale. At 5'6 and 150lbs you are fine so you don't need to worry about your weight.

Just focus on lifting heavy and building muscle. Let your shirts, your belt and your jeans tell you if you are seeing progress.

Don't bother using cardio to get leaner. Just keep lifting and keep your caloric intake at a maintenance level.

Little Dragon
08-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Had a decent workout today.

Workout:
Squats - 3x5 -145lbs
Overhead Press - 3x5 - 65lbs
Power Clean - 3x5 - 95lbs
Chin ups - 1x8, 1x5

Have to improve on a lot.
-Power Clean, need to work on my form. Going to stay light until I get it perfect. Watching tons of youtube videos at the moment.
-Chin Ups, died on my second set. I know I can do better though.

------------------------------------------------------------
Diet was okay today, dinner wasn't good though.

Diet:
Breakfast:
-Strawberry banana milkshake with milk, little yogurt for sweetness
-Salmon Sandwich with whole grain bread

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/2127d1f4.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/a1e0028c.jpg

Lunch:
-Chicken Salad with tomatoes
-Handful of grapes
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/647ad46c.jpg

Dinner:
Took the girlfriend out for Red Lobster's 4 course meal. $13/person so we couldn't resist.
-Clam Chowder soup
-Ceaser Salad
-Fire Grilled Tilapia with rice and broccoli
-triple chocolate brown with ice cream (took about two bites and didn't finish it)
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/dfc4fb73.jpg

Gradually changing my diet lifestyle. Eating out won't be a common occurrence, just a night out with the lady.
Got to increase my intake of food as well, I'm upping the protein and lowering carbs slightly.

Little Dragon
08-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Shaky start to this challenge.
Got really sick over the weekend. Been in bed ever since and just drinking soup over the past few days. Just now starting to recover. Still coughing and sniffling like crazy though, hopefully I will be able to hit the gym this week and eat some real food soon.

flipstah
08-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Frick, your lunches look so good!

I'm going to steal some recipes if you don't mind. :drool:

Stay strong and get back at 'er!

:thumbsup:

Little Dragon
08-08-2012, 02:55 PM
^ Thanks man. Feel free to use them, we can swap food ideas as I get bored of eating the same things.

Finally getting better. Still coughing a bit but it looks like the worse has passed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Workout:

Squat - 3x5 - 150lbs (+5lbs)
Bench - 3x5 - 140lbs (+5lbs)
Deadlift - 3x5 - 115lbs
Dips - 1x8,1x8

Not sure why, but I am surprised to increase in squat and bench after being sick. Squatting was actually really easy, so I think that number will continue to grow. Bench was getting hard near the last few reps.

My deadlift is still low as I am still getting my form perfect.
Question for deadlifting, should I be letting the weight touch the floor after every rep, or is going as low as 3-4 inches from the ground okay?

Diet:

Breakfast:
-Fruit Shake (pineapple, milk, yogurt)
-Egg Sandwich (forgot to take picture)
-Fruits (banana, pineapple, blueberries, grapes, apples)
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/59143290.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/9a13bcb4.jpg

Lunch:
-Chicken sandwich with tomatoes, red bell peppers and lettuce
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/cd774816.jpg

Dinner:
-Steak medium rare
-Salad with bell peppers
-potatoe salad from Costco

No pictures for Dinner as I forgot =/

nykz
08-08-2012, 05:07 PM
You should let the weight touch the floor after every rep and re-set before you begin the next rep. This way you don't sacrifice form and your not bouncing the weight on the platform/ground. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that was how I was taught and read online:nut:

Little Dragon
08-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Nykz, thanks for the clarification. I'll work on that Monday!

---------------------------------------------------------

Workout:
Squat - 3x5 - 145lbs
Overhead Press - 70lbs (+5lbs)
Power Clean - 3x5 - 65lbs (-10lbs)
Chin ups - 1x8, 1x7

Finally got my power clean form correct. Had to drop my weights but I know the feel of it now. Love them, probably my favourite excercise.

I was watching another guy today squatting ass to grass, I still got to work on getting lower. Will probably drop the weights a little next workout to get the form good.

Diet:

Breakfast:
-Fruit Shake (Blueberries, grapes, milk). Looks like crap (hence the non-clear cup) but taste so good after a workout
-Egg with cheese wrap
-Banana

Snack:
-Grapes
-Fruit/Nut bar (I really should buy some trail mix instead)

To be updated later...

403ep3
08-10-2012, 10:43 AM
How long of breaks do you take in between some of your sets? When I first started the 5x5 my breaks were pretty short 1-1:30 but now they are 2-3 minutes depending on the lift.

Btw, have you set your goals yet for month 5? or are you setting goals for each month?

Little Dragon
08-10-2012, 11:37 AM
My breaks are 1:00-1:30 as well right now. Like you mentioned, I think that will be going up as the weights get larger.

Haven't set specific goals yet, still not sure what would be realistic. I heard there was a rule to try and add 5lbs every week to every lift but I think only squats/deadlifts will keep up with that rule.

By 5 months though, I would be VERY happy with:
Squat, +200lbs
Deadlift, +200lbs
Bench, Bodyweight or more (so +160lbs)
Power Clean, (+160lbs)

If I reach some of these early (fingers crossed), then I will set the goal again. But if I were to reach those weights by the end of 5 months, I would be pleased.

Little Dragon
08-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Workout:
Squat - 3x5 - 145lbs
Bench - 3x5 - 145lbs (+5lbs)
Deadlift - 3x5 - 115lbs

Keeping the weight for squats the same as I go ass to grass instead of parallel. Seems like I need to work on flexibility more.

Deadlift form is better, may up the weight on Friday's workout.

=====================================
Diet:

Breakfast:
3 French Toast with whole wheat brown bread and about 4 eggs total with home-made 100% blueberry only sauce.
Fruit Smoothie (strawberry)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/97b33895.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/e68ea458.jpg

Snack:
Fruits

Lunch:
Salmon, brown rice and salad.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/95f89295.jpg

Dinner:
Steak, brown rice with steamed veggies (sorry no pics)

Little Dragon
08-16-2012, 09:15 AM
So missed my workout yesterday.
On my way to pick up the girlfriend this dog cuts my car off dashing across the road from house to house. I barely stopped in time.

I watched him for a little bit in my rear view and sped off to pick up the gf (a block away). It was obvious this dog was lost. We pulled a U-turn and cautiously drove after him. We had to pull a few U-turns as he kept changing directions going in and out of backyards.

Once it seemed that he was tired of running, my gf got out and called him to her. I asked some passerbys if they knew who's dog it was but no one knew. We found his dog tags and this little guys name was Brawn, with his owner's number on the back.

Turns out his owner was picking up his poop when Brawn ran off after a rabbit. We comforted him until his owner came to pick him up.

We're just thankful he didn't get hit by any cars as he was near a very busy road. Such a cute little guy.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/347b81fd.jpg

403ep3
08-16-2012, 10:29 AM
and a shot of the bottom half of the lady :rofl:

Spoons
08-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Hey Little Dragon, not sure if you have a personal trainer or not but I do. I could pass on my work out schedules to you, it is all completely based upon getting bigger and stronger like you.

I started at ~150-145. I'm now 160 and it's been roughly 3 months.

I've got a good shake for you to try if you want. I take it every morning and then one after work outs. So 2 on training days, 1 on rest days.

-1 frozen banana
-2 scoops of protein powder (chocolate)
-1 scoop of cyto greens
-2 table spoons of peanut butter
-1 cup of almond milk (or water doesn't really matter)

I don't make my shakes with actual milk. There is a ton of lactose in the protein powder, and everyone is a little lactose intolerant to a certain extent. Lot of times if you make it with milk, you'll just shit it right out right away.

I know you said you want to stay away from supplements till your diet is on track, but if you have a high metabolism like me (which seems so), supplements should be apart of your diet. You don't absolutely need them, but it makes things easier. Otherwise you're going to have to eat a ton, and you will feel bloated a lot (been there done that).

Now diet, its pretty easy.

Breakfast: The shake up top. It's better than the yogurt stuff you are having. Lots of fat and bad calories. Key here is good calories.

Snack: Something with protein. Couple handfuls of plain unsalted peanutes.

Lunch: Protein with a side green.

Snack: Again something with protein.

Supper: Protein with a side green.

Snack: Again.

Try to stay away from the carbs. Lots of empty calories there. Of course you'll still need them, but try to limit them.

As for your rest times, 5 x 5 should always be short breaks. You're training yourself to build the muscle. Long breaks are more for 531 training and training your nervous system for strength, while still building muscle.

When I do something, I like to do it right and learn everything I can about it. Let me know if you want my schedule, but I tell you I've never been in better shape in my life. It gets really addicting!

403ep3
08-16-2012, 12:37 PM
When I make up my shakes I tend to use 0% fat organic yogurt so it can't be that bad. Don't know what Little Dragon is using though.

It's so tough to eat healthy. I'm trying my best but its also expensive too!

Long doesn't neccesarily mean 5mins plus. The recommended rest time is between 90 seconds and 3 minutes based on how hard the lift was.

Spoons
08-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
Long doesn't neccesarily mean 5mins plus. The recommended rest time is between 90 seconds and 3 minutes based on how hard the lift was.

Depends. On my 531's, on the last set I weight however long I need. You want to go back into the lift with everything you have since it will be your max reps.

My 531's go as so.

Warm up - 5 reps (30 sec rest - usually however long it takes to up the weight)
Warm up - 5 reps (2 min rest - add more weight)
Set 1 - 5 reps (2 min rest - add more weight)
Set 2 - 5 reps (3+ min rest - add more weight)
Set 3 - Till failure

I follow a set method for adding weight, but I won't go into it. As well reps change from week to week.

Little Dragon you should definitely stick to 5 x 5's with 60 sec rests. You need to build up the base to work off of later.

When I started my bench was at 75 lbs. Now I'm at 110 lbs.

403ep3
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Ahh icic, when the weights get much heavier you will find that you'll need a ton more rest in between sets. I went from up to 30secs during the beginning of 5x5 to now maybe 1-1:30 around session 15-20.

What are your lifting weights for all your workouts?

Khyron
08-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Aha I skimmed and thought the pic of the person beside the dog was you. I'm like "ok, that's gonna take some work". :)

Spoons
08-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
Ahh icic, when the weights get much heavier you will find that you'll need a ton more rest in between sets. I went from up to 30secs during the beginning of 5x5 to now maybe 1-1:30 around session 15-20.

What are your lifting weights for all your workouts?

I don't really want to clutter up Little Dragons thread, as 5-3-1s will come later in his training. For now he should stick to 5 x 5s.

With that being said though 1-1:30 will be fine and should be the max amount of rest during 5 x 5s. With 5 x 5s your trying to build a base... The long rests are more for your nervous system and are more evident in 531s.

lint
08-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

I don't really want to clutter up Little Dragons thread, as 5-3-1s will come later in his training. For now he should stick to 5 x 5s.

With that being said though 1-1:30 will be fine and should be the max amount of rest during 5 x 5s. With 5 x 5s your trying to build a base... The long rests are more for your nervous system and are more evident in 531s.

wait, I'm confused. you're doing 5/3/1 and your bench is 110lbs, but you're telling the OP to stick with 5x5 to build a base?

403ep3
08-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah that's why I am trying to get more information lol. Maybe Spoons should be working on his base using 5x5.

Spoons
08-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by lint

wait, I'm confused. you're doing 5/3/1 and your bench is 110lbs, but you're telling the OP to stick with 5x5 to build a base?

I wasn't aware that you knew what I'm training for and towards... But you can continue to make assumptions.

Little Dragon is looking to get big. I am not. My training is focusing more on nervous system/strength rather than bulk.

lint
08-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
I wasn't aware that you knew what I'm training for and towards... But you can continue to make assumptions.

Little Dragon is looking to get big. I am not. My training is focusing more on nervous system/strength rather than bulk.

If you think a 5x5 program is about bulking, you're wrong.
If you think doing 5/3/1 is better for building strength than milking a linear progression program until you stall, you're wasting time.
If you think a 110lb bench press is a good base of strength for switching to 5/3/1, you're a teenage girl?

Spoons
08-16-2012, 04:26 PM

If you think doing 5/3/1 is better for building strength than milking a linear progression program until you stall, you're wasting time.
If you think a 110lb bench press is a good base of strength for switching to 5/3/1, you're a teenage girl?

Enough. I gave Little Dragon advice based on generalities, I was going into 5/3/1 for ep. Hence why I stopped because I didn't want to clutter his thread.

If you wish to discuss this further and why I'm doing what I'm doing, feel free to PM.

scboss
08-16-2012, 05:27 PM

This
If your benching 110 I really hope you are touching your chest. I have had guys that only did pushups and literally started at 5 pushups, built up to 25 pushups and can bench 125x5 after never touching a bench once.

both the 5x5 program and 5/3/1 programs are tools to get big and strong. If you want to bulk or cut its all in your diet/cardio.

Little Dragon
08-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Good discussion!
Just curious, when would one go on to something like the 5/3/1 programs? Would it be after I plateau for a long time?

Also, I need MAJOR help with my flexibility. My hamstrings need a lot of work and my lower back seems to be tight a lot (from sitting a lot I pressume). I try and sit with proper posture but tend to slouch after a while.

Any suggestions for stretching excercises?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, forgot to post my workout yesterday.

Workout:

Squat - 3x5 - 150lbs (+5lbs)
Bench - 3x5 - 150lbs (+5lbs)
Deadlift - 3x5 - 115lbs
Dips - 2x8

Increasing squats and bench slowly but surely, squats will surpass bench once my bench stalls. I was a noob when I first started lifting and only focused on upper body, so thats the reason why my bench is keeping up with squats.

Deadlifts are a work in progress, again. Not sure why I can't get the form perfect 100% of the time, I think once I get some more flexibility in my hams it will be easier.

Diet:
Went out with the family for dinner and afterwards to globalfest.
So diet for this day should have been much much better.

Breakfast:
Egg Salad sandwich
Fruit Shake

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/1cbcf852.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/e1c22a72.jpg

Snack:
Mangoes and coconut (parents bought a ton of coconuts)

Lunch:
Chicken, pasta with steamed veggies
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/b206ef7e.jpg

Dinner:
Charboiled pork, shrimp paste, pork balls, steamed egg, shredded pork, rice with fish sauce.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/c7f6297a.jpg

KRyn
08-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Is that dinner home made? If so can I come over for dinner some time?

lint
08-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Good discussion!
Just curious, when would one go on to something like the 5/3/1 programs? Would it be after I plateau for a long time?

This is covered in the book

EDIT: Stalling http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Stalling.2C_Resetting_and_Progressing
After starting strength http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/After_Starting_Strength

Darkane
08-21-2012, 02:07 PM

Deadlift - 3x5 - 115lbs

Deadlifts are a work in progress, again. Not sure why I can't get the form perfect 100% of the time, I think once I get some more flexibility in my hams it will be easier.

So here's what initially pops out and punches me in the face.

At 115lbs deadlift you're using the 35lb plates, or worse yet 25 lb plates and a 10 on each side.

Please Immediately MOVE UP to 135lbs - 1 45 plate on each side.

this will do 2 things:

1) Raise the bar from the floor an additional inch or better to able you to lift the additional weight.

2) Because the bar is now higher you will be able to get into position much easier.

I cringe so bad when I see people doing deadlifts under 135lbs. Not because they're weak, but because of the lower bar and more potential for injury.

EDIT: If you literally can't do 3x5 of 135, do 5x3 Instead. It will pay off even better.

scboss
08-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

At 115lbs deadlift you're using the 35lb plates, or worse yet 25 lb plates and a 10 on each side.

this will do 2 things:

1) Raise the bar from the floor an additional inch or better to able you to lift the additional weight.

2) Because the bar is now higher you will be able to get into position much easier.

I cringe so bad when I see people doing deadlifts under 135lbs. Not because they're weak, but because of the lower bar and more potential for injury.

EDIT: If you literally can't do 3x5 of 135, do 5x3 Instead. It will pay off even better.

This unless you have bumper plates in smaller incriments. Nothing makes me cringe more then someone deadlifting wrong. When done properly it's one of the most effective exercises, but done wrong definitely one of the most dangerous.
You should get someone to record you so you can post it on here.

dj_patm
08-21-2012, 02:40 PM
On the deadlift note, how big of a deal is it to not use the opposite grip or whatever it's called? I hate doing it and I noticed a lot of people don't do it that way either?

mgwatson
08-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Most people are actually afraid to do deadlifts correctly because everyone tells them to not lift with your back, and instead with your legs... This is flatout wrong. Deadlifts, when done correctly should leave your back completely exhausted.

I'm not sure if this helps, but correct deadlift technique almost 100% relies on how you hinge at your hips. Your starting position SHOULD NOT be as if you're sitting in a chair! The correct starting position for a deadlift is a slight bend in your knees (enough to get your hands down to the bar) and your back COMPLETELY (this is the most important aspect of the lift) flat and parallel to the floor. If you look in the mirror and your upper back is arched, you are asking for a herniated disk in your spine. From the starting position, lift the weight up while keeping it close to your body (you should almost be scraping your shins with the bar).

Don't be afraid to go heavy with this excersize. I guarantee you can lift a lot more than 115lbs, guaranteeeeee.

I suggest next time you do your deadlifts, throw at least 160lbs on the bar and rep that our as many times as you can. Remember, deadlifts are not supposed to feel easy, they are meant to build strength in your hips and back which requires heavy weight.

Hope this helps!!

dj_patm
08-21-2012, 03:12 PM
So my back should be parallel with the floor but not arched?

I dunno if it's just me but I don't think I can do that?

I thought this was the starting position for a deadlift?

http://gustrength.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/deadlift-benefits1.png?w=234&h=300

and OP, my stats 3 months in are all at around the level in your first post so I started weaker but my deadlifts where never below 140 lbs 5x4 and that was with being scared about my form and never doing them in my life before.

I'm currently maxing out at 209 lbs on my 4th (last) set of 5. Even then it's only my grip that gives out, I think my back can handle more... and like I said, I'm only just now at around the strength levels you started at.

mgwatson
08-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm
So my back should be parallel with the floor but not arched?

I dunno if it's just me but I don't think I can do that?

Your back should be parallel to the ground and you will reach the bar by sticking your ass out as far as you can and slightly bending your knees to drop your elevation.

edit: after looking at that picture, that is the perfect starting position. Parallel is over exagerating. If you can make your starting position look like that picture AND hold your back tight (i.e., don't let it round) you will be doing proper deadlifts.

mgwatson
08-21-2012, 05:15 PM

I'm currently maxing out at 209 lbs on my 4th (last) set of 5. Even then it's only my grip that gives out, I think my back can handle more...

I'm a firm believer that deadlifts are a back excersize, not a grip strength excersize. If your grip is preventing you from lifting properly then go invest $10 on a set of straps.

Darkane
08-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Nothing wrong with using a Double overhand grip (also called hook grip).

I use a hook grip it feels more even to me.

When I'm doing heavy rack pulls 405+ I use a mixed strongman grip.

I try to avoid using straps but as mentioned use them for the lift, and work on your grip other ways instead of DURING the deadlift.

scboss
08-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by mgwatson

I'm a firm believer that deadlifts are a back excersize, not a grip strength excersize. If your grip is preventing you from lifting properly then go invest $10 on a set of straps.

See the problem with using straps is you become reliant on them instead of just taking care of the problem. By using straps all the time when you deadlift you take away one of the most important things which is grip.

IMO grip is one of the most undertrained things in the gym, and unless your at an elite level or doing a heavy ass weight for high reps I wouldn't bother. Deadlifts IMO are one of the best full body exercises around.

If you find your grip is crapping the bed try these
Kroc/db rows for reps
Farmers walks
Pullups with a towel
Suitcase carries

If you don't have grip it will be the most obvious thing in any real life situation. Training grip should be a staple in any routine

mgwatson
08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
If you want grip, train for grip. If you want a thick back, train deads and don't let grip take away from your technique.

scboss
08-21-2012, 10:12 PM
If you want grip, train for grip. If you want a thick back, train deads and don't let grip take away from your technique.

Haha so you dont consider grip as part of the technique? Dont get me wrong im not 100% against it but what are we talking here for weight? 225 or 405? Because if your grip is failing on such a lightweight wouldnt it make more sense to balance everything out?

My grip started failing at 245x3 now im a 295x3 and 305x1 in less then 3 months. I promised myself no straps till im at least 2.5x my bodyweight which is 512.5 :facepalm:

mgwatson
08-21-2012, 10:29 PM
That's awesome that your grip is improving. It's a great personal goal to set, but one that will not make an ounce of difference on how your body looks in a mirror which im sure is all OP is concerned about.

Sorry, I'll stop bringing this up now, this is a great thread, so carry on!!

know1edge
08-22-2012, 12:28 AM

Your back should be parallel to the ground and you will reach the bar by sticking your ass out as far as you can and slightly bending your knees to drop your elevation.

edit: after looking at that picture, that is the perfect starting position. Parallel is over exagerating. If you can make your starting position look like that picture AND hold your back tight (i.e., don't let it round) you will be doing proper deadlifts.

starting position aside, someone said that if the bar is scraping your legs all the way up, you're doing it correctly. yea?

scboss
08-22-2012, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by know1edge

starting position aside, someone said that if the bar is scraping your legs all the way up, you're doing it correctly. yea?

Yeah you want it as close to your body as possible the whole lift. The biggest thing is to try to have tight lats and a proud chest the whole time. Never ever let your chest go parallel with the floor or there is a good chance you lifted the entire weight with your lower back

Little Dragon
08-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Is that dinner home made? If so can I come over for dinner some time?

Haha, no not home made. Although my mom can make it, we just went out to eat that evening though.

This is covered in the book

EDIT: Stalling http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Stalling.2C_Resetting_and_Progressing
After starting strength http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/After_Starting_Strength

Thanks for the links! I'll read through them.

Originally posted by Darkane

I am actually using bumper plates (I think that is what they are called). It just doesn't feel right when I am deadlifting, but my workout partners say my form is fine.
I'm one of those people that has to see it for themselves though, so I'll get them to record a video next time (like Warcaster suggested).

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the tips Mike. I'll keep them in mind for Friday's workout. :thumbsup:

I'm currently maxing out at 209 lbs on my 4th (last) set of 5. Even then it's only my grip that gives out, I think my back can handle more... and like I said, I'm only just now at around the strength levels you started at.

Wow, 209lbs is really good. I would be so happy if I could do that. I am excited for fridays workout now, hopefully deadlifts will be good.

------------------------------

I took videos of my power cleans today that I will post up later.
Looks like my starting position (similar to deadlift) is good. So I am thinking my deadlift form might be okay as well, I'll have a video on Friday for that though.

403ep3
08-22-2012, 01:31 PM
I have a feeling that you would be holding yourself back with just doing the weight that you've been lifting lately. Don't forget to challenge yourself. I'm not that heavier than you and I don't find 200lbs DL hard. Push yourself!

scboss
08-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Post the vid when you have the chance. If your unsure about your form don't increase the weight till your 100%
Form>weight always
I've seen so many people get injured doing dl incorrectly because they had to much ego and not enough sense to work on technique more

Little Dragon
08-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Definitely want to get my form perfect before I do any serious weight for deadlift. I think it might be alright though now that I've seen myself power clean.

Workout:

Squats - 3x5 - 150lbs
Overhead Press - 3x5 - 70lbs (+5lbs)
Power Clean - 3x5 - 95lbs
Chin ups - 2x8

So here's the video of the power cleans.
After watching it, I feel like my feet position isn't the best and that I really need to explode out of the lift.
Some of the reps it looks like my toes aren't even leaving the floor.

Any tips on how to improve?
I think I need to drive my hips forward faster and harder to explode more. Also, should my feet be getting a lot of air or are little hops okay?

(excuse the poor quality from my crappy phone)
NXFwHFnbytA

------------------------------------------------------
Diet:

Breakfast:
Egg Omelette with diced turkey/ham, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, green onion, cheese
Mango fruit shake
Banana
2 whole wheat toasted bread

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/8d5ed099.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/840253af.jpg

Lunch:
Ground beef with brown rice, diced bell peppers, tomatoes, onions and a sprinkle of cheese on top.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/8d821aa4.jpg

Dinner:

Coming soon...

lint
08-22-2012, 08:50 PM
wow, you're self taught? you got fast elbows! go find yourself an oly coach!

scboss
08-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Yeah looks good, only thing I would suggest is making sure your hips go all the way thru before the catch. Will generate way more force.

Very fast elbows, looking at this I would assume your dl form is fine

Little Dragon
08-23-2012, 10:54 AM

Somewhat self taught. I got some help from some friends who were on the football team back in high school. I have since had to re-learn it though since that was a few years ago.

Definitely need to push my hips all the way through, I'll keep working on it.
How is the positioning of my feet? Should toes be pointed straight ahead or is it alright if I point them slightly outwards?

mgwatson
08-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Looks good man. At least you know you need to get your hips firing a little harder. Thats about the only problem I can see with your form. Regarding whether to jump or not, that comes down to a personal thing, when I olympic lifted, I wasn't much of a jumper, but my friend who could clean 150+kgs would be 6+ inches in the air, so its totally whatever you're comfortable with.

KRyn
08-23-2012, 11:41 AM
I am no Oly lifter but some things you may want to examine are...
- foot position, they appear to be too wide and to pointed a little to far out (but this all depends)
- starting position, get your ass lower and don't raise your hips before you start your pull
- it doesn't look like you are exploding/shrugging very hard, possibly because you don't have to, you should be able to pull 95lbs so high that you don't have to dip down to catch it

Overall your form is pretty decent though, keep it up.

know1edge
08-23-2012, 11:50 AM
does your girlfriend make your meals? some of them look so good. i never have time for stuff like that

B.Spilner
08-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Subscribed. Hot damn does your food look good!

Little Dragon
08-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
I am no Oly lifter but some things you may want to examine are...
- foot position, they appear to be too wide and to pointed a little to far out (but this all depends)
- starting position, get your ass lower and don't raise your hips before you start your pull
- it doesn't look like you are exploding/shrugging very hard, possibly because you don't have to, you should be able to pull 95lbs so high that you don't have to dip down to catch it

Overall your form is pretty decent though, keep it up.

Good points, all things I noticed as well. I'll focus on them more the next time I am able to do cleans.
And I'm not sure why, maybe I was tired that day, but 95lbs was pretty exhausting to do. I just couldn't make the weight move faster than what you see in the video.
Probably due to the fact that I need to use my hips more.

does your girlfriend make your meals? some of them look so good. i never have time for stuff like that

Originally posted by sikid111
Subscribed. Hot damn does your food look good!

Haha no, my mom makes me the food.
She runs a catering business so I usually get the leftover foods she cooks for customers. Definitely a huge perk! :clap:

flipstah
08-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Haha no, my mom makes me the food.
She runs a catering business so I usually get the leftover foods she cooks for customers. Definitely a huge perk! :clap:

Lucky you lol. Food looks mighty delish! :D

I'm still trying to work on fundamentals as well and I'll use your videos + tips from these peeps to incorporate as reference/motivation.

:thumbsup:

Little Dragon
08-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Sorry guys, forgot to post Friday's workout/diet. Been a chaotic weekend.

As for today's workout (Monday) it had to be put on hold.
Over the weekend I sprained my wrist and got a shin splint in my left shin from too much outdoor activity at once without proper footwear.

For now, I will have to rest. Which sucks because I was looking forward to power cleans.
I did go into the gym and do stretching and core excercises though.

Friday's Workout
Workout:
Squats - 135lbs - 3x5
Bench - 150lbs - 3x5
Deadlift - 135lbs - 3x5

So I followed your advices on increasing the weights for deadlifting. I increased to 135lbs and to my surprise pumped out the reps with ease!
Having never before seen a video of my deadlifting I always thought my form was bad since I felt like my back was rounding. After watching the video though, I realized I was being overly cautious. I should have increased the weights a long time ago!

hftMf2QdgO8

On to the next challenge...ass to grass squats!
I am having trouble getting my ass deep down. Any tips on how to get this right? I think I have to stretch my ham strings more to help.

Kind of depressing seeing myself squat wrong to be honest.
I always thought I had it 100% correct, then realized I was barely making it to parallel. Definitely helps to see a video of yourself.

[Squat Video will be posted in evening].

Diet:
Breakfast:
Tuna sanwich with banana+peanut butter grilled sandwich.
Coconut, blueberry shake with milk

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/7a30c871.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/3f4349c0.jpg

Lunch:
Went out with co-workers for farewell lunch as another co-worker and myself going back to school.
We had a ton of wings at a local pub, I felt like crap after. Won't be eating wings for a long while I hope.

Dinner:
Had some beef stew with carrots, beans, chunks of beef and whole wheat toast
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/045a324d.jpg
(not sure why picture is screwed up)

Not the best diet today. Should have ate much more for dinner than that bowl but just couldn't force feed myself any more.

Little Dragon
08-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Deadlift video is up.
Squat video isn't uploading for some reason, might have to re-take it. Really need help on how to go ass to grass on it though.

bigbadboss101
08-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Home made beef stew is awesome. Lot of veggies, and sometimes I put in ox tail.

Little Dragon
09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
^ Sounds delicious! I love beef stew, huge chunks of meat and steamed vegetables. Dipping garlic bread into the soup to compliment it all. :drool:

Sorry for the little gap of no updates to the thread. My computer died on me and things have been a little hectic. So I haven't made time to update this but rest assured, I have been working/eating as always. I'll try and be more diligent from now on.

------------------------------------------------------
Workout:
Squat - 3x5 - 135lb
Bench - 3x5 - 155lbs
Deadlift - 3x5- 140lbs
Dips - 2x8 - BW + 10lbs

Slowly increasing my deadlift in 5lb increments and also added a 10lb weight to my dips.

I do need help on going lower with my squat form, video below.
I think stretching more will let me get lower?

--------------------------------------------------------
Diet:

Breakfast:
PB&J sandwich with whole grain bread, banana and ham+roast beef. Just eating leftovers.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/84d2b39c.jpg

Lunch:
Not sure exactly what this is called in english lol. I think it is called a Vietnamese pancake. Home made, has bean sprouts, shrimp, pork, onions, mushrooms and beans. Had two of these! :drool:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/2bddec1e.jpg

Dinner:
Atlantic salmon with sour soup (don't know english name lol) filled with bean sprouts, celery, tomatoes, pineapple.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/19e04398.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/69a3e706.jpg

Little Dragon
09-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Video of squat, deadlift and dips. Just checking form, but thought I'd throw them all up for you guys to critique.

I need help on going lower on squats.
Also, my feet positioning for deadlifts always seems to be pointed outwards too much, but that is just the most comfortable position for me when deadlifting. Are there any consequences to this?

GzCOUj9YTKs

Also, thoughts on the Vibram Five Finger shoes?
Just ordered a pair since they were "on sale" (:D)at $50 from Vibram. Heard a lot of great things about them so deciding to try them out.

lint
09-05-2012, 11:01 AM
your squats start out high and get higher. have you tried goblet squats to get a feel for depth?

Notice how your toes move around in those shoes? The soles are too squishy and aren't giving you a solid platform. Get something like a chuck with a solid rubber sole, or better yet a pair of squat shoes. I prefer a shoe with a heel for squatting, but vibrams would be fine for deads.

toes a bit out, should be fine. different body types

scboss
09-05-2012, 12:06 PM
If you want to get deeper a lot of it comes from mobility training. I could t even squat as low as you 2 months ago because my flexibility was pure shit.

If your going to be training for a long time just get oly/squat shoes. When wearing them it's like your feet are glued to the ground

Little Dragon
09-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Any recommendations for lifting shoes? Or would vibrams be fine for squatting as well? I'll have to test them out when they come in.

Anyways, here's an update for yesterdays workout. I sprained my ankle the day before so power cleans were a no go. Did rows instead.

---------------------------------------------
Workout:
Squat - 3x5 - 135lbs
Standing Press - 3x5 - 80lbs
Bent over Rows - 3x5 - 90lbs
Chin up - 2x8

Here is a video of my squat. I just can't seem to go any lower. Steve, what kind of exercises are you doing for mobility training? I think that will help a lot.

4MVDVQ8WQQo

----------------------------------------------
Diet:
Breakfast - Omelette with diced peppers, shrooms, green onions, onions, ham
Lunch - Lasagna filled with ground beef, tomatoe sauce, cheese with salad
Dinner - Roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy with corn and steamed vegetables.

Sorry, no pictures today unfortunately.

lint
09-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I just can't seem to go any lower. Steve, what kind of exercises are you doing for mobility training? I think that will help a lot.

4MVDVQ8WQQo

4ym18x-Nl6Q
in case imbed doesn't work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ym18x-Nl6Q

Little Dragon
09-07-2012, 12:48 PM
^ Wow. I'm only 10 mins in and that video is a gem.
Thanks a lot!

scboss
09-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Here is a video of my squat. I just can't seem to go any lower. Steve, what kind of exercises are you doing for mobility training? I think that will help a lot.

The biggest things that helped me was stretching twice a day and tempo squats. I found when I lowered the weight and slowed down the movement I gradually got lower and lower.

Try a 3-1-3 tempo with half the weight you usually lift and see how it goes.

Little Dragon
09-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Tried the techniques in the video and tempo squats.
Helped a great deal, no video though unfortunately.
I will keep working on flexibility.

I have a problem though, my lower back seems to round as I reach the bottom of the squat. How can I rectify this?

Also, when deadlifting we are supposed to keep the bar as close to our bodies as possible correct?
I have no problem with this except that I will start scraping my shins and have even bled a little on the bar (I cleaned it up good after don't worry).

Does this happen to you other deadlifters as well?

-----------------------------------------------------
Workout:
Squats - 3x5 - 135lbs
Bench - 3x5 - 155lbs
Deadlift - 3x5 - 145lbs (+5lbs)
Dips - 2x8 - 15lbs (+5lbs)

-----------------------------------------------------
Diet:
Breakfast: Brown rice, chicken, rice with steamed vegetables

Lunch:
Extreme Pita Wrap (beef, lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes)

Dinner:

know1edge
09-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Lunch:
Not sure exactly what this is called in english lol. I think it is called a Vietnamese pancake. Home made, has bean sprouts, shrimp, pork, onions, mushrooms and beans. Had two of these! :drool:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/2bddec1e.jpg

egg foo yung isnt it?

bigbadboss101
09-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I bleed on bar too. And with the rounding of back I think if you keep chest out and look ahead the back will naturally be in right posture.

lint
09-10-2012, 05:01 PM
"butt wink" may or may not be a problem.

Back
Lower Back Rounding

This is the infamous "butt wink," This stems from hamstring tightness pulling your lumbar spine at the bottom position. Weak spinal erectors and tight hamstrings are the most frequent culprits. It's actually not a huge issue unless it is severe and will often be present to some extent in all trainees. It's worth noting that butt wink is more severe when there is less weight on the bar rather than more. In other words, just because you are witnessing major butt winking when you do a bodyweight squat, does not mean it's the same when expressed under a loaded barbell.

Recovery and Rehab

Things you can do to reduce butt wink:
- Work on calf and hamstring flexibility
- Do NOT go up on your tiptoes
- Stretch your hamstrings.
- Warm-up sufficiently
- Stretch your hamstrings.

Edit: just saw this blogpost related to butt wink
http://squatrx.blogspot.ca/2012/09/30-days-of-squat-day-2.html

scboss
09-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Tried the techniques in the video and tempo squats.
Helped a great deal, no video though unfortunately.
I will keep working on flexibility.

I have a problem though, my lower back seems to round as I reach the bottom of the squat. How can I rectify this?

Also, when deadlifting we are supposed to keep the bar as close to our bodies as possible correct?
I have no problem with this except that I will start scraping my shins and have even bled a little on the bar (I cleaned it up good after don't worry).

Does this happen to you other deadlifters as well?

The first time I ever did a snatch grip deadlift I opened up the biggest cut ever hahaha. I still have a small scar from it. Its gonna happen sometimes if your form is good so dont worry to much and wear loose pants instead of shorts.

As for your squat make sure you keep your chest and and push your ass back when going down. Like lint posted it is probably a flexibility issue and I can almost guarantee its from your calves or hamstrings.

Dont increase the weight for now and focus on form, it may suck now but it will pay off later. I had a easy 315x5 squat before, unfortunatly I trained above 90 for years and can only muster a 245x2 ass to grass now haha. But I look like a boss doing it :thumbsup:

bigbadboss101
09-11-2012, 08:14 PM
How many calories are you taking in? What are your macros like?

Little Dragon
09-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the link to the "butt wink".
I really need to work on my hamstring flexibility. Can't even tough my toes right now.

egg foo yung isnt it?

It looks similar, but its not the same!

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
How many calories are you taking in? What are your macros like?

I should probably start counting, I just try to eat as much and as clean as I can every meal.
Any good apps for smart phones?

------------------------------------
Workout:
Squats - 3x5 - 135lbs
Bench - 3x5 - 155lbs
Deadlift - none (UofC gym was so packed today, no bars were available and we were late so skipped this unfortunately)
Dips - 2x8

I'll start counting calories/macros for my diet in addition to posting food (if I can, time is a little scarce nowadays).

littledan
09-13-2012, 11:06 AM
bun xeo

Little Dragon
09-20-2012, 09:33 PM
^ that's it. Ban xeo. Delicious.

Sorry I haven't been updating, progress has kind of stalled while I try and settle down for school this week. Haven't been hitting the gym as consistently as I should.

Also, still have butt wink on squats, so sticking with 135x5 until I get flexibility down. Slow process though...I feel like all my other lifts have stalled as well. :thumbsdow

bigbadboss101
09-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Keep at it. It's fine to use lighter weights and get the form in check. Don't forget to eat well, and get quality sleep.

flipstah
09-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Your thread is full of food porn. Hahaha keep it up!

403ep3
09-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Good job little dragon. Keep working at it and you will surpass your stalling. Just takes a little bit of time. Maybe try yoga to increase your flexibility?

Little Dragon
09-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the encouragement all.
Hoping you other guys are fairing better than me with your workouts!

Questions,

1) Does it matter if I do static (holding pose) or dynamic stretching (bouncing back and forth)? Or is it all personal preference.

2) When power cleaning, should I front squat all the way down on every rep? Or just catch the bar and go back up from where I catch it?

Also, apparently I have no butt wink at all doing the front squat when I was cleaning. Still got butt wink with back squats though unfortunately.

------------------------------------------
Workout:
Squats - 3x5 - 135lbs
Overhead Press - 3x5 - 75lbs
Power Clean - 3x5 - 115lbs
Chin Ups - 2x8 - BW

brucebanner
09-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Personally I hold when it comes to stretching. I've always thought bouncing wasn't a good way to stretch.

scboss
09-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the encouragement all.
Hoping you other guys are fairing better than me with your workouts!

Questions,

1) Does it matter if I do static (holding pose) or dynamic stretching (bouncing back and forth)? Or is it all personal preference.

2) When power cleaning, should I front squat all the way down on every rep? Or just catch the bar and go back up from where I catch it?

Also, apparently I have no butt wink at all doing the front squat when I was cleaning. Still got butt wink with back squats though unfortunately.

------------------------------------------
Workout:
Squats - 3x5 - 135lbs
Power Clean - 3x5 - 115lbs
Chin Ups - 2x8 - BW

Dynamic stretches - warmup
Static stretches - cool down
For a regular clean you want to go ass to grass with your squat but with a power clean you want to catch it pretty high

Little Dragon
09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
^ Thanks for the tips. I'll try and get a video of my power cleans next time.

No workout today, got some serious migraines when I got out of bed this morning (probably lack of sleep, waking at 6am sucks). Went to the gym but as soon as I started to squat the intensity of my migraine increased ten fold. Pretty scary actually as I felt like I was going to pass out when I was on the bottom of the squat. :nut:

Went to lay down by the mats after I put my weights back and just did light stretches until I had to go to class.
Not the best day, but not the worst. Hopefully Friday will be better.

Little Dragon
10-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Good workout today, feels good to be lifting after a few days off. Not much improvement in butt wink for squats but I'm still stretching regularly. I am hopeful to have perfect squats by the end of October.

--------------------------------------------------
Workout:
Squats - 3x5 - 135lbs
Bench - 3x5 - 155lbs
Deadlift - 3x5 - 155lbs
Dips - 2x8 - BW

---------------------------------------------------
Diet:

Meal 1: ~4 Scrambled eggs + sliced turkey + toast
Snack: Fruit Shake (blueberries, grapes, strawberries, blackberries) - Oh god this was so sour, bad berries in there!
Meal 2: Brown rice + chicken + steamed veggies
Snack: nuts, pear, banana
Meal 3: Lots of Beef, jumbo tiger shrimp, chicken lettuce, tomatoes, steamed veggies + small portion of brown rice.

Cals: 1,999
Carbs: 168
Fat: 45
Protien: 205

I'm wondering if I should start throwing a scoop of protein powder into the fruit shakes. I wanted to stay away from any supplements but it couldn't hurt, right?

Little Dragon
10-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Diet:

Meal 1: Lots of Ham & Cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread
Snack: 2 Persimmons + cup of milk
Meal 2: Lots of white lean chicken breast (so dry, but healthy I guess) + brown rice + asparagus
Snack: Fruit shake (berries again)
Meal 3: Teriyaki Chicken + teriyaki beef + brown rice + steamed veggies + yam fries

Cals: 1985
Carbs: 262
Fat: 60
Protien: 168

Little Dragon
10-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Workout:
Squats - 3x5 - 135lbs
Standing Press - 3x5 - 75lbs
Power Clean - 3x5 - 105lbs
Chin ups - 1x10, 1x8 - BW

Completely died on power cleans today. Started doing bad on the last few reps. Probably just out of energy in the morning.

--------------------------------------------------------
Diet:

Meal 1: Egg omelet sandwich with asparagus, ham
Snack: Fruit Shake (various berries)
Meal 2: Brown rice + diced ham + asparagus
Snack: fruits
Meal 3: Brown rice + 3 boiled eggs + beef chunk + cucumber slices

Not as much food intake today as I'd like.
I have to start packing more for snack meals, but I'm starting to get hungry consistently. Hoping that is a sign my metabolism is kicking in.

flipstah
10-03-2012, 08:53 PM
I believe in you, boss. Keep that shit up! :)

Little Dragon
10-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks buddy, wish I was as diligent as you during holiday/vacations tho haha.

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving weekend, I won't bother posting up the diet from Saturday until today. Makes me cry, but it was damn good. :drool:

Here is the diet for last Thursday and workout/diet for Friday that I forgot to post up. I will probably miss today's workout since I just got back to Calgary.

Thursday
Diet:
Meal 1: Oatmeal, 3 scrambled eggs, apple
Snack: Banana, fruit shake
Meal 2: Brown rice, asparagus, steak
Snack: Apple, nuts
Meal 3: Brown rice, steamed veggies, roast beef

Friday
Workout:
Squat - 3x5 - 135lbs
Bench - 3x5 - 155lbs
Deadlift - 3x5 - 155lbs
Dips - 2x8 - BW

Still stretching to get rid of the butt wink. Can't wait until I can start squatting heavier.

Diet:
Meal 1: Casadia filled with diced veggies, some cheese and turkey
Snack: Fruit shake, banana
Meal 2: Mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, turkey
Snack: apple, small bag of trail mix
Meal 3: Mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, roast beef

Little Dragon
10-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Worked out yesterday since I missed Monday's workout.

Workout:
Squat - 3x5 - 135lbs
Power Clean - 3x5 - 105lbs
Chin ups - 2x8 - BW

------------------------------------------------
Diet:

Meal 1: Egg omelete sandwich - 3 eggs, diced veggies, mushrooms, whole wheat bread
Snack: Fruit shake (blackberries, blueberry with milk) + protien scoop
Meal 2: Mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, leftover turkey + gravy
Snack: Apple, Banana, nuts
Meal 3: Soup with Atlantic salmon, shrimp, tomatoes, celery, bean sprouts

I keep forgetting to post up macros:

Cals: 1921
Carbs: 154g
Fat: 46g
Protien: 162g

lint
10-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Why are your workouts not moving up in weight? Is that a cut an paste error?

bigbadboss101
10-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Looks like a clean diet :thumbsup:

scboss
10-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Why are your workouts not moving up in weight? Is that a cut an paste error?

This. Are you not currently getting spots for your lifts? Every workout you should be either increasing the weight or going up in reps.

Little Dragon
10-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I don't have a spot except for bench.

What is the expected increase in weight, 5lbs a week to all lifts?

-Squats are stuck at 135lbs because I don't want to go any higher until I can go lower without the butt wink.

-Bench is stalled at 155lbs, some days I can do it with ease and other days I struggle a lot on the last set. I might be able to increase this week actually.

-Deadlifts are increasing slowly, currently at 155lbs. Most days I am exhausted after my second set and can barely pump out the last set, so I haven't increased the weight much.

-Power Clean, my form for my last few reps gets really sloppy on this at 115lbs. Almost hurt my wrist badly with some of my catches. So I have lowered it down to 105lbs. I am extremely tired after the 1st set so that contributes to the sloppy form.

-Overhead Press, I believe this is stalling as well around the 75-80lbs range. Same deal with bench where I can pump it out with ease some days and struggle with other days.

I feel like a large part of it is I am so damn tired when I workout. I usually am in the gym at 6:45am to make it for my 8am classes. Doesn't help that I am usually up late catching up with work.

Shit, never noticed this before, thanks for pointing it out!
Maybe I should work out later in the day instead. Catch up on my sleep instead.

zipdoa
10-10-2012, 02:41 PM
moar food, moar muscle, moar weight, moar strength

nom nom nom brother.

make sure you hit that brotein within 15 minutes of finishing your workout. eat cottage cheese 10m before bed. get food in your stomach as soon as you wake up. prevent that catabolic state!

austic
10-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Power Clean, my form for my last few reps gets really sloppy on this at 115lbs. Almost hurt my wrist badly with some of my catches. So I have lowered it down to 105lbs. I am extremely tired after the 1st set so that contributes to the sloppy form.

you need to work on your wrist flexiblity and catch position. take the 45lb bar and hold it in the rack position on the edges of your fingers, the slowly wrap your fingers on the bar and curl is up slightly while trying to maintain contact in the rack position. do this for a few minutes before you start your cleans. then spend some time 20-30 reps power cleaning the bar and cathching it above parallel aka your catch postion. make sure everytime you catch the bar you spend 5-10 seconds hanging out in your catch postion before you stand up fully. Getting more flexible and building a strong catch position are key when you start trying to put some serious weights over your head.