PDA

View Full Version : Will this kill my car sale?

Crystalrw
08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
I bought my vehicle just last year and was led to believe that there were no accidents or claims on it. Probably should have ran a report just to be safe.

Now I'm selling the vehicle and I just ran a CarProof report on it and... :facepalm:

Accident Records - This vehicle has 2 record(s)

Claims Records
Incident Date 05/13/2010
Incident Type Damage Claim
Category Collision - Vehicle
Damage Amount $0

Accident Estimate Data
Incident Date 05/13/2010
Incident Type Repair Estimate
Point Of Impact Right Front Corner
Damage Amount $3,121.40

I assume it was just a rear-ender or something like it - can't tell from looking at it that it was repaired but I do not have a well trained eye. Do I have to disclose this information to potential buyers now? If asked, I wouldn't feel comfortable not being honest - but I have no idea what happened to the vehicle.

Is $3121.40 considered significant damage? Should I be worried that this is going to kill my chances at selling my vehicle for a fair price?

:cry:

realazy
08-01-2012, 03:28 PM
What kind of car is it?

On a newer car, $3000 isn't that much damage. A bumper, fender and headlight would easily add up to that much.

Crystalrw
08-01-2012, 03:28 PM
It's a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona. It's a limited edition paint colour so maybe repainting everything cost extra?

-relk-
08-01-2012, 03:39 PM
I wouldnt consider that major damage, probably just a fender bender. To put in my experience, I was invovled in a fender bender a couple years ago, I can't remember what parts got replaced (not a whole lot) and with no major damage, it was ~$4000.

I would not worry too much, if they ask, just tell them it was a minor fender bender and no major damage.

I would suggest getting a carproof next time you buy a used car though.

Edit: Car was an 05 civic

Edit 2: Carproof > Carfax

Graham_A_M
08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
$3k damage is nothing really. If you scrap up against a pole at a parkade (causing light body damage) then thats about $3k right there.
It adds up very quickly. I'd be more concerned with what kind of job they did, if it was a "Bash & Slash bodywork special" or if it was done correctly.

Crystalrw
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I've learned my lesson - $35 is peanuts, I'll never buy a used vehicle without getting a report again!

I'm hoping it's nothing serious. I'll take a closer look at the front end but neither myself or anybody I know has noticed anything unusual so it seems to be a pretty solid repair.

I appreciate the reassurance! Fingers crossed that this won't knock too much off of my sale price.

nykz
08-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Just be honest and upfront about it if they ask. If you tell them the situation and how you find out yourself just recently, chances are the potential buyer won't mind. Especially if you willingly tell them upfront. Rather than say you don't know and when they do their own carproof/fax and find out about the damage. They may not necessarily find you trustworthy even if you really didn't know.

Like others have said, $3000 is really nothing especially for such a new car, painting a fender and replacing a headlight can easily cost that much depending on the shop.

JLau
08-01-2012, 05:34 PM
3000 hit is nothing....

Goodfella
08-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Well if the status is not rebuilt I wouldn't even bother mentioning the fact. There is an old saying that goes "ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies" :thumbsup:

J-hop
08-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by -relk-

I would suggest getting a carfax next time you buy a used car though.

don't get a carfax they are useless, get a carproof report.

To be honest OP if the buyer doesn't do their homework that is their problem. Being an honest person myself I don't think I could not tell someone who was about to drop their hard earned cash on my car but it is a buyer beware market.

The last used car I bought the PO was great in explaining what damage he knew about and all the repairs he had done and was 100% open as far as I know. I appreciated that, but I also did my homework going into the sale so I wasn't surprised at anything he told me.

edit: as mentioned by others that isn't a heck of a lot of damage so no i don't think it would kill the sale

BensonTT
08-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Hey guys kinda off topic, Lets say you got into a car accident and claim insurance. How long would it take for it to show up in the Carproof report etc? Someone told me it can take 3 to 6 months.. Is that true?

2Legit2Quit
08-02-2012, 08:29 AM
If anyone asks if it's been in an accident, just tell them what you know. But yeah, for a newer car like that, not much $ so I doubt it was anything too serious, which shouldn't scare a buyer away.

euro_racer
08-02-2012, 09:00 AM
You are over reacting just a little. Like said before, unless it has a branded title it should not diminish the value of the car. The car was fixed properly trough insurance. Also $3k is nothing really, take note this picture of when I got rear ended 2 months ago, the damage is mostly to the bumper which had to be repaired (not replaced) and I have gotten 3 body shop estimates for $2000-2200...

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u439/karna_/767a0014.jpg

Crystalrw
08-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Haha yes, didn't do my homework and now it's my problem. But I will do as advised and give that information if asked.

I've never had to do bodywork on a vehicle before and really had no clue about the costs.

$2000+ seems like a lot for a few scrapes, euro_racer! At least it's on their insurance, not yours!

BokCh0y
08-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Worried about $3k in damages? That's fuck all.

My SUV:

Accident 1 - my fault, rear ended hot chick. Did $1700 damage on her and $1700 damage on mine, just a scratched bumper, no cuts or cracks. This just to have both refinished.

Accident 2 - other parties fault. Got side swiped, damge from front end to rear end. $17000.

Accident 3 - other parties fault. Side swiped again, damge on just freshly repaired < 2 months ago from accident above - $3k passenger front and rear doors need to be repaired.

Now I'm gonna have probs reselling this vehicle hahaha. You, you're fine :)

J-hop
08-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Crystalrw
Haha yes, didn't do my homework and now it's my problem. But I will do as advised and give that information if asked.

I've never had to do bodywork on a vehicle before and really had no clue about the costs.

$2000+ seems like a lot for a few scrapes, euro_racer! At least it's on their insurance, not yours!

some prick hit me in a parking lot last year, 1 panel = $2300, the panel itself was probably only a couple hundred of that, autobody work ain't cheap!

jdmXSI
08-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Its not purple is it? If it is, this is what might of happened... lol

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/its-got-a-hemi-/showthread.php?s=&threadid=225314&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

Crystalrw
08-03-2012, 01:45 PM
LOL. My heart stopped when you asked if it was purple, and it is, and then I saw the pictures. :nut: Poor bastards.

freshprince1
08-08-2012, 10:59 AM
That sounds like cosmetic damage. On a newer car like that, $3200 is not that much.

Kloubek
08-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Unless I know for a fact a vehicle has not had any claims against it or it is salvage, I don't bring up accident history with a potential buyer unless he/she asks. (Which many do)

The history on this car appears to be negligible, and I agree - it really shouldn't keep someone from buying it.

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2012, 11:35 AM
I rear ended someone at under 5km/h in my old car, damage was barely visible (ZERO damage to the other vehicle, and they never made a claim). My repair bill was $10,000, mostly because insurance agreed to replace the HID headlight assemblies "just in case" which I believe were around $2500 each. Moral of the story is that it doesn't take much, especially with newer cars.

It also depends on the buyer. Given two similar cars, one of which has been in an accident, one which hasn't, people will pick the one without an accident every time unless there is incentive not to (price). Some may not care as much unless there are lots of similar ones for sale.

I personally would never buy a car that has been in an accident unless I knew exactly what happened, and it was extremely minor. $3,000 in damage sounds pretty minor, that could be hardly anything at all.

Crystalrw
08-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I've never been in any collision so these numbers are completely new to me! It's pretty shocking what a little bump can cost. I guess that's a lesson to me when I buy my next vehicle to not cut and run at $3000 damage if it's that minor.

The only insurance claim I've ever had to deal with was when I convinced my boyfriend to drive his SUV through a low river while camping... flooded engine, water inside fried the electrical under the seats, insurance wrote it off. Oops! :nut:

Spoons
08-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Goodfella
Well if the status is not rebuilt I wouldn't even bother mentioning the fact. There is an old saying that goes &quot;ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies&quot; :thumbsup:

This right here.

If it was a rebuilt, I mean I would mention that right off the get go.

With that being said though, so many people out there don't know a thing about vehicles, and they will look at that and get all bent out of shape. If he asks for a carproof/carfax, then hand it over but only if he asks. If he asks if it has been in any accidents, then be privy to such details.

But if he doesn't ask for any of that, don't worry about it. He doesn't need to know it was in a fender bender.