PDA

View Full Version : LSD in winter

know1edge
08-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Just curious on thoughts and experience on a 2 way mechanical lsd+RWD in Calgary winter.
Debating between 1.5 & 2 way but dont want to get the 1.5 and then upgrade later down the road.

m10-power
08-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Two way and snowy/icy roads wont be a good combo, especially if you have a lots of engine braking.

rage2
08-02-2012, 11:25 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/2-way-lsd-on-the-streets/showthread.php?s=&postid=3659852#post3659852

Originally posted by rage2
I think you need to understand what each type of LSD does before you decide on what you want to fit on your car. Let's look at the 3 types of LSD's. They basically lock wheel speeds in different situations, acceleration vs deceleration (overrun). I'm only going to look at this from a RWD perspective.

1 way - locked during accel, open on decel.

1.5 way - locked during accel, partial lock on decel.

2 way - locked during accel, locked on decel.

So, the only difference between the 3 is what happens when you decel, or let off the throttle. Since this only affects when the rear wheels rotate at a different rate (such as cornering), the effects are pretty much only apparent when you let of the throttle while turning, or trail braking into a corner.

With the 1 way LSD's, when you let off and turn, the rear end stays planted, as the diff allows both wheels to turn at whatever rate it's turning at. If you're already understeering into a corner, it'll just continue to understeer. If you're oversteering into a corner, the rear end will slowly match road speed and save your ass. Almost all factory LSD's are 1 ways, because it's the most consistent and easiest to drive for inexperienced drivers.

With 1.5 way LSD's, when you let off and turn, the rear end locks a bit (allowing say, 30% speed differential), so that it slips the rear tires slightly. The effect of this is that if you're understeering into a corner, the rear sliding slightly will reduce understeer (effectively putting the car in a light 4 wheel drift) resulting in sharper turn-in. For a moderately experienced driver on street tires, it'll allow the driver to adjust cornering balance with both the steering wheel, as well as the throttle.

So, what's the point of a 2 way LSD then? Well, if you slap on sticky race tires on a car with a 1.5 way LSD, the partial lock is not enough to unsettle the back end. So a higher level of locking (allowing only say, 10% speed differential) will create the exact same effect as 1.5 on street tires while overcoming the higher levels of grip provided by the tires. The side effect of all this is, if you have street tires, the higher level of lock on decel will slide the rear end wildly on street tires, which is great for drifting. For the inexperienced (pretty much anyone that's never done drifting), it's can be pretty damn scary, especially if you lift off near the limit on the street for whatever reason. The longer you stay off the throttle, the greater the slip angle, and the bigger the slide till you're facing the other way.

BTW - this is info is pretty useful for those that play Gran Turismo as well. :D
For winter, 1 way would be the safe bet. 1.5 way with a mild lock on decel would be drivable, but still tail happy... a decent compromise for good street performance in the summers and usability in winter. 2 way would be insane, unless you have insane traction on the rear tires... as in racing slick traction lol.

And like m10-power says, depends on how much engine braking is going on too.

zipdoa
08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Depending on your car, a torsen rear diff might be perfect.

lastlatvian
08-04-2012, 02:51 PM
2 way or welded in the winters fine, get good snow tires, if you don't you'll be Mr.plow. If you're a shitty driver don't get a 2 way. Also unless it's a clutch type lsd you're wasting your money.

know1edge
08-04-2012, 05:59 PM
you have a 2 way on your 86?

Sentry
08-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by lastlatvian
2 way or welded in the winters fine, get good snow tires, if you don't you'll be Mr.plow. If you're a shitty driver don't get a 2 way. Also unless it's a clutch type lsd you're wasting your money.
I agree. I LOVED torsens in FWD cars, but I've got a factory torsen in my Aristo and it blows balls.

Does it burn both tires whenever I want? Yep. Unfortunately it's unpredictable and can sometimes kick you sideways when you're trying to go straight, say if it shifts into second while spinning a little. Wouldn't be so bad with a manual tranny but I would still rather a clutch diff on a RWD car.

m10-power
08-05-2012, 07:18 AM

Welded diff on the street lol

Cos
08-05-2012, 08:41 AM

m10-power
08-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Cos

You must be a shitty driver....

Lol must be, maybe that why I cant drift every turn...

HO2S
08-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by m10-power

Lol must be, maybe that why I cant drift every turn...
I drive a welded diff in a s13 year round. I have no problems at all. Your not drifting unless you want to be and its very predictable. You get a bit of tire chip on corners but that's all.

Maxt
08-06-2012, 06:42 PM
The old Lincoln Locker, been there done that.

Cos
08-06-2012, 07:39 PM

lastlatvian
08-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by m10-power

Welded diff on the street lol

yup I have a welded diff and 280 hp at the rear wheels in my sr86. it's np, plus 8-6kg springs :) because daily driver.

The two winters before I had a kaaz 2 way in my black top swap other ae86... This last winter I had a 1.5 in my bimmer and 3 years ago I had a tomei 2 way 21 clutch race lsd with over 90% lock in my s13.

So far welded is my fav. It's just a better connection with the road imo.

zipdoa
08-14-2012, 03:18 PM
lol, those running welded diffs in the summer, doesn't your car skip like mad around corners? are your tires wearing out significantly faster?

know1edge
08-14-2012, 05:33 PM
1.5 it is

adidas
08-14-2012, 07:09 PM

...because daily driver.

http://becauseracecar.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ROBLES-BECAUSE-RACECAR-650x479.jpg

m10-power
08-14-2012, 10:04 PM
:facepalm:

rage2
08-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
I should have also mentioned it's for an essentially stock ae86, so not much power going to the wheels
It's not about power to the wheels, it's about the deceleration from the rear wheels because it's trying to lock them to the same speeds while turning.