PDA

View Full Version : Newish Hot Water tank failure

2.2vtec
08-02-2012, 07:58 AM
First off my home is a little over 3 years old and when I attempted to take a shower yesterday there was no hot water. I went down to the basement to find the water leaking from the relief valve.

I called the builder assuming that a hot water tank is usually covered for at least 5 years (I'm assuming) but they say it only falls within the 1 year warrenty.

So I proceeded to call a plumber and they replaced relief valve but said the lack of hot water is another problem. They think the little grey box that controls temp crapped out causing it to over heat and then releasing water from the relief valve. So he is getting the part for me.

Why question is can i do anything in relation to warrenty? He mentioned that he hasn't seen this happen to a hot water tank this new before.

codetrap
08-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Hey, instead of asking the internet, why don't you call the hotline number on the side of the hot water tank and ask them this questions?

2.2vtec
08-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Hey, instead of asking the internet, why don't you call the hotline number on the side of the hot water tank and ask them this questions?

I first called the builder then i called the hotline number and left a message alongside an email.

I was hoping to get answers faster as I don't want to hold out on this getting fixed via warrenty if somone knows I'm wasting my time.

Tomaz
08-02-2012, 09:02 AM
^^^ Bingo

Normally, you are required to contact the manufacturer to get anywhere. Normally there is warranty info on the side of the tank. Also it should be in the booklet that came with the tank, which most builders put in a cute little package for you.

Good luck!

PS: Funny he should mention that he hasn't seen it before. I have gone through 3 of those control boxes. Just in the past 4 months! I'm going to check the brand tonight, perhaps we have the same shitty heater.

codetrap
08-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick 2. :)

you&me
08-02-2012, 10:26 AM
OP - what brand do you have?

I went through the exact issue with my Giant hot water tank.

Luckily received great service and the parts were replaced by the local rep free of charge. If anyone has any problems with their Giant tank, I can point them to the right people.

2.2vtec
08-02-2012, 10:39 AM
It's a State Water Heater.

Just got off the phone with them and they said the part i need is mostly likely covered under warrrenty (I'm at work and can't get the part number to them but explained the problem and what it looked like).

I have to pay for labour as only certain parts are covered.

biswabm
08-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Its really sad to hear your hot water tank has been out of order

I think you should contact a new water tank expert

cheers