PDA

View Full Version : Shaw install techs- question regarding discontinuing services

J-hop
08-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Quick question, when someone calls to have their shaw services discontinued do they physically "cut the cord" or is it simply a "soft" disconnect that is done by someone on a computer at shaw?

403_Calgary
08-02-2012, 11:03 PM
When I discontinued my services it was a "soft" disconnection but they keep billing you until you return all of their hardware (modems etc.)

CanmoreOrLess
08-03-2012, 12:24 AM
When you do return the goodies to Shaw, make certain they sign for the returns. I dropped everything off at the local depot and they sent a letter six weeks later saying they have yet to receive the goods. The drop consisted of an old ass cardboard box set up in the lobby area.

Grogador
08-03-2012, 02:58 AM
Digital services (phone, internet, cableboxes) can be turned off remotely. They hafta roll a truck to disconnect analog cable or add an analog filter for basic/tiers.

J-hop
08-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Ok thanks that makes sense

eblend
08-03-2012, 07:28 AM
I heard with Digital boxes they send a signal to the receiver to block it, and if the receiver is disconnected when you call them in to cancel, it won't get the signal and service can continue. No idea if there is any truth to that or not

J-hop
08-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Interesting, definitely not looking to get free service, just any service at all :( . Other tenants moved out and canceled their service and all of a sudden we have no services, no phone, Internet or tv, I wanted to see if it could be related and maybe the service tech snipped the wrong cord something. Must just be a coincidence

speedog
08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
Interesting, definitely not looking to get free service, just any service at all :( . Other tenants moved out and canceled their service and all of a sudden we have no services, no phone, Internet or tv, I wanted to see if it could be related and maybe the service tech snipped the wrong cord something. Must just be a coincidence
Could very well be a tech snipping a wire - had our TELUS internet/OptikTV and one of our two land lines go dead about two weeks ago - went outside and guess what, a TELUS contractor up on a ladder in the alley working in an aerial junction box where our lines came out of. Quizzed him and he said he wasn't touching anything and he wouldn't even check anything. Had to call a trouble in and another contracted tech was sent the next day who discovered one side of the pair in that same junction box that served us was clipped - uh huh, the previous guy had nothing to do with it.

SKR
08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

That happened to me a couple months ago. Neighbors moved out, they disconnected me instead. I called to book a tech but once the guy on the phone found out what happened he turned everything back on again from his end.

J-hop
08-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Yea I chatted with the shaw guy and he said our account was still fine on their side so he figured it was a line issue, tech can't come for a few days :(

Just seems too much of a coincidence, considering there was a lot of confusion during the initial set up- ie: te other tenants moved in before us and when we tried to get our services set up and had major problems they said our modem serial number was licensed to someone else's account (I am going out on a limb and say they probably put it on the other tenants account)

J-hop
08-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Update: turns out it was a physical disconnect. Quick fix though!

Grogador
08-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Disconnecting the wrong line is pretty common, especially in basement splits, duplexes etc. Often they put the tag on the tap/pole and yank that, instead of looking in the gray box behind the house where it splits...

Originally posted by eblend
I heard with Digital boxes they send a signal to the receiver to block it, and if the receiver is disconnected when you call them in to cancel, it won't get the signal and service can continue. No idea if there is any truth to that or not

Yup but once you plug it back in it'll try to reauth within a few hrs/days and disable anyway. If you block two-way comms it'll disable after a week of no communication.

J-hop
08-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
Disconnecting the wrong line is pretty common, especially in basement splits, duplexes etc. Often they put the tag on the tap/pole and yank that, instead of looking in the gray box behind the house where it splits...

Yea what ended up happening is they disconnected it at the gray box but instead of disconnecting after the splitter they disconnected before and killed both at once.

I am going to give shaw a shout and see if they'll cut us a break for this month as we had no services for almost 4 days and I'm going to have a nice cell bill because my cell plan doesn't cover tethered data and I had to for work :(

anarchy
08-09-2012, 10:23 AM
J-Hop - did you speak to anyone at Shaw yet? Were they able to do anything for you?