PDA

View Full Version : Water on basement floor

Skyline_Addict
08-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Hi Guys,

Discovered some water on my basement floor in the utility room (where its undeveloped). Parts of the floor near a stretch of wall are wet, near the furnace and water supply pipes to the exterior of my house (for the taps outside that hook up to hoses to water plants, etc.).

Who's the best person to call for a reasonable and quick resolution? I called a place from google and no one will be out there until September...

Thanks

benyl
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I would look at where it is coming from.

It could be your humidifier. If it clogged full of limescale, it might be overflowing.

mr2mike
08-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Check the walls for small cracks with water stains. Hopefully the walls aren't drywalled.

Trace it back, it's unlikely it seeped up from the floor. Prob humidifier like Benyl said.

DENZILDON
08-03-2012, 01:53 PM
If the drywall is wet you may want to remove it. Wipe out as much water that you can and Put a fan to blow on the wet areas to avoid mold.

Skyline_Addict
08-03-2012, 01:55 PM
hi guys. the walls are not wet, or do not seem to be. walls are not finished, just have insulation and plastic over it.

Kloubek
08-03-2012, 02:28 PM
I 2nd (3rd) the humidifier possibility. In fact, my furnace has a freakin network of water/drainage hoses around it and has now leaked moisture twice due to different issues surrounding them.

One was a kinked hose that was backing up, the other is some sort of little box beside the furnace where a cap fell off and water was dripping from a hole in the box. I have no idea what that box is for, actually....

Skyline_Addict
08-03-2012, 02:47 PM
It looks like the water supply pipes mentioned in the OP are the culprit. Upon closer inspection there is a thin stream of water coming out from it. I have tried tigtening the bolts around the area but it isn't helping.

Basically I have to coordinate getting a plumber in and having the city of calgary turning off the water supply while the plumber works on it. In the meantime, I've been advised to put a bucket where the water is landing...

Nearest available time slot the city can do their thing is Aug 13....

So, does anyone know a plumber who can come on Aug 13? lol.

dflamzer
08-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Check your sump pump ASAP. When the pump goes thats exactly what you'll notice. Water just starts to appear in odd locations until finally it forms big pools. Make sure that pump is working.

benyl
08-03-2012, 05:12 PM
So it is leaking before or after your meter? There should be a whole house water shutoff just after the meter.

barmanjay
08-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Take a pic of the culprit

That would be more helpful than trying to imagine via interwebs

sillysod
08-03-2012, 11:31 PM
You can put a pair of vice grips on the line (assuming it's plastic) before the leak (assuming it's before the shut off) and it will stop the water.

Go to home depot, rent a crimper and fix it.

Even if you have to buy vice grips it will be under $50 to fix it.

Use these ones to crimp your line.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NW5IzGQUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg