PDA

View Full Version : Rally rollcage prices?

Kramerica
08-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Was talking to a guy today and he said the price for a FIA legal rollcage to use in canadian rally racing was $5K-7K. Is there anybody that can confirm this price? it seems a little high for me.

cloud7
08-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Prices vary, but locally it is more like $3000 to $4000. When I got my road roadracing cage (FIA Spec), it was less than $3000... and it was a good quality cage... a rally cage is a little more in material. $5-7K seems a little bit excessive to me at least, but it really depends what is included.

Graham_A_M
08-04-2012, 07:13 PM
^ Yeah it depends, if you want bare minimum then around $3-4k, but a very high end cage will be $7-14k
It depends who you talk to. I know a guy who builds cages for ultra-high HP drag cars. He's an insane TIG welder, and he can do it for you. PM me if you want his contact info. His name is Steve at White Knight racing.

BlackArcher101
08-04-2012, 10:37 PM
What are you thinking of caging?

HiTempguy1
08-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

It depends who you talk to. I know a guy who builds cages for ultra-high HP drag cars. He's an insane TIG welder, and he can do it for you. PM me if you want his contact info. His name is Steve at White Knight racing.

Unfortunately, just because someone knows how to build "a" cage, does not mean they know how to design and build a cage for rally. They differ substantially from drag cages, with many distinct nuances that can be missed when building to the CARS rulebook.

Not to say the person you mention CAN NOT build a cage for rally, but saying that there may be critical points in the build that are missed and will require costly rework. Even something as simple as the cage material (which differs greatly from drag cage requirements) may catch them out if they are not paying attention to the rule book.

If you ask on cscc.speedracer.ca, that would be the place to go for the answer to your question. DSC race cars in Didsbury is where a significant amount of rally people get their cages done at.

The price can also vary greatly between cage builders, as can the quality. From my understanding, there is a gentleman in Saskatoon that will do one for ~$2k, and I've saw his work which is acceptable to myself and passes tech :dunno: You'll definitely be looking at over $3k if you keep it here in Alberta, more if you go almost anywhere else.

Maxt
08-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Last one I did was in a rally car,IIRC I charged 2100.00 for it.

HiTempguy1
08-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Maxt

Whose car if you don't mind sharing? There are probably 5 people alone this year that would bang down your door at that price...

Graham_A_M
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
^ He's done a few Rally cages as well.

Jason Lange
08-08-2012, 08:46 AM
$2100...wow, that is cheap!

Revhard
08-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Jason Lange
$2100...wow, that is cheap!

Agreed. Post pics Maxt.
If the quality is there, that price will be tough to beat.

78si
08-08-2012, 02:03 PM

Your the most talented janitor on the internet!:D

Maxt
08-08-2012, 06:38 PM
I never kept any pics of it, it was a rallied rx-7. There are a few bits for the Rx7 that can be bought pre-bent from Competition engineering, which really keeps the bending time down. It went through tech and passed no issues and looked pretty decent.
I am in the midst of putting another cage together for my track car, something that is pretty screwey now, is that I can buy a complete prebent kit from the states, cheaper than I can buy raw tubing for here locally..

Revhard
08-09-2012, 08:00 AM
I never kept any pics of it, it was a rallied rx-7. There are a few bits for the Rx7 that can be bought pre-bent from Competition engineering, which really keeps the bending time down. It went through tech and passed no issues and looked pretty decent.
I am in the midst of putting another cage together for my track car, something that is pretty screwey now, is that I can buy a complete prebent kit from the states, cheaper than I can buy raw tubing for here locally..

No surprise there. I get 4130 for the same price out of the US as they want for DOM here, including all shipping and handling.

Jason Lange
08-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Ya, same here. Regardless, I wouldn't get much past supplying materials and the grinding and base plate stage for that price. Maybe I'm charging too much, oh well...

HiTempguy1
08-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Jason Lange
Ya, same here. Regardless, I wouldn't get much past supplying materials and the grinding and base plate stage for that price. Maybe I'm charging too much, oh well...

I wouldn't go that far about charging too much. Your prices sound much more in line with what I am used to seeing.

Honestly MaxT, it's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I can't remember the last RX7 that was ran in Alberta. There hasn't been one ran in 3 years, and that car was old and I know the owners.

We are not talking about rallycross, which cages aren't required for. There are also very few pieces of a road race cage that will meet the requirements for a rally cage out of a prebent kit.

The materials requirements and thickness aren't even the same AFAIK. Which event was it ran at? I have data back to 2006 readily available. Niel Wright is the only person (IIRC) to have competed.

You can NOT rally with a road race cage. Not only would it never get logbooked, it wouldn't pass scrutineering. They are not anywhere close to similiar.

I am not pulling out my e-penis about this. I am the president of RallyWest (the regional sanctioning body for rallying in Western Canada) and not only do I deeply care if people are informed, I care much more if they are mis-informed. Someone with little knowledge who were to get a road-race cage installed for rallying, would be out $2-$3k with nothing to show for it when our technical director/scrutineer said "no" and the whole thing would have to be torn out. Every single competitor we get is a boost to our community, so I just am trying to make sure everyone (including myself) is informed.

Toma
08-09-2012, 02:49 PM
something that is pretty screwey now, is that I can buy a complete prebent kit from the states, cheaper than I can buy raw tubing for here locally..

Yeah, bought a chromoly drag cage kit out of the US, and all that we ended up being able to use was the main hoop (and only if we mounted it in the rear seat hump). Dario had to bend and fab the rest, it owuld have fit, but poorly.

And, the freight was bad. lol.

Canada sucks for tubing though, for sure.

Maxt
08-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I wouldn't go that far about charging too much. Your prices sound much more in line with what I am used to seeing.

Honestly MaxT, it's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I can't remember the last RX7 that was ran in Alberta. There hasn't been one ran in 3 years, and that car was old and I know the owners.

We are not talking about rallycross, which cages aren't required for. There are also very few pieces of a road race cage that will meet the requirements for a rally cage out of a prebent kit.

The materials requirements and thickness aren't even the same AFAIK. Which event was it ran at? I have data back to 2006 readily available. Niel Wright is the only person (IIRC) to have competed.

You can NOT rally with a road race cage. Not only would it never get logbooked, it wouldn't pass scrutineering. They are not anywhere close to similiar.

I am not pulling out my e-penis about this. I am the president of RallyWest (the regional sanctioning body for rallying in Western Canada) and not only do I deeply care if people are informed, I care much more if they are mis-informed. Someone with little knowledge who were to get a road-race cage installed for rallying, would be out $2-$3k with nothing to show for it when our technical director/scrutineer said "no" and the whole thing would have to be torn out. Every single competitor we get is a boost to our community, so I just am trying to make sure everyone (including myself) is informed.
It has been awhile, what seems like a short time for me, is sometimes years, but actually 2 rx7's went through my shop, same owners, they smashed the first one into oblivion, and then sold the second one, racing was just a huge effort and they got tired of it.. The price of the CE parts hasn't really changed at all, and I would probably still use their parts for the cage base if I was doing a specific to rule cage like the rally rules required. The prebent parts, and sometimes prenotched makes it easy to fit one up. The guy that tech'd the cages was Mike from Turner Valley if memory serves correctly.
Rx_7turbo2 can vouch for the cars, he was my helper monkey on those projects.

Maxt
08-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Yeah, bought a chromoly drag cage kit out of the US, and all that we ended up being able to use was the main hoop (and only if we mounted it in the rear seat hump). Dario had to bend and fab the rest, it owuld have fit, but poorly.

And, the freight was bad. lol.

Canada sucks for tubing though, for sure.
I dont know if its because its all oil field supply or what, but the pricing is just plain silly.
Some of the prebent kits are disasters, but there are few good ones out there. I was looking at pics on other forums, and some have tight fit and others you could throw a football between the roof and the roofbars.
Its still funny a mustang fox body kit fit like its custom bent for a FC, and that has to be one of the cheapest kits.