PDA

View Full Version : flooring in condo

snoop101
08-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Hello all

So going to redo the flooring in our condo. I think I want to go with engineered hardwood as it seems to be more durable. The biggest issue I have is do I put it in the bathrooms? Is there such thing as to much hardwood? Should I do kitchen, dining, living room, bathrooms and both bedrooms or do tile in bathrooms and carpet in the bedrooms with the rest engineered hardwood.

Obviously some people are going to have different views, but I will need to sell in the next year or two and dont want to do something that will be hard to sell.

C_Dave45
08-05-2012, 09:13 AM
"Hardwood" Tile!!!! :rofl:

Indestructible Hardwood (http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/want-indestructable-waterproof-hardwood/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345876&highlight=hardwood)

Maxt
08-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Paging BananaFOB.

dj_rice
08-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Would bathrooms be a good idea for hardwood?With all the moisture and potential water from getting out of the shower etc I think that would be bad.

I would do kitchen/bathrooms tile. And then everything else hardwood.

C_Dave45
08-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Would bathrooms be a good idea for hardwood?With all the moisture and potential water from getting out of the shower etc I think that would be bad.

I would do kitchen/bathrooms tile. And then everything else hardwood. That's why I suggested the "hardwood" tile. Best of both worlds. Can keep a unified look throughout the entire unit, yet still impervious to water damage.

tile

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_1425.jpg

snoop101
08-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

I would do kitchen/bathrooms tile. And then everything else hardwood.

I was reading the engineered hardwood is not to bad. Not sure if anyone else can comment on that.

D'z Nutz
08-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
"Hardwood" Tile!!!! :rofl:

Indestructible Hardwood (http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/want-indestructable-waterproof-hardwood/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345876&highlight=hardwood)

Every time I drop something on my shitty "hardwood" in my condo I think about replacing it with this stuff you posted. Piece of shit material dents even when coins fall on it.

buh_buh
08-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Anyone know what causes creaky floors? I've got probably laminate floors in my condo, and they are creaky as hell. Pretty annoying in the mornings when I'm trying to walk around the bedroom and the gf is still asleep.

snoop101
08-06-2012, 05:35 AM
I might as well continue with my question.

Is there a good place that I can get all my flooring done in one place with one quote.

I was thinking Home depot just because it maybe cheaper, but then I hear how the quality can be really good or really bad. I guess another advantage to home depot would be able to pay it off over time if I wanted to.

Swank
08-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Anyone know what causes creaky floors? I've got probably laminate floors in my condo, and they are creaky as hell. Pretty annoying in the mornings when I'm trying to walk around the bedroom and the gf is still asleep.

Not enuf/proper nails through your base flooring into the floor joists. Laminate would reside on top of the problem. Tear it up, fix it, walk around for a few weeks until she says it's silent and then throw down some flooring of your choice.

CapnCrunch
08-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
Hello all

So going to redo the flooring in our condo. I think I want to go with engineered hardwood as it seems to be more durable. The biggest issue I have is do I put it in the bathrooms? Is there such thing as to much hardwood? Should I do kitchen, dining, living room, bathrooms and both bedrooms or do tile in bathrooms and carpet in the bedrooms with the rest engineered hardwood.

Obviously some people are going to have different views, but I will need to sell in the next year or two and dont want to do something that will be hard to sell.

Personally, I'd do tile in the bathroom (moisture) and kitchen (I always drop fork and knives and pots lol) and eng hardwood everywhere else.

sputnik
08-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Have you considered cork flooring?

JustinMCS
08-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
That's why I suggested the "hardwood" tile. Best of both worlds. Can keep a unified look throughout the entire unit, yet still impervious to water damage.

tile

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_1425.jpg

When I redo my engineered hardwood in my condo I'm getting you to put this throughout. I fucking love it.

snoop101
08-11-2012, 12:43 PM
So I went into end of the roll just to take a look. One thing that really surprised me was the quality of Vinyl and Laminate flooring. Other then some being thin a lot actually looked and felt like wood. For the price I might go with one of the two and lay it myself.

Has anyone ever ordered from builddirect in Vancouver? the prices seem very good. Not sure about quality and what happens if some are messed up. I just noticed that the prices were about 1/3 the prices of end of the roll.