PDA

View Full Version : Best double din head unit ?

Markll7
08-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Budget is around 1500

97luder
08-06-2012, 07:01 PM
been really with 2 alpine units i had, also have a pioneer that had a removable gps so you can walk around with it, only down side is no dvd with that one but hey i dont get in my car to watch movies lol

TE4MFaint
08-06-2012, 07:48 PM
What other features are you looking for?
GPS/Bluetooth/Sirius compatibility/Bluetooth streaming/app streaming?

$1500 budget is huge. You can basically get the high end anything from any company.

INAW910 from Alpine.
AVICZ140BT from Pioneer.
DNX7190HD from Kenwood.

All great units, but it all depends on what specifically you're wanting.
Best thing to do is go into a local shop and play around with them and find out what interface you enjoy the best.

Markll7
08-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Something that can play HD MP4 videos from an iPod or iPhone and a good upgradeable Navigation. Perhaps a rear view camera ? This is my first time getting one for the car so I'm quite green to it.

dutchschultz
09-19-2012, 01:40 PM
if youre going to upgrade your audio get one with features like
time alignment and cross overs
you'll want 3 sets of preouts with atleast 4 volts to them
also maybe an android deck those look cool if they ever come out.

projekz
09-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
DNX7190HD from Kenwood.

This! I've had mine for a month now and love it.

haggis88
09-19-2012, 04:37 PM
also looking for a double DIN headunit

best place in/around Calgary to purchase?

dutchschultz
09-19-2012, 04:57 PM
onlinecarstereo.com

locally i dont know

haggis88
09-21-2012, 05:09 PM
notice that BestBuy seem to have a couple of deals on car audio at the moment

are they likely to sell the adapter required to change the wiring to fit the head-unit too? couldn't see it on their website!

projekz
09-21-2012, 09:52 PM
They have the most common stuff in stock. Places like ARA and AutoTemp are also likely to have what you're looking for as far as connectors go.

JZS_147
09-24-2012, 09:25 AM
I like the Pioneer headunits the best. Out of all the main brands (alpine, kenwood, pioneer, jvc, etc) I find that they have the best user interface, and you get the best value for your $. The ipod/iphone integration is much better than the other units.

I have a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH in my GS and I couldn't be happier. I didn't need the nav, and bang for the buck is awesome. Also have a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH in my LS, and again I'm very happy with it. The only thing it has over the 4400 is advanced app mode for ipod/iphone.

flipstah
09-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by JZS_147
I like the Pioneer headunits the best. Out of all the main brands (alpine, kenwood, pioneer, jvc, etc) I find that they have the best user interface, and you get the best value for your $. The ipod/iphone integration is much better than the other units.

I have a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH in my GS and I couldn't be happier. I didn't need the nav, and bang for the buck is awesome. Also have a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH in my LS, and again I'm very happy with it. The only thing it has over the 4400 is advanced app mode for ipod/iphone.

:werd:

Alpine user interface is out-dated but the JVC one isn't bad. Pioneer keeps it simple and clean. :thumbsup:

Toma
09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
I bought this ebay one for my truck thinking "meh, as long as it works", and damn, its a nice unit!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Camera-Double-Din-Car-CD-DVD-Player-Radio-RDS-Bluetooth-USB-SD-USB-iPod-/270970049398?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_o_GPS&hash=item3f1712d376

flipstah
09-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Toma
I bought this ebay one for my truck thinking "meh, as long as it works", and damn, its a nice unit!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Camera-Double-Din-Car-CD-DVD-Player-Radio-RDS-Bluetooth-USB-SD-USB-iPod-/270970049398?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_o_GPS&hash=item3f1712d376

... Really? I always saw those China units and laughed. How's it holding up?

haggis88
09-24-2012, 04:46 PM
friend of mine has one of those China things in his Golf R32 back home...it works, but the user interface is pretty wack imo

msommers
09-24-2012, 04:56 PM
What about Eclipse? I remember back in the day they were regarded as excellent audio players.

JZS_147
09-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Yep they were awesome decks, but I'm pretty sure Fujitsu ended production....I could be wrong. No one sells them anymore, and if you look at their website there are 2 models listed.

I would recommend buying something with good support. If you buy a deck and it shits the bed in 2 weeks, you want to make sure you can get a replacement right away.

msommers
09-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Darn that's too bad. Yeah go with a great support base, especially if you're thinking navigation.

Recca168
09-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Have you considered putting a tablet in, instead of a double din unit?

I put a nexus 7 in my car a few weeks ago. Tether it to my phone for streaming audio and for the navi

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-e2H7Ue9qj40/UEWd7dlmEcI/AAAAAAAAAxs/XxEXHr2AfJc/s647/IMG_20120903_160614.jpg

flipstah
09-24-2012, 09:32 PM
I was thinking of doing that too! How did you get it to fit in the dash? Custom plastics?

revelations
10-13-2013, 02:13 PM
BUMP ... looking at a replacement for my existing DD Nav unit (older AVIC)

Budget ~1000$

Considering a tablet OR DD unit that can do the following:

Youtube (for music)
Google maps
Interface to existing audio setup (2 amps, 1 sub, 2 crossovers, 6 speakers)
Phone calls
Text - speech (Email , sms)
Voice commands

codetrap
10-15-2013, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by revelations
BUMP ... looking at a replacement for my existing DD Nav unit (older AVIC)
www.crutchfield.ca

btimbit
10-15-2013, 05:47 PM
How about controlling your phone through the headunit? I have the older version of this, linked to my S3 and can just run any app on my phone, text, email, make calls, anything. If I'm stuck in gridlocked traffic, I could watch netflix.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/pioneer-pioneer-7-appradio-3-in-dash-double-din-car-deck-sph-da110-sph-da110/10252919.aspx?path=57c7b8215add356a602b6d581726b60fen02

Combined with

For IPhone:
http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/34188-appradio-extensions-20-beta-full-iphone-control/

For Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kyle.arliberator&hl=en

revelations
10-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
How about controlling your phone through the headunit? I have the older version of this, linked to my S3 and can just run any app on my phone, text, email, make calls, anything. If I'm stuck in gridlocked traffic, I could watch netflix.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/pioneer-pioneer-7-appradio-3-in-dash-double-din-car-deck-sph-da110-sph-da110/10252919.aspx?path=57c7b8215add356a602b6d581726b60fen02

Combined with

For IPhone:
http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/34188-appradio-extensions-20-beta-full-iphone-control/

For Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kyle.arliberator&hl=en

You know what? Thats almost perfect, all I need is wifi/data connection to the internet and YT app to play music and google maps. This saves me from getting a new account for data only.

Great solution - I was almost convinced that the tablet/DD was the only way to go to get connected to the net.

RickDaTuner
10-15-2013, 10:26 PM
I have an appradio 3 unit, and absolutely hate it, I should have bit the bullet and bought the AVIC-

Appradio has no input for anything but your iPhone/Andriod no Bluetooth audio, no cd, no aux.
The apps available for it are limited and super clunky,
The audio flexibility such as the eq and such are really limited as well.

If you want I'll sell you me for a good price, heck I'll even install it for you if you like.

btimbit
10-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
I have an appradio 3 unit, and absolutely hate it, I should have bit the bullet and bought the AVIC-

Appradio has no input for anything but your iPhone/Andriod no Bluetooth audio, no cd, no aux.

If you want I'll sell you me for a good price, heck I'll even install it for you if you like.

The unit alone isn't that great, the stock apps are garbage and the appradio 2 like I have doesn't even have cd/dvd support. Only input is really your phone, and the radio. But with your phone you can essentially do anything.

Stock, it isn't anything special. Only a couple of pay apps and pioneer apps are compatible, and they're garbage apps anyway. But if you use it with one of the apps I posted it becomes something completely different. Think of it like how you used to jailbreak older ipods, you essentially open it up to do whatever you want. I can't comment on the iphone version but with my S3 it's essentially an extension of my phone, I can do anything on it. There's an extension slot for a rear view camera I believe as well.

Be forewarned though, setting it up can be finicky, I had to go through a few different cables to find one that worked properly. If anyone here has one though, I can help with the set up. There's also a great support forum where people have posted the successful set ups and cables they have. I also have a separate hard wired power connection to charge my phone while it's plugged in.

Long story short, for less than $350 and an afternoon of minor headaches, I have all the functionality of a $1000+ headunit.

amear
10-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

How much? :D

btimbit
10-18-2013, 01:49 PM
I was going to make a video demonstrating it for you guys, but my only camera right now IS my phone... so that wouldn't work.