PDA

View Full Version : Article: Whey protein, Powerade and energy drinks: Alberta researchers debunk fitness

D'z Nutz
08-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Came across this and thought some of you may find it interesting.

Whey protein, Powerade and energy drinks: Alberta researchers debunk fitness myths

Medical students hope study “raises doubt about a massive industry”

By Chris Zdeb, Edmonton Journal August 6, 2012

EDMONTON - No one has died from dehydration while exercising. On the other hand, 16 people have died from over-hydration while working out. Yet sports companies tell us you need to drink before you feel thirsty when you exercise.

Don’t believe it, says Peter Gill, a University of Alberta medical student and a Rhodes Scholar completing his PhD in primary care at the University of Oxford in the U.K.

Gill was part of a team of Oxford researchers with the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine, who looked into the evidence — 550 studies — behind some sports products that promise enhanced athletic performance or improved muscle recovery.

What they found is that athletes and consumers spend millions of dollars annually on myths, products that don’t work, and that could actually do harm.

The study was requested by the British Medical Journal and the BBC and timed to coincide with the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, sponsored in part by some of the companies behind these products.

Gill, 26, specifically looked at whether consuming whey protein powder and carbohydrates after exercise helps improve performance recovery.

“Whey is an expensive protein,” he said in a phone interview from Oxford, “but it doesn’t really do anything different for the average person, than having a well balanced meal.

“For the elite bodybuilder, it’s a different story, but for the average person who goes to the gym a few times a week, having a protein shake is not going to make a big difference whether you get stronger or not.”

It’s something Gill discovered for himself when he was a competitive elite athlete. Substituting cottage cheese or a glass of milk after lifting weights was just as good as using protein powder and a lot cheaper.

As for sports drinks, for the average person, having a Powerade after exercising, basically neutralizes their workout because of the calories and sugar content comparable to a soft drink, Gill explains.

This is of particular concern to the future pediatrician, because even though a review of existing research found no studies involving children, they represent a huge market, targeted by sports drinks endorsed by elite athletes.

“If your hero is (Manchester United footballer) Wayne Rooney and he’s drinking Powerade, you’ll do whatever Wayne Rooney does to be like him,” observes Gill, who played competitive soccer in Canada on a provincial and national level.

He has the same concern about energy drinks like Red Bull.

Another member of the team, Braden O’Neill, a medical student at the University of Calgary who is also completing his PhD at Oxford, looked at whether energy drinks increase performance. He found any caffeine gives you a boost, which is why many people start the day with coffee, but it won’t “give you wings.”

“There is a real risk of harm in these, especially for adolescents, because the caffeine doses are very high and they’re really untested in children,” Gill says. “There have been several studies cautioning side effects which are quite concerning.”

He hopes the study “raises doubt about a massive industry” and makes not only the public, but health care professionals and sports trainers, aware of the power of the pitch, which can turn something like hydration into a disease, create a product for it, and then demand for that product.

Many claims have no scientific truth behind them, and those that do, the calibre of the research is very, very low, using small sample sizes and not acknowledging any harm, Gill says.

Don’t believe the advertising, he advises. Read product labels, and think before consuming something like a sports drink that contains 200 calories and 50 grams of sugar.

Like when you think about drinking before you’re thirsty: “your body has worked for millions of years using thirst,” Gill notes. If anything you perform better when you don’t drink before heading out for a run or a bike ride because you’re not adding a kilo of water to your weight.

“There’s no animal we would make drink water when they’re not thirsty. Why would we think we need to drink when we’re not thirsty?”

[email protected]
© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Alberta+researchers+debunk+fitness+myths/7045366/story.html#ixzz22owztQy7

msommers
08-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Gatorade has an interesting history and has changed significantly when it was originally used with The Gators football team in Florida. The stuff they have now is totally full of sugar to increase taste because the original stuff was highly cut with water and was similar to a watered-down juice (in terms of taste).

Whey protein is a great alternative for the lactose intolerant and also for a meal additive/replacement that doesn't require refrigerating. The reliance on these has become overwhelming, like people have 3+ shakes a day just seems silly. From my limited knowledge of the fitness forum world, I think the adage of food over supps is becoming more popular. Some of these whey proteins also have a lot of sugar in them to again, combat the terrible taste that plain ol' whey has.

Energy drinks. I'm still convinced these are straight up poison even if I don't have the numbers to prove it. Personal choice really. It's right up there with sugar substitutes, just doesn't sit well with me.

The comment about drinking before you're thirsty is interesting and to be honest, seems completely intuitive. Random numbers I've heard is that you're down ~1L of where you should be when you become thirsty. Maybe this has been a wive's tale that no one really looked into?

I'll try to track the original published article if I can as sometimes the media totally swings things to be more "exciting" than the results actually are. Either way, interesting read and thanks for sharing, D.

max_boost
08-06-2012, 08:54 PM
I drink the G2 20 calories Gatorade and even with that I cut it with water haha

Whey protein I don't like the taste so I'll just eat real food.

Energy drinks, not a fan of although I do like a vodka redbull. If I need a kick I'll just pop a 200mg caffeine pill. $15 for a bottle of 100pills. Works instantly but I do this maybe 1-2x a week because I don't want to be dependent on it. If I get enough sleep I won't need it.

Cos
08-06-2012, 09:47 PM

flipstah
08-06-2012, 09:51 PM
I'll stick to eating well! It's cheaper, indeed! :D

scboss
08-06-2012, 10:00 PM
The key word in this article is "Average person" when it comes to protein. The average person does not lift heavy or push themselves hard. After my workouts I eat and have a shake.

Energy drinks - I use to drink them alot but now id rather just have a coffee

Gatorade - I find it makes a difference. I usually drink this pre-workout and down it with 2l of water.

Nothing beats real food true.
I eat 7 times a day and do not feel recovered from my training without taking

Protein
BCAA

dandia89
08-06-2012, 10:14 PM
i recently got off energy drinks, i didn't really notice a huge difference after i stopped drinking them. taste so god damn delicious, but not worth it.

Darkane
08-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Lol.

This guy is trying to be serious too isn't he?

Soooo much misinformation in that "article" sigh.

rizfarmer
08-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Darkane
Lol.

take it with a grain of salt. there are a thousand articles, essays and positions against this 'article' that could be offerred as an argument

GTS4tw
08-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Darkane
Lol.

Its sad that most people will see his credentials and think that he must know what he is talking about. The last few lines made me literally facepalm.

BigMass
08-07-2012, 08:07 AM
These articles are usually filled with straw man arguments. “Whey protein won’t turn you into Ronnie Coleman, Gatorade won’t give you superhuman energy, Kinesiology Tape won’t fix a broken bone and double your muscle strength, ergo, none of these products “work”. My car also doesn’t allow me to fly to Mars, does that mean it doesn’t work? If you use these products properly they do what they’re supposed to do end of story. They’re not magic beans that will turn your life around.

sputnik
08-07-2012, 08:08 AM
yNGWn-aWn5g

Disoblige
08-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Like when you think about drinking before you’re thirsty: “your body has worked for millions of years using thirst,” Gill notes. If anything you perform better when you don’t drink before heading out for a run or a bike ride because you’re not adding a kilo of water to your weight.

“There’s no animal we would make drink water when they’re not thirsty. Why would we think we need to drink when we’re not thirsty?”

WHOOSH, credibility out the window. If he had any in the first place. What a joke.