PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey: Cardboard theft.

ZenOps
08-07-2012, 09:50 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/staten_island_men_accused_jersey_S8JaKP6mfdo9kalp6RN0JI

"Two men in New Jersey are accused of netting more than $100,000 by stealing crushed boxes from Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores and selling them to recyclers.

The New Jersey State Police says the boxes were supposed to be picked up by contracted recycling services. But officials say the men instead had approximately 900 tons of cardboard transported to recycling facilities in New York and New Jersey since May."

Uh huh, true story not onion material.

ExtraSlow
08-07-2012, 10:03 PM
those fuckers moved nine hundred tons?
I'm impressed with their dedication.

Kijho
08-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Made $100,000 just by packing cardboard and bringing it to recycling depots? That's pretty crazy!!

I ALWAYS see people picking through garbage cans outside the Tim Hortons in Coventry or the Superstore / Hamptons area up in Country Hills etc.

I've always figured they must make a damn fortune off it, enough to only have to go out for a "walk" and pick up thrown away cans and make a trip a month down to the depot. Probably own their home, and the money pays for all their expenses.

Ballers haha! :zzz: :dunno:

HomespunLobster
08-08-2012, 12:35 AM
?But over what sort of time frame?

K3RMiTdot
08-08-2012, 03:21 AM
impressive...

jaysas_63
08-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
?But over what sort of time frame?

Originally posted by ZenOps

900 tons of cardboard transported to recycling facilities in New York and New Jersey since May

RY213
08-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Kijho
Made $100,000 just by packing cardboard and bringing it to recycling depots? That's pretty crazy!!

I ALWAYS see people picking through garbage cans outside the Tim Hortons in Coventry or the Superstore / Hamptons area up in Country Hills etc.

I've always figured they must make a damn fortune off it, enough to only have to go out for a "walk" and pick up thrown away cans and make a trip a month down to the depot. Probably own their home, and the money pays for all their expenses.

Ballers haha! :zzz: :dunno:

They probably stole entire bales of crushed cardboard, not individual boxes lol

FraserB
08-08-2012, 07:37 AM
If these are the Home Depot sized bales, then they are about 1.5m x 1.0m x 1.0m, are made using a hydraulic compactor and HEAVY. We used the forklifts to move them around.

Masked Bandit
08-08-2012, 08:09 AM
I wonder what it would have cost these guys to move that much weight. For $100,000 revenue did they actually make any money? Years ago a store I worked at just tossed all the cardboard. I asked permission to collect & and return it at my own expense. The company said "sure, go ahead". I spent three weeks, collected my first truck load and took it back. It wasn't even worth the gas.

clem24
08-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Sounds pretty smart to me. These were probably in the big bins. Buy an old garbage truck (quick search on Kijiji says they start at $15k) and make $$$. Who would even suspect them if they pulled up in a garbage truck to pick everything up? Brilliant!

Kloubek
08-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
If these are the Home Depot sized bales, then they are about 1.5m x 1.0m x 1.0m, are made using a hydraulic compactor and HEAVY. We used the forklifts to move them around.

+1. Years ago I used to work in the Zellers stockroom where we had one of these bale makers. It was ridiculous how many boxes ended up in one bale and how heavy it ended up being.

I didn't realize they were actually worth something though...