PDA

View Full Version : Mexico in October...

eblend
08-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey guys,

My inlaws are coming down from Japan in October and my wife and I were thinking of taking them down to Mexico for a week. They are here late October, however that is still huricane season from what I gather. I want to go to Cancun area due to the Mayan Temples nearby, so definatelly that side of Mexico. Anyone know what options I have in terms of booking something now with the ability to cancel or change should there be a huricane at that time? Much appreciate any help.

roopi
08-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Just purchase the trip/vacation insurance when purchasing a package. Read all the fine print to make sure it covers what you need. There are different types so you need to be careful however there is an insurance for this exact requirement.

Cos
08-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Mitsu3000gt
08-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I think cancellation insurance is your only real option for full refund.

Also, I hear stabbings are still free down there - year round, too.

jdmakkord
08-08-2012, 10:32 PM
I was just there 2 weeks ago, be prepared for the heat! it was 46 degrees with the humidity most of the week. Cancellation insurance will only cover you if a travel advisory has been issued by the government, or if your airline cancels their flights due to the weather.

eblend
08-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

And for the stabbing thing, I have been to far worse places in my life, just have to know your environment and adjust.

adam c
08-09-2012, 11:30 AM
another canadian killed there
http://news.ca.msn.com/canadians-killed-in-mexico#image=2

2.2vtec
08-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Just don't be gay down there and your fine.

eblend
09-16-2012, 11:20 PM
So the time to look is coming up. Going to go despite a possible hurricane situation, but whatever.

Any recommendations for a good hotel around Cancun, Playa del Carmen or Riviera Maya?

We stated at Live Aqua in Cancun last time we were there and really enjoyed it. A hotel that has the following is preferred:
-No reservation required for ale carte restaurants (live aqua had this)
-adult only preferred
-free in room food service (again, live aqua had this)

There is 4 people going. I know some hotels have side by side rooms with a door to open between suites. A hotel that has this would also be great.

Any other recommendations are welcome. Going to book something here within the next week.

georgemagana
09-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Dont stay in either the Oasis or Grand Oasis Cancun! Worse experience of my life. After fighting for 2 days they moved us to the Oasis Palm which is their 5 star hotel and wow what a difference! I would go back to that one for sure. The Grand Riviera Princes in Mayan Riviera is really nice too.

Cos
09-17-2012, 06:16 AM

flipstah
09-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Iberostar is consistently up top in TripAdvisor so I'd be leaning towards that too.

We stayed at Grand Sirenis in the Mayan and the beach was clean. Food was meh but they had a lot of chipotle to compensate. :drool:

Just don't go to those timeshare seminars... FML. :banghead:

eblend
09-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys. Looked around and ended up booking at Gran Bahia Principe Akumal in Riviera Maya. It is made up for 3 separate resorts all under the Gran Bahia name and my parents have been to 1 of those resorts, are going to another one in December, and I am going to the 3rd on in October. The deciding factor for me was my parent's recommendation, a golf course across the street for my father inlaw, and just a general huge area to explore, so shoudln't get bored. Have access to all 3 resorts for everything, including all the bars, food and pools. Can't wait.

Gran Bahia Principe Akumal - Mexico
http://www.bahia-principe.com/cs/groups/public/documents/bp_multimedia/001055.jpg

codetrap
09-19-2012, 09:23 AM
eblend.. let me know how it is with an eye towards me taking my family and 4 year old with us.

Paul
09-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Stayed at this resort twice in the last two years, it's absolutely huge! You'll have fun there, and you picked the best of the 3 resorts IMO.

Have fun!