PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Needed: Used 2002 Olds Aurora

sleekay5
08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi everyone.

New to the forum!

I have a 2002 Oldsmobile Aurora that I need to sell. I'm wondering if I can get some of your expertise in determining how much I can potentially get for it.

Details:
• V6, 3.5 Litre, Kilometers: 100,000 (62,137 miles), has new rubber, colour: white

Here are my problems with it:
• Car just turns off while I'm driving it. The fix will cost me $700, and I'm not interested, as I have already poured too much into this car.
• Some lights on the car do not turn off (seatbelt, oil, battery). Diagnosis from GM: car is fine, but computer board needs fixing - cost is around $2,000.
• Driver's seat no longer "heats up"
• Air conditioning does not work well

Any insight/knowledge you can help me with would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
sleekay

Masked Bandit
08-08-2012, 07:18 PM
$500, of you're lucky.

corsvette
08-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Take it to the auction. As long as it drives through the ring on its own power it will get at least $1,000-2,000. Some auctions allow you to place a reserve on the car meaning they wont sell below the asking price you gave them.

Graham_A_M
08-08-2012, 08:05 PM
$1000-1500 or so. Oldsmobile's aren't worth much, mainly for the problems you've listed.
They were kind of GM's guinea pig. They made a LOT of very stupid decisions with Olds that they tried out before releasing them to the general GM brand. Most Old's are insanely problematic with unworldly expensive repair bills

(My co-worker had to pay $1400 for the front brake job on his Olds Silhouette mini-van, and yes Im dead serious, specialty [sensor] brake rotors & pads, thats it). So its not the least bit surprising nobody wants to touch Olds at all, and why GM decided to cut that brand.

As much as I love GM, I'd never touch an Olds, ever. :banghead:

You may want to consider parting it out, considering you have the new tires on it. You should be able to get $500 for the rim & tire package alone, then quite a bit more then that for everything else considering its low KM's. They have wicked engines, but thats seriously it, and mainly because they've borrowed GM engines for a good while. Everything else on them is pretty much shit.
Thats IF you have the time to, otherwise take what you can get. Check ebay for a good idea of what people are bidding on such a car, then go from there. But keep in mind all the problems you have with yours, that'll kill the re-sale in comparison to a car with nothing wrong with it.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
$1000-1500 or so. Oldsmobile's aren't worth much, mainly for the problems you've listed.
They were kind of GM's guinea pig. They made a LOT of very stupid decisions with Olds that they tried out before releasing them to the general GM brand. Most Old's are insanely problematic with unworldly expensive repair bills

(My co-worker had to pay $1400 for the front brake job on his Olds Silhouette mini-van, and yes Im dead serious, speciality brake rotors & pads, thats it). So its not the least bit surprising nobody wants to touch Olds at all, and why GM decided to cut that brand.

As much as I love GM, I'd never touch an Olds, ever. :banghead:

Sounds like your co-worker got milked, OE GM pads for a Silhouette are around $200 for a set front and rear and Rotors are around $125 a piece, and thats for OE stuff.

Graham_A_M
08-08-2012, 08:14 PM
^ He was charged $350 each for the rotors, $250 for the pads. That was at Southgate. Which is reason number 423 of why I tell people to avoid that place.

He wasn't mechanically inclined so I didn't press it further but....
yeah man. Both my buddy and I were blown away by that.
We've owned a '92 Bonneville when I was a kid, and as nice as a car as it was, wow that thing was expensive to own. :rolleyes:

Nice cars when their new, but sell them before their past warranty. Kind of like BMW.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ He was charged $350 each for the rotors, $250 for the pads. That was at Southgate. Which is reason number 423 of why I tell people to avoid that place.

He wasn't mechanically inclined so I didn't press it further but....
yeah man. Both my buddy and I were blown away by that.
We've owned a '92 Bonneville when I was a kid, and as nice as a car as it was, wow that thing was expensive to own. :rolleyes:

Nice cars when their new, but sell them before their past warranty. Kind of like BMW.

That sucks. I'm going to price it out tomorrow at work and see what we would charge with OE stuff.

sleekay5
08-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone.

Thanks for the advice and responses.

corsvette wrote:

Take it to the auction. As long as it drives through the ring on its own power it will get at least $1,000-2,000. Some auctions allow you to place a reserve on the car meaning they wont sell below the asking price you gave them.

Does anyone think this is a good option for selling my car?

Thanks again,
sleekay

ddduke
08-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by sleekay5
Hi everyone.

Thanks for the advice and responses.

corsvette wrote:

Does anyone think this is a good option for selling my car?

Thanks again,
sleekay

Yup, every time that I have a vehicle that I need to sell that I'm not willing to sell privately due to mechanical issues I'll send it to Grahams auction for the monthly no reserve day. On that day it's so full of hillbillies and brown guys trying to get a deal that you'll get a decent bid for sure.

In june I ran a POS work truck through, while waiting to see it come up I looked at an mdx. This mdx had over 350k km on it, every dash light was on, it barely started, seats were torn, it had so many scratches on it that it actually looked like someone took sand paper to every single panel and there was a huge hole in the centre of the "nav" screen. That mdx fetched $5600, I was absolutely amazed cause the thing was worthless.

Vr4Whore
08-10-2012, 10:46 AM
$2000 for an ECU ? You should try replacing the ECU yourself, it's super easy and should be nowhere near $2000 (ex. 3000gt ecu = $300) unless they are just expensive for this specific car?

HO2S
08-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Vr4Whore
$2000 for an ECU ? You should try replacing the ECU yourself, it's super easy and should be nowhere near $2000 (ex. 3000gt ecu = $300) unless they are just expensive for this specific car?
Unless you can flash pcm's your not replacing it your self. Even junk yard ones will have to be flashed.
Its expensive because it's a obsolete part.