PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty Mechanic

VVV JDM VVV
08-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Hey fellas,

I am currently an instrumentation apprentice but am looking for a change into something im more passionate about (anything with a motor, especially diesel). I have a clean class 1 license and basic heavy truck and trailer experience. Very mechanically inclined. Anyone know of shops in Red Deer that are willing to take on a 1st year to start up an apprenticeship ? ALso whats the best area to get into ? heavy equipment ? truck and trailer ? compressor motors ? If anyone has any leads I could forward a copy of my resume to that would be much appreciated !

Thanks a lot !

HO2S
08-08-2012, 07:51 PM
This is Alberta, You have a class one licenses and want to get into heavy duty. You will have a job in a matter of hours.

VVV JDM VVV
08-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Wish it was that easy. Seams most places are not taking on 1st years right now ?

dirtsniffer
08-10-2012, 07:18 AM
I'd think that you would need to start as a labourer and earn your apprenticeship after proving you fit well with the company.

HO2S
08-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Exactly what dirtsniffer said, get a job as the shop bitch but tell them you want to be apprenticed in the interview.
Heavy duty techs are in huge demand in alberta. If you prove your self and are motivated you wont have a problem at all.

VVV JDM VVV
08-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Just drop off resumes at all shops or what ? Because I have responded to all the HD mechanic posting on kijiji and the paper and not one call. Even with a class 1.

HO2S
08-12-2012, 12:19 PM
You have to be patient, it can take up to a month to get a call back. Or the problem is you, there might be something on your resume that employers don't like.

theken
08-12-2012, 12:52 PM
try some of the frac outfits, try cat or kenworth all in edgar industrial. cat seems to always be hiring

VVV JDM VVV
08-13-2012, 05:26 AM
Unfortunately finning (CAT) has a hiring freeze for a few months, that was the number one place I wanted to work to but at this point I will take whatever I can get just to get started. Tried Trican as well. Used to work for schlumberger and canyon tech, maybe ill go back and try there.

mugensix
08-20-2012, 06:17 PM
SLB is hiring IIRC

VVV JDM VVV
09-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the input. I thought it would be a breeze to get started as a HD mechanic in Red Deer, especially holding a class 1 license. Not a lot of places are taking on first years right now so ill finish up where im at and try again when im back from SE Asia :dunno: