PDA

View Full Version : Automotive club @ UofC?

Chim
02-08-2004, 03:08 PM
It'd be pretty sweet to start a Beyond car club at the UofC. Esp if we can get a sponsorship from a tuning shop for cheaper parts (the snowboard club gets a 5-10% discount from mission)

Discuss

Weapon_R
02-08-2004, 03:09 PM
I don't think it'll fly. Liabilities won't allow it.

That.Guy.S30
02-08-2004, 05:11 PM
haah yea i agree with weapon_r..
although i do see alot of beyond.ca cars at the u of c.

rage2
02-08-2004, 05:48 PM
I swear there used to be a U of C car club...

MM99lude
02-08-2004, 09:50 PM
We could talk to the su and see what they say... you never know it could go through!:D

Chim
02-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Liabilities...such as? (dumb question I know)

thich
02-09-2004, 12:52 AM
do a search on this topic, i already explained everything.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21672

but weapon_r has it down... too many liabilities.

Chim
02-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Ok based on the replies in that post

unless you're making a club for mechanics or tuning-type activities...

So we can start the "UofC BEYOND CAR TUNING DISCUSSION CLUB"

and then...

it is incredibly hard for them to boot a club unless they can prove the club does some sort of illegal activity.

That is when we start arranging meets at race city.

Gotta know how to work the system :)

thich
02-10-2004, 05:28 PM
gotta know how to GET IN first :rolleyes:

the best thing to do is just have an unofficial club not sanctioned by the SU; it's easier that way.

donz
02-10-2004, 10:36 PM
um... a sanctioned club has it's benifts, like SU funding...

thich
02-11-2004, 12:02 AM
true, but you will also be governed under it's rules too:
all events outside of university will have to be insured, no insurance approval = no event...

and the SU funding this year blows goats... my club applied for pop funding on several occasions and they never got back to us, same deal with the HKSA...

if it were me, I would rather have an unsanctioned car club that we could do whatever we wanted, (as long as it was legal), and not have SU breathing it's rules and regulations down our butts.

sandman
02-11-2004, 11:44 AM
:werd:

rice_eater
02-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Chim
So we can start the "UofC BEYOND CAR TUNING DISCUSSION CLUB&

Have any of you thought about actually doing the tunning there? Like get the U of C to help pay for some garages and people actually work on cars? Say members drive up with stuff they want to do to their cars but instead of you doing it for them they have to work with you on the work so they learn. Then they have to come volunteer however much time every week/month so the whole thing gets going...see i think if we aproached the U with a real idea and are actually able to get enough donations to put up part of the money to build the facilities then they'll never aprove anything coz they'll see righ through the bullshit...discussion club :rofl: That's what i think! I also think it's time to lay off the reefer :drool:

rice_eater
02-11-2004, 12:17 PM
think about the interest it would generate from companies to actually sponsor something like this! WOW! they are actually doing what their supposed to and LOOK it's such a good learning tool :nut: MY IDEAS ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK!!!!

Chim
02-11-2004, 11:27 PM
That would be sweet as hell, rice eater, but why would the SU pay like $70/month just for one garage??? And by the results of this forum, 1 garage wont be enough to cover the entire club. If one guy messes up a tranny swap that was supposed to take 1 day, then the garage might be out of service for a week while the guy fixes his mistakes.

Thats why I'm saying if we just get a sponsorship from a shop and pay them to do tuning, or have them rent a garage to us while mechanics give verbal advice on our operations.

Maybe we'll just call it the "U of C Beyond Properties of Metals Club" and turn it into a mechanic club. Kinda like how nobody in the ski club really skiis...... :thumbsup:

But having a
have an unsanctioned car club that we could do whatever we wanted might work too.

thich
02-11-2004, 11:40 PM
just make sure you don't do a lot of stuff in and around the U...

if it was unsanctioned, just meet up at the U and go off to somewhere else... my best suggestion.

and if you just made ur own car club, u could talk to some shop urself and if you have a large enough membership, then it shouldn't be a problem whether or not you are a bunch of university students or not.

PLUS you are prolly missing out on something big too:
not everyone on this board who is in post-secondary goes to U... why not include SAIT (down the road) and MRC too? If it's just a normal any-old car club, then why not just include as many peepz as possible?

rage2
02-12-2004, 12:28 AM
Or why not just chat on beyond and hold U of C meets once in a while? The only reason to join the SU is to get funding, and from the looks of it, it's either not gonna happen, or it won't be enough of a return.

There were a few unofficial U of C meets last year.

MerfBall
02-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I swear there used to be a U of C car club...

There did used to be a U of C car club, back in the day of Speedzone/Nexus... but it was an autosound club... If you want to get sanctioning than revive that club, there used to be BBQs held out by old mac hall by the rock with a bunch of cars parked in front blasting music.

rage2
02-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by MerfBall
There did used to be a U of C car club, back in the day of Speedzone/Nexus...
lol, that's really oldschool haha.

BTW - I still have a Nexus Racing sticker on my 944 :thumbsup:.

Hakkola
02-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Lots of god ideas, it would be sweet to get a little bit of funding :thumbsup:

thich
02-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Or why not just chat on beyond and hold U of C meets once in a while? The only reason to join the SU is to get funding, and from the looks of it, it's either not gonna happen, or it won't be enough of a return.

There were a few unofficial U of C meets last year.

this is what i'm advocating right here.

rage2
02-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by thich
this is what i'm advocating right here.
yea, from what I'm reading, the work vs results ratio is horrible, almost a waste of time, seeing the huge amounts of hoops you have to jump through to have an official U of C club.

But hey, I guess some people have a LOT of free time :).

MerfBall
02-12-2004, 01:05 PM

and if you just made ur own car club, u could talk to some shop urself and if you have a large enough membership, then it shouldn't be a problem whether or not you are a bunch of university students or not.

PLUS you are prolly missing out on something big too:
not everyone on this board who is in post-secondary goes to U... why not include SAIT (down the road) and MRC too? If it's just a normal any-old car club, then why not just include as many peepz as possible?

Isn't this essentially what Beyond is?

yea, from what I'm reading, the work vs results ratio is horrible, almost a waste of time, seeing the huge amounts of hoops you have to jump through to have an official U of C club.

But hey, I guess some people have a LOT of free time :).

There's a very good reason why there isn't an auto club at the U anymore.

What I don't get is why start a club at U of C? I've seen the rationale of discounted parts from tuners, which I'm pretty sure members of Beyond get from the sponsors. There is a meet every week (well it is 403Honda, but lately there hasn't been many hondas out there) and I'm sure other members hold meets all the time. Really all the benefits of starting a club has already been realized on Beyond. ;)

Originally posted by Hakkola
Lots of god ideas, it would be sweet to get a little bit of funding :thumbsup:

It's funny how so many people will oppose the bus pass fees at U of C but will not ever question the amount of money in fees that they pay for Student's Union. Where do you guys think the funding for Student's Union comes from?

Hakkola
02-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Hahaha, I never said anything against the U-PASS. :D

It's also true that most of us get discounted parts as well, I just wanna be part of a school club... :( ... ;)

Chim
02-12-2004, 10:05 PM
The more members...the more chance of getting discounts from various shops. SU will be basically free advertisement for the club, rather than have it be an underground thing and word of mouth.

But the idea seems to be dying out anyways so....

thich
02-12-2004, 11:36 PM
just go hang with the beyond peepz.
and there's the 403 meets during spring/summer too

BebeAphrodite
02-19-2004, 12:59 PM
For the sake of not reviving an old thread, I'm going to comment on something that bothered me when I read it, in this thread. The following quote was obtained from this link: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread....;threadid=21672

Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
yo i go to uof c in the fall. ill join your crew if there are hot chiks with cars

The first thing that came to my head was 'pig'. Sure shows the essence of a car club if the members are in it for the 'hot chicks'. And another thing, Alberta has nearly no industry for import modelling as a lot of the models aren't willing to run around wearing next to nothing to show off cars.

If the retort to this is the "Miss Beyond" under my name then I should mention now that it's just a joke.

MerfBall
02-19-2004, 01:54 PM
just go hang with the beyond peepz.
and there's the 403 meets during spring/summer too

Actually 403 meets happen year round.

Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
For the sake of not reviving an old thread, I'm going to comment on something that bothered me when I read it, in this thread. The following quote was obtained from this link: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread....;threadid=21672

The first thing that came to my head was 'pig'. Sure shows the essence of a car club if the members are in it for the 'hot chicks'. And another thing, Alberta has nearly no industry for import modelling as a lot of the models aren't willing to run around wearing next to nothing to show off cars.

If the retort to this is the "Miss Beyond" under my name then I should mention now that it's just a joke.

Actually you already did revive the thread just by posting a link to it. Anyways, what in the world does this have to do with the discussion in this thread??? One person speaks therefore it must be true?

BebeAphrodite
02-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by MerfBall

Actually 403 meets happen year round.

Actually you already did revive the thread just by posting a link to it. Anyways, what in the world does this have to do with the discussion in this thread??? One person speaks therefore it must be true?

The link that I posted was copied from one of the previous posts... What I meant by not reviving an old thread was posting in the old thread so it gets bumped to the top. I guess you didn't read the threads. The discussion was about an automotives club and there had been a previous thread. Another member had posted the previous thread and I clicked on the link to the old thread and was really bothered by the quote that had been posted. What do you mean one person speaks therefore it must be true?
I was just commenting on what ThiThi Subs was saying....

MerfBall
02-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

The link that I posted was copied from one of the previous posts... What I meant by not reviving an old thread was posting in the old thread so it gets bumped to the top. I guess you didn't read the threads. The discussion was about an automotives club and there had been a previous thread. Another member had posted the previous thread and I clicked on the link to the old thread and was really bothered by the quote that had been posted. What do you mean one person speaks therefore it must be true?
I was just commenting on what ThiThi Subs was saying....

My bad bout the thread.

And I'm refering to this

Sure shows the essence of a car club if the members are in it for the 'hot chicks'. And another thing, Alberta has nearly no industry for import modelling as a lot of the models aren't willing to run around wearing next to nothing to show off cars.

So one guy says something bout hot chicks and all of a sudden that decides the essence of a car club? Again I didn't read that old thread so maybe I'm completely out to lunch.

BebeAphrodite
02-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Once again, that comment that I had made about the essence of the club was based on what ThiThi had said. That's why the comment had offended me in the first place. If all the people in the club had joined for that sole purpose than that's what the essence of it would have been. But I guess I hadn't written that correctly.
Obviously not everyone would join for that purpose...

That.Guy.S30
02-19-2004, 03:38 PM
holy crap i replied to that thread ages ago.. maybe some ppl cant take a joke or i shouldve posted some thing like j/k on the end of that sentence.. haah either way im sorry if i offended you or any other member on this site.. it wasnt supposed to be meant that way

thich
02-19-2004, 10:42 PM
it's also a commonly held stereotype that this is what the car culture is... it happened back in the 50s, still goes on today.
Sad fact.
one of those culturally redundant aspects that ppl can't get rid of from their minds.
When was the last time you heard a bunch of girls joining a car club b/c of "hot guys" lol...
again, just the stereotypes that are played in society.

I dun think Thi Thi Subs needs to apologize when something like this is evidently played out almost worldwide - he was just making game at something that exists.