PDA

View Full Version : Exposed aggregate

jdmgt
08-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Thinking about doing this to the driveway and front steps. Does anyone have this.

What are the pros and cons?Can anyone recommend a good reputable company here in Calgary.

Thanks in advance

ExtraSlow
08-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Some companies use a really glossy sealer that ends up being quite slippery when wet or icy. Be sure to see samples of the work first and discuss this with your contractor.

Slippery steps = injuries.

black_2.5RS
08-10-2012, 07:02 AM
I had this at my old place, rocks started to pop out of the driveway when I shoveled plus I found it really slippery in the winter. Could have been the glossy sealer, could be that snow gets trapped in between the rocks (or both I suppose). Anyways, new house - I made sure I didn't get an aggregate driveway.

CapnCrunch
08-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Some companies use a really glossy sealer that ends up being quite slippery when wet or icy.

I noticed this too. It's dangerous.

beyond_ban
08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
If you are going to get concrete work, get stamped. It is just as durable as broom finished and looks 100x better. As said above, exposed continuously sheds rocks leaving unsightly holes all over your pad.

Lex350
08-10-2012, 08:28 AM
If your concrete was done properly it will not shed rocks. I've had it at two of my places. There are different methods of accomplishing the look. One best way is to have the top coat sand blasted to revel the look you want. I also had this done with my pre-cast steps. I just had the manufacturer change the rock size to match what was going in.

As for sealer. That's hit and miss. Do not but the crap they sell at Rona or Home Depot. Go to a Contract construction supply place. There's one around 31st ave NE but the name escapes me right now. Go for the semi gloss. I agree it is slippery when first applied but after a month or so it's fine.

jdmgt
08-10-2012, 10:59 AM
I definitely want to go the sand blasted route. My first thought was that it would be slippery in the winter and hard to shovel. I wonder if they can put any sand or something like that on the sealer to give more grip when it is wet.

Any recommendations for companies?

JudasJimmy
08-11-2012, 04:12 PM
I had some work done by these guys. They did some good work. Excavating, rebar and drilled into exiting cement, sand blast, pressure washed and then sealed. All the different people did good work and nice to talk to. Never did meet the owner, but he's the one I would talk to via email etc.

http://www.concrete-fx.com/Exposed-Aggregate.page

It did take him a month to do 16x10 driveway. It's definitely not as slippery as stamped concrete, I never had any stones pop out or have trouble shoveling it. I did notice the shoveling seem to be really loud compared to boom finish.

Choice
08-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

As for sealer. That's hit and miss. Do not but the crap they sell at Rona or Home Depot. Go to a Contract construction supply place. There's one around 31st ave NE but the name escapes me right now. Go for the semi gloss. I agree it is slippery when first applied but after a month or so it's fine.

Think it's Northland Construction Supplies. Picked up a 5 GAL pail of sealant for something like $100-120.
http://www.northlandconstruction.com/

Weapon_R
08-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Hascon Contracting. Did great work for me and a bunch of other beyonders.

CanmoreOrLess
08-11-2012, 10:53 PM
I have this on my sidewalk only (on steps, it would be nuts), it gets really slippery in the winter if not tended to. Almost like curling rink ice, all pebble like, I end up having to apply a large amount of deicer to the entire sidewalk as a precaution (went through four plastic buckets last year). After a blanket of snow, the metal shovel makes a very loud noise and never really gets the sidewalk as clean as I would like, a plastic shovel is useless as it bounces around. Every Chinook means I have a real hazard for a sidewalk, as the small amount of snow melts and coats the pebbles.

No rocks have popped out, the sidewalk was built in 1998.

I had one letter from Canada Post saying it was reported as unsafe, I was on vacation at the time, never thought about keeping it clear. In my place if the mail stopped coming, I really doubt I would notice, everything is through the internet these days. I was worried more for the letter carrier than the actual "mail".