PDA

View Full Version : Robert Herjavec crashes his Ferrari 458

UndrgroundRider
08-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Don't think it's a repost?

HIWokrSqo88

Bonus points if you can figure out where he went wrong. I've actually done this exact same thing for the exact same reason, but was luckier than him and just ended up in the grass.

Vagabond142
08-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

Bonus points if you can figure out where he went wrong. I've actually done this exact same thing for the exact same reason, but was luckier than him and just ended up in the grass.

Looks like he saw something on the track and lifted off slightly, causing the car to go nose heavy and snapping a little lift-off oversteer to the right. He corrected, got one tiny tank slapper, and when the grip returned he was spearing off the track... that'd be my guess

mgwatson
08-10-2012, 08:13 AM
He lifted, oversteered and needed to apply more throttle instead of staying lifted. This is what happens when you have a lot of money... you buy a 458 challenge car and buy your way into that circuit without actually knowing what the hell you're doing.

Disoblige
08-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by mgwatson
This is what happens when you have a lot of money... you buy a 458 challenge car and buy your way into that circuit without actually knowing what the hell you're doing.
http://robertherjavec.com/racing.php?page=photos

Modelexis
08-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Look at what way he turns the steering wheel after he begins to lose control.

cloud7
08-10-2012, 09:31 AM
He crashed again? Didn't he crashed earlier in the year and had to borrow someone else's car for the rest of the weekend? or is this the same crash? LOL.

Looks like it's at Sears Point... He tried to make a corner that he wasn't gonna make with his skill level... he should have took to to the grass on the right and cut the corner instead of cranking in more steering trying to make the corner.

It's the Ferrari Challenge series... pretty much everybody buys their way into that series.

flipstah
08-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

http://robertherjavec.com/racing.php?page=photos

:werd:

D'z Nutz
08-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I'd say he's definitely out.

J-hop
08-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Yeah, I'd say he's definitely out.

Hahaha, that made me burst out laughing in my cubicle

RickDaTuner
08-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Looks like he took the Alex of that sweeper wrong and hit the ruts as he entered throwing the car off balance. Then dove into the right hander with an over steering car. And not enough traction to get the front wheels to get enough grip. Then over corrected, the tires bit, and fling him left.

That or he got two punctures on the left side.

xnvy
08-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by cloud7
He crashed again? Didn't he crashed earlier in the year and had to borrow someone else's car for the rest of the weekend? or is this the same crash? It's the same crash I believe. Happened in May at Infineon Raceway. I also would have cut the corner, instead of attempting to take it properly. IMO that right hand sweeper before the hairpin is more dangerous than the corner he crashed on.

D'z Nutz
08-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Hahaha, that made me burst out laughing in my cubicle

Haha what do you expect? The car isn't drivable, it has no hood, and the valuation is way off :rofl:

CanmoreOrLess
08-10-2012, 08:39 PM
That is my definition of wealth, crashing a Ferrari and not having it ruin your day. I'm on tilt if I break a pencil lead.

rage2
08-10-2012, 10:05 PM
That happens every race in the challenge series. Some of the guys bring 2-3 spare cars for crashes. There are some fast drivers in the series tho, but over half of the grid are terrible so it's fun to watch.

This guy looks like he knew what he was doing, looks like he just pushed a little too hard and the bump offline messed everything up.

UndrgroundRider
08-11-2012, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

Looks like he saw something on the track and lifted off slightly, causing the car to go nose heavy and snapping a little lift-off oversteer to the right. He corrected, got one tiny tank slapper, and when the grip returned he was spearing off the track... that'd be my guess

Pretty close. He hit the bump and made the knee-jerk response of lifting off. That caused a little tail rotation and put him way off line. You can actually see him counter steer to try and correct it at 0:38, but at that point he was way too deep and way too hot.

I did the exact same thing at Sebring in turn 1. Was setting a fast lap, pushing it extra hard, and hit a bump. When you're going faster than you've ever gone in a particular corner, you already think you're at the limit of grip. Add a bump into the mix and it's REALLY tough to fight that natural instinct to come off the throttle and slow down. I was super lucky that I was already past the wall when I lost control, otherwise I would've hit the wall pretty flat at about 180. :eek:

Originally posted by rage2
That happens every race in the challenge series. Some of the guys bring 2-3 spare cars for crashes. There are some fast drivers in the series tho, but over half of the grid are terrible so it's fun to watch.

This guy looks like he knew what he was doing, looks like he just pushed a little too hard and the bump offline messed everything up.

Yea, he actually borrowed a car from a friend and placed third in that race.

483hp
08-18-2012, 11:20 PM
If you have driven Infineon you know that turn 1 is a very steep uphill left hander leading to a right hander where the apex of 2 is at the top of that same hill. I've driven that track multiple times and in a 458 Challenge in October last year. 1 spooks me because you are flying after the hairpin down the straight, brush the brakes and you begin the steep climb as you start to turn in. As you are trying to get the car pointed to set up for 2 the steering is very very light. I've never measured it but the bottom of 1 to the top of 2 must be at least 80 ft to give you some idea of how steep this is.

If you look carefully at the video, someone went off and went left to right across the track after the apex of 1 leaving a couple of big tracks of dirt and gravel on the track. That "bump" you hear is the car going over that debris unsettling the car at the same time the steering is the lightest.

For some reason he never got notice about the debris on his radio and didn't slow down to compensate. He just finished a lap that was slightly off the track record and was pushing harder.

Herjavec is a very experienced driver. He is very fast and the Ferrari Challenge isn't his first time racing.