PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick help building sub/amp combo

Skrilla
08-10-2012, 08:37 AM
I decided I want to upgrade the stereo in my suv a bit. I noticed a visions flyer today and decided to check it out. I don't have to much experience picking out a combo. Usually if I ask the sales rep, it seems they pick what they like, or whatever has the largest price tag.

Anyways, is anyone familiar with their brands, and could pick out a good combo of 1-2 subs and a amp. I would prefer 1 sub due to space, but I am not sure about which would be best. I would like to spend around $1500 or less is possible, do not need a deck, or speakers. Just box, sub, amp, wiring.

Any help would be great. If it makes any difference, I listen to mostly dubstep, dance, and stuff along those lines, so I would like something quite loud if possible in that price range. And it does not neccesarily have to be from Visions but in Medicine Hat there is not much varity. Futureshop, Visions and maybe a small private shop.

Tarrantula
08-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Do you already have a head unit that is compatible with RCA pre-outs? or do you plan to wire in rear speakers to use for the amp inputs?

Recommended Subs for the price - Alpine Type R, MTX 7500's

Amps I wouldnt cheap out on - Kijiji a good 500.1 JL or similar. Alpine amp maybe to match?

Skrilla
08-10-2012, 08:49 AM
I would prefer to keep my factory nav system, so yes I would be wiring into rear.

JZS_147
08-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Get 1 Focal 33V1, and get a custom box built, and a half decent amp to power it. The sound out of the 1 quality sub is going to be tighter and cleaner than putting 2 random junk subs from Visions in your car.

I just replaced 4 Alpine Type R's and 2 amps in my buddies van, with 1 Focal 40V1 and 1 amp with a custom enclosure. He couldn't be happier, he has more output, cleaner tighter bass, and less shit in the back of his Van.

TE4MFaint
08-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Skrilla, come into the store. I will take care of you. PM me if you desire.

Graham_A_M
08-10-2012, 04:48 PM
I'd avoid any car audio store in Calgary pretty much. With Visions & Future shop, the stuff they carry is just crap. Rockford, MTX, Kicker is pretty rough stuff these days. WAY back when Kicker had incredible hand built amps, (I still have a 1992 built 500SI which is just a fucking *stellar* amp, 20 years later). But now its all chinese made mass-market crap. In the early to mid 90's, all the mainstream brands you see today made awesome stuff back then, but they found out its easier to have Pyramid re-brand their premium stuff as "PG", or "Rockford" so thats basically what they do.

All the Kicker L series subs are by far the worst subs I've *ever* modeled, and I've been doing car audio for about 17 years now.
Its all just :nut:

Most decent car audio doesn't sell too well so the retailers dont carry it. If you want decent stuff, you have to buy online pretty much, or through smaller reps that carry such brands.

The options are seriously endless, but for instance, you can try one of these, its by Digital Designs. I have a lot of experience with them, and used to compete in SPL competitions with their subs.
http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobile-audio/woofers/2500-series.aspx
Or any other sub they carry.

And one of these amps they have
http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobile-audio/amplifiers/mono-block-amplifiers/cm1000.aspx

Total cost? $800 plus box, so about $1000.

Or this combo. Treo is another awesome company
http://www.treoonline.com/ssp.html

http://www.treoonline.com/ssx_amps.html

Like I say, there is SO much good car audio out there, buying locally is never a good bet.

And yes like the above post, Focal is yet another great company as well.

Or even you can go with one of these. Their very reasonably priced and will shake your fillings out of your teeth, they sound awesome as well.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-404
They come in 10-15". That is one HELLUVA sub for $180

Once you find a sub you like, I have a subwoofer box modeling program on my computer, so I can design the best possible box for any sub. In terms of SPL, sound quality, deep bass or whatever. There are tons of options. Let me know if you decide on a sub and want a specialized box designed for it. These Generic enclosures visions sell really dont work with any subs. Most people dont know the box a sub is in is everybit as important as the actual sub itself.
Kind of like having Ferrari but living on a farm with dirt roads. It may be an amazing car, but not so much in that environment.
Having subs in generic store bought boxes is no different.

EDIT: Oh yeah I just remembered, I also have lots of hardware for taking full power signals, (which go to the factory speakers,) and reducing them to RCA level signals. I have one thats quite high end whereas it has a built in EQ as well, I just never used it (brand new). So that would work quite well for you. I have a few others that you may be interested in as well. Let me know if you want any of it. Its just sitting in my garage.

Graham_A_M
08-10-2012, 08:01 PM
I should also say, if you wanted to save some big bucks, I can find a really good used amp, and with that Dayton Titanic ($180 sub) you could have a bumpin' kick ass stereo for about $400-500. You really dont need to spend big bucks to have a great system.

Back when I used to compete in SPL comps, my full 4600 watt RMS system cost me $1k. Deck, speakers, amps, and sub. Not bad for something that could dish out 152.2 db's. It sounded extremely good as well, not just stupidly loud, for that I used a single Digital Designs 9515 (15") sub, only being fed 4600 watts via two amps. :rofl:

Its all about the know-how, which is seriously lacking in the car audio scene for the most part.

I tossed a decent stereo in my S10, total cost? $400. Part of that was a really good used 1,000 rms amp that cost me $100. :dunno:
Wiring is generally $75 for everything. Even running distribution blocks to run several amps, its really not much at all. However places like Visions will charge you out the ass for their "kits". Thats another reason I avoid them entirely.