PDA

View Full Version : Possible wasps in the vents and stubborn landlord

heavyfuel
08-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Ok, so there was a bunch of wasps setting up shop below my bedroom window by the electrical meters outside. Now my landlord sprayed that area, and I came home the other day to find 3 wasps trying to climb the screen, one on my bed, and one crawling on the floor! Landlord thinks they came in thru my spare bedroom, and couldn't find their way out, (cat pushed the screen out in the spare BR same day) but I think that's bullshit since all 5 were half dead and only one could fly, and barely. Plus I tore the spare room apart not a trace of a wasp anywhere. I think they crawled up thru the vent, which lines right up with the suspected location of the hive, by the meter. Landlord claims he uses commercial grade stuff but I seen him with 2 cans of Home Depot wasp spray. He's a hardcore DIY'er and although he's not a slumlord he is a nickel and dimer corner cutter with a lot of stuff. Should I get a professional exterminator and send him the bill? What avenues do I have if he won't pay? Won't be easy to find a place with 3 vehicles and a cat, and I don't wanna move. What should I do?

roopi
08-10-2012, 10:26 AM
When you go outside do you still see wasp activity in the area?

barmanjay
08-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Sounds like you have a good landlord trying to save money?

Could be the area just needs another treatment.

I've got a few places the wasps were making a home; that home depot stuff works pretty amazing.

There are 2 types, regular spray and a foam with a red straw (like the straw you get with WD40)

Use the foam to spray the entry so they don't get out, attach the straw, insert at nest opening and spray the heck out of it.

Do it at night when the wasps are the least active.

Cost: $10

The contents of the can is commercial grade. The chemicals used can kill small animals and potentially us.

I've watched wasps as the just touch the stuff; they instantly start rolling around like it burns, curl up and die.

If YOU hire an exterminator, he has no obligation to pay.

I would ask him to come and treat the area again.

If the wasps continue to show up, keep letting him know.
That is the best thing you can do.

schocker
08-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Professional exterminator for wasps...... :rofl:
Just suit up and spray it, maybe put a screen on the vent too :dunno:

dj_patm
08-10-2012, 11:00 AM
100% success rate

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rtvkTe9gmJQ/T9OYwC8LdWI/AAAAAAAAAIs/5q9H1RTO5j8/s1600/flamethrower_straight.jpg

Fuck those little bitches up. Don't feel bad cause those motherfuckers will sting you without remorse. KILL THEM ALL.

canadian booster
08-10-2012, 11:01 AM
home depot used to carry a 'bee bag' but i haven't seen them in years, then just a month ago i saw it at Canadian Tire, works awesome at attracting and storing/killing wasps, just make sure to hang it somewhere away from the window because they WILL fly to the bag and you don'tw ant that kind of activity out your window :)

i have a knock-off beebag hanging outside my house right now, it's nowhere near as good

wish i could find a link .. it's a bag you unroll and fill half with water and put a plastic cap in top, bees fly in, can't fly out, run you about $9

if you can see the nest, suit up, make sure you're all protected, and spray that wasp killer expanding foam into there at night

Thaco
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by canadian booster
home depot used to carry a 'bee bag' but i haven't seen them in years, then just a month ago i saw it at Canadian Tire, works awesome at attracting and storing/killing wasps, just make sure to hang it somewhere away from the window because they WILL fly to the bag and you don'tw ant that kind of activity out your window :)

i have a knock-off beebag hanging outside my house right now, it's nowhere near as good

wish i could find a link .. it's a bag you unroll and fill half with water and put a plastic cap in top, bees fly in, can't fly out, run you about $9

if you can see the nest, suit up, make sure you're all protected, and spray that wasp killer expanding foam into there at night

you can make one of those with a pop bottle and anything sweet...

http://patelive.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/wasp-trap.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pp0W5eMoo0A/TIueIF8W86I/AAAAAAAACOo/1icQ7hGTFiA/s1600/waspsphoto.jpg

toastgremlin
08-10-2012, 02:39 PM
What keeps them from flying back out?

Thaco
08-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
What keeps them from flying back out? stupidity...

nismodrifter
08-10-2012, 03:02 PM
The foam from home depot works pretty good, used it last weekend to kill a lot of them, had to use fire to actually finish the job though.

The bastards are back in another spot, I just made one of the bottle traps as shown above and filled it with a nice sugary solution, will report back if there are any fatalities.

JDMMAN
08-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Artificial wasps nest also works. They're "territorial" I had to put up two (one under the deck a few meters away from where they were flying in and out of; and another close to the entrance of the house for good measure). Need to seal those areas off with foam or something.

gretz
08-10-2012, 03:25 PM
+1 to thaco... a lot of restaurants with patios do this... use grape crush > purple bees:thumbsup:

canadian booster
08-10-2012, 03:49 PM
i made one myself and the damn thing didn't attract anything! i must have used the wrong liquid :(

doh

but ya if you make your own, go for it :D

they can't fly out because they crawl inside and fly around, then to get out, they can't fly up without their wings hitting, and they can't crawl out because their legs are on the bottom, there's nowhere to land

and yes, stupidity.. if they landed on the side the could crawl all the way around and out, but they aint' that smart ;)

Thaco
08-10-2012, 04:32 PM
i made one up out of a 710ml bottle at lunch time today, put it relatively close to the nest, the buggers made a nest up inside the overhang roof above our doorway, so it's tough to get up there, i sprayed the exterior a few times but hey didn't leave, so i'll try this...

i put sunny-D in mine, i'll check it tomorrow morning and let you guys know if i caught any.

BokCh0y
08-11-2012, 01:05 AM
post som epics taco. i wanna see how well this worked please. thanks.

C_Dave45
08-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Just an FYI: If you're looking for "Raid Wasp & Hornet Killer" and you come across this crap...don't bother:

http://www.buycanadianfirst.ca/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/2478_51b3b8e63fae8146dada64cf73c3ef6d.jpg

I swear, the wasps think it's a foam rave party. Didn't seem to kill any of them, and now their flying around attacking me like crazy.

The Raid stuff, kills on contact. Immediate.

http://content.etilize.com/1300/1012675240.jpg

95teetee
08-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
What keeps them from flying back out?

Originally posted by Thaco
stupidity...

this- ever try to shoo a bee out your open car window and they'll fly all over the car without ever making it out the big gaping hole with the air rushing around it?
Same principle, but on a smaller scale.

yellowsnow
08-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Just an FYI: If you're looking for "Raid Wasp & Hornet Killer" and you come across this crap...don't bother:

http://www.buycanadianfirst.ca/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/2478_51b3b8e63fae8146dada64cf73c3ef6d.jpg

I swear, the wasps think it's a foam rave party. Didn't seem to kill any of them, and now their flying around attacking me like crazy.

The Raid stuff, kills on contact. Immediate.

http://content.etilize.com/1300/1012675240.jpg

i used the first can you showed. worked perfectly for me. had to do two applications though to kill all of them.

C_Dave45
08-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow

i used the first can you showed. worked perfectly for me. had to do two applications though to kill all of them.

Yeah, it DID end up working...but not near as quick as the Raid stuff.
First application and a bunch would crawl through the foam, others would come back in, look like sniff it and go crazy. I had wasps hitting my head, flying into my legs...I got the hell outta there. Gave it a couple more blasts throughout the day.

With Raid...I could kill them out of the air.
I hate wasps.

Thaco
08-13-2012, 08:42 AM
well my wasp trap was a fail, but i blame the bait, not the bottle, this type of trap has worked for me many time sin the past, just seems wasps have different interests at different times of the year, i had tried sunny d the first day, caught nothing, the next day i switched it to a mixture of vinegar and sugar (as per suggestion of the internets), caught 2 black flies... no wasps,.. but i can see the little bastards flying in and out of my eves only 5 feet from where i put the trap.

bastards were in the same spot the last couple years, i kill them out and they come back the next year... problem is i cant see where the actual nest is, so it makes it difficult to "treat"

i think this year i am gonna kill them off, then next week or so, take some spray foam insulation crap, stick it in the hole they're going in to an dfill it up... hopefully prevent them from entering next year.

not a very good pic, but, they're in an overhang in this picture...
it's right on the corner in the little red circle, they have 2 access spots i have seen, one on the end facing the camera in the siding, and one up under the shingles, like the 2nd shingle in.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ngfndh.jpg

I'll probably head home at lunch to raid them, since my kids are away right now, and the wasps will be pissed for sure.