PDA

View Full Version : Home automation... anyone tackle this adventure?

JDMMAN
08-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I've been toying around with installing some home automation (remote controlled, blinds, appliances, lighting etc). Has anyone tried a DIY job and where'd you get the parts etc?

Unknown303
08-10-2012, 03:10 PM
I want to so bad but haven't yet.

JDMMAN
08-10-2012, 03:14 PM
I've seen some things in magazines that use either a Apple iPad or the Android tablet as the "remote". My home was oldschool and had a full intercom system.

Unknown303
08-10-2012, 03:20 PM
There is a lot of amazing this that can be done around arduino controllers. They are super expandable and can do damn near anything you can think of. Down to RFID scan cards to unlock doors etc.

http://www.arduino.cc/

revelations
08-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Whats your budget OP? I just had a client today (for other IT support) and she had her house automated from the ground up (with an Android controller) - they did an excellent job.... except she didnt pay too much attention when they went through all the details ... lol

89coupe
08-11-2012, 12:00 AM
My buddies company does this, nobody will touch their prices or service.

www.pinnaclehometech.com

They did my whole house.

wtf im nameless
08-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
My buddies company does this, nobody will touch their prices or service.

www.pinnaclehometech.com

They did my whole house.

Except me and my company.

Personally I've never found a DIY brand that's reliable enough for me to ever use or recommend. I'd suggest you stick with a physical remote control for TV's, but you can do everything via iPad as well.

Lutron is the only company I'd ever recommend for motorized window treatment, their products are amazing.

I have experience designing and installing systems up to $150k and always give free advice to fellow beyonders, just let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to answer them for you. I install both Control4 and Clare Controls for automation systems but have knowledge of Savant and Crestron systems as well.