PDA

View Full Version : Those "user pay" air pumps..

C_Dave45
08-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Just curious...what do you guys do when you realize your tires low, and the gas station only has those stupid "Loonie/Toonie" air pumps? And you have no change?

Benny
08-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Do a quick phone map search and find out whether there's another gas station close by. If unsuccessful, I take money out of the ATM, buy a bottle of water, fill my tires, then leave in a shitty mood and bitch and moan for the rest of the day about those asshole 'pay for air' pumps.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
If I see someone near one and looking perplexed or confused I give them a loonie if I have one. Just did it last week with some kids.

I don't understand why cyclists dont have hand pumps at home, but motorists can't be expected to have an air compressor on hand. Change is dead with plastic, and courtesy is dead as well on the stores part.

Graham_A_M
08-10-2012, 06:49 PM
You can just buy one of those foot pumps at most sports stores. They can usually do up to 40-50psi, which can get you out of a pinch. They take up next to no room in the trunk anyway. I gave one to my mom just in case. Most places have free air so I've never had that problem.
:dunno:

maxomilll
08-10-2012, 06:53 PM
There's an over ride switch/button on the bottom of a lot of those pumps.

C_Dave45
08-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Benny
Do a quick phone map search and find out whether there's another gas station close by. If unsuccessful, I take money out of the ATM, buy a bottle of water, fill my tires, then leave in a shitty mood and bitch and moan for the rest of the day about those asshole 'pay for air' pumps.

Whew....too much work. It's probably easier for me, as I'm older but I've always just walked inside and asked "Hey, can you turn the pump on, I've got no change on me". I've never had anyone refuse until today. Ran into a real prick at the Husky station by my house, where I spend over $300 a month on gas at. After 10 years, they just replaced their old air hose with these new user-pay gizmos. I politely asked him if he could turn it on.

"You have to put money in it"
"yes I realize that. I just dont have any change on me and the tires really low"
"We can't do that"
"Seriously? You're the first station who's ever said No"
"WE CANT DO THAT" he yells at me.
"Wow..."
"Hit the Road" he barks at me. LOL..."what a douche" I mumble back. He then fingers me as I walk past the window. (This is the head mechanic) I stop. Turn around and walk back in.
"That's how you treat customers?"
"No that's how I treat YOU. Get the fuck out". I look at him and pull out the phone..fiddling with the camera....
"GET THE FUCK OUT. NOW" He starts to get up off his stool.
"Call a cop, ya douchebag...I'm not finished". So I snapped a picture of him. (yeah, THAT'll fix him :rofl: )

Sigh...whatever happened to customer service.

Graham_A_M
08-10-2012, 06:58 PM
^ Holy fuck, which location was that? Thats absolutely unacceptable, you should call Husky. It would be comic gold if he "suddenly doesn't work there anymore".

Thats just... wow.

Benny
08-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Whew....too much work. It's probably easier for me, as I'm older but I've always just walked inside and asked "Hey, can you turn the pump on, I've got no change on me". I've never had anyone refuse until today. Ran into a real prick at the Husky station by my house, where I spend over $300 a month on gas at. After 10 years, they just replaced their old air hose with these new user-pay gizmos. I politely asked him if he could turn it on.

"You have to put money in it"
"yes I realize that. I just dont have any change on me and the tires really low"
"We can't do that"
"Seriously? You're the first station who's ever said No"
"WE CANT DO THAT" he yells at me.
"Wow..."
"Hit the Road" he barks at me. LOL..."what a douche" I mumble back. He then fingers me as I walk past the window. (This is the head mechanic) I stop. Turn around and walk back in.
"That's how you treat customers?"
"No that's how I treat YOU. Get the fuck out". I look at him and pull out the phone..fiddling with the camera....
"GET THE FUCK OUT. NOW" He starts to get up off his stool.
"Call a cop, ya douchebag...I'm not finished". So I snapped a picture of him. (yeah, THAT'll fix him :rofl: )

Sigh...whatever happened to customer service.

Guy sounds like a total prick job. Give him one of these:

http://i.imgur.com/3knzf.jpg

Seriously though, I've asked stations to just turn the pump on twice and both times they've said they can't do that. Maybe I have an unlikable face.

Cos
08-10-2012, 07:05 PM

nismodrifter
08-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm pretty sure I know the location he is talkin about, I drive by almost daily and will be sure to drop in for a good trolling session. What a fucking douchebag. Definitely contact Husky IMO.

C_Dave45
08-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Guy sounds like a total prick job. Give him one of these:

ROFL!!!!! That cracked me up!!! Well done!!

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Holy fuck, which location was that? Thats absolutely unacceptable, you should call Husky. It would be comic gold if he "suddenly doesn't work there anymore".

Thats just... wow.

Funny you should mention that. I called Husky's retail customer service line and spoke with someone there. She said the same thing (minus the 'holy fuck' lol). They've launched an investigation and someone will be getting back to me next week.

What was even MORE funny....I showed the pic to my son and right away he says "Oh THAT prick!!!". Huh? lol.

He went in there to get tires put on rims for his RHD 180. I guess the tires had to be flared about a half inch to catch the rim? (I think you guys all know about that...I have no clue).
And this guy went on and ON about "you cant do that, its dangerous, we could be held liable...blah blah blah", but real rude about it.
Here is said douchebag:

http://i47.tinypic.com/15zip2s.jpg

FraserB
08-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I know it too, soooooo tempted to go ask for free air now.

C_Dave45
08-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Husky in Woodside?

No, the Canyon Meadows Husky. At the bottom of Elbow Dr.

Vagabond142
08-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I know it too, soooooo tempted to go ask for free air now.

Beyond cruise? :bigpimp: :clap: :goflames:

Hallowed_point
08-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Wow..what a complete douchebag! It's air..AIR!!! It's not going to come out of your $10/hour salary

ekguy
08-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Was going to say we have a dept here to deal with idiots like that but looks like you already called.

:thumbsup:

As far as I know that's not corporate policy to treat people like that at husky...

:nut:

Aleks
08-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I've never run into a pump that charges for air. But I only really fill up at the Shell in Braeside :dunno: Used to fill at Husky in Woodlands and it was free too until I needed premium gas and made the switch to Shell.

black13
08-10-2012, 07:51 PM
wow what a shitbag.

Seriously don't understand stuck up employees like this who will gain absolutely nothing from refusing or giving out free air yet they have to be a real asshole.

I'd be down to go there and ask for air as well and just give him hell.

I've asked for air at superstore and 711 both with success. One time the guy couldn't find the button since he was new but he sure wasn't a dick about it.

D'z Nutz
08-10-2012, 07:57 PM
They've launched an investigation and someone will be getting back to me next week.

Haha sweet, I hope you get free air for life!

If this guy's still around, I think you must insist each of your guests take turns getting air in 15 minute intervals at your next poker night. Everyone who brings back an inflated item can redeem it for free poker chips. Assuming you have 30 guests, that'll take 7.5 hours. Maybe try finding out when his shift starts hahaha

Power_Of_Rotary
08-10-2012, 08:02 PM
So far most of the pumps that i go to requires money, but try pressing the air button without putting money in. alot of the machines will still run without actually inserting coins. this does not apply to petro can tho

syritis
08-10-2012, 08:09 PM
I have owned a 100$ 15gallon air compressor for the better part of 10 years now. i even put an intake muffler and k&n filter on it. beefed up the cooling coils and added a ball valve for the drain. I've worked this thing hard and it has been the best valued tool i've ever owned.

I have also helped the occasional person in distress with my on-board air. although this is rare as most people i meet are rather rude or ignorant until after you help them......

CanmoreOrLess
08-10-2012, 08:47 PM
The Air Nazi! NO AIR FOR YOU!!!

The one and only time I took a photo of an idiot employee treating me wrong (my limit is pretty high), he ran over and knocked the iPhone from my hand with a chop-chop. The three witnesses gasped (thinking this was going to escalate), I walked over to where my phone crashed twenty feet away, picked it up and called the head office. Angry guy was fired within an hour and I had a brand new iPhone and a letter of apology from the Manager.

I hope all this and more on the Air Nazi.

Charging for air is one step away from charging for the use of the toilet. It ain't right.

rob the knob
08-10-2012, 09:14 PM
locates

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

The one and only time I took a photo of an idiot employee treating me wrong (my limit is pretty high), he ran over and knocked the iPhone from my hand with a chop-chop. The three witnesses gasped (thinking this was going to escalate), I walked over to where my phone crashed twenty feet away, picked it up and called the head office. Angry guy was fired within an hour and I had a brand new iPhone and a letter of apology from the Manager.

Charging for air is one step away from charging for the use of the toilet. It ain't right.

GQBalla
08-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Details? was it for the air?

95teetee
08-10-2012, 09:25 PM

I guess the tires had to be flared about a half inch to catch the rim? (I think you guys all know about that...I have no clue).
And this guy went on and ON about "you cant do that, its dangerous, we could be held liable...blah blah blah he should have just pointed out how stupid it looks, maybe 'they' would finally buy tires the right width for the rims (or vice versa).

e31
08-11-2012, 12:00 AM
You shouldn't fuck with that guy, can't you see in the picture he's got like 10 degrees from the University of Phoenix online; total badass.

But really people, BUY A FREAKING 12VOLT COMPRESSOR! (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/AirPumpsCompressors/PRD~0095092P/12V+Compact+Compressor.jsp?locale=en) These things should be in every car-enthusiasts emergency kit (you have one right?)

speedog
08-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Charging for air is one step away from charging for the use of the toilet. It ain't right. Charging for toilets - they do that in Holland, eh.

Unknown303
08-11-2012, 08:03 AM

I know where I'm getting my air from now :rofl:

ZenOps
08-11-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm surprised that noones mentioned pure nitrogen.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=nitrogen-filled-tires-fuel-efficiency

Does it leak out slower? Sure, but if you keep your tires inflated with normal air even on a semi regular basis, its not going to make a difference.

Does it reduce decay on the inside of the tire? There is no oxidation (nitrogen doesn't react with anything) but if you run into a wedge shaped rock, it won't make any difference in tire wear.

Is it worth $10, hells no.

ExtraSlow
08-11-2012, 08:28 AM
the biggest advantage of nitrogen is that because of the way they process it, it's very very dry. many cheap or poorly maintained air compressors have liquid water in the tank, and high humidity in the compressed air. that can accelerate corrosion worse than the oxygen in the air.

But again, not a huge deal for most street cars.

codetrap
08-11-2012, 09:20 AM
My thought on nitrogen is if you can get it for free, then great, if not, then don't forget the atmosphere is pretty high in nitrogen too. :P

speedog
08-11-2012, 09:26 AM
That 78% nitrogen mix that most soccer Moms are running doesn't seem to slow the leaks that many of their tires seem to have - you can always count on seeing at least a few of these vehicles with a low tire or two.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-11-2012, 09:53 AM
It's the water content in the shop air that eats the rubber. It's more evident in humid cities. The nitrogen is processed different and is 99% dry. Humid shop air eats rubber and leaks out the bead.

Michelin's used to be notorious for bead leaks on alloys due to corrosion.

Nitro is worth it if you're in a humid city, and plan to use the same air for years. If you swap tires every season they will not refill with nitro unless you request.

rage2
08-11-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't have that problem. My car comes with a compressor with gauge, as well as white gloves to keep my delicate hands clean while I fill it up. :rofl:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/P1010184.jpg

speedog
08-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Maybe it's more a case of corroding aluminum wheels being the source of leaks than the moisture eating the rubber.

Team_Mclaren
08-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I don't have that problem. My car comes with a compressor with gauge, as well as white gloves to keep my delicate hands clean while I fill it up. :rofl:

fuck what a true ballarrr, my factory compressor kit doesnt come with white gloves:cry:

max_boost
08-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I have added air to my tires maybe once or twice my entire life. It was so long ago that I don't even remember on what car I did it.

rage2
08-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I adjust my pressures quite a bit to tweak handling. Actually, anyone know where I can get this locally?

http://www.slime.com/shop/digital-tire-inflator-40022/

Only places I can find it is online that ships to US only. Set a pressure and it'll pump it till it gets there and automatically stop.

Cos
08-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Benny
08-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I have added air to my tires maybe once or twice my entire life. It was so long ago that I don't even remember on what car I did it.

If you own a trailer for long enough you get used to filling her up periodically. Damn POS trailer tires just don't like to hold pressure.

rob the knob
08-11-2012, 11:41 AM
walmart and canadian tire carry SLIME products. not sure about that exact item, maybe call or stop by to look.

rage2
08-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Ya, they seem to have everything but that digital pump haha.

FraserB
08-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I adjust my pressures quite a bit to tweak handling. Actually, anyone know where I can get this locally?

http://www.slime.com/shop/digital-tire-inflator-40022/

Only places I can find it is online that ships to US only. Set a pressure and it'll pump it till it gets there and automatically stop.

565 CFM?

Has to be a typo. Since their site says 26LPM, it is actually rated at 0.565CFM

CompletelyNumb
08-11-2012, 03:21 PM
I bought on at canadian tire years ago that would stop at a designated pressure...not sure of the brand though. It was bright yellow though haha.

boarderfatty
08-11-2012, 10:20 PM

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/P1010184.jpg

Was just going to post my Porsche kit haha, I love this thing, never had to use it yet but seems very handy. You can pick up similar portable compressors from crappy tire or napa for under $100 and should be in most peoples emergency kits imo.

I have a compressor at home as well as have air at my shop, so I have never really had to deal with the need to use gas station air or my portable.

As far as nitrogen goes, as others have said the main benefit is the fact it is dry, and wont corrode wheels or wreck tires. I think charging for it is a scam though. Our nitrogen set up cost a bit in our shop, but we just put a $20 cartridge thing in it every 6 months or so, so no need for buying nitrogen tanks etc. Our whole shop runs on nitrogen, partly because then we didnt have to worry about running separate nitrogen lines, it is beneficial to customers, and also is good for our mechanics tools (moisture kills air tools) This way it costs us $40 a year instead of $20 which is nothing in the big scheme of things

z24_wheels
08-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Costco sells a compressor that is digital and let's you set a pressure and it will fill to that setting. Different attachments as well for multiple applications. $40.

flipstah
08-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by e31
You shouldn't fuck with that guy, can't you see in the picture he's got like 10 degrees from the University of Phoenix online; total badass.

But really people, BUY A FREAKING 12VOLT COMPRESSOR! (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/AirPumpsCompressors/PRD~0095092P/12V+Compact+Compressor.jsp?locale=en) These things should be in every car-enthusiasts emergency kit (you have one right?)

:thumbsup:

Gotta have the compressor and those temp. tire seal foam. It's in my kit.

asp integra
08-13-2012, 08:25 PM
i have always just asked nicely for them to turn on the air and never once have i been refused

Spoons
08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Just go to CO-OP. They know where it's at. Free air there still, fairly certain they are the only ones who do it anymore.

My buddy I guess learned a way to break into them. No clue how he does it as I'm always loaded out of my mind when he's doing it, but he always breaks into them when walking home drunk and over rides it for free for other people until the gas station figures it out.

He then takes the change out and has a huge jar he donates to charity once it gets large enough.

He then usually mumbles something drunkily, "motherafcukers n payn aire. AIR FREE!"

I guess he's morally awesome?

soobad
08-14-2012, 06:58 PM

Might go here and casually "ask for air" in my Z tomorrow to see what happens. (Close enough to my route anyways.)

Can't believe the guy would just start going overboard on you like that after you just persisted about trying to get some air in your tires!

C_Dave45
08-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Forgot to update this. So a Husky District Manager got back to me. She informed me that the cashiers have "tokens" to give to customers if they don't have any money and just "ask" to use the air pumps.
As for Mr Douchebag, that whole mechanics Bay is subbed out from Husky. They have no relation with them. But she agreed that by the very fact they work in a building that has "Husky" written on it, people associate that person with Husky.
She is going to visit to the store on the 22nd and make sure the HUSKY store manager is aware of what happened.

Graham_A_M
08-14-2012, 07:41 PM
^ No kidding, those guys are ambassadors to Husky just so long as their at that location doing work under the Husky name.
If i were you I'd get all the people that have issues with him in the past to forward their complaints, or be there for that day.
With ALL that I dont think he'll be around past that day, as 2nd party mechanic or not.