PDA

View Full Version : Truck got VANDALISED!

corsvette
08-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Been driving for 18 years and this is the first insurance claim i've had to make. Some loser keyed my wifes Yukon down both sides, the headlamps and the hood. They also tried to steal the Nav/DVD unit in the dash, doing so wrecked the unit itself, the dash surround and also the climate control unit. Both sides and the hood on the hood, body shop said every panel scratched will have to be repainted, that sucks!

Anybody here ever had to deal with this type of damage? The only place not scratched was the tailgate, so most of the truck will need a repaint. How much do y'all think it will cost to do both sides and the hood on a Yukon Denali XL? Was told ins co will likely try to pay a settlement rather than do the repairs on a truck this old (2005).

rob the knob
08-11-2012, 05:03 PM
rip truck.

maybe make someone angry? hire P.I. to look into activities.

corsvette
08-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
rip truck.

maybe make someone angry? hire P.I. to look into activities.

Wife's buying security camera for the front window to start.

Resurrected RA
08-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Sounds like a jilted lover... :burnout:

Seriously though, that sucks. I have no insight into your predicament, sorry.

Graham_A_M
08-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Sounds a lot more then some random vandalization. Did you or your wife screw somebody over at all in the last year or so?

For (most) of the body panels to be painted, probably $5k Then at least another grand to replace the console & Nav unit. Probably closer to $1800 actually for both those. See if you can buy a used one on ebay or at a wrecker yard for those, if insurance is being a pain about replacing it with new stuff, but they shouldn't be.

Cos
08-11-2012, 08:52 PM

corsvette
08-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Sounds a lot more then some random vandalization. Did you or your wife screw somebody over at all in the last year or so?

For (most) of the body panels to be painted, probably $5k Then at least another grand to replace the console & Nav unit. Probably closer to $1800 actually for both those. See if you can buy a used one on ebay or at a wrecker yard for those, if insurance is being a pain about replacing it with new stuff, but they shouldn't be.

My Wife caught some dude car prowling a few nights ago, she went outside and yelled "hey" at him and he ran off. I went out in the truck and looked for him for a bit while my Wife called the RCMP. We live right off the golf course, i think the prowlers like this street because they can run into the course if they get spotted.

CanmoreOrLess
08-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

My Wife caught some dude car prowling a few nights ago, she went outside and yelled "hey" at him and he ran off. I went out in the truck and looked for him for a bit while my Wife called the RCMP. We live right off the golf course, i think the prowlers like this street because they can run into the course if they get spotted.

A camera is a good move as are a series of bright motion sensor lights. Prowlers hate lights, the camera they really will not know about so it is for after the fact, as a record. My aunt lives next to a golf course and yes it is a dark safe zone for prowlers. Her next door neighbour is a city cop, he blanketed the area in motion sensor lights. Prowlers look for the easy hit, one look at your lights and they will be off to the next street.

An alarm system on all vehicles might be wise as well. I know I hate them but in this case you really could use the security.

Masked Bandit
08-12-2012, 09:44 AM
That's a crap deal for sure. You may very well be looking at a right off for something like this. FWIW a claim like this on your record isn't going at affect your future pricing.

se7en
08-12-2012, 10:06 AM
A little flashing light on the dash would probably even be enough.

corsvette
08-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
That's a crap deal for sure. You may very well be looking at a right off for something like this. FWIW a claim like this on your record isn't going at affect your future pricing.

Glad it won't affect my premiums at least. :thumbsup:

CanmoreOrLess
08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
LifeHacker has a how-to on a DIY security system:

http://lifehacker.com/5933533/roll-your-own-diy-security-system-this-weekend

corsvette
08-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Got the quote this week for all the damage, it came in at $7,800 for the body and interior damage not including the stereo head unit. That is a dealer/audio shop only item. We decided to ask for a payout instead of having 80% of a 8yr old truck repainted, we'll see what happens next I guess.

Stealth22
08-27-2012, 10:17 AM
So, does that mean that we can change the thread title to "Help corsvette shop for a new SUV?" ;) :rofl:

toastgremlin
08-27-2012, 03:28 PM
GMC Typhoon is the only good choice, I think.

corsvette
08-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
GMC Typhoon is the only good choice, I think.

I like that choice! Unfortunately, I'm very limited in a new SUV choice as it must seat 7-8 and be able to tow. Not all that many to choose from.

Theres a company out of the states that builds Duramax powered Suburban/yukon's, they're super $$ new but I found a used 05 that is quite reasonable. With a compound turbo setup, chip, exhaust, and few other mods it just might keep up to a Typhoon. :D