PDA

View Full Version : G35 Alternator problem or other electrical

JC522
08-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Hey guys, it's a 2003 G35 sedan. My alternator crapped out a couple months ago because it was putting out too much voltage putting my car into limp mode. I had the dealership replace the alternator but they told me they didn't have an OEM one so they put an aftermarket one in. Warranty on labour only, no parts. They also replaced all my belts at the same time.

Car was running all fine and good but last week intermittently the battery light and the ebrake light come on when I start the car but goes away when I start driving. I don't know if it's just me but I also swear I can hear some sort of whirring sound when I drive, deffinately not a belt squeel though. Friends said my car always sounded like that so I'm not sure. Is my alternator about to crap out again? Any possible checks I can do?

Thanks in advance

edit* forgot to mention the battery was also replaced at the dealership some time about 8 months ago with an oem battery

AE92_TreunoSC
08-12-2012, 11:58 PM
The daytime running light modules fail and cause ebrake lights to come on with G35's as well. I changed one that went with the alternator overvoltaging the car.

The DTRL module is inline with the alternator to the warning light.

I'd recommend taking it back to the dealer or a shop that knows G's.

JC522
08-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
The daytime running light modules fail and cause ebrake lights to come on with G35's as well. I changed one that went with the alternator overvoltaging the car.

The DTRL module is inline with the alternator to the warning light.

I'd recommend taking it back to the dealer or a shop that knows G's.

I actually had that module replaced also while trying to chase the electrical goblin that turned out to be a failing alternator. If I remember correctly, it's a sealed black unit by the passenger headlight right? Is there any way to test if it's failing? I know my DRLs are still working

RickDaTuner
08-13-2012, 01:52 AM
Have the alternator tested with a carbon pile. "sounds" like the field is weak. Probably due to worn brushes or shorted windings. But as mentioned It's best to take it to some one who has experience with those cars.