PDA

View Full Version : Exterior siding repair

lilmira
08-13-2012, 07:52 AM
If you don't know already, part of the city got hammered last night.

About a dozen pieces of siding and couple pieces of metal flashing (drip) on one side of my house will have to be replaced. Any handyman recommended? I would say that the houses around me suffered about the same degree of damage as well so may be we can work out something that works for everybody.

phreezee
08-13-2012, 09:30 PM
My neighbor advised me to let an adjuster access the house rather than trying to pay for any repairs myself. He said they will likely replace the whole side of the house since they won't be able to match faded pieces.

lilmira
08-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Yah, I filed a claim online anyway last night but I haven't heard anything back yet not too surprisingly. I was just trying to get the ball rolling knowing the extent of the damage in the city. I talked to a couple of contractors already and they are both recognized by my insurer TD. They'll come and have a look in a week or two.

I checked a bit more thoroughly today. There are roughly 30-50 pieces of sidings, trimming and flashings damaged plus unknown number of shingles. My deductible is 1000 so I'm not sure which way I'm gonna go until I have a better idea.

phreezee
08-13-2012, 09:49 PM
^Same boat then.

jdmakkord
08-13-2012, 10:30 PM
keep in mind that along with your siding, your gutters, downspouts, vents and shingles may be damaged. This can and will add up to far more than your deductible.

jsn
08-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
My neighbor advised me to let an adjuster access the house rather than trying to pay for any repairs myself. He said they will likely replace the whole side of the house since they won't be able to match faded pieces.

This. Last time we had a bad hail storm they ended up replacing all the siding, shingles, and gutters. The outside of our house is essentially brand new. It's a good thing an adjustor was looking at the house because we only called the insurance company because a piece of shingle had fallen off. The adjustor told us that all of our siding was damaged and needed replacing. We didn't even see the damage until the adjustor told us.

lilmira
08-23-2012, 09:21 AM
So I'm still waiting for a couple companies to show up and assess the damage. I'm still waiting for the adjustor to contact me also.

Yesterday a person from Platinum Roofing and Construction showed up doing door to door free estimate offer in the neighbourhood. He said that they will cover the deductible too.

Not much history/review available for this company. I remember similar approach was mentioned here after the wind storm we had last year. What's the deal with these people? They are either really desperate for work or something shady is going on in order to cover my deductible.

speedog
09-24-2012, 06:29 PM
So from this August 12 storm, we've got an initial estimate on our house and all siding is to be replaced plus some soffit/fascia/eaves - siding because it's 30 year old .024 aluminum cladded hard board siding and it can't be matched. So I have a few questions - one, are there any Beyonders in this business who might be willing to take on such a job and two, what would be a competitive per square foot cost to remove the old stuff and replace it with either new aluminum, vinyl or stucco exterior coverings. There are probably other exterior coverings we could look at as well, but we are new to this and really aren't aware of what's on the market.