PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour has tripod set up looking into APPT

littledan
08-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Hello All,

I am a resident at the Icon tower 1 here in edmonton. Last night, I noticed our neighbour 1 floor below and Icon tower 2 has a tripod set up in a darkened room directly across from my apartment windows. I cannot tell for certain what he has mounted on top of the tripod but it appears to be a video camera. I discovered this last night while on my balcony. Normally the room he has it mounted in is dark but I saw the outline when he had his interior door to the hallway open.

Do I have any recourse in this situation? Is he within his rights to point a video camera at the windows of my apartment? I enjoy keeping my pull down blinds open to get natural light and see the city lights at night, but I am very unnerved with my fiance being at home alone and don't want her or myself to end up on some creepy website somewhere naked. Brick wrapped with a note?

Thank you for the opinions.

tobypaddock
08-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Get a tripod and mount one of those green military laser pointers and point it right into his lens. Lets him know you know what he's up to (if he is in fact recording you or someone else).
I have a feeling it's probably not what you think it is though.

Also, pics of said fiancé (preferably from your neighbor across the way)

JustinMCS
08-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Could be a star gazer?

D'z Nutz
Maybe a week of nude jumping jacks will remedy the situation. Seeing littlelittledan slapping and flapping around should force him to take his set up down.

Tik-Tok
I would pick up some binoculars and get confirmation before going ballistic. If it is indeed a camera pointed at your tower, I would go to the condo association with it.

95EG6P
08-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Maybe a week of nude jumping jacks will remedy the situation. Seeing littlelittledan slapping and flapping around should force him to take his set up down.

lol yes what he said :clap:

lilmira
08-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Do the helicopter.

littledan
08-13-2012, 10:59 AM
LOL. funny thing is, if it is a camera mounted there for any length of time, he definitely has tonnes of footage of my shaking my wang at my fiance everytime i get out of the shower and walk around nekkid. :facepalm:

i do have some binoculars but it is very difficult to see in during the daylight hours as the tower 2 has tinted glass whereas tower 1 is untinted. I used the binos yest when I spotted the tripod and there is definitely something mounted on the tripod but i'm not sure exactly what. did not appear to be a telescope or spotting scope but some type of camera.

I will try out the laser pointer technique that is a great idea.

I don't think it is for stargazing as he has East and South facing windows, and he has this on the south facing windows that are directly facing our tower and have no views of the open sky. East facing would allow for open views.

http://maps.google.ca/local_url?dq=Icon+Towers,+Edmonton,+AB&q=https://plus.google.com/103853672580657796709/about%3Fgl%3Dca%26hl%3Den&s=ANYYN7nhmOKyQoDEkPsFhkw4tCCuZoTXLA&dtab=2

BMW Power
08-13-2012, 11:07 AM
A lot of my friends had the tripods set up over the weekend because of this, might be a coincidence.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/357988/perseid-meteor-shower/

dj_patm
08-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Well I guess I can take it down.

interlude
08-13-2012, 11:27 AM
do you have a rifle? get a high powered rifle with a good scope and see what hes up to. If he takes it down, he got the message :thumbsup:

Cos
08-13-2012, 12:38 PM

frizzlefry
08-14-2012, 10:30 AM
get a mannequin or something that looks like a body. Then wait for him to watch and murder it.

sputnik
08-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Why not take a picture of his set up and post it here?

littledan
08-14-2012, 10:50 AM
I can't see the set up during the day due to the reflection coming off his windows. I am only able to see this at night if he leaves his hallway door open and I can see the outline of the tripod and camera against that light. I tried to take a pic, but unfortunately I don't have a creep set up DSLR with telephoto lens.

Liking the mannequin murder idea!

kaput
08-14-2012, 01:14 PM

Thaco
08-14-2012, 01:18 PM
even if it is a camera... there are dozens of units in that building, the chances of it being specifically targeted at your unit, are pretty slim... you cant even see if it's a camera, so you cant even potentially gauge where it's pointed... it could even be pointed inside and they're using the natural light from the window to light portrait sessions...

and if you're worried, get some curtians... there are plenty of options that block view but still let in light.

and quit dick slapping your gf, she doesn't like it.

msommers
08-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Probably nothing honestly. Make sure the camera is even pointing at you. My first guess when I read your post was either a DSLR for the metero showers or he is a photographer. My cousin is a pretty good art photographer and he had his second bedroom become his studio. Did some pretty slick work.

Here is his Flickr if anyone is interested in seeing what you can do in a 1200 sq ft apartment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/american-psycho-uk/

He has some amazing shots there. I like how he describes the process too.

blubs
08-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Go for the high powered laser pointer, it just wrecks the sensors and they have a giant black spot.

Dave P
08-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
get a mannequin or something that looks like a body. Then wait for him to watch and murder it.

Best Idea in the thread.

nonofyobiz
08-15-2012, 07:35 PM
There is only one reasonably solution to this.... you must turn the tables and stalk him. Find out everything about him, take pictures, follow him, learn his schedule, routines etc... post frequent updates so the Beyond community can decide your next move

codetrap
08-15-2012, 09:21 PM
For, this, I'd lend you my telephoto setup. :)

revelations
08-16-2012, 11:32 AM
OP youre making too much of nothing.

Post pictures of the neighbours building outside your window.

littledan
08-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Here is an idea of how close the two buildings are... prob 20-25m separation max. This view is from my west balcony, I also have a balcony on the north side of the unit that is much closer to the other tower. His camera is set up directly across from the north of my unit. from there he really has no view of the sky, and if it was a telescope for star gazing i would see the outline of his telescope, but whatever device he has mounted appears to be directly in line with my line of sight...

sputnik
08-16-2012, 12:51 PM
I don't see anything on a tripod.

Thaco
08-16-2012, 12:52 PM
why would you assume privacy when you're that close anyway?

msommers
08-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Probably just wanted confirmation that yes, you're actually drinking that shitty Italian beer :angel:

littledan
08-16-2012, 03:18 PM
lol. i have no problem with my neighbours looking into my appt or seeing me naked out of the shower... but if some creepy dude is trying to video record my fiancee then yes I do have a problem with that!

I got some awesome beers this week at superstore. Gusser (AUS), tuborg, and stiegl.... mmm mmm

mr2mike
08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Probably just wanted confirmation that yes, you're actually drinking that shitty Italian beer :angel:
I lol'd

There's probably a hot chick on the next floor below you he's scouting out and not you.
You're just mad that you're missing out.

toastgremlin
08-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Just wait until you can see him down there, then strip naked, press against the glass and backlight yourself with something bright enough to draw his attention.

I suggest a strobe light. Stare directly at his window.

Tik-Tok
08-16-2012, 03:44 PM
The simplest solution, of course, is to put up a cardboard sign in your window. Small enough print so anyone can't read it without an optical lens.

"If you can read this, I can see your camera, and am reporting you to the police and condo board and police if you do not stop looking into this building".

Won't be much of a way to tell if he takes it down, but he won't know that. And if he isn't looking at your place, he won't read the sign anyways.

shakalaka
08-16-2012, 04:54 PM
On a side note, how are the apartments in the Icon towers? I am in the process of purchasing one, but when I checked out the one I am getting in the The Quest tower, I was sold right away. Didn't even check out the Icon after that. The building sure does look cool though.

ipeefreely
08-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
On a side note, how are the apartments in the Icon towers? I am in the process of purchasing one, but when I checked out the one I am getting in the The Quest tower, I was sold right away. Didn't even check out the Icon after that. The building sure does look cool though.

I heard that there are lots of rentals (I prefer to avoid a building with lots of renters...) and it was built during and after the boom so there are some problems with the construction (banging pipes, elevators that didn't work right at first, garbage everywhere...).

Check out this forum, they have a few treads on the Icon and the Quest:

connect2edmonton - Real-Estate & Development (http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66) (do a search)

shakalaka
08-17-2012, 09:08 AM
The problems you're saying, is that for Icon or the Quest?

Thanks for the link, will check it out. Probably too late to do anything now though. lol

Laoz
08-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

LMAO!

ipeefreely
08-17-2012, 09:54 AM
The problems you're saying, is that for Icon or the Quest?

Thanks for the link, will check it out. Probably too late to do anything now though. lol

Sorry, I should have been more specific... the Icon.

Here's one: Icon Towers Noise Problems! (http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22135 )

EDIT: Someone is asking about a camera in that thread too! :rofl:

Hello All, I am a resident at the Icon tower 1. Last night, I noticed our neighbour 1 floor below in Icon tower 2 has a tripod set up in a darkened room directly across from my apartment windows. I cannot tell for certain what he has mounted on top of the tripod but it appears to be a video camera. I discovered this last night while on my balcony. Normally the room he has it mounted in is dark but I saw the outline when he had his interior door to the hallway open.

Do I have any recourse in this situation? Is he within his rights to point a video camera at the windows of my apartment? I enjoy keeping my pull down blinds open to get natural light and see the city lights at night, but I am very unnerved with my fiance being at home alone and don't want her or myself to end up on some creepy website somewhere naked.

Thank you for the opinions.

kgb81

littleDan is that you!?! :rofl:

shakalaka
08-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Ah, ic. Thankfully, I'll be moving into the Quest. Read a thread about it, seems like overall it's a good place to be.

ipeefreely
08-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Ah, ic. Thankfully, I'll be moving into the Quest. Read a thread about it, seems like overall it's a good place to be.

Good luck! :)

You should have a nice view if you're up high. :thumbsup:

I heard they took some of these pictures from the Quest:Ultima Tower Views (http://ultimatower.ca/views.html)