PDA

View Full Version : Topsoil ontop of rocks?

stealth
08-13-2012, 11:57 AM
So I had an area that had concrete and road crush underneath. I removed the concrete...

I dug out as much as I could of the road crush, but there is still a small layer of rocks ontop of clay... I was told to have all rocks removed if possible as they can possibly make their way up through the topsoil I am planning on putting on top.

Now I am putting as much as 6-10" of topsoil in some areas, will I have any issues? The soil will be compacted down except for the top 4".

ExtraSlow
08-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Over the years, the rocks will tend to "float" up through the soil. However, that's a slow process. Are you putting down sod, or is this going to be a garden? If it's a garden, things like digging and rototiling will bring up the rocks faster. having some rocks in the soil of a garden isn't really a problem, espeically if it smaller gravel sized stuff.

stealth
08-13-2012, 12:43 PM
It is for sod. Hopefully it doesn't become a big problem.

Would fixing the problem just be picking out the rocks as they come up?

codetrap
08-13-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't think you really have to worry. I've been losing rocks from the border of my lawn for years now into the grass, and never had an issue. I figured the lawn simply has a taste for sandstone...

stealth
08-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the answers.

Another question I have after the fact is I completed the landscaping in my front yard.

Previously there was a concrete driveway extension. I removed part of it, and removed ALL of the 10 inches of road crush that was below it. I remove it all until I hit clay. Then I filled it with topsoil and compacted it with a roller.

Is this too much soil, will I be sinking in my front lawn if I step on it during the rain...

codetrap
08-23-2012, 09:58 PM
stealth.. pour the water on it for a couple of hours and find out.

stealth
08-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Ya its squishy right now with the sod on top. I will just let it compact overtime and see what happens.