PDA

View Full Version : multitasking works!

gx12
08-13-2012, 10:43 PM
yes! mobile phones used at gas stations can cause a fire is a rumor, since it has not yet been backed by any scientific evidence.
maybe is merely a theoretical issue....... but still pretty annoying especially when you were right beside me!
i'm:nut: yay for 1st post!?

btimbit
08-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Came to thread expecting a cyclist eating spaghetti or something worthwhile and/or hilarious.

Fat guy on cell phone. I leave disappointed.

Shlade
08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Came to thread expecting a cyclist eating spaghetti or something worthwhile and/or hilarious.

Fat guy on cell phone. I leave disappointed.

Holy fuck somebody eating spaghetti while riding a bike would be awesome haha!

Sentry
08-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Fucking awful.

Try again.

jsn
08-14-2012, 12:50 AM
You're too sensitive if you're annoyed by that. Who cares if he's using a cellphone by a gas station. I see people do it all the time.

msommers
08-14-2012, 01:20 AM
They tell people not to do it and it kind of irks me too when I see it. But do you really think they're going to leave the lives of others and the whole property in the hands of a stranger stopping by? People are dumb, they're prepared for it!

gx12
08-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by jsn
You're too sensitive if you're annoyed by that. Who cares if he's using a cellphone by a gas station. I see people do it all the time.

interesting... i've been in Calgary 5yrs , he's the first i've seen , that's why the "post" cuz is "rare" for me lol ,anyway annoyed just little bit. :)

syritis
08-14-2012, 03:41 AM
you don't always die playing russian roulette either, it pisses me off that people seem feel they're special. i don't care the stats or chances, youre told not to do it so don't. youre phone call can wait 30 fuckin seconds. i wish the cashiers would wait to turn on the pumps for these people. especially diesel trucks left running while fueling :banghead:

jaysas_63
08-14-2012, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by syritis
you don't always die playing russian roulette either, it pisses me off that people seem feel they're special. i don't care the stats or chances, youre told not to do it so don't. youre phone call can wait 30 fuckin seconds. i wish the cashiers would wait to turn on the pumps for these people. especially diesel trucks left running while fueling :banghead:

the myths ive heard about cell phones and gas vapor ignition are more about the static electricity released when the phone rings, rather than when it is in use. in any case they are just myths. sliding on your car seat is probably more dangerous than using your cell. i think your chance of playing "Russian roulette" are a lot higher with other activities you carry out, like driving in Calgary. :rofl:

dirtsniffer
08-14-2012, 07:10 AM
haha ya, no way a cell phone is going to spark a fire.

and why do you need to turn your car off why fuelling?

Unknown303
08-14-2012, 07:17 AM

:cry: I don't even see the signs up at some gas stations I fill up at.

SKR
08-14-2012, 07:42 AM
especially diesel trucks left running while fueling :banghead:

What's the problem with this?

Unknown303
08-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by SKR

What's the problem with this?

Yeah no kidding

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-14-2012, 08:10 AM
You guys are way too sensitive. I've used my phone at a gas station while filling up. Getting in/out of the car while it's filling up is way more dangerous than answering your phone.

Mibz
08-14-2012, 08:10 AM
People are getting upset about behaviours without education on the associated motivations or risks?

SHOCKING

RNB11
08-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

and why do you need to turn your car off why fuelling?

It's just a fire hazard, hot running engine or even exhaust pipe can spark low lying vapors. Similar to the no smoking at gas pumps law.

Crystalrw
08-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Sort of related.. I once saw a gas station employee sitting on the curb 2 feet from the door smoking a cigarette... not 5 feet from the nearest pump.

That pissed me off.

dirtsniffer
08-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by RNB11

It's just a fire hazard, hot running engine or even exhaust pipe can spark low lying vapors. Similar to the no smoking at gas pumps law.

you know exhausts and engines dont just instantly cool off when you turn off the engine right?

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Right, because a warm pipe (that will still be warm when it's just been turned off) will totally just spontaneously spark a fire. I hate to use them as a reference, but Mythbusters covered this. It's damn near impossible to spark fuel without an actual spark. The temperature would need to be in the thousands, rather than the hundreds, to spontaneously combust like that.

Mibz
08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Did they try and light gas with a lit cigarette? We tried it a bunch of times and couldn't do it. We may have just been doing it wrong though.

taemo
08-14-2012, 12:05 PM
You guys would freak out in Asia when you see people at the gas station filling up cars with engine still on

schocker
08-14-2012, 12:06 PM
LEL, LEL, LEL!
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/explosive-concentration-limits-d_423.html

dirtsniffer
08-14-2012, 12:07 PM
it's the fumes that are flammable. if you're just throwing smokes into a puddle of gas chances are it won't ignite. But if you suspend an ingition source above the puddle and move it around rest assured it'll giver.

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Did they try and light gas with a lit cigarette? We tried it a bunch of times and couldn't do it. We may have just been doing it wrong though.

Yeah, they tried it. Didn't work.

it's the fumes that are flammable. if you're just throwing smokes into a puddle of gas chances are it won't ignite. But if you suspend an ingition source above the puddle and move it around rest assured it'll giver.

I bet you, if you held a lit cigarette *over* a pool of gas, it still wouldn't light. Otherwise car exhausts would be blowing gas stations up all the time.

baygirl
08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
When we were teenagers my idiot sister and her friend wanted to know how much gas was in our three-wheeler so they lit a match and held it over the gas tank...it caught fire....

Mibz
08-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah, we tried dropping one in, hilariously, a toilet full of gas. Tried pouring some on pavement and flicking the smoke in. Tried just holding one above the stuff on the pavement and ashing into it. Nothing worked.

EDIT: Doing some reading, it looks like a lit cigarette get hot enough to auto-ignite gasoline but you need very specific conditions so that the heat doesn't dissipate. Conditions that would be very difficult to get outdoors.

cloud7
08-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Just like in your engine, you need to right air-to-fuel ratio to ignite...

Mibz
08-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Well, spark plugs kinda change things there. Average car AFRs are well below what's necessary for heat to ignite gasoline (according to that link 14:1 is at the top end), which is why the spark is necessary.

There's a difference between heat ignition, like from a cigarette or smoldering paper, and ignition from something like spark plugs or open flame.

Disclaimer: This is me spouting after reading one article so somebody can feel free to correct me.

raceman6135
08-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

b delivers:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo8xh9pQxf1qzxxaao1_500.jpg

Rstar
08-14-2012, 02:58 PM
This is right on par with cell phones in hospitals/airplanes phobia

GTS4tw
08-14-2012, 04:39 PM

LOL, classic. So everyone filling up waits for a break in the fumes to leave? Or does one car at the pumps usually start up and drive away before the others, leaving them in a firey hellstorm?

People need to get out more. And read.

sillysod
08-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Jerry can on the tailgate, sure. But cell phone? not a chance.

sidewaysD
08-15-2012, 08:31 AM
The concern is Volatile Organic vapor’s, and how escaping vapor’s can ignite. It's a concern with Gasoline particularly because when gas caps are open, fumes are pouring out when filling (especially on a hot day when liquid turns to vapor, Vaporizing point) These fumes can be ignited. The issue is most Gas-pumps in Canada do not have a Vapor drawing system as the Untied States do. (It is like an EVAP system for you car drawing vapor’s that are escaping and placing them back to be combusted) In the states you will notice the nozzle has a rubber boot on the filling rod sealing your fueling hole. That is drawing vapor back to the storage and recirculating. That is possibly why here in Canada they take this extremely seriously as they do not currently use the vapor withdrawal system.

Remember the flash point of gasoline is −43 °C (In which it still emits enough vapor to produce an ignition source) Higher the temperature the more vapors are produced. (which is why you should not over fill your gas tank for expansion room)

http://youtu.be/P_gAsmWYe44

Here is a famous YouTube video of a fuel truck driver using his cellphone to illuminate the storage wells on top of his truck. Although he was not talking on the phone, the fumes immediately ignited. (Note the time of day, Evening hours. The temperature for the vaporizing point was theoretically low, but enough vapor to still ignite.) I am not sure about most of you.. but if I am around flamable fumes I would rather not risk using any electrical devices. Theres a reason why oil fields, refinerys, gas pumps use explosion proof pumps, lamps/lights, etc. It's to prevent electrical currents from causing a ignition if gas/fumes where present.

rob the knob
08-16-2012, 08:39 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zVMkeJCDdIc/TAoBuxZ_LGI/AAAAAAAAAsQ/cFHsE4gM8R8/s1600/tour_de_france_old_passing_cigarette_smoke.jpg

psycoticclown
08-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by sidewaysD
The concern is Volatile Organic vapor’s, and how escaping vapor’s can ignite. It's a concern with Gasoline particularly because when gas caps are open, fumes are pouring out when filling (especially on a hot day when liquid turns to vapor, Vaporizing point) These fumes can be ignited. The issue is most Gas-pumps in Canada do not have a Vapor drawing system as the Untied States do. (It is like an EVAP system for you car drawing vapor’s that are escaping and placing them back to be combusted) In the states you will notice the nozzle has a rubber boot on the filling rod sealing your fueling hole. That is drawing vapor back to the storage and recirculating. That is possibly why here in Canada they take this extremely seriously as they do not currently use the vapor withdrawal system.

Remember the flash point of gasoline is −43 °C (In which it still emits enough vapor to produce an ignition source) Higher the temperature the more vapors are produced. (which is why you should not over fill your gas tank for expansion room)

Here is a famous YouTube video of a fuel truck driver using his cellphone to illuminate the storage wells on top of his truck. Although he was not talking on the phone, the fumes immediately ignited. (Note the time of day, Evening hours. The temperature for the vaporizing point was theoretically low, but enough vapor to still ignite.) I am not sure about most of you.. but if I am around flamable fumes I would rather not risk using any electrical devices. Theres a reason why oil fields, refinerys, gas pumps use explosion proof pumps, lamps/lights, etc. It's to prevent electrical currents from causing a ignition if gas/fumes where present.

Truck wasn't grounded, doesn't even show the cellphone and I've seen this video before saying that the guy used a cigarette lighter to look into it. And that's a huge tanker, quite different from a gas tank. Could very well be static electricity off his clothes rubbing together that caused it too.

Cos
08-26-2012, 08:38 PM

J-hop
08-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Probability of igniting the fuel arguement aside I hate when some d-bag leaves their vehicle running at the pump beside me and I have to spend the whole time filling my car up breathing exhaust fumes, even worse when it's a deisel....

..*JDM Hatch*..
08-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Fuck!!! I can't wait to be in a "spotted" thread when someone takes a picture of me talking on my phone,while getting gas,with my truck still running,and i have a lit smoke going.......While i am also eating spaghetti.

sidewaysD
08-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Who the fuck uses a lighter to illuminate a storage vessel carrying flamable liquids lol?

Thought it was a cellphone, as the video and website say..

But damn a lighter? how stupid can you be lol?

:dunno:

Cos
08-30-2012, 01:08 PM

TheStigz
08-30-2012, 01:52 PM
I dont know.

I have bad gas. Problem with my Anal Sphincter. (it opens at wrong times due to bad muslce control)

I can fart all day every minute talk on my phone and have a cigarrette and no ignition.

whats the problem? :dunno:

89s1
12-02-2012, 11:40 AM
^ Trying way too hard to be funny guy. ^

Copy and paste the "big" words you can't spell too. Nice touch.

Boosted131
12-02-2012, 01:01 PM

and why do you need to turn your car off why fuelling? It was myth busted already , and I fill my truck with it on if it's cold out ....

Kramerica
12-02-2012, 01:45 PM
I've left my car running while filling up without realizing it (had a shitty stereo and headphones in at the time). If you have some 70s rust bucket with leaky fuel lines I can see it being an issue. Otherwise its just paranoid soccer moms worried that their special snowflakes are going to be killed in a giant fireball because they perceive something to be unsafe with no factual evidence.

Sugarphreak
12-02-2012, 03:15 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
12-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Modern cars trigger an engine light, often they will perform evap tests during long idles once warm. Some cars will detect a fill and perform evap cycle. I believe new fords with the capless systems have such pumps.

It's common sense to turn the vehicle off, why do you need a reason?

I've also seen more keys locked in cars at gas stations than anywhere else.