PDA

View Full Version : Throw out your VTEC and aggressive camshafts!

T5_X
09-17-2002, 10:23 PM
This is the way of the future:

http://www.greendieseltechnology.com/news13.html

I stumbled upon this, its a very good article on the future of camless engines. You may want to brush up on your knowledge of camshafts and valve timing before reading this, but quick info on background knowledge is incorporated quite well.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this. By electronically controlling valve timing, it can become truly 100% efficient and continuos. The saved weight on the valvetrain will also free up overall weight of the engine. Reliability may be an issue, so that's all I worry about.

One thing that was not discussed in the article was the possibility that electronically controlling valve actuating could double up as a variable valve timing system AND variable geometry intakes & exhausts. Think about it, it could alter valve timing throughout the powerband, but potentially it could also vary the AMOUNT the valves are opened. This could lead to the optimal charge velocities throughout the powerband. Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself here, but It seems possible, and it would save on complexity and weight.