PDA

View Full Version : How to get usa netflix or hulu in canada? (using unblock-us)

finboy
08-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Hey guys, getting bored with Netflix Canada, and was wondering if anyone has tried http://unblock-us.com (https://www.unblock-us.com?offer_id=4&aff_id=1166) for accessing the US Netflix site. Is it secure? Does it go down/slow ever? Etc.

ronaldo
08-14-2012, 08:33 AM
check out tunlr.net

WhippWhapp
08-14-2012, 08:47 AM
I use unblock us, no complaints

rage2
08-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Never had an outage with unblock us.

Lex350
08-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Never heard of this. Anybody care to expand on this?

VWEvo
08-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
Never heard of this. Anybody care to expand on this?

:werd:

hash
08-14-2012, 10:08 AM
http://unblock-us.com (http://unblock-us.com/5054.html)

site explains it better than i can, but basically it uses an american IP address

BMW Power
08-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Is there really a substantial difference in content available between the US Netflix and the local version?

hash
08-14-2012, 10:12 AM
yes

CompletelyNumb
08-14-2012, 10:33 AM
This may sound silly, but how do you know which one you're subscribed to? I signed up at netflix.com last year. There's no indication that I have the canadian version, and I didnt use an IP blocker.

sputnik
08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
This may sound silly, but how do you know which one you're subscribed to? I signed up at netflix.com last year. There's no indication that I have the canadian version, and I didnt use an IP blocker.

There is no difference between Netflix accounts anymore.

The selection is solely based on your location (IP address) and not about if you have a US or Canadian account or credit card.

taemo
08-14-2012, 11:13 AM
no issues here as well, streams just fine on the ps3.
haven't tried it through the ipad yet though.

Originally posted by BMW Power
Is there really a substantial difference in content available between the US Netflix and the local version?
a lot more movies and tv shows available on the US side.
right now I'm watching Switched at Birth with the fiance :rofl:
she watches Vampires Diaries too.

Mar
08-14-2012, 11:55 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/356968/how-to-get-usa-netflix-and-pandora-in-canada/

I've been using it for a month or so, it's great. It has at least triple the content of Canadian Netflix, I could never go back. Most importantly it has Top Gear season 17!

It never goes down, it's fast and seemless. There is no way for you to tell which service you have, it doesn't tell you in the account settings or anything. You just know from the content you have access to.

poison
08-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

The selection is solely based on your location (IP address) and not about if you have a US or Canadian account or credit card.

didnt know that..i thought i was just paying that 5 bucks for unblockus for nothing. better check my appletv settings

WhippWhapp
08-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Not true, search The Office or South Park on Canadian Netflix.

EK69
08-15-2012, 10:37 AM
i use it, works awesome
it isnt a tunnel service either, which means no slowdown etc. Just changes the DNS.

u can change the dns settings on ur router itself, then u dont have to do it per device.

of course it depends on what you prefer...

dexter, for one, is not available on US netflix, however the canadian one has it :dunno:

WhippWhapp
08-15-2012, 10:51 AM
A side benefit of using Unblockus is you subscribe to both US/Canadian content.

If you want canuck content, just disable the service.

googe
08-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by poison

didnt know that..i thought i was just paying that 5 bucks for unblockus for nothing. better check my appletv settings

That isn't what he meant. The content is different, but it isn't attached to your account, it's just based on where you connect from.

BigDL
08-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Using the trial right now and it is working great, I have it setup on a vm so its easy for me to swap back and forth without messing up any of my other services.

Mar
08-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by EK69
dexter, for one, is not available on US netflix, however the canadian one has it :dunno:
Also:
- Dragon's Den
- Instinct
- Gone In 60 Seconds

sputnik
08-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp
Not true, search The Office or South Park on Canadian Netflix.

Once you have a Canadian account you can either go to the US or use a service like UnblockUS and Netflix will have a message pop up letting you know that you are now "roaming" and have access to more content.

You no longer have to signup to a "US account" with a US Visa gift card to gain access to the content if you are going to use something like UnblockUS.

npham
08-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Unblock US + Entropay Credit Card = win

nagooro
08-15-2012, 07:41 PM
I use unotelly. Works the same, doesn't require US credit card.

Toma
08-16-2012, 12:26 AM

REALLY!!! And I am just hearing about this now?? LOL.

Toma
08-16-2012, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Toma

REALLY!!! And I am just hearing about this now?? LOL.

Damn it, and as I typed that, I realized I just got my US credit car anyway lol!

But cool cause I have a Canadian netflix account.

streethondas
08-16-2012, 01:19 AM
Try out the 7days trial, add the DNS to your router or phone and enjoy.. Only takes a few minutes to setup..

Toma
08-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by streethondas
Try out the 7days trial, add the DNS to your router or phone and enjoy.. Only takes a few minutes to setup..

Ok, talk slower lol. What?

Mar
08-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by nagooro
I use unotelly. Works the same, doesn't require US credit card.
Unblock US offers UK proxies as well so you can enjoy BBC content. UnoTelly doesn't, I used them before switching.

Go to the website, sign up for the free trial and set up your device (phone, computer, media player). It takes 2 minutes and you're watching Netflix USA.

shakalaka
08-16-2012, 10:12 AM
How to do this 'setup' for some of us that are computer illiterate? And would it require that each device (computer, phone etc) be setup individually?

And, can you switch between the Canadian and American content as you please?

streethondas
08-16-2012, 10:21 AM

Lol alright so I know you have a galaxy nexus with a purple case on it.... :poosie:

If you go to wifi settings, long-press your network in the list of networks and choose "edit network", scroll to the bottom and tick "show advanced options" you can set your dns1 and dns2 in that menu, hit save close Netflix from your multitasking.

Set Netmask 255.255.255.0 (if same just leave it)
Set DNS 1 and DNS 2 fields as per table below:
DNS 1 208.122.23.22
DNS 2 208.122.23.23

taemo
08-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
How to do this 'setup' for some of us that are computer illiterate? And would it require that each device (computer, phone etc) be setup individually?

here's a guide on how to do it
http://unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/

FraserB
08-16-2012, 05:45 PM
So cool!

Law and Order:drool:

Gotta book next week off work now.

Mar
08-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

It's step by step on the website.
Yes, each device is set up individually but I believe you can change the DNS right on your switch and each device will get the US DNS automatically. So if that's true, then no you don't have to do it individually.
Yes, if you change your DNS back to your local Canadian DNS then you get the Canadian content. Switch the DNS to your Unblock-US DNS and you get the USA content. It takes about 30 seconds to switch back and forth. No reboot required.

Changing the DNS gateway is all you need to do.

msommers
08-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Are people actually able to do this with their phones on 3G? I looked into it for using Pandora on the road but I never got it to work.

Mar, what BBC content were you looking for?

Mar
08-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Are people actually able to do this with their phones on 3G? I looked into it for using Pandora on the road but I never got it to work.

I've only used it on Wi-Fi but I've used it on my phone with a HDMI out cable (MHL).
For BBC I was looking for Top Gear and Olympics coverage.

Mar
08-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Also:
- Dragon's Den
- Instinct
- Gone In 60 Seconds

Add Californication to that list as well. Just noticed it's missing.

msommers
08-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I've only used it on Wi-Fi but I've used it on my phone with a HDMI out cable (MHL).
For BBC I was looking for Top Gear and Olympics coverage.

The phone had no problem streaming that much stuff I take it?

EDIT: Signed up for US unblock and Pandora works ok with my CDN CC. Have it on my Android but unfortunately I need the wifi to be on to use it. Now to figure out to get it streaming via 3G and I'll be a happy camper.

EDIT2: After fucking around with free VPN servers, I bought one at VPNtraffic and I'm playing Pandora over 3G without problem! Super stoked and when this month is over, $35/year is awesome for such a variety of music.

Mar
08-16-2012, 11:18 PM

The phone had no problem streaming that much stuff I take it?

EDIT: Signed up for US unblock and Pandora works ok with my CDN CC. Have it on my Android but unfortunately I need the wifi to be on to use it. Now to figure out to get it streaming via 3G and I'll be a happy camper.
I've always got the latest greatest phone so I didn't have any troubles with streaming, I'd watch a couple of hours of Netflix and it'd be fine. Just had to have a charged battery, even though it charges through the MHL cable, it's still using more than it's charging.

Canadian credit cards work fine, it's strictly the USA DNS gateway setting, that's it, that's all it cares about. I've got a Canadian Netflix account with a Canadian credit card and I was in Florida for a 2 weeks in May, I got USA content while I was down there. That's what gave me the motivation to switch, I saw the difference in content.

And I hope you got a good wireless package, if you're streaming video on the cellular network you'll blow through 1 gigabyte very quick.

msommers
08-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Yeah very true. I have a 6GB plan because I was able to get a sweet deal on it but I've never even come close to that, I don't even think I've broke 1. Now time to get it's full worth :)

BigDannyCool
08-18-2012, 11:44 PM
after scrolling through the us netflix, i noticed that canadian netflix has a lot more recent movies

xmen first class, rise of the planet of the apes, super 8, shutter island, hurt locker, to name a few. They don't even have the fast and the furious

startup8100
02-02-2013, 01:10 PM
i have been using 12hide.com vpn.
works fine for me so far for watching hulu and abc.com

TurboMedic
02-02-2013, 01:15 PM
I've been using HMA, and now that I have my second router set up so my ATV2 can see the US IP its been working great......My real limitation is my crappy distributel internet connection, which is a 5Mbit cable.....I really need to upgrade that when my house is built....

slick2404
02-04-2013, 10:59 AM
I use this google chrome extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-unblocker/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio/related#detail/hola-unblocker/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio/related

Techzilla
03-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

A790
03-02-2013, 05:49 PM
I use unblock us. It's been great so far, had it for 3 months.

3 glorious months of awesome Netflix :D

Sdeibert
03-08-2013, 12:37 PM

It works on iPhones with a jailbreak. You will need GuizmoDNS from Cydia and it will change your dns on 3G, LTE and wifi.

The only problem is that every time you switch from wifi to 3G you will need to update your ip at check.unblock-us.com

It didn't used to be as bad but I think too many people were sharing their unblock accounts so now they ask for your login/pass

n1zm0
03-08-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm just using the DNS change on console and tablet, you guys using unblockus should stop using that lol, dns update is free and gets you the same result :dunno:

schocker
03-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
I'm just using the DNS change on console and tablet, you guys using unblockus should stop using that lol, dns update is free and gets you the same result :dunno:
Do you have a link to this?

UndrgroundRider
03-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
I use this google chrome extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-unblocker/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio/related#detail/hola-unblocker/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio/related

I'm not a huge fan of Hola. There are a lot of security concerns for me, both with random third parties having complete access to all of my internet traffic and also with people routing whatever internet traffic they want through my IP.

Also I'm pretty sure Netflix will be hit or miss with that extension. Your download speed will be limited by the upload speed of whatever peer you end up with, which likely is an issue for streaming video.

codetrap
03-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I've been using unblockus for about a year now. No issues at all. I also use it to access Pandora, hulu and the other US only services. Oh, and the BBC UK stuff too.

flipstah
03-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Oh man, trying out UnblockUs and its awesome! Futurama rules!

Quickstrike
03-13-2013, 09:16 PM

What exactly are you using to replace Unblock-US?

Thanks.

unblockmedia
03-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Edit - no advertising!

We hardly VPN anything, we forge the cookie (oauth) then pass it off to your device. No speed issues as we don't VPN; it's the only way to get super HD.

We also block all ads support every device we can find; and have servers in 10 countries.. It's paying for itself so we will NUP password at some point soon.

Cheers,

sputnik
03-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
I'm not a huge fan of Hola. There are a lot of security concerns for me, both with random third parties having complete access to all of my internet traffic and also with people routing whatever internet traffic they want through my IP.

I have done packet captures to see what Hola is doing and it really only reroutes the initial request for specific sites (Hulu, Pandora, Netflix etc) that handles the location identification.

All other traffic does not go through the Hola network.

This is why it only works for a small handful of sites and not for every site on the Internet.

mobius
03-20-2013, 07:16 AM

It doesn't always quite work that way. I did it that way for awhile, and switched a couple dozen different DNS relays. Some didn't work, and some did work with varying degrees of connection speed/packet loss/dropout issues. IF you find a good DNS relay it can work, but personally I don't mind paying the small fee for stable/consistent, dedicated DNS servers

Manhattan
08-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Complete list of US vs Canadian Netflix content. Literally 3X the content! :eek:

http://netflixcanadavsusa.blogspot.ca/2013/07/alphabetical-list-k-2-pm-wed-jul-24-2013.html#more

MrSector9
08-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Also with unblockus you have the ability to go on there site and change what country you are from, this is good for the things that are only on certain netflix's

Manhattan
08-08-2013, 12:09 PM
A bit off topic but does anyone know if unblockus helps with NBA League Pass? I know a ton of games are blackouts on that service in Canada because of TV rights. Basically any games showing nationally in Canada (Score, Sportsnet, CBC) will be blacked out if you order the service.

Boosted131
08-08-2013, 12:40 PM
I've been using unblockus for a few years now and it's never given an issue. Had American Netflix before it was cool

Transp0rt3r
08-08-2013, 01:40 PM
I am using Media Hint extension for Chrome right now. Works well but the downside is you will have to use Chrome to access netflix.

n1zm0
10-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by schocker

Do you have a link to this?

Originally posted by Quickstrike

What exactly are you using to replace Unblock-US?

Thanks.

Sorry this is an extremely late reply, but I had multiple colleagues ask me how this works and thought I've posted how I've been doing it for almost 2 years now, apparently not.

Originally posted by mobius
It doesn't always quite work that way. I did it that way for awhile, and switched a couple dozen different DNS relays. Some didn't work, and some did work with varying degrees of connection speed/packet loss/dropout issues. IF you find a good DNS relay it can work, but personally I don't mind paying the small fee for stable/consistent, dedicated DNS servers

Idk where you're getting your primary and secondary DNS #s from but the ones I've come across have been up for a very extended period, the only exception is when netflix needs an update, I usually just go find new IPs, with extreme ease. I set my father's PS3 to yankee netflix before the summer and it worked until the last update which was probably 2 weeks ago iirc.

PS3/XBOX/WII/Android/IOS all work, I've tried it on all of them, the simplest way I can explain it is: network settings>usually something that says manual settings entry> when it comes to DNS, enter the Primary and Secondary selected IPs.

Where do you find these IPs?
Goto youtube, type in 'american netflix' as a generic search, filter to most recent 'how to videos' they will usually list off a large number of valid IPs in the description nowadays and it doesn't matter which medium of electronic you're using, they should all work provided you enter them in the correct slot.

Likewise there is a certain specific website that has regular updates on available DNS codes, in blog format, the comments are real-time so you get feedback of those checking in that a certain DNS set works in their location within Canada.

I'm not making it up (look at the youtube videos for 'american netflix'), I honestly haven't used unblock-us or anything like that for american netflix for almost 2 years now.

edit: for PC I used an IP changer, forgot the name, but it works without changing router settings, I rarely watch netflix off PC though.

powerslave
10-25-2013, 11:25 AM

edit: for PC I used an IP changer, forgot the name, but it works without changing router settings, I rarely watch netflix off PC though.

An even easier way for PC access to US Netflix (for Firefox and Chrome), is the MediaHint add-on.

adamc
10-25-2013, 03:01 PM
+1 for Media Hint

Works flawlessly in Chrome with zero slowdown.
Only wish it was easily to toggle from the main browser window, but if you're not switching from U.S. to Canada often, it's not a big deal.

Kavy
10-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Still using unblockus, I love that I can change the Netflix country instantly and get new options on the devices (Bluray Players are setup as unblock media players as Canada) I have using the DNS this comes in super handy.

I use moreflics.com to browse for the movie I want then just change my unblockus to the country its available it and start watching. Brazil Netflix has an amazing catalog of recent movies and I have been on that for a few weeks now.

Maxt
10-25-2013, 09:12 PM
I bought the surf easy stick.. works well with netflix and hulu.. Also can switch to UK Netflix to .

sk8r3124
10-30-2013, 01:43 PM

Idk where you're getting your primary and secondary DNS #s from but the ones I've come across have been up for a very extended period, the only exception is when netflix needs an update, I usually just go find new IPs, with extreme ease. I set my father's PS3 to yankee netflix before the summer and it worked until the last update which was probably 2 weeks ago iirc.

PS3/XBOX/WII/Android/IOS all work, I've tried it on all of them, the simplest way I can explain it is: network settings>usually something that says manual settings entry> when it comes to DNS, enter the Primary and Secondary selected IPs.

Where do you find these IPs?
Goto youtube, type in 'american netflix' as a generic search, filter to most recent 'how to videos' they will usually list off a large number of valid IPs in the description nowadays and it doesn't matter which medium of electronic you're using, they should all work provided you enter them in the correct slot.

Likewise there is a certain specific website that has regular updates on available DNS codes, in blog format, the comments are real-time so you get feedback of those checking in that a certain DNS set works in their location within Canada.

Did this last night, and it worked.

Is it acceptable to have considerable streaming issues?
Prior to changing the settings, I was getting full strength HD (Wired Connection), but after I reroute the DNS setting, I consistantly hold one bar, and have brief periods of two bar signal strength. I don't think I can handle always having grainy picture quality.

Do you encounter this situation?

Isaiah
10-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

I use moreflics.com to browse for the movie I want then just change my unblockus to the country its available it and start watching. Brazil Netflix has an amazing catalog of recent movies and I have been on that for a few weeks now.
Moreflicks.com is free and a terrific complement to Unblock-us and Netflix. To clarify what Kavy said, you go to the site and type in any show or movie that you want to watch. If it is on any Netflix stream, it will show you which one so you just change your Unblock-us and watch whatever you want.

As he said, there are many new movies that don't come out on either Canadian or US Netflix but you can find they stream them to other countries.

n1zm0
10-30-2013, 02:55 PM
^I'll have to check that out, i've used a UK DNS once and there was certainly different stuff I didn't regularily see on the CDN or US Netflix.

Originally posted by sk8r3124

Did this last night, and it worked.

Is it acceptable to have considerable streaming issues?
Prior to changing the settings, I was getting full strength HD (Wired Connection), but after I reroute the DNS setting, I consistantly hold one bar, and have brief periods of two bar signal strength. I don't think I can handle always having grainy picture quality.

Do you encounter this situation?

Occasionally in the past I had it grainy at the very beginning then it would buffer out to HD always. Now the tablet, smartphone, consoles all perform flawlessly.

I'm not sure what the specific issue is for you, are you talking signal bars on your phone or tablet?

Mitsu3000gt
10-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know if the WDTV Live gets Super HD support? Or should I just use my PS3 (which is supported for sure)?

Also is unblock-us better or worse than Unblockmedia? Or are they exactly the same?

One last question, if I set my DNS by device, rather than in my router, will there be any slowdown to the internet speeds to all my other non-netflix devices?

sk8r3124
10-30-2013, 04:01 PM
^I'll have to check that out, i've used a UK DNS once and there was certainly different stuff I didn't regularily see on the CDN or US Netflix.

Occasionally in the past I had it grainy at the very beginning then it would buffer out to HD always. Now the tablet, smartphone, consoles all perform flawlessly.

I'm not sure what the specific issue is for you, are you talking signal bars on your phone or tablet?

Signal on the XBOX, when you pause, it is in the top left corner. I am pretty impatient, maybe I will just pause and let it buffer.

n1zm0
10-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

One last question, if I set my DNS by device, rather than in my router, will there be any slowdown to the internet speeds to all my other non-netflix devices?

I have had torrents going while Netflix is running, no lasting impact perhaps about 30secs of grain in the beginning then it smooths out.

Gman.45
10-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Using cntrl+alt+shift+S in Netflix you can see the rate at which you're viewing, and if you use the Win8 app or a device that allows "Super HD" while using the unblock-us service, it will show up to 5800kpbs, which is "super hd". 3000 is they usual "HD" in Netflix in a regular browser or non super hd capable device.

I think cntrl + alt +shft +D gives you more info on rates as well, so you can check and see what's happening if you get a grainy screen.

I use Win8 only on my home theater PC, and that's because it's the only way to use the Super HD rates on a PC right now with unblock US. See, even those Shaw isn't peering with Netflix for the 5800kpbs rates, you can get around this by using unblock US, something I'm sure is pissing Shaw off a lot, as it's a lot more bandwidth, but hey, I'm paying for the 250mbit, so tough shit card Shaw IMO, as I never go over it, even with 3 TV's using netflix, one of which is a Samsung Smart TV which allows super HD rates as well when using the DNS servers from unblock/us.

Thanks for the moreflicks.com tips guys, I always have just searched manually through all the countries available, this is going to save me a TON of time and aggravation. Many thanks.

One tip I can give is that while using unblock, if you get a grainy low rate screen and it won't sync up to a higher rate, this is a known issue if you read through their tech help section, and if you close out and reboot your browser/app and try viewing the program again, using the cntrl alt shft s to check and see your rate, it'll often just fix itself after a few tries, and go into 1700 which is regular, 3000 which is HD, or 5800 super hd, depending on what is available with each program, as only newer stuff and select older stuff has super or even regular HD available.

Also, if you're using 5800 super hd through the Netflix Win8 app, or a smart TV or blue ray/gaming device that allows you to view the program at max HD, you can often click the "languages" button, and find that the 5.1 option is available on most of these programs, and you have to click it to enable it. This seems to make the volume control in Netflix app not work, so I just use my TV/Sound system volume to control it when viewing in 5.1 for now, until I figure out how to fix this. The sound is MUCH better in 5.1 on Netflix.

With a 240hz or even 120hz LED LCD with 5.1 sound and 5800 bit rate running from Netflix, it's a close to Blu Ray as you can get in my opinion, very, very close in terms of quality and sound.

Mitsu3000gt
10-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Gman.45
With a 240hz or even 120hz LED LCD with 5.1 sound and 5800 bit rate running from Netflix, it's a close to Blu Ray as you can get in my opinion, very, very close in terms of quality and sound.

Unless they are sending uncompressed DTS Master HD/ Dolby True HD audio streams, the sound won't compare to a BluRay :). I think that would take way too much bandwidth. I am curious to see a Super HD stream though, I am going to try it through my PS3 tonight, it apparently supports the Super HD. My main complaint about Netflix to date was no 1080P. I can live with standard DD/DTS 5.1.

Is there a way to tell what quality/bitrate you're getting using a PS3 or WDTV rather than a PC?

Gman.45
10-31-2013, 11:35 AM
I believe you hit the select button on the controller with the PS3 in order to see detailed streaming info on screen. And you're correct, the sound isn't as good as blu ray, I'm talking more about the video stream/bit rate at 5800. That said, the sound difference from regular Netflix audio which is all users that have a browser can hear to the Win8 Netflix app's 5.1 is huge.

Mitsu3000gt
10-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Gman.45
I believe you hit the select button on the controller with the PS3 in order to see detailed streaming info on screen. And you're correct, the sound isn't as good as blu ray, I'm talking more about the video stream/bit rate at 5800. That said, the sound difference from regular Netflix audio which is all users that have a browser can hear to the Win8 Netflix app's 5.1 is huge.

Interesting. How is it getting better sound than say, my PS3 or WDTV running the Netflix app?

The Audio comes through on my receiver as "Dolby Digital Plus" currently.

blairtruck
10-31-2013, 12:59 PM
damn im using browser on win 7 to stream us netflix.
if i had win 8 and the appit would be better audio im reading?
i dont use netflix all that much, maybe twice a week. but better sound is worth it to me.

Gman.45
10-31-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure with the PS3, as I've never used one for Netflix.

With a regular browser, you don't get the option to change the audio. Example, say i Firefox/CHrome/etc, if I open up a movie in Netflix, say Stargate Continuum, there is no option for Super HD or for 5.1 sound.

When I open it with the Win8 Netflix App, in the information before I launch the movie, it shows SUPER HD in large letters and shows the Dolby symbol with 5.1.

When you launch the movie/show in the Win8 app, unless you manually adjust the bitrate, it'll spool up to 5800 or super hd automatically, however you HAVE to click the language button manually, and there you'll see "Stereo Digital Sound" checked, as well as another line above it that says "Dolby 5.1 Sound". When you check this box, the playing stops and sort of does a quick pause and the screen blacks out for a couple of seconds, then resumes, and the sound is now in 5.1. 5.1 sound does NOT automatically come on, you have to enable it every single time you launch a new film or show in the Netflix Win8 app, which is the opposite of the video stream, if I don't want to use 5800 say for bandwidth issues, I have to actually manually go in and disable it to whatever stream rate I desire.

It may be that the PS3 player automatically selects 5.1, just like the Win8 app automatically selects the best HD or SUPER HD stream available, again, I'm not sure as I don't have a PS3. If you check in languages once you have super hd running on the PS3, you should see in the box right next to captions the stereo and 5.1 as two separate checkable boxes if it works as it does in Win8.

Blairtruck, that is precisely the case, and the only reason I upgraded my home theater PC to Win8, as I generally like Win7 as my other PC's are all gaming boxes. Luckily, both MemEx builds came with a 15$ coupon to upgrade to Win8, which I used on my HTPC instead. You can google it, there is a lot of Windows users complaining that the Netflix App is only available via Win8. Also, be aware, that if you're in Alberta, there is NO internet providers that I know of peering with Netflix for the Super HD bandwidth, so you have to use a DNS service like unblock-US to provide you the ability to get the Super HD stream. So, bottom line, if using regular browser based viewing for Netflix, and you want to see Super HD and hear 5.1, you need to upgrade to Win8, and subscribe to unblock-US. I'm not sure if the other DNS providers allows Super HD or not, as I've only used Unblock for the last 2 or 3 years now.

The other option is buy a device that will allow Super HD, the PS3 is one, I believe the Roku and certain blu ray will allow it. I know for a fact that the Samsung Smart TV app allows Super HD as well, as my bedroom TV is a Samsung Smart 120hz TV, and I can see Super Hd and 5.1 using unblock on it.

rage2
10-31-2013, 04:47 PM
AppleTV has SuperHD support for Netflix too. Quality is OK, it's no Bluray that's for sure. Itunes HD streams come close to Bluray.

sxtasy
10-31-2013, 06:00 PM
I watch Netflix through xbox. For American content, just go into network settings and change your dns codes. Pick a set from this list:

Primary:192.95.16.109
Secondary:0.0.0.0

176 58 107 53
158 255 215 175

Gman.45
10-31-2013, 06:10 PM
I've never tried iTunes, but I see that their HD stream maxes out at 25 mbits...I may give it a whirl today.

I just hate their prices, who the hell is going to pay 2.99 for a single episode of TV they can get for free almost on Netflix. Retarded.

Perhaps some of the new movies coming out will be worth it from iTunes, like I said, I've never tried it do to the price being ridiculous for most things.

rage2
10-31-2013, 07:11 PM
Their movie selection is awesome. You don't have to buy the movies, you can rent too. I think I've only bought a small handful of TV seasons for shows that aren't on Netflix or Hulu.

powerslave
02-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by powerslave

An even easier way for PC access to US Netflix (for Firefox and Chrome), is the MediaHint add-on.

Bumping this!

Some weeks ago MedaiHint stopped working for me. What are people using nowadays on their PCs to access US Netflix?

Lustypad
02-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Hola is similar to Mediahint by the sounds of it. It works great never had a problem with netflix or with spotify before it came to canada.

l/l/rX
02-21-2015, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Lustypad
Hola is similar to Mediahint by the sounds of it. It works great never had a problem with netflix or with spotify before it came to canada.

reading the reviews, this app appears to have stopped working for netflix.

buh_buh
02-22-2015, 12:27 AM
Seems like my US Netflix stopped working with Unotelly too.
BBC iplayer and Pandora still works though

syscal
02-22-2015, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Seems like my US Netflix stopped working with Unotelly too.
BBC iplayer and Pandora still works though

no issues with any netflix countries through unotelly here

powerslave
02-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Update - currently using Zenmate, it works, although it may not be free or have unlimited data for long. The disclaimer states something along the lines of "enjoy unlimited data during our launch phase."

sillysod
02-25-2015, 05:09 PM
I still use unblockUS. been using it for years and it works quietly in the background.

I messed with a few other services but it would end up in me trying to talk my wife through troubleshooting when I am out of town somewhere.

Maybe cheaper services, but I like that it always just works.

Sugarphreak
02-25-2015, 05:19 PM

Seth1968
02-26-2015, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
I still use unblockUS. been using it for years and it works quietly in the background.

I messed with a few other services but it would end up in me trying to talk my wife through troubleshooting when I am out of town somewhere.

Maybe cheaper services, but I like that it always just works.

This.

The free stuff comes at a price.

Pay for UBU, or be done with old white man.

codetrap
02-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
This.

The free stuff comes at a price.

Pay for UBU, or be done with old white man. Internet Words of Wisdom. "If you're not paying for it, YOU are the product."