drewb
08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Which do you prefer and why?

jdmXSI
08-14-2012, 11:16 PM
New or preowned?

ddduke
08-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Had one of each and just sold the 5 series. Now I'm sticking with the M.

IMO the M is way more user friendly and is a way better bang for your buck. Idrive is shit and a pain to use/navigate (even when you're used to it), m is easy and once you get used to it you don't even have to think.

M also has way more standard options. When I compare a 2010 m45 to a 2010 545, I'm actually blown away by how much more you get from infiniti.

M has way better resale down the road.

The only thing that I'll give the 5 series is that it's way more of a drivers car and is a lot more fun to drive.

EDIT: One big downside is that Hyatt is a bunch of fuckers and a huge PITA to deal with

K3RMiTdot
08-14-2012, 11:31 PM
ive driven both, not extensivly but i say the current gen of the infiniti M, then again im bias because i love it and want one

The interior is one of the nicest ive seen, although a lot of button way better to toggling around a nob.

http://swipe.swipelife.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Infiniti-M-5.jpg

http://www.auto-power-girl.com/high-resolution-wallpapers/2012-bmw-5-series-active-hybrid-5/2012-bmw-5-series-active-hybrid-5-4.jpg

spacerz
08-15-2012, 12:09 AM
I haven't owned either, but the newest generation Infinity M56s is an incredibly pretty car in terms of exterior styling.

schocker
08-15-2012, 12:49 AM
I am Infiniti fan #1 but depending on price I prefer the BMW. F10 just looks awesome but on their Canadian website appears to only be available in awd here? Love the new Infiniti though. Much much nicer interior and styling than the last generation. M37 money I would go for that, but M56 money I prefer the BMW. Over an E60 though I would prefer the Infiniti.

HiSpec
08-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Not a fan of the 4-spokes steering wheel design of the Infiniti M, aside from that I believe the M is the way to go.

vtec4life
08-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by schocker
I am Infiniti fan #1 but depending on price I prefer the BMW. F10 just looks awesome but on their Canadian website appears to only be available in awd here? Love the new Infiniti though. Much much nicer interior and styling than the last generation. M37 money I would go for that, but M56 money I prefer the BMW. Over an E60 though I would prefer the Infiniti.

The F10's definitely come in RWD. It's a beamer!! You can even get them with a 6MT in the 535i, I think the 550i is only auto but the 8 speed transmission is fantastic.

I'm not sure how the pricing is on the infiniti but without knowing your hot buttons it would be hard to say which one to go for.

BMW = ultimate DRIVING experience

Infiniti = luxury/comfort first, driving experience second.

schocker
08-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by vtec4life
The F10's definitely come in RWD. It's a beamer!! You can even get them with a 6MT in the 535i, I think the 550i is only auto but the 8 speed transmission is fantastic.

Check bmw.ca, it only shows xdrive models when you go to build it, american website has both. Not sure why it is :dunno:

vtec4life
08-15-2012, 11:01 AM
That is odd... The first run of the F10's that came to Canada were ONLY rear wheel drive.. the X-drives came later on.

Evo prec
08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
That is odd... The first run of the F10's that came to Canada were ONLY rear wheel drive.. the X-drives came later on.

This is how every bmw model usually comes when first released

ddduke
08-15-2012, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure how the pricing is on the infiniti but without knowing your hot buttons it would be hard to say which one to go for.

BMW = ultimate DRIVING experience

Infiniti = luxury/comfort first, driving experience second.

QFT, bmw drives so much better but infiniti is so much more luxurious.

I was at infiniti looking at the 2013 m56, they haven't come out yet but the sales person was able to give me the pricing for them. I'm looking at a 2013 m56 with tech package, factory lip kit and gloss black wheels, cost is right around $83k + taxes, pdi, etc.

What does Bmw offer for that price range? That may be something to look at.

colinxx235
08-15-2012, 11:56 AM
^

Mid 80's is the price of a fully loaded 550 ix sedan according to the websites.... Might be a tad more.

vtec4life
08-15-2012, 12:16 PM
A fully loaded 550i x drive will set you back over 90K all in. Do you need awd? Fully loaded is subjective in the BMW world though... everything is an option. night vision/lane departure/active cruise control etc etc. Really depends if you want or need that stuff.

The only option I would care about is M-Sport!! Gotta get the M-Sport package hands down. Usually in order to get the M-Sport package you have to get some sort of executive package along with it.

incredible car to drive though... if you havent gone yet i would suggest doing so. 450 lb/ft of smooth ashpalt raping torque.

The interior is pretty nice on the new 5's. if you somehow have a chance to see it at night thats when it really shows beautifully. Its gorgeous inside at night time when everything is lit up. Even walking up to the car at night time it has those lights that come down from the door handles.. sexy.

83K on an infiniti......... I don't think I'd be able to do it. Just the fact that its a nissan. Dont get me wrong I like infiniti a lot and think that pre-owned Infiniti's are good value but 83 big ones for a nissan sedan doesnt sit right!

Redlyne_mr2
08-15-2012, 12:19 PM
You can special order the F10's in manual RWD.

The 528's with M sport are an awesome option as well, 4 cyl turbo, 8 speed auto or manual option.

The 5 is a better car than the M in every way. Infiniti has always had issues selling the M. It's a good car but it lacks many things that the euro equivalents have.

msommers
08-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Such as?

Ntense_SpecV
08-15-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say things like 'feel' and 'driving dynamics'. On paper they sure look pretty damn close, and I really like the exterior looks of the M, but if I'm dropping 90k on a car it would also be a BMW.

flipstah
08-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Judging from the pics alone, that Infiniti interior can't be beat.

I never liked the BMW interior; so simplistic.

20incheyes
08-15-2012, 01:17 PM
The first time I drove a 5series was 1997 and it really impressed me then, however when the 2004 model was introduced I wasn't too thrilled and never really paid attention to them lately.

But let me tell you when I got my F10 I still had my carrera and the BMW is actually more fun to drive. It just puts a damn smile on my face bigger then any of my porsches ever did. My father in law has a 2010ish M Infiiniti. I've only driven it once but had a few rides to airport in it and I'm always curious why he ended up buying it :dunno:

ddduke
08-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The 5 is a better car than the M in every way. Infiniti has always had issues selling the M. It's a good car but it lacks many things that the euro equivalents have.

Coming from a bmw salesman.

The bmw is definitely not superior in every way. While it drives and handles much better, the infiniti is way more comfortable, user friendly and MUCH more luxurious.

I also like that the m is understated and unless you`re in the market for one then you probably don`t know that it`s an 80k+ vehicle. While I love the bmw, I think it screams douche and `look at me, i can afford a bmw` while the infiniti is much classier.

redline
08-15-2012, 06:56 PM
I was just shopping this market and my farther-in-law bought the 535xi. he is not a sports car guy and loved the BMW.

Sales were too low on the rear drive models in Canada so BMW dropped them from this market.

My vote is BMW!!!

CanmoreOrLess
08-15-2012, 06:57 PM
I am with ddduke 100%. As well, BMW drivers never get any love or wave ins. It's a fact. Get an Infiniti and march to your own drum. I love the QX as well, so flame me one and all.

Redlyne_mr2
08-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Coming from a bmw salesman.

The bmw is definitely not superior in every way. While it drives and handles much better, the infiniti is way more comfortable, user friendly and MUCH more luxurious.

I also like that the m is understated and unless you`re in the market for one then you probably don`t know that it`s an 80k+ vehicle. While I love the bmw, I think it screams douche and `look at me, i can afford a bmw` while the infiniti is much classier.

Im not a BMW salesman. I just know and love cars.

sillysod
08-16-2012, 08:41 AM
AWD BMW sedan is like buying a FWD Audi imo.

The balance on my wifes E60 is fantastic, the x-drive felt totally different and numb.

btimbit
08-16-2012, 11:02 AM
BMW is a better drivers car, Infiniti is a better riders car.

They're both beautifully made, but the Infiniti would be a nicer place to be stuck in traffic, while the BMW would be nicer to be whizzing along.

I'd go with the BMW myself, but if it was for my girlfriend, mother, whatever, I'd recommend the Infiniti

hctu
08-16-2012, 04:28 PM

BMW - because the drive is better. I'd rather have that than a bit more luxurious. I'll vote for the M when I'm old.

Also, I don't think the M is classier because it's understated. It just means that most don't know anything about it even though its an $80k car. If I'm paying that much for a vehicle, I wouldn't care what people think - because I'm sure most newer German car owners get the same look - or else I'd get a Toyota or Honda.

you&me
08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
$90k for a loaded 550xi or $83k for a loaded M56X is insane... Used F10 M5s are starting to pop up in that range... There are a lot of left over 2012 M5s at BMW dealers and you can expect rebates soon as the 13s are arriving. If you're willing to spend that kind of money, might as well get the "big boy" ride :D

redline
08-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by you&me
... Used F10 M5s are starting to pop up in that range... There are a lot of left over 2012 M5s at BMW dealers and you can expect rebates soon as the 13s are arriving. :D

QFT there are used F10 M5???? They have been out for two months....

black13
08-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I'd get the infiniti for the luxury factor and it'll be less common to see any around while BMW's are on every street these days it seems.

sneek
08-16-2012, 08:45 PM
It really depends on your priorities. The M offers a lot of value and luxury. The multimedia system is decades ahead of BMW's "improved iDrive". That said I would still by the F10. I really feel like the car has the spirit of the E39, but more refined. If you are looking used E60 5 Series vs the M...I would get the M. For some reason the E60 never put that stupid grin on my face like most bimmers do.

you&me
08-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by redline

QFT there are used F10 M5???? They have been out for two months....

The timing of release was strange on them... The first cars arrived around the end of April as MY2012, which is late, but not too strange. Unfortunately for the buyers of the 12s, BMW started taking orders for the 2013s in early June and those have been arriving for a while now...

So, the 2012s are likely to take a decent hit, because they're a year old in 3 months. :nut:

A friend ordered a 13 that's set to arrive in a few weeks... He got 5% off list (there's about 8% profit in them, not including hold backs, etc)... So, if you can get ~$6k off on a new 2013, how much less should a used 2012 be with 5,000km... Puts it right in line with a new 550... An easy decision if you ask me.

heavyD
08-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Not sure why anyone would choose a luxury Nissan over a BMW. I realize Nissan puts effort into the M series but their regular cars are so mediocre that I could never pony up that money for one of their products.

The older gentleman that bought my OEM Mustang P-Zero tires was putting them on his M45 to make it easier to sell because he said he was having a hell of a time trying to sell the car for market value. Said he would never buy one again because of the poor resale compared to what he paid new.

vtec4life
08-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by you&me
$90k for a loaded 550xi or $83k for a loaded M56X is insane... Used F10 M5s are starting to pop up in that range... There are a lot of left over 2012 M5s at BMW dealers and you can expect rebates soon as the 13s are arriving. If you're willing to spend that kind of money, might as well get the "big boy" ride :D

So people are selling their 4 month old F10 M5's? come on man. Theres not a single one on auto trader. Except for brand new 2012's

That being said.. a brand new M5 can be had for 105-115K (base)

Save up for a bit longer? :bigpimp:

Mitsu3000gt
08-17-2012, 09:37 AM
The OP still hasn't told us new or used...

Anyways I've driven both cars quite a bit, and I wold take the BMW every day of the week. It's built better and drives better. Everything just feels better.

The resale on the M is pretty bad. Not many people know what it is, and even fewer buy them. They are still good cars though, so this makes them a bargain on the used market.

A M56 with every option box checked is $93,667, and a loaded 550Xi is $94,246 (not sure if that includes tax, so call it $98K). It is a no-brainer to go with the BMW and the TT V8 IMO.

However if what is posted above is true and you can get a base M5 for $105K, you would be fully retarded if you spent $93K on a M56 IMO.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I would definitely go for the BMW, you see a lot more of them around for good reason.

r3ccOs
08-17-2012, 01:29 PM
have you guys sat in an infinity recently? I've been in a EX, G and M in the last few months, and there is no way that it compares in terms of feel...

sure they're superficial attributes, but I found knobs, handles, doors, hood etc.. to feel sturdier in a BMW (which I attest is only the X series I tried) compared to Infinity, and heck even Lexus

With becomming a BMW owner comes with the connotation and stigma of being a pretencious douchebag who is just peacocking

that being said, BMW, though still very pragmatic, makes innovative, high performing, functional and reliable vehicles which warrants its price... the same can be said with Merc, Audi and the like

Infinity and Acura are by no means bad products, but in my book, compared to the VAG/Merc/BMW stuff, they're just not in the same league, though the MSRP reflects that they are.

I think Infinty and Acura have their place, they are well designed, well built vehicles... but the Japanese have a different throught philosophy to building their vehicles than the Germans.
I could be wrong, but based on my quality training, Japanese vehicles are still built with defining "reliability" through simplicity and repeatability.
I find also Nissan/Yota/Honda tend to providing "features" that will "match" industry standard, but will not often bring any new level of innovation that BMW/Merc/VAG does. (i.e. twin scroll, DSG, hybrid/diesel, safety designs)

oh, and now I'm a new Volvo driver, which I think is built just as well, but really without any stereotypes (other than being old man and slow)

w_man
08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
EDIT: One big downside is that Hyatt is a bunch of fuckers and a huge PITA to deal with

+1

you&me
08-19-2012, 10:12 AM

So people are selling their 4 month old F10 M5's? come on man. Theres not a single one on auto trader. Except for brand new 2012's

That being said.. a brand new M5 can be had for 105-115K (base)

Save up for a bit longer? :bigpimp:

There's a white 2012 in Regina (at $107 - too much) and, though not on the trader, a Black car with 1,000km in Toronto that can be had for $95 (maybe better).

The first 2012 in Calgary has already changed hands in the $90s as well. BMW pissed off a lot of customers by delivery 2012s only months before the 2013s landed... Think about it - in only 4 months, your big-money car becomes "last year's model". Cars at this price point depreciate enough as it is. You don't need the manufacturer rushing out next years inventory to hasten the process.

My advice would be to wait another month or so until the 2013s are commonly available. At that time, any left over new 2012s will receive a discount and any used 2012 will subsequently depreciate that much more...

Lubu
08-21-2012, 04:03 AM
I agree with black123, The newer BMW's post E46s are like Taxi's now. You see them everywhere. When I was bored the other day on the way home from work, I thought I would count the number of BMW's I could see on the road from downtown to my home. I counted 14 :rolleyes:

Reminds me of some asian countries where you see Mercedes and BMW taxi's. :rolleyes:

VWEvo
08-21-2012, 07:38 AM
5 series > M

But I guess I'm biased ;)

CanmoreOrLess
08-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I would definitely go for the BMW, you see a lot more of them around for good reason.

Do you hold the same opinion when it comes to McDonald's, Tim's, Starbucks, etc. or just when it comes to vehicles? Just kidding here, these are first world issues selecting between premium vehicles, hard to go wrong.

I think the OP has done a post and run.

drewb
08-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Do you hold the same opinion when it comes to McDonald's, Tim's, Starbucks, etc. or just when it comes to vehicles? Just kidding here, these are first world issues selecting between premium vehicles, hard to go wrong.

I think the OP has done a post and run.

I just thought it would be interesting to see beyond's opinion on these two vehicles.