PDA

View Full Version : Enmax bill for Aug/12

Kritafo
08-15-2012, 10:26 AM
our electric was 314 with nobody home most days and our central air not running. Crazy! anyone else's bill go way up...it's double what is normally is. We ran some fans until the air conditioner was fixed near the end of July during the evenings.

Tik-Tok
08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Were previous months estimated, and they finally came to check the real meter reading?

Kritafo
08-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I am just going to take a peek.

Here is the last few months: all actuals. I am guessing it's just the fans...crazy.

228.81 may bill

217.14 June bill

225.83 July bill

339.71 August bill

guess we better get back on the program and make sure everything is not running etc. those are crazy for us.

Tik-Tok
08-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Floating elec. rate is also up almost 50% from June.

Glad I locked in at 8 cents.

SOAB
08-15-2012, 11:09 AM
same here. had 7 cents for 5 years and just resigned for 8cents.

Kritafo
08-15-2012, 11:16 AM
I am not sure why my husband hasn't locked in a rate...I guess he likes paying the extra. Crazy!

adam c
08-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Mine doubled from last bill
We somehow got charged for gas even though the furnace has been off and our water tank is electric

colinderksen
08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
$274.82 for gas/elec/sewer/water(all utilities) in a 1400 sq' house. With underground sprinklers running for 20 minutes each day, AC set at 20* without moving it, 1 load of laundry/day, one dishwasher cycle/day. 2 adults living here.

Kritafo
08-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by colinderksen
$274.82 for gas/elec/sewer/water(all utilities) in a 1400 sq' house. With underground sprinklers running for 20 minutes each day, AC set at 20* without moving it, 1 load of laundry/day, one dishwasher cycle/day. 2 adults living here.

we are 1800 sq' house 2 adults 2 teens, dishwasher 1x/day laundry 1x/day A/C 20.5 and computers on and off throughout the day. Sprinklers about 5 mins/day. We have no grass to water just the garden and we have 3 rain barrels, don't use my dryer most of the summer only to fluff the towels.

We were just talking and we have to lock into a rate We are extremely careful with the electric other than the A/C in the summer and July was a right off since it wasn't cooling we needed freon. Our house is 12 years old. It's seeing all the admin and service fees that just about send me around the bend. We were on a flat water rate until a year ago.

lasimmon
08-15-2012, 07:14 PM
$41 electric bill.. 1200 sq ft condo.. Yehhhhh

colinderksen
08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
High efficiency light bulbs have brought down our elec portion of the bill, tough to justify with some of those bulbs being $35/bulb. But we can see it on the bills for sure. All appliances, windows and such are high efficiency, biggest help is that the utilities in The Hat are very reasonable.

Hard pill to swallow when we first moved in and it was really hot down here and I was watering twice a day. We/I used 65 cubes of water through the underground sprinklers.......

Does Calgary have a "Smart program"? We have one here so if you buy anything high efficiency you get a rebate as well as you take your receipt down to city hall and get a scratch card. You can a scratch a certain % off your next utility bill.

Cos
08-15-2012, 09:24 PM

Darell_n
08-15-2012, 09:32 PM
That's crazy high. My last bill was $27 for 348 kWh with the a/c cranked up in the house and in my shop.

Kritafo
08-15-2012, 09:41 PM
I will get my husband to get the info, we get the e-post billing. It will be morning for sure when I get the info though, he is working through the evening tonight and must have done his monthly password change lol as I can't login.

We are in Calgary.

someone mentioned energy efficient appliances. We have them all! lol. I leave nothing plugged in that doesn't need to be and all computers are on a power bar so off is really off. We do the same for the only TV in the house. All bulbs were changed over years ago as were the kitchen fixtures are all energy efficient fluorescents. But I truly think it's the rate we pay and not consumption if rates changed. But thanks all!

Cos
08-15-2012, 10:04 PM

Cos
08-17-2012, 07:10 AM

DENZILDON
08-17-2012, 08:03 AM
You want to know where the elec is going?

Try to get something like this...

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0528851P/blue-planet-blue-planet-electronic-energy-meter-reviews/reviews.htm

Looks like Canadian tire doesn't have it anymore but its still in the reviews section.

nzwasp
08-17-2012, 08:17 AM
I have one of these for my computer usage because its on all day long every day - the meter tells me that I use about 30$ of power on it per month.

I find that the electricity and gas arent really too bad on my bill, water, waste water is getting expensive.

Kritafo
08-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Were you able to get the bill? My offer still stands.

we had a messed up night and evening with some medical issues and I haven't had a chance. I hope everything settles down and I will get the info to you before the end of the weekend. TY!

masoncgy
08-18-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't miss the expensive electricity in Calgary at all.

The highest monthly bill I have ever had with BC Hydro is $210 and that was January/February 2011 when it is the coldest on the Island. That covers everything too... my whole house runs on electricity... hot water, heat, etc.

My last bill was $86.00 (July 2012). It is normally cheaper but it has been a blistering hot summer and the fans and such are working overtime.

One of the few benefits to living here. Electricity, water & sewer costs are dirt cheap. I pay $100 for metered water, sewer & garbage collection quarterly. I think I paid $100 a month for water & sewer in Calgary and I use way more water out here.

Cos
08-18-2012, 04:20 PM

masoncgy
08-18-2012, 04:37 PM
$13-$15 depending on how empty the BBQ tank is. :)

I have no gas fired appliances in my house. Everything is electric. It's cheap.

nzwasp
08-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Well I just got my july bill and it was $240. I dont have aircon. Most $95 of the bill was water usage and waste water, I think because I had a leak in the sprinkler system. I think power came to $50 and Gas usage around $30.

My electricity is locked at 8c per kwh, Gas is floating rate.

colinderksen
08-24-2012, 08:16 AM
What is the going rate for heating oil out east these days?

dibbz
09-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Not sure what the going rate is, but I just got hit with a RIDICULOUS bill from Enmax. I just moved into my new build condo downtown, and I got my first full month bill from Enmax which was $1100!!!! Somehow the meter recorded that I used 7000kWh this past month! I'm not even home half the time (work up north 7/7 shift).

Has anyone dealt with Enmax regarding meter issues? They can't investigate the meter for a while (rep said 2 billing cycles)

Cos
09-05-2012, 04:11 PM

DENZILDON
09-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by dibbz
Not sure what the going rate is, but I just got hit with a RIDICULOUS bill from Enmax. I just moved into my new build condo downtown, and I got my first full month bill from Enmax which was $1100!!!! Somehow the meter recorded that I used 7000kWh this past month! I'm not even home half the time (work up north 7/7 shift).

Has anyone dealt with Enmax regarding meter issues? They can't investigate the meter for a while (rep said 2 billing cycles)

Check your invoices and see if the readings has an A or an E.

E=Estimate
A=Actual

You could also check with your condo board if you can access you meter and see what the reading is.

Possible issues would be
Wrong read
No access to the meter thus estimated reads
You are billing on the wrong meter

Is this a brand new building?

dibbz
09-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Yup this is a brand new building (Luna). I checked the meter, and the reading does match up with numbers on the bill. There are a few issues I have:

1. The meter # on the meter itself doesn't match the meter number on my bill. The only way to identify it was that someone with a marker wrote all the unit numbers by the meters. (But circuit breaker beside the meter does power off my suite)

2. Since the last meter reading by Enmax (Aug 6) I have only used about 150kWh (as of today). I haven't changed any of my habits, and only found out about this bill today.

Anyway they have put my account on hold until the investigation is over which from what they said will take until early October before I hear anything.

EDIT: The readings were Actual readings for my latest bill.

Cos
09-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Graham_A_M
09-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
$41 electric bill.. 1200 sq ft condo.. Yehhhhh
Word, mines $28. hahaha. SUCKAZ!!

dibbz
09-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Cos
They may have been using your meter for construction power.

That is entirely possible. According to the Enmax bill they checked the meter at the beginning of July and then at the end of August. Actually now that I think of it the reading from early July was 19828.711kWh. That makes no sense because the meter doesn't display decimal units. The only other explanation is that the July reading was an estimate and the August reading was an actual reading.

The other thing is that my meter is different from everyone else's. From looking at a few electric closests when I was trying to find my meter I found that it was different from everyone else's (model, manufacturer, and of course the Enmax meter # which is different from my bill). Plus everyone has way lower usage than me. The most I saw was 9000kWh (Total).

It bothers me that there is almost nothing I can do, but wait until they come and check the meter. Also that they won't let me know anything until after it's done.

DENZILDON
09-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Yup this is a brand new building (Luna). I checked the meter, and the reading does match up with numbers on the bill. There are a few issues I have:

1. The meter # on the meter itself doesn't match the meter number on my bill. The only way to identify it was that someone with a marker wrote all the unit numbers by the meters. (But circuit breaker beside the meter does power off my suite)

2. Since the last meter reading by Enmax (Aug 6) I have only used about 150kWh (as of today). I haven't changed any of my habits, and only found out about this bill today.

Anyway they have put my account on hold until the investigation is over which from what they said will take until early October before I hear anything.

EDIT: The readings were Actual readings for my latest bill.

You can check if your using the right meter by turning of your breakers and see if the meter is moving. It shouldnt.

If its the correct meter then previous reads has been estimated. Get your reads every week and record it then call Enmax before the next invoice is produced so they can recalculate based on your actual average consumption.

dibbz
09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON

You can check if your using the right meter by turning of your breakers and see if the meter is moving. It shouldnt.

If its the correct meter then previous reads has been estimated. Get your reads every week and record it then call Enmax before the next invoice is produced so they can recalculate based on your actual average consumption.

Sounds good. I have checked to make sure it's the right meter. I turned off the main breaker in my suite for about an hour and checked the reading before and after and saw no change.

If the August 6th reading from Enmax is correct (27818.00 kWh) then my current reading as of today is 27955 kWh. That means from Aug 6 - Sep 5 I have used 137 kWh which makes way more sense.

I am really starting to believe that the July reading was estimated. It's really the only way.

Researching the type of meter that's installed I found out 2 things.
1. The meter definitely cannot display decimal units.
2. This particular meter is a network meter used to measure network energy consumption (compared to the others which are single phase meters). My guess it was used during construction to measure usage for the whole floor and then they converted it to single unit use so Enmax has a crazy high usage history for that meter.

I appreciate all the suggestions. This is stressing me out a bit cause I've been spending a lot money to setup my place, and don't really want to take a hit like this.

joech
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Sounds good. I have checked to make sure it's the right meter. I turned off the main breaker in my suite for about an hour and checked the reading before and after and saw no change.

If the August 6th reading from Enmax is correct (27818.00 kWh) then my current reading as of today is 27955 kWh. That means from Aug 6 - Sep 5 I have used 137 kWh which makes way more sense.

I am really starting to believe that the July reading was estimated. It's really the only way.

Researching the type of meter that's installed I found out 2 things.
1. The meter definitely cannot display decimal units.
2. This particular meter is a network meter used to measure network energy consumption (compared to the others which are single phase meters). My guess it was used during construction to measure usage for the whole floor and then they converted it to single unit use so Enmax has a crazy high usage history for that meter.

I appreciate all the suggestions. This is stressing me out a bit cause I've been spending a lot money to setup my place, and don't really want to take a hit like this.

Did you take a picture of the meter on the day of your procession?

dibbz
09-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by joech

Did you take a picture of the meter on the day of your procession?

No. I wish I did because then I could definitely prove what's going on.