PDA

View Full Version : Water Damage to 2 Floors Below - Did I get scam by my condo board?

guessboi
08-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Question for plumbers.

Could a faulty tube that fills my toliet tank cause a leak 2 floors down in my condo?

There is no water damage in my washroom and I got charged 324.69 to fix this tube and 120.75 for someone breaking into my unit to fix this. :banghead:

Got this reply back from the mgmt company
"As you can see in the invoice, the cause of the problem was the tube that fills your toilet; therefore, all costs will have to be paid by owner."

It just doesn't make sense to me and I am thinking the problem was due to a pipe outside of the unit. They have to shut off the water in the whole building at least once a month due to leaky pipes.

Building built in 2005 and is located 11 Street and 6 Ave SW.

Advice?

Zero102
08-15-2012, 03:17 PM
the water can run back down the supply line through the hole in your floor and damage the next unit down, sure, I've seen that in houses... without a pic of the setup and more information about the building it would be really tough to tell.

That said, $324 to replace the supply line to your toilet seems insane :nut: Did they include some of the other unit's water damage in that bill?

guessboi
08-15-2012, 03:41 PM
They charged labour for 3 hrs - $282.00 to investigate.
Material for $7.23
Supplies for $20 + Tax

We are on the 18th Floor, No damage on the 17th Floor but damage on the 16th Floor...doesn't the water go down the pipes if the fill tube is leaking?

Did not charge the other unit's water damage in the bill.

whiskas
08-15-2012, 04:57 PM
The real problem is where you live. Combine boom time build quality with the shittiest condo developer in Canada, add to that an awful management company, and you have yourself Tarjan Pointe.

I live across your building. The thing is 7 years old and it's already falling apart from the outside, not to mention all the problems inside. It's a special assessment waiting to happen.

Zero102
08-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Isn't this the same building where right after construction the elevator kept getting stuck in the shaft part-way up because it was so far from vertical?

OP, post up some pics, let's all see what is going on here.

CapnCrunch
08-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by guessboi
They charged labour for 3 hrs - $282.00 to investigate.
Material for $7.23
Supplies for $20 + Tax

We are on the 18th Floor, No damage on the 17th Floor but damage on the 16th Floor...doesn't the water go down the pipes if the fill tube is leaking?

Did not charge the other unit's water damage in the bill.

Hire a lawyer. You aren't dealing with intelligent people.

guessboi
08-16-2012, 11:23 AM
So I spoke with the maintenance manager this morning and he said they are going to investigate further and get back to me on it.

I also told him to meet up with me to show me how the leak happened.

There is really no pictures for me to show because there is no water in my washroom.

Like what Zero102 started...I need to see the drawings of the setup and more information about the building to tell.

So got words there is another bill for $900+ for damage to the units below. :nut:

Any one dealt with Montgromery Ross as the management company before? :facepalm:

Masked Bandit
08-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Come on Ray, just claim it on your insurance :D

Over the years I've had this happen to a couple of different clients in condo buildings. Even though it happened behind the wall, you as the unit owner are still responsible. It's in your condo bylaws.

guessboi
08-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Come on Ray, just claim it on your insurance :D

Over the years I've had this happen to a couple of different clients in condo buildings. Even though it happened behind the wall, you as the unit owner are still responsible. It's in your condo bylaws.

I am considering but it looks like they did all the work already even before I know about it.
I am just not sure how a loose tube inside my toilet tank can leak to 2 floors down. :nut:

CapnCrunch
08-16-2012, 01:33 PM

I am considering but it looks like they did all the work already even before I know about it.
I am just not sure how a loose tube inside my toilet tank can leak to 2 floors down. :nut:

I'd be more confused about how the water damage completely skipped a floor.

Masked Bandit
08-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Slow drip that follows the plumbing lines leaks back into the wall and down the line. It's not impossible, I've seen water end up some pretty strange places considering the source. The crap thing about a situation like this is that you can't really argue it either if the "repairs" have already been done.

frozenrice
08-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Did they bill the right unit? Maybe they meant to bill the unit below you. It would explain the skipped floor.
Makes no sense if it was the toilet filler tube. If it didn't work properly, the tank would have over flowed and you for sure would have noticed the water.