PDA

View Full Version : car speaker problems

spertle
02-08-2004, 08:06 PM
I have an Alpine CDA 9813 deck and I just bought some Polk MOMO 5x7 speakers and had them installed in my car ('99 mercury cougar), but I am having some problems with them. When I listen to them at higher volumes (25+), they sound great. Then, 10-15 minutes later, they start to emmit a lot of static, and they just sound like crap. They do the same thing at lower volumes (20-22), but it takes a lot longer for them to stop sounding good and start to create a lot of static. I don't know anything about car stereos, but could I get some feedback on what you think might be wrong with mine and how I could fix it or have it fixed?

dj_rice
02-09-2004, 01:59 AM
Maybe u have the bass or treble settings up too high maybe??

My car use to do that..i had stock 4x6s in my 240sx and if I would listen to the radio...the speakers would sound fine and not static but once I put in a cd and listened..it would sound like shit and static..

The stereo dude said when u listen to the radio..it doesnt rely on the woofers of ur speakers much cuz its radio frequency and when its cd its using all of ur speakers and whatever else...

Hope that helps...

And how it could be fixed is..try adjusting the bass or treble...or...check the connections again?Or maybe the speakers have a low peak power?

spertle
02-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I dont really understand the settings because there is all this complicated stuff, but I set most of them fairly low. I didn't set any of them high. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I didn't buy an amp, could this affect it?

Also, I know what you're talking about, my old factory speakers did that. this is something different, this sounds like the speakers are just overheating and are going to fry or something.

dj_rice
02-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Hmmm I have no clue dude...Im just guessin maybe ur speakers are either too weak or maybe an amp is too powerful for it..
sorry

GTS Jeff
02-15-2004, 05:42 PM
it sounds like your amp is overheating man.

dj_rice
02-19-2004, 12:10 PM
so did u find the problem with ur speakerS?

t3rry
02-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by spertle
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I didn't buy an amp, could this affect it?

you usually get a lot more clarity from an amp

bighead411
03-09-2004, 02:45 PM
i agree.........the alpine setting is so tough to understand how to adjust............that's why i never touch anything besides the time correction..........all the EQ........high low crap.......i don't even know what's what!!