PDA

View Full Version : Any home boys sporting the Geo?

zoo56
08-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi all, I'm from Edmonton.

Any bros out there with a Geo Metro? (Mk1, 2, or 3 preferably.)

dj_rice
08-16-2012, 09:13 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :facepalm:

zoo56
08-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Don't judge bro. These cars are fun as hell to drive, look cool, and gets 50 MPG. They costs less than a paycheck, don't devalue like any new car does, and there's something thrilling about not have any safety features.

Pic of my car:
http://i.imgur.com/rtMcN.jpg

Graham_A_M
08-16-2012, 09:28 PM
^ No, airbags are for cars that can go past 80kph. ;)
(or at least that was in relevance to that comment you made before the edit saying "airbags are for pussies".)

umm... Nice car:nut:... yeah it looks really cool. :rofl:

Besides I wouldn't brag that your car costs less then a paycheck, thats nothing to be proud about.

zoo56
08-16-2012, 09:31 PM
I've been up to 130 kph. Gets pretty noisy though! Best as a city car for sure. :bigpimp:

btimbit
08-16-2012, 09:56 PM
I'd rather EAT $800 than buy a Geo.

There's just so many other cars I'd rather get for dirt cheap hilarious transport.

Kramerica
08-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Ford Festiva has always been my favorite for cheap, really scraping the bottom of the barrel, FWD gokarts though

dj_rice
08-16-2012, 10:53 PM
I've seen this Metro around town in Calgary before.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DLDZ9xYDV4E/TuVV32wjKFI/AAAAAAAABQA/CT_wub-TL_s/s1600/dinocar.jpg

revelations
08-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by zoo56
and there's something thrilling about not have any safety features.

I LOL'd

DeeK
08-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Suzuki Swift > Geo Metro

Also, why does everyone of these little cars have the largest fattest people you've ever seen? The bigger the person, the smaller the car. DO NOT GET.

msommers
08-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by revelations

I LOL'd

x2 :rofl:

V8rZWw9HE7o

barmanjay
08-16-2012, 11:58 PM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/8a3/ce1/f4b/resized/fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-mentally-handicapped-or-welsh-bf4235.jpg

HiTempguy1
08-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by DeeK
Suzuki Swift > Geo Metro

Also, why does everyone of these little cars have the largest fattest people you've ever seen? The bigger the person, the smaller the car. DO NOT GET.

First of all, a Swift IS a Metro. Hopefully you already knew that. Maybe you are referring to a Swift GTi which has the 1.3L dohc motor in it that the metro did not get? But I'm more partial to the 1.0L three cylinder turbocharged Firefly/Sprint.

As for the fat people comment, Geos, due to their spartan nature, have the MOST room around the occupants that you could ever imagine. Fat people fit well (up to 300 pounds). If anything, height is more of an issue.

Did somebody say Geo? The master has arrived :bigpimp:

I'm currently rocking a FREE Firefly. I'd kill for one as clean as yours. Lower it slightly, add some 15's, swap the GTi body kit onto it, have a good looking car that gets 50mpg. This one was my masterpiece (turbo Firefly) but I sold it over 3 years ago. Haven't saw one as clean since.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/hitempguy/loweredfirefly002resize.jpg

zoo56
08-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Suzuki Swift > Geo Metro

Big people feel pretty cool without needing their car to be some sort of distinguishing status symbol. They often love to drive smallest, cheapest cars which they feel 100% in control over. Having a small, cheap car means you don't have to worry much about it and can have more fun driving.

The Geo Metro is ideal for tall people as there is plenty of leg and head room inside. Newer and more feature laden cars seem to have a lot less space. They're also darker (less windows) and more boring too drive (too comfortable and automated). With all the safety features sometimes you have to wonder if you're really driving the car or if it's driving you.

revelations
08-17-2012, 09:26 AM
My dad had one, I particularly loved how the turn signal push buttons reflected off the windshield so that you could see which ones to push.

Also, locking one self out of the car wasnt a problem as you could just wrench on the window-frameless door and stick your hand in.

canadian booster
08-17-2012, 10:43 AM
i had a pushy salesman at a used car place try to sell me a Geo about 12 years ago when i went in to buy a 240sx they had on the lot..

...i drove off in the 240 ;)

Resurrected RA
08-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Kudos to you!

hurrdurr
08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Just came here to say what's up to my home boys

AaronK
08-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Hahaha this thread is full of lol's

n1zm0
08-17-2012, 11:26 AM

The Geo Metro is ideal for tall people as there is plenty of leg and head room inside.

5 year old quote ftw:

Originally posted by bspot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/nmrboy/3f18_grosser_mann_und_nelson.jpg

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Everyone needs to drive a vehicle, even the very tall. This was the largest auto that I could afford. Am I therefore to be made the subject of fun?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/nmrboy/3f18_nelson_wird_verspottet.jpg

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-17-2012, 12:24 PM
My buddy who some of you have probably seen on a couple cruises has that white Swift GTi.

78si
08-17-2012, 12:38 PM
I took these pics in the late 90s at a Winnipeg car show:D

zoo56
08-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I'm currently rocking a FREE Firefly. I'd kill for one as clean as yours. Lower it slightly, add some 15's, swap the GTi body kit onto it, have a good looking car that gets 50mpg. This one was my masterpiece (turbo Firefly) but I sold it over 3 years ago. Haven't saw one as clean since.

Very nice car. I'd love a turbo.

bourge73
08-17-2012, 05:32 PM
A Geo Metro lol, you must be from Edmonton ahaaaaaa

95teetee
08-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Also, why does everyone of these little cars have the largest fattest people you've ever seen? The bigger the person, the smaller the car. DO NOT GET. I met a cobalt ss in town a couple times a week or so ago, and the driver kept giving me the evil eye (are cobalts the new SRT-4 for drivers being like that?). Stopped at a restaurant to go for supper with a buddy, and the car happens to pull in a few minutes later (we were still outside in the parking lot).
Out get a family of four that look like the ones Jeff Portnoy played in 'The Fatties, Fart Two'.

DeeK
08-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

First of all, a Swift IS a Metro. Hopefully you already knew that. Maybe you are referring to a Swift GTi which has the 1.3L dohc motor in it that the metro did not get? But I'm more partial to the 1.0L three cylinder turbocharged Firefly/Sprint.

As for the fat people comment, Geos, due to their spartan nature, have the MOST room around the occupants that you could ever imagine. Fat people fit well (up to 300 pounds). If anything, height is more of an issue.

I had no idea that a geo metro and swift were the same car, I assumed they had the same shell, but entirely different mechanical components. Guess I never cared about it enough to research it. A buddy of mine had the 1.3L engine as a swift, so I never thought about it. Learn something new every day.

Big people feel pretty cool without needing their car to be some sort of distinguishing status symbol. They often love to drive smallest, cheapest cars which they feel 100% in control over. Having a small, cheap car means you don't have to worry much about it and can have more fun driving.

The Geo Metro is ideal for tall people as there is plenty of leg and head room inside. Newer and more feature laden cars seem to have a lot less space. They're also darker (less windows) and more boring too drive (too comfortable and automated). With all the safety features sometimes you have to wonder if you're really driving the car or if it's driving you.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not knockin' it. My buddies car was fun as hell to rip around in. It's just been my experiences that the biggest people drive the littlest cars. But yes, probably the same reason that a VW Bug can have the drivers seat 7 feet away from the steering wheel.

..*JDM Hatch*..
08-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Since we are on the subject of piece of shit, why not get a sprint turbo,lol.

r3ccOs
08-19-2012, 09:35 PM
those pos's sacraficied everything to give good mpg out of a terrible 1l engine

at least with a smart car, you don't sacrifice as much of the safety... but driveability and your dignity... that's a different story

zoo56
08-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Smart cars are gay. Safety is for little girls.

I love my car. Battery just died at the gas station. I vaguely remembered how to bump start, pushed car backwards on flat ground, jumped in, into reverse, starts up like nothing, wave to the guys watching me, and off we go.

To bad there were no babes around.

Penguin_Racecar
08-20-2012, 08:55 PM
A friend of mine had a Swift 1.3GT and holy shit was it fun to drive with studded tires on an ice-race course. Oversteered nicely when lifting into a corner and flew past more powerful cars on the track due to it being so nimble. I'd imagine a Metro would make an awesome iceracer also!

Seth1968
08-20-2012, 09:07 PM
"Nimble" is right.

One of my first cars was a standard 1988 Chev Sprint (Suzuki Swift). It was no couch on wheels, you felt like you were part of the road, and it was damn fun.

Really easy and cheap to work on as well. I had to replace the engine once, and after about an hour of work, I stood up on each side of the frame and lifted the engine out by hand lol. Heck you could almost change a flat by holding up a corner with one hand and changing the flat with the other.

zoo56
08-20-2012, 09:20 PM
^ These boys know what's up. :burnout:

Gibson
08-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I had a little '99 hatchback as my first car. The 3 cylinder works fine in the earlier gens, but the MK4/5s are just too heavy for that engine haha. But a lot of people have said how fun they are to drive, and they aren't lying. That car became something of a running joke with my friends, but I loved it anyway.

Lubu
08-21-2012, 03:50 AM
I'm not going to hate on the Geo Metro. But I seriously have a problem with guys in the 50's driving Miatas and trying to outgun me when the lights turn green. Come on, that's just sad. First of all, if you are in your 50's and have a mid life crisis, buy a porsche and secondly, do they seriously think that girly Miata is going to be able to beat anything german made :rofl:

403Gemini
08-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Lubu
I'm not going to hate on the Geo Metro. But I seriously have a problem with guys in the 50's driving Miatas and trying to outgun me when the lights turn green. Come on, that's just sad. First of all, if you are in your 50's and have a mid life crisis, buy a porsche and secondly, do they seriously think that girly Miata is going to be able to beat anything german made :rofl:

http://www.monstermiata.com/

;)

98brg2d
08-21-2012, 12:09 PM
I used to drive a firefly when I tinted windows, it was pretty fun.

I fit a 6 foot ladder in that thing!

It was low on head room but pretty wide inside. It had a slow leak for like three months before the tire went flat and it was like drift city everywhere by the end of each day. It was hilarious to drive.

I would never buy one but they are cool to see in really good shape, especially the Gti/turbos. I really liked the aquamarine color they came in.

zoo56
08-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 98brg2d
I really liked the aquamarine color they came in.
Competition blue. :werd:

Seth1968
08-21-2012, 05:39 PM
This thread makes me wish I had my old Sprint back.

It was cheap to buy, cheap on gas, and awesome to drive. (though I had a standard tranny in mine, and wouldn't want to drive an auto tranny sprint).

I put that baby through hell by driving it from Ontario to Alberta on two occasions with a large payload that mostly consisted of my girlfriend lol, and a large pancake shaped roof rack loaded with our personal belongings...but that's another story.

Anyway, I did all the work to that car on the 10 years I owned it. The repairs were cheap, simple, and fun to do.

....then I met my current GF, trashed the Sprint, and we bought a new Honda Civic. We've had it for about 10 years now, and it's reliability, dependability, comfortably, something ability, was almost unreal.

edit: Don't respond to this post, as I'm drunk and hit some key that posted it before I was finished.

edit2: After the previous fuck up...Anyway, the Civic is technologically far superior than my old Sprint, but when it comes down to car and driver, I'll take the feel of my Sprint which felt like being a part of the road, instead of being "on top" of the road.

On top of that, the back end hatch and associtaed space was so roomy that you could easily transport 4x8 products, or your dead grandmother.

toastgremlin
08-21-2012, 08:30 PM
I tried to pick up a clean Sprint Turbo a few years ago but the guy never answered my phone calls or emails. It was "Competition Blue," super nice and garage kept and only $600. :(