PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross / Hybrid bikes. Was: 2013 trek CrossRip

benyl
08-17-2012, 08:43 AM
What do you guys think?
http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/road/fitness/crossrip/

Now that I have been riding to work, of course I am looking for a new toy.

What I really want is a fully carbon bike with discs but no one seems to make that yet. This seems like a happy compromise.

I have been riding my madone 5 days a week and love the solid and connected feel of the bike. I also rode my mountain bike again last night to the park near my house to retrieve something my kid left behind. I noticed the suspension fork right away. I noticed the knobby tires right away. I noticed the weight of the bike, right away. I could go on and on.

What are you guys' opinions on mechanical vs hydralic discs. Keep in mind that this will be a winter beater of sorts.

Also, what is the best Trek dealer in town? Any hook ups? I bought my Madone at CC, but I just noticed last night that my rear cassette is a 105 instead of Ultegra. It was supposed to be a complete Ultegra bike. Not impressed.

ArjayAquino
08-17-2012, 09:10 AM
That bike looks sweet. I'm pretty noob at cycling so I can't help you much but my GF and I went to cycle path and she picked up a trek bike from there. Not a road bike, but it looks like they have a decent collection of trek bikes so that one might be there.

bigboom
08-17-2012, 09:44 AM
As a commuter I don't see why discs are all that important...I commute all year even through the winter and never once has disc brakes ever crossed my mind as being a requirement.

Personally, only having a sora group on it would already push me away from it.

how about coming down to bow cycle and checking out the jake the snakes? 2013's have disc brakes :D

98type_r
08-17-2012, 10:18 AM
^ not a fan of the sora either. I have it on my current commuter and sort of waiting for the shifters to die so I can replace it with at least 105.

As for your cassette, it's very unlikely that they swapped it out at the shop. Bike manufacturers do change the spec sometimes, I remember when I worked at a shop there was this bike we saw three different cranksets on in the same model year. Are you sure it was FULL Ultegra, my bike was spec'd with Dura Ace all around with an Ultegra cassette?

benyl
08-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Here is the spec.

http://www.trekbikes.com/za/en/bikes/2005/archive/madone52

With the cross rip, I was going to upgrade it all to 105 or ultegra.

msommers
08-17-2012, 10:44 AM
When I was looking for a bike, seemed that Cannondale still had the edge on AL frames. I love my CAAD10, when you want to go it goes and overall the vibration isn't bad at all. The reviews at the time said it was the best designed AL out there and even Cory at TCR really likes the CAAD series which says a lot.

As for your comments, I'm not really sure how to interpret your intentions. I mean first you say:

What I really want is a fully carbon bike with discs

and then end with the caveat:

Keep in mind that this will be a winter beater of sorts

benyl
08-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by msommers
When I was looking for a bike, seemed that Cannondale still had the edge on AL frames. I love my CAAD10, when you want to go it goes and overall the vibration isn't bad at all. The reviews at the time said it was the best designed AL out there and even Cory at TCR really likes the CAAD series which says a lot.

As for your comments, I'm not really sure how to interpret your intentions. I mean first you say:

and then end with the caveat:

Do carbon and winter not mix?

Originally posted by bigboom

how about coming down to bow cycle and checking out the jake the snakes? 2013's have disc brakes :D

I would, but I see no discs:
http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=jake_the_snake#1

Discs are not important, but I want them. I know they weigh more, but it is a want, not a need. haha.

Edit: Looks like it is the Jake, and not the Jake the snake with discs. Can you hook me up with a deal?

bigboom
08-17-2012, 11:46 AM
sorry...i meant the jake :)

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=jake

of course the one drawback to this is there is no carbon fork which the crossrip does have.

full carbon with disc...

http://volagi.com/bikes

also next year specialized is coming out with a crux carbon disc if you want to hold off till then, not to mention their roubaix line will have a bike with disc on it.

benyl
08-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Do you work there?

bigboom
08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Do you work there?

yup :)

benyl
08-17-2012, 12:26 PM
What is the price range on te volagi?

msommers
08-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Do carbon and winter not mix?

It's not the temperature that you have to worry about (aside from grease setting like a rock when it's really cold) but all the crap on the road like salt. The chances of having a spill are higher as well and I'd hate to drop a full carbon bike. It's like driving a Ferrari in the winter. I mean, ya you could, but why would you want to? Because you can? Your call but to me, spending that kind of money on a winter beater is nutzo. Spend the big bucks on quality clothes.

As for the Kona bike, I'd opt for the Jake the Snake over the Jake (despite it having the disc brakes you're keen on). The drivertrain is better and has a carbon seat post and fork, where you'll notice a difference. Calgary pathways are anything but flat all the time so really, it might not make that much of a difference at all (another reason why full carbon won't help either).

I would love to see a test between disc vs. mechanical on a road bike. Both lock up amazingly well because you don't have the huge amount of weight behind it like on a mtn bike. My bet, they perform exactly the same in terms of braking power and disc weighs more.

These responses may come off as condescending but that's not my intention, just trying to save you some bucks.

bigboom
08-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by msommers

It's not the temperature that you have to worry about (aside from grease setting like a rock when it's really cold) but all the crap on the road like salt. The chances of having a spill are higher as well and I'd hate to drop a full carbon bike. It's like driving a Ferrari in the winter. I mean, ya you could, but why would you want to? Because you can? Your call but to me, spending that kind of money on a winter beater is nutzo. Spend the big bucks on quality clothes.

As for the Kona bike, I'd opt for the Jake the Snake over the Jake (despite it having the disc brakes you're keen on). The drivertrain is better and has a carbon seat post and fork, where you'll notice a difference. Calgary pathways are anything but flat all the time so really, it might not make that much of a difference at all (another reason why full carbon won't help either).

I would love to see a test between disc vs. mechanical on a road bike. Both lock up amazingly well because you don't have the huge amount of weight behind it like on a mtn bike. My bet, they perform exactly the same in terms of braking power and disc weighs more.

These responses may come off as condescending but that's not my intention, just trying to save you some bucks.

jake the snake does not have a carbon seat post, just a carbon fork. if you're using it mainly for commuting you wont really notice, you really start to notice when you take the bike out for 1+hour rides.

the few situation where disc shines is if you are riding in inclement weather, i just dont know if id put it as a priority on the list. riding in winter and bad weather disc actually helps with stopping and prolongs the life of your wheels because you arent wearing out the brake track.

carbon is actually a great winter material...theres nothing in carbon that would make it corrode, the only thing is the cost makes it impractical for most.

Moonracer
08-17-2012, 02:00 PM
The trek seems like a pretty sweet bike but maybe consider a kona dr. good or the higher end dr. fine? Internal geared hub, no clogging up with ice or snow and they have disc brakes.

Also regarding disc brakes, I'd say they are superior to any rim brakes because you don't have to worry about wearing out your rims. Particularly in the winter when they wear out pretty quick from all the dirt and grime they collect on them.

msommers
08-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Valid points about the disc brakes.

Yeah carbon isn't even reactive to corrosion and works well in cold weather. AL gets some oxidation but doesn't really "rust" conventionally although over time untreated can cause structural damage. I mean if money is no object sure, go titanium too if you want. Just a personal thing to spend that much money (even if it was laying in the couch) and to subject it to those conditions, all the while not even sure if you want to/can handle Calgary weather while biking.

In terms of corrosion, your components like chains and cables are going to rust way before your frame ever does unless you have big scratches or gouges and then you'll have bigger problems anyways haha.

Let us know what you buy, genuinely curious how this ends up.

phreezee
08-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
Internal geared hub, no clogging up with ice or snow and they have disc brakes.

This should be more of a requirement than a need for winter. I got used to squeaky gears last winter, but would have loved to have internal gears and belt driven.

If not, then I wouldn't put anything over Tiagra on the bike and just replace and repair when needed. Things seize up and maintenance is constant.

benyl
08-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

This should be more of a requirement than a need for winter.

Is the gearing on an 11 speed Alfine short enough to climb hills?

Remember, I have to ride from downtown to Aspen.

benyl
08-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Ok, let's talk about other options here.

I have yet to ride any of these bikes, but here are some more options that I am considering.

1. Specialized Tricross Comp disc http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/earlylaunch/tricross/tricrosscompdisccompact

May or may not come to Canada as this is only on the US site.

2. Specialized Tricross Elite disc http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bikes/road/tricross/tricrosselitediscapexcompact

Components aren't as nice and I would want to upgrade the BB5s to BB7s (it seems that everyone loves BB7s).

3. MEC cote http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/Bikes/Road/PRD~5027-453/mec-cote-bicycle-unisex.jsp

Full tiagra with BB7s

Any other suggestions?

98type_r
08-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Odds are that the TriCross Comp will be available in Canada. Specialized generally doesn't exclude models from Canada we just get a crappier website.

I'd take either one over the MEC cote, nothing against the MEC bike, I'm just not a fan of Tiagra components, and dislike how it has a triple ring crankset.

bspot
08-22-2012, 02:10 PM

Is the gearing on an 11 speed Alfine short enough to climb hills?

With traditional gearing you have a lot of overlap in your ratios due to having front and rear derrailers. Certain sprocket combos are going to be really close to each other making an 18 speed bike have far less than 18 distinct ratios.

With an internal hub, they are all evenly spaced, thus more usable, 11 speeds is quite a bit and will have no problems in all city situations.

I'm definitely keeping my eye open for good belt drive/internal hub options for winter, I never clean my bike properly in winter because when I get home, I just want to go inside and relax. It's not like summer when you can throw it on the lawn and take the hose to it.

The only problem with belt drive is your frame selection gets pretty limited as you have to be able to open the rear triangle.

bigboom
08-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
Odds are that the TriCross Comp will be available in Canada. Specialized generally doesn't exclude models from Canada we just get a crappier website.

I'd take either one over the MEC cote, nothing against the MEC bike, I'm just not a fan of Tiagra components, and dislike how it has a triple ring crankset.

actually specialized excludes quite a few bikes from coming to canada every year. i'll check our booking for specialized and see if we are getting any for next year.

also for those of you that think internal gear hubs are good in winter...wait until you see what an IGH looks like after one winter, at that point i'd rather deal with just a simple chain replacement then getting a full hub overhaul. Theoretically, if an IGH was fully sealed that would be awesome but none of them are truly sealed and once you get some mositure in there from riding the nicely salted calgary roads its gets ugly quick.

For a winter commuter nothing beats a single speed, I do most of my winter commuting on my single speed and it's cheap for maintenance. A $10 chain every winter and I've been good for the last three.

ArjayAquino
08-22-2012, 03:26 PM
I vote for this one.
PL7pUIhNSm4

Moonracer
08-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

also for those of you that think internal gear hubs are good in winter...wait until you see what an IGH looks like after one winter, at that point i'd rather deal with just a simple chain replacement then getting a full hub overhaul. Theoretically, if an IGH was fully sealed that would be awesome but none of them are truly sealed and once you get some mositure in there from riding the nicely salted calgary roads its gets ugly quick.

For a winter commuter nothing beats a single speed, I do most of my winter commuting on my single speed and it's cheap for maintenance. A $10 chain every winter and I've been good for the last three.

Sounds like a good tradeoff to me still. I've ridden a good 15 yrs with a rear derailleur in the winter and when the weather gets ugly it really sucks ass, you really gotta stay on the maintenance. Single speed is indeed great for the winter cause you don't have any of that crap to worry about but the OP has to ride to and from Aspen so he needs gears.

;)

phreezee
08-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Ugh, Edworthy climb FTL! Can't imagine how that would be like in winter. What's your best time? I assume you go this way: http://app.strava.com/segments/775255

I'll let others with real IGH experience speak to it...it sounds ideal, but maybe not in practice.

For what it's worth, I had to get my regular rear hub rebuilt because the skewer was seized in it after last winter also.

benyl
08-22-2012, 04:09 PM
I did that hill once and said forget it. Not enough rest time between that hill and the Strathcona hill.

Without giving away where I live, here is the route I take.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=51.0518,-114.199405+to:51.0517714,-114.1979499+to:51.0511,-114.19496+to:51.0497661,-114.1911518+to:51.0482,-114.18948+to:51.0481902,-114.1802565+to:51.0523232,-114.1657982+to:51.05232,-114.155803+to:51.0502248,-114.1336523+to:1+St+SE+S&hl=en&ll=51.048193,-114.141941&spn=0.072305,0.181789&sll=51.046736,-114.210048&sspn=0.009038,0.022724&geocode=FQDjCgMdHCQx-Q%3BFRj9CgMdk3Qx-SltAEcZ1m1xUzHGzdGsARGZ_g%3BFfv8CgMdQ3ox-SmlajzpeG5xUzGKYByQmeHe2Q%3BFVz6CgMd8IUx-SkBJz4HeW5xUzHS7jYbhx93ZA%3BFSb1CgMd0ZQx-Sljtzn9eW5xUzGqMGR7bzmZbg%3BFQjvCgMdWJsx-SkFaLhJd25xUzFK4oljaPSClg%3BFf7uCgMdYL8x-SlDpFfYcW5xUzHrSqd14JWTyQ%3BFSP_CgMd2vcx-Smx3f3VaW5xUzEVDLOSebZF2Q%3BFSD_CgMd5R4y-SlRXfsPRG5xUzHHrgbMe2QR4w%3BFfD2CgMdbHUy-SntudOaNW5xUzGIIljr3pkR4w%3BFfXxCgMd05Mz-Q&t=h&dirflg=b&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=16&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9&z=13&lci=bike

The reason I am looking at a cyclocross bike is the section by the Shaganappi golf course is gravel. I am expecting a pinch flat on my 700x23 tires any day now.

It usually takes 30-40 minutes to get in and about 50 minutes to get home. I am slow. I have gotten home in 42 minutes, but that was on a cool day at the beginning of the week. By Friday, I am in the 50-55 minute range. But 3 weeks of 5 day a week cycling has dropped 7-8lbs off me.

phreezee
08-22-2012, 04:34 PM
^^ true, and they close that section of path beyond your turn off point after Crowchild in the winter too. So you're stuck with that route I guess.

bigboom
08-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer

Sounds like a good tradeoff to me still. I've ridden a good 15 yrs with a rear derailleur in the winter and when the weather gets ugly it really sucks ass, you really gotta stay on the maintenance. Single speed is indeed great for the winter cause you don't have any of that crap to worry about but the OP has to ride to and from Aspen so he needs gears.

;)

i live in cougar ridge and while you may need to suffer a little it's quite do-able as SS, just make sure you are geared correctly. i come up the edworthy hill in the winter and dont really have any issues.

benyl
08-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Can someone explain the big price difference between the 2013 Jake and the 2012 Specialized Tricross Elite disc?

Edit: It seems that the Canadian price is $400 more than the US price.

Kona seems to have their US and Canadian pricing aligned, but not Specialized.

bspot
09-14-2012, 04:02 PM
If you do go disc make sure they are DOT fluid, not mineral oil. Mineral oil will freeze on you, and you're going to have a bad time. I went mechanical disc for mine, Zero maintenance is nice. I end up working on my mountain bike enough from broken parts/maintenance that I really neglect my commuter.

If they made these in a bigger size I'd be all over one for commuting: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/seek.0/11501/55835/#geometry

Just finished tearing my frame down totally and building a singlespeed mtb beater (that ended up being $500 in parts/paint... haha). I converted the front to disc.

Your ride is long enough you can definitely justify a lighter/faster bike. If you find something perfect but with no discs, sell the brand new fork, buy a new one with a disc mount and convert it to front disc, which is all you really need anyway. I like disc much better for winter. Slush days with rim brakes suck. And they are so loud/annoying. SQQUEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKK.

Afrodeziak
10-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm looking for a 2012, 2013 Jake or Jake the Snake. Group buy? haha

zipdoa
10-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
I'm looking for a 2012, 2013 Jake or Jake the Snake. Group buy? haha

How tall are you? I have a 2011 Jake The Snake 58CM ridden literally twice, belongs to a family member whose moved out of the country.

zipdoa
10-05-2012, 02:33 PM
DP

msommers
04-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Benyl, what bike did you end up with?

I'm looking for a commuter bike as well. I've really grown to love the drop handlebars and integrated brake/shifter, but everything seems to be at least $1000 with that style, even with the lowest components.

benyl
04-05-2013, 12:35 PM
I didn't.

I used my old Mtn Bike when it started to snow in Oct/Nov. Then I went on vacation and stopped biking. Going to start again April 15th and will likely use my road bike again.

Slogging it with a beater Mtn Bike was so hard that I think I got sick from it. I was really drained after riding home. Or maybe I was sick and it didn't help that I had to work so much harder. I am not in very good shape. haha

I am going to wait and see what 2014 brings. I bet we will see many drop handle bikes with disk brakes.