PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to park in a alley in Calgary?

ibuddler
08-18-2012, 10:21 PM
I parked my car in an alley yesterday and I certainly didn't block any garages. I just parked there for about 5 mins and when I came out I've got a parking ticket.

There's absolutely no "NO parking" signs and I didn't block the alley either.

My question is is it illegal to park in an alley or should I flight the ticket?

Seth1968
08-18-2012, 10:35 PM
If you weren't blocking the public road, then you must have parked on private property.

What is the infraction written on the ticket?

cloud7
08-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Were you parked across from any driveways or garages in the back alley? Where is this back alley?

95EagleAWD
08-18-2012, 11:32 PM
What bylaw number and section are written on the ticket?

speedog
08-19-2012, 12:53 AM
From this city of Calgary document (link (http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis/DirectDownload.aspx?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calgary.ca%2FTransportation%2FRoads%2FDocuments%2FTraffic%2FTraffic-safety-programs%2FTraffic-tips-booklet.pdf&noredirect=1&sf=1))...

You may not park within 1.5 metres of, or directly across from a driveway or garage entrance in an alley. Parking is also not allowed in front of or within 1 metre of the side of a garbage container, or in alleys that are less than 6.1 metres wide.

You may not block or impede other vehicles from using the alley. You must leave a minimum of 3 metres unobstructed width for the passage of other vehicles. The penalty for violating these parking restrictions is $40–$50 and your vehicle may be towed.
Now seeing as we have a multitude of garbage containers in our alleys now, it would seem that parking in an alley legally is pretty much impossible. Now my double detached garage is far enough in on my property to allow me to park my small car behind my garage without encroaching on the alley and my black/blue bins sit on my property when not out for collection - same goes for my two back door neighbors who park their vehicles on their land adjacent to the alley. But most properties especially in the newer suburbs probably have their fences built right at the property lines as to maximize yard space which means alley parking could be a crap shoot.

Still it sounds like the OP was probably subject to a call to 311 from a poor neighbor more than anything else.

ibuddler
08-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks all for the reply.

On the tickect, it says: parked in a narrow alley 6.1m or less measured at 6.1m. I'm not sure about this but I didn't block the alley at all.

Btw, it's not a private alley.

Should I flight for the ticket? I've only been there for less than 5 minutes.

colsankey
08-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Measure the width of the alley, if its 6.1 metres or less, decide if its worth your time to fight the valid violation. If its more than 6.1 metres, decide if it's worth your time.

sr20s14zenki
08-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Doesnt matter if its 6.1 meters or not. That may be the bylaw, but really, if its not necessary to enforce it, why write a ticket? If what you are saying is honest, and you were indeed not impeding flow thru the alley, its just some ticket writing monkey justifying his job. Fight it and be honest with the jp, that you were in no way blocking the alley, and you werent aware of such a law. The worst they can say is "ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law" which is the prick thing to do, but whatever, shit happens i guess.

There are TONS of antiquated bylaws that aren't enforced because they are stupid....so i think they can relax on matters such as this, especially if you were indeed not bothering anybody. Go ticket somebody who is ACTUALLY parked like a dick....i see it all the time...and they never get ticketed.

85regal
08-19-2012, 09:08 AM
maybe take some pictures of the alley and your car parked where it was?

speedog
08-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by 85regal
maybe take some pictures of the alley and your car parked where it was? Shit, OP might be good for another ticket.

FraserB
08-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Fight it, the way the bylaw is worded and the officers own note on the ticket proves that you are not guilty. With review of the bylaw's language and what is on the ticket, it should be tossed.

Seth1968
08-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Shit, OP might be good for another ticket.

:rofl: