PDA

View Full Version : horseradish root

nonofyobiz
08-19-2012, 08:57 AM
What's the deal with this stuff? I can't find it anywhere. I wanted to try and make some Fire Cider for this winter, and finally found some fresh cayenne's but now I can't get horseradish.:dunno:

speedog
08-19-2012, 09:17 AM
There is a local Alberta vendor who sells small bags of horseradish and their stall is located on the extreme east side of the Grassroots Northland Farmers' Market (http://www.skatersfoundation.ca/gnfmhome.htm) next to the Sugar Creek Kettle Corn trailer - this market operates every Tuesday, June 5 to September 25, 2012 3:30 pm to 7:00 pm in the east parking lot of the Northland Village Mall.

Horseradish also grows wild in some parts of the city although the wild stuff tends to be a bit woody and the roots are usually quite twisted because of the soil they are growing in - the alley that abuts the west side of the now closed Highland golf course has some wild horseradish growing along the fence. You can also PM me as I've got a large plant in my back yard and could easily spare some as it grows like a weed. Be forewarned though that fresh horseradish is wicked once you start processing it - makes cutting onions seem like child's play.

20incheyes
08-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I see it at safeway and buy it once in a while when I'm in the mood to shuck some oysters.

nonofyobiz
08-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by speedog
There is a local Alberta vendor who sells small bags of horseradish and their stall is located on the extreme east side of the Grassroots Northland Farmers' Market (http://www.skatersfoundation.ca/gnfmhome.htm) next to the Sugar Creek Kettle Corn trailer - this market operates every Tuesday, June 5 to September 25, 2012 3:30 pm to 7:00 pm in the east parking lot of the Northland Village Mall.

Horseradish also grows wild in some parts of the city although the wild stuff tends to be a bit woody and the roots are usually quite twisted because of the soil they are growing in - the alley that abuts the west side of the now closed Highland golf course has some wild horseradish growing along the fence. You can also PM me as I've got a large plant in my back yard and could easily spare some as it grows like a weed. Be forewarned though that fresh horseradish is wicked once you start processing it - makes cutting onions seem like child's play.

ya i read that it is quite invasive if you don't harvest it, and u have to get it at the right time or it will get woody.
I might have to take you up on that offer :D I'll look into that market, thx

speedog
08-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Only the older roots get woody, younger ones are always good and hot. Very invasive though - we dig/cut ours back ridiculously hard every year and it always grows back. It will be getting moved to it's own area of the yard this fall and possibly even into a buried 45 gallon drum so as to control it even more.