PDA

View Full Version : Getting keys made

Chantastic
08-19-2012, 07:21 PM
So, I'm likely picking up a used door for my car. The door I am getting does not have a key though. Is there a shop someone can recommend that can make a key for that door, or better yet, make the door match the key I already have for the car?

thager
08-19-2012, 07:34 PM
google some locksmiths and ask them ?

J-hop
08-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Chantastic
So, I'm likely picking up a used door for my car. The door I am getting does not have a key though. Is there a shop someone can recommend that can make a key for that door, or better yet, make the door match the key I already have for the car?

assuming you aren't driving around w/o a door at the moment why can't you just swap lock cylinders over?

dj_rice
08-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Locksmith is the only place that can re-code your lock cylinder so that you only have one key for all doors.

Otherwise, as someone has mentioned, swap out the lock cylinders.

MrSector9
08-19-2012, 08:09 PM
heads lock and key.. call them

Graham_A_M
08-19-2012, 08:18 PM
^ Yeah most if not all locksmiths can make a key for you using the existing (key-less) lock.

Otherwise they (or you) can just swap out the key tumbler.

Chantastic
08-19-2012, 09:15 PM
My driver door is the damaged one, but since I ended up picking up a pair of doors, I think I might replace the passenger side as well. My current passenger door lock is completely seized and has a chunk of a key stuck in it anyway.

It might actually just be better to get a new key made for the doors.

Thanks for the responses

dj_rice
08-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Locksmith can take the key-code from either your ignition cylinder or your trunk cylinder and re-code the door cylinders that way. Its up to you if you don't mind having 2 sets of keys.

Chantastic
08-20-2012, 01:51 AM
I just got the door off, and managed to get the door handle/key tumbler out. If I can manage to swap it into the new door, win!

It was a lot easier knowing that I didn't need the old door though, I just bent/broke everything to get the handle out :thumbsup: