PDA

View Full Version : Raw Milk

bradwatson
08-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my hands on raw cow's milk. Does anyone have a line on getting some in Calgary?

I realize it is technically illegal to buy, but I know there are several ways to get some, such as "investing" in a share of a cow. The closest place I can get it from is in BC, but that involves shipping it, etc.

Thanks guys!

Brad

Disoblige
08-20-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm just curious, what is it about raw milk that is better than milk that's been pasteurized?

nonofyobiz
08-20-2012, 07:46 PM
delicious bacteria and micro oraganisms mmmmm:drool:

I hate milk

Seth1968
08-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by nonofyobiz

I hate milk

You hate bovine mammary gland secretions?

But why?:D

Graham_A_M
08-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by nonofyobiz

I hate milk
Its on quite a few things you're probably eating already without knowing about it.

roopi
08-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Maybe look into breast milk. Might be easier to source locally.

DeeK
08-21-2012, 01:14 AM
buy a cow, put it in your basement.

bradwatson
08-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by DeeK
buy a cow, put it in your basement.

Thanks for your help guys! :rolleyes:

Joking aside, raw milk is more complete nutritionally compared to pasteurized milk. Milk that is pasteurized at a high temperature (i.e. Dairyland, etc.) is even worse because more of the proteins in milk are denatured at a high temperature.

In the US, I have been able to find raw milk at different "high end" grocery stores, but it is much more difficult in Canada for whatever reason. I just thought I'd check and see if anyone knows of any places I can buy it here in Calgary.

Brad

roopi
08-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bradwatson

Thanks for your help guys! :rolleyes:

Joking aside, raw milk is more complete nutritionally compared to pasteurized milk. Milk that is pasteurized at a high temperature (i.e. Dairyland, etc.) is even worse because more of the proteins in milk are denatured at a high temperature.

In the US, I have been able to find raw milk at different "high end" grocery stores, but it is much more difficult in Canada for whatever reason. I just thought I'd check and see if anyone knows of any places I can buy it here in Calgary.

Brad

The closest place I know of that you can purchase this through cow sharing is in the Christina Lake area but I'm assuming thats the one you mentioned earlier. I've never seen it in Alberta. Not enough hippies here.

Graham_A_M
08-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Hmmm, you may want to talk to a few local 4H clubs. They have access to a lot of ranchers and the like that would be able to supply you with it. You may want to head down to Turner valley and talk to the owners of the Chuckwagon restaurant (they work there most days). They process their own cattle that they grow (and serve in the restaurant), and know of quite a few other ranchers as well that would be happy to help.
You may also want to check out some of the farmers markets in the greater Calgary area. A lot of the vendors there are from farms, so chances are if their selling free-range chickens & eggs (etc etc) they should know of quite a few other people you can buy this directly from.

...just some food for thought.

EDIT: Oh yeah I just remembered this, Raw milk has a much more strong taste to it then regular milk, it also doesn't last NEARLY as long before going bad. So keep that in mind. I think it generally lasts a few days to a to a week tops from when its first "milked" to when it starts to turn.

flipstah
08-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I'm just curious, what is it about raw milk that is better than milk that's been pasteurized?

e31
08-21-2012, 05:40 PM
mUtSazFb5qM

sabad66
08-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Originally posted by Disoblige

Originally posted by bradwatson

flipstah
08-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

[/B][/QUOTE]

Helps if I read.

5000Audi
08-22-2012, 01:23 AM
raw milk is the only way i will drink a glass of milk.. very creamy and very good!! 3%-skim is horrible! but i dont drink milk enough to get it brought it.. but you talk to local ranchers i bet they will sell you milk.. i get mine from friends dairy farm near saskatoon!

ps next time you have raw milk, mix in some nestle choco milk mox... best damn choco milk youll ever drink!!!

Masked Bandit
08-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Try looking for vendors selling it branded as milk for your pets. My Mom buys the stuff in Saskatchewan and that's how they get around the laws. It officially sold as food for pet consumption only. With all the Hutterites around here there must be someone selling the stuff.

sputnik
08-22-2012, 11:16 AM
It will be hard to buy some from someone you don't personally know.

The government has been cracking down on people trying to get around the law.

slinkie
08-22-2012, 03:06 PM
to each haters of "milk" your eating like a bitch so ur gonna stay a bitch. eat some cow eat some pizza eat cow in pasta cow in bread cow with cheese drink cow. look at cows there big eat them and ull be to. u are what u eat u wanna eat chicked ull stay being a chicken. u wanna eat string cheese ur gonna be a string cheese. u wanna eat fruit ur ganna be a fruit. Enjoy life.

nismodrifter
08-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
to each haters of "milk" your eating like a bitch so ur gonna stay a bitch. eat some cow eat some pizza eat cow in pasta cow in bread cow with cheese drink cow. look at cows there big eat them and ull be to. u are what u eat u wanna eat chicked ull stay being a chicken. u wanna eat string cheese ur gonna be a string cheese. u wanna eat fruit ur ganna be a fruit. Enjoy life.

:nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut:

I don't even know what to say

KRyn
08-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by slinkie

Oh new signature! Thanks!

bradwatson
08-22-2012, 04:13 PM
HAHAHAHA wow that's an unreal post Slinkie.

Anyways, thanks for your help guys. I decided to go ahead with a distributor based out of BC. Like I said, I have had it quite a bit in the past to I know what to expect in terms of taste, shelf life, etc.

If anyone would like more info on their cow share program, you can look up "Wild Thing Organics" and contact them there.

Thanks for your help guys!

/thread