PDA

View Full Version : Converting Gas BBQ to Propane

anarchy
08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Question for the BBQ gurus out there: I have a Master Chef gas BBQ but I've moved to a condo where there is no gas line. I'd like to use a propane tank with this and have heard mixed thoughts.

Some people say I can get a conversion kit but it's costly and not worth the trouble, as well as it has to be done right.

Others say it's easy to do.

Any advice would be appreciated - I miss BBQing!

Maxx Mazda
08-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I looked into Chabging my gas BBQ into propane. It was gonna cost about $200 to do it "right" so I said fuck it and just bought a new BBQ. The whole burner and everything needs to be swapped, not just the has line and some fittings.

Bottom line, unless you have a REALLY nice expensive BBQ, it's not worth it.

s dime
08-20-2012, 09:40 PM
my conversion from gas to propane for my 15 year old weber cost 37 dollars at bbq's galore.

super easy :thumbsup:

I do notice it has uneven heat compared to gas though. Now I know where the hotspots are it doesnt affect the cooking?

The_Rural_Juror
08-20-2012, 10:17 PM
I am actually looking to do the opposite. Maybe you want to buy my 1 and a half year old Weber Genesis off me so I can buy a bigger bbq?:D

anarchy
08-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll probably just sell mine and buy a new one.

pinoyhero
08-24-2012, 06:46 AM
I want to go prop to NG any shops in town that do this professionally?

Resurrected RA
08-24-2012, 12:32 PM
I moved into a condo that has a NG line, my BBQ is propane. I only spend $20-$40 year on LPG. It would take about 5-8 years to see a realistic ROI. I decided against the conversion. I will buy a dedicated BBQ in 4-5 years when my current BBQ will need to be replaced.

Something to consider, is a trade. PM sent.