PDA

View Full Version : Killed brand new rear wheel- need input!

J-hop
08-21-2012, 09:26 PM
So a while ago I bent the rear wheel on my bike pretty bad, I rode it for a while as it actually spun fairly straight but eventually it gave out.

I went to a local shop and the tech there managed to find me a very cheap replacement wheel ($34.99). I installed it and two rides later I noticed play in the bearings, I pulled the wheel and the axle is bent.

I am wondering what could have caused this? Now I should note that the bend in the axle is on the crank/gear cluster side so my initial reaction is that the metal is super cheap on the replacement wheel and I bent the axle from hard pedaling standing up (I am 190lbs). But I also thought possibly a bent rear frame (triangle??) could cause this? The frame is a 30+year old cro-moly frame so I figure the thing is indestructible but when I bent the original rim I did hit a curb quite hard so maybe I caused frame damage?

Thoughts? if a bent frame is a possible cause how would one measure it up to check straightness??

I'm hoping this is just a case of a shitty replacement wheel, at the price I honestly didn't expect it to last long so no loss!!

5000Audi
08-22-2012, 01:19 AM
because race car!!!!

no but id take the rear wheel apart like pull axel from rim and see if thats straight.. if thats not bent then your frame is prob bent.. but i doubt a frame would bend from hitting a curb...

but if the axel is bent pull the one from your old rim and slap her in with some new grease and call her a day!

J-hop
08-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks, the axle is bent for sure, the wheel is a sealed unit that comes with the bearing and axle already in the hub so unfortunately I can't swap out axles very easily. It's for an oldschool bike that runs a 6speed freewheel gear cluster. I was doing some reading and apparently it is not uncommon to bend the axle on a freewheel bike because of the way the freewheel is mounted and transfers stress to the axle.

I'm going to try looking for a more expensive wheel, something that wasn't meant for a cheapo bike, although im sure my selection will be limited!!!

Keep the suggestions coming!

superflychief
08-22-2012, 07:49 AM
My guess is just a cheap wheel. I used to work on bikes and I ran across a bent axle once. It happens. I'd be more inclined to bet it's the wheel than your frame. Think about it, a frame is meant to go downhill quickly and take all kinds of impacts. Infact downhill racing used to be on hardtails so that should say something. In terms of mountain bike parts quality, often times you get what you pay for and a 35 dollar wheel is likely just a pile of crap. No offense.

benyl
08-22-2012, 09:11 AM
I was just reading about this on Sheldon Brown's website or whatever his name is.

Maybe it is time to upgrade?

J-hop
08-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by superflychief
My guess is just a cheap wheel. I used to work on bikes and I ran across a bent axle once. It happens. I'd be more inclined to bet it's the wheel than your frame. Think about it, a frame is meant to go downhill quickly and take all kinds of impacts. Infact downhill racing used to be on hardtails so that should say something. In terms of mountain bike parts quality, often times you get what you pay for and a 35 dollar wheel is likely just a pile of crap. No offense.

Yea I agree, just with the age of the bike that is all they had. I was prepared to drop over $200 on a wheel but that is all they had. It is an old style wheel with a 6spd freewheel, everything is cassettes now and when I went today they said they don't even have a cassette option for me and the cheap wheel I broke was the last one they had.

I'm thinking my best option might be to buy a couple older parts bikes and steal the wheels off them.

Originally posted by benyl
I was just reading about this on Sheldon Brown's website or whatever his name is.

Maybe it is time to upgrade?

man I wish I could but the bike has some sentimental value now haha. I love the bike, either the frame fits me perfectly or my body has conformed to the frame perfectly, I haven't decided yet!

The other day a guy tried to pass me while I was waiting at a light, he was on an expensive looking road bike, I waxed him between lights, he pulled up behind me at the next light and said "holy crap man, imagine if you had a road bike, you can really motor on that thing!". Brought an instant smile to my face, 30+ y/o heavy cromoly frame, leather look seat and white wall tires keeping up with guys on road bikes!

J-hop
08-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Here is a pic of the beast :love: :love:

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/4/d/e/303485/photo-1.jpg

bspot
09-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Why not go with a freehub instead of a freewheel? It will open a lot more options for you, plus easier maintenance.