PDA

View Full Version : City considering more bike lanes...on MacLeod...yea

finboy
08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/08/23/calgary-macleod-trail-plans.html

Granted they are "long term" plans, but it isnt like Calgary will get any smaller, or less people will be using MacLeod. I really don't get how their minds work.

supe
08-23-2012, 11:03 AM
More bikes mean less cars on the road

finboy
08-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Less lanes means more cars in a concentrated area

littledan
08-23-2012, 11:09 AM
i blame hipsters

M.alex
08-23-2012, 11:09 AM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

G-ZUS
08-23-2012, 11:15 AM
:facepalm:

nickyh
08-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Oh i'm so glad barely drive that stretch of road, it's bad enough now and with a bike lane and wider medians, bring on the road rage.

But, on the flip side, by the time they do this all the LRT platforms should be able to accomodate the 4 cars so who needs to drive anymore?
City's answer to everything: Transit.

codetrap
08-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by finboy
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/08/23/calgary-macleod-trail-plans.htmlDidn't read the proposal.

Granted they are "long term" plans, but it isnt like Calgary will get any smaller, or less people will be using MacLeod. I really don't get how their minds work. Didn't read the proposal.
Originally posted by finboy
Less lanes means more cars in a concentrated area Didn't read the proposal.
Originally posted by littledan
i blame hipsters Didn't read the proposal.
Originally posted by M.alex
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Didn't read the proposal.
Originally posted by G-ZUS
:facepalm: Didn't read the proposal.
Originally posted by nickyh
Oh i'm so glad barely drive that stretch of road, it's bad enough now and with a bike lane and wider medians, bring on the road rage.But, on the flip side, by the time they do this all the LRT platforms should be able to accomodate the 4 cars so who needs to drive anymore? City's answer to everything: Transit. Also didn't read the proposal.

After actually *reading* the proposal. I think it's a great idea. It won't limit the traffic at all, and will add in the some nice cycling and walking areas, as well as provide for a possible additional lane in both directions instead of on street parking.

hampstor
08-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Looking at the proposal - man does it ever look expensive to redevelop all the way down macleod. Seems more like another social engineering experiment.

I wonder if it'd be less to expropriate a few feet of land parallel to the train ROW and build a path there rather than re-engineering MacLeod trail. Of course, you'd have to figure out what to do around cemetary hill and the stampede grounds.

codetrap
08-23-2012, 11:59 AM
hampstor, plus you'd run into issues with people getting hit the train all the time. I think the ultimate goal here is to provide a nicer commute, and local walking/cycling options up a major corridor. I remember from when I lived south of Chinook and was riding my bike all the time it would have been great to have a direct path to the core.

The_Rural_Juror
08-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Any chance we can talk the city into including more car lanes?

hampstor
08-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
hampstor, plus you'd run into issues with people getting hit the train all the time. I think the ultimate goal here is to provide a nicer commute, and local walking/cycling options up a major corridor. I remember from when I lived south of Chinook and was riding my bike all the time it would have been great to have a direct path to the core.

I don't understand how putting in a path parallel to the train tracks would lead to people getting hit by the train all the time... there are plenty of crossing already. If anything, there are a few places that are high traffic that they'd probably have to cross a busy road (ie: 42nd) - but that can be resolved too. Besides, if a cyclist timed it right, they could probably run parallel with a CP train during rush hour the entire way, so no stops!

As far as local walking options, there are sidewalks that already run down macleod.

Anyway, just tossing out an alternative idea for discussion. I'm curious to understand if reengineering macleod is the only option they are looking at, or if this is one of several.

dj_patm
08-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Or the bikers could just AVOID using major urban roadways.

Whats next? Bike lane on fucking deerfoot? Give me a break.

They can take another, safer, less congested route.

supe
08-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Didn't read the proposal.

What are you talking about... clearly says gives highest priority to walking cycling and transit.

These 3 things are very sustainable given the growth Calgary is seeing and will see. Driving is not sustainable.

FullFledgedYYC
08-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Why the hell should we add more vehicle lanes? So people can practice improper lane discipline in even more lanes?

This city could have 6 lanes each way and there would still be traffic because nobody knows proper lane discipline!

Mandatory viewing for all Calgary drivers!!! (http://tinyurl.com/8n33m77)

dj_patm
08-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
Why the hell should we add more vehicle lanes? So people can practice further improper lane discipline?

This city could have 6 lanes each way and there would still be traffic because nobody knows proper lane discipline!

MANDATORY VIEWING FOR ALL CALGARY DRIVERS!!! (http://motoringtv.com/kenzie's-korner-s11565#/Episode_10_-_'Left_lane_bandits'_are_taught,_not_born!/)

Until you see police actually enforcing this, it will never change. In Europe, the cop will pull over someone hanging out in the left lane before a speeder. ESPECIALLY in Germany and Poland where the speed limits are high (or non existent) and cruising in the left is extremely dangerous.

Anyways... Bikes n' stuff.

D'z Nutz
08-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by littledan
i blame hipsters

Please. Hipsters have been biking on Macleod since before there were any bike lanes.

FullFledgedYYC
08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm

Until you see police actually enforcing this, it will never change. In Europe, the cop will pull over someone hanging out in the left lane before a speeder. ESPECIALLY in Germany and Poland where the speed limits are high (or non existent) and cruising in the left is extremely dangerous.

If police did actually start enforcing this... our traffic problems would disappear in a month. Unfortunately... they never will.

CapnCrunch
08-23-2012, 02:24 PM

Anyways... Bikes n' stuff.

You're on drugs if you think this works inside the city limit.

dj_patm
08-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

You're on drugs if you think this works inside the city limit.

It would if it was enforced.

I remember driving with my cousin, she thought I was breaking the law when I passed someone on the right on 162nd AVE.

FullFledgedYYC
08-23-2012, 02:50 PM
I recently had a cousin here from Europe and he could not believe that people just sat in the left lane while getting passed on the right. He said back at home they would be tailgated, honked at, yelled at, and ticketed if police saw them.

As I have said in other threads.... whenever I am on deerfoot (mainly glenmore to 17 ave, northbound) I do all my passing in the rightmost lane... I swear it's the passing lane in Calgary.

FraserB
08-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Looking at all the possible layouts, there seems to be very little impact on the existing traffic setup. The only real difference is lanes that are smaller by 30cm.

masoncgy
08-23-2012, 02:55 PM
I recently had a cousin here from Europe and he could not believe that people just sat in the left lane while getting passed on the right. He said back at home they would be tailgated, honked at, yelled at, and ticketed if police saw them.

As I have said in other threads.... whenever I am on deerfoot (mainly glenmore to 17 ave, northbound) I do all my passing in the rightmost lane... I swear it's the passing lane in Calgary.

That's what I used to tell people who would come to visit when I lived in Calgary.

Take the right lane, you'll get there faster, every time.

codetrap
08-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by supe

What are you talking about... clearly says gives highest priority to walking cycling and transit.

These 3 things are very sustainable given the growth Calgary is seeing and will see. Driving is not sustainable. My mistake. Perhaps you did read it. Did you get down to the actual designs that could include more lanes (instead of parking lanes)

codetrap
08-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

I don't understand how putting in a path parallel to the train tracks would lead to people getting hit by the train all the time... there are plenty of crossing already. If anything, there are a few places that are high traffic that they'd probably have to cross a busy road (ie: 42nd) - but that can be resolved too. Besides, if a cyclist timed it right, they could probably run parallel with a CP train during rush hour the entire way, so no stops!

As far as local walking options, there are sidewalks that already run down macleod.

Anyway, just tossing out an alternative idea for discussion. I'm curious to understand if reengineering macleod is the only option they are looking at, or if this is one of several. You could put a cycle pathway beside the train, just make sure it's fenced off well. And having walked down Mcleod from downtown to to southland, it's not fun. It's not pleasant. The worst is not hearing the buses as they come up beside you only a foot or two away at 50-60K.. it can scare the bejesus out of you.

hampstor
08-23-2012, 05:28 PM
You could put a cycle pathway beside the train, just make sure it's fenced off well.

Which is exactly what I suggested in my original post :poosie:

I was more thinking about cost though. Rengineering MacLeod trail will require them to close lanes while doing the work, probably repair large sections or the road, rebuild sidewalks, etc. As I recall, there is already a fence separating the track.

Abeo
08-23-2012, 05:46 PM
So in these plans, have they somehow altered Calgary's weather? I know there are some diehards that cycle all year, but for the most part you won't see the average cyclist out in February. Seems dumb to redesign the road only to reap benefits for 6 months of the year.

Cos
08-23-2012, 05:53 PM

g-m
08-23-2012, 07:02 PM
sooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I don't live in the south. Stupid fucking ideas, I didn't notice any 8 lane proposals. Nobody will walk or bike for 7 months of the year. Few people use the EXISTING sidewalks and pretty much never for more than a few blocks. The saving grace is that I don't live or work in the south.

Sugarphreak
08-23-2012, 07:45 PM

grampafunk
08-23-2012, 08:08 PM
you cannot build your way out of congestion. More lanes will mean more cars, not less. Pretty basic planning principle.

Find a different route pizza boy!

Im glad to see Albertan cities catching up!

Real problem with that plan is that AECOM did it. hehe

Maxt
08-23-2012, 09:18 PM
I still would like to know where all this mystery bike demand is... I have seen 1 bike the whole summer on 11 st se , since they fucked it up with bike lanes.. I have yet to see a bike on 6th ave nw as well, and I drive those roads pretty much daily.
I don't know about 10 st nw since I don't drive it very often, but they were so hard up for real life cyclists for the 10 st nw promo video, they had to put out a casting call and openly recruit for cyclists for the video. One would think with so much pent up demand, capturing cycling video would be easy since they are apparently out there in droves.
Just about every building I work in has a bike rack now, that are for the most part, empty every day.

codetrap
08-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Maxt, I think it's more of a build it and they will come sort of attitude.. however I could be wrong. I know a couple of guys at work that cycle in from the deep south and they've told me on occasion that the river pathway is pretty busy, even though it's a very roundabout route.

davidI
08-24-2012, 06:47 AM
I used to love cycling to work and I hated the fact Calgary isn't very well set-up for it.

I wish they'd have temporary bike lanes in the summer. So many European cities that also get snow have bike / bus lanes. Why not try to set-up lanes for bikes / buses that are available to cyclists from April 1st to Nov. 1st or something? Then have it available for cars in the winter.

Ottawa and Montreal are much better set-up for bicycling than Calgary - they even have those bicycles to borrow.

All of the bullshit over-used pathways with 'speed limits' just deter Calgarians from cycling leading to expensive parking and increased road congestion / noise / pollution.

CapnCrunch
08-24-2012, 07:14 AM

It would if it was enforced.

I remember driving with my cousin, she thought I was breaking the law when I passed someone on the right on 162nd AVE.

How can you possibly enforce it?

Cop: I pulled you over because you were driving in the left hand lane and weren't passing anyone.

Me: Yeah, I was planning on turning left at the next intersection.

Cop: My mistake. Carry on.

You make it sound like Calgary is nothing but freeways. Even Deerfoot is way too congested for it to work.

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

How can you possibly enforce it?

Cop: I pulled you over because you were driving in the left hand lane and weren't passing anyone.

Me: Yeah, I was planning on turning left at the next intersection.

Cop: My mistake. Carry on.

You make it sound like Calgary is nothing but freeways. Even Deerfoot is way too congested for it to work.

Oh god... you're one of them! A left lane bandit!

It's quite easy to enforce. If I see you going through MULTIPLE intersections on Macleod Trail, in the left lane, and you never turn left, I am pulling you over.

Know why Deerfoot is so congested? Improper lane discipline! People from the left lane wanting to go all the way to the right, people in the right lane wanting to go left, all this criss crossing and peoples lack of ability to merge smoothly = congestion.

If we practiced proper lane discipline, traffic would be GREATLY reduced. You keep driving in that left lane though soldier.

codetrap
08-24-2012, 08:02 AM

It's quite easy to enforce. If I see you going through MULTIPLE intersections on Macleod Trail, in the left lane, and you never turn left, I am pulling you over.

Know why Deerfoot is so congested? Improper lane discipline! People from the left lane wanting to go all the way to the right, people in the right lane wanting to go left, all this criss crossing and peoples lack of ability to merge smoothly = congestion.

If we practiced proper lane discipline, traffic would be GREATLY reduced. You keep driving in that left lane though soldier. First, you'd pull someone over on Macleod Tr. That's not going to impact traffic at all is it. Second, "passing lane" discipline doesn't mean jack on a city street. It's impossible to enforce, and stupid to try. Third, deerfoot gets congested because the VOLUME of traffic. No amount of lane discipline is going to make the 10000 cars flow down the same stretch of road any faster. I do however agree that lack of ability to merge worsens it by far. This is very well highlighted by the fact that traffic always speeds up away from intersections, and slows down around intersections.

I find it your suggestion of "left lane bandit" on a city street to be totally ridiculous. There's simply too many cars, and adding another regulation to "clear a lane for passing" on every 4 lane road in the city is just stupid. This is quite ironic too, considering that you're the guy advocating removing all the regulations.

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 08:26 AM
You don't think having proper lane discipline would help Deerfoot move better?

Wow.... you're hopeless. Say whatever you like, I am done with you.

davidI
08-24-2012, 08:30 AM
^ It works well in Europe on the Autobahns and such. :dunno:

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Yes, it works EVERYWHERE were it is actually enforced and followed.

But codetrap is all-knowing.... so let him be.

slinkie
08-24-2012, 08:58 AM

If we practiced proper lane discipline, traffic would be GREATLY reduced. You keep driving in that left lane though soldier.

Deal with it. TETRIS must enrage you

Tik-Tok
08-24-2012, 09:11 AM
I think it's a great idea (the bike lanes), just too bad it won't be happening for decades. I also really like the idea of bike lanes beside the C-Train tracks, unfortunately, they would just become a homeless highway, and then no one would use it.

rx7_turbo2
08-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
I still would like to know where all this mystery bike demand is... I have seen 1 bike the whole summer on 11 st se , since they fucked it up with bike lanes.. I have yet to see a bike on 6th ave nw as well, and I drive those roads pretty much daily.
I don't know about 10 st nw since I don't drive it very often, but they were so hard up for real life cyclists for the 10 st nw promo video, they had to put out a casting call and openly recruit for cyclists for the video. One would think with so much pent up demand, capturing cycling video would be easy since they are apparently out there in droves.
Just about every building I work in has a bike rack now, that are for the most part, empty every day.

This!

Work dictates I drive more than the average. Maybe in a few years I'll see packed bike lanes the "build it they will come" mentality but as of right now the VAST majority of bike lanes I see are an empty wasteland. There are exceptions, the bike lanes along the river running parallel to Memorial are busy every morning but they don't really impact the flow of traffic like the majority of new bike lanes The City has painted. Somebody mentioned a seasonal program as well that works in some European cities. I like this idea for a few reasons. Lets face it most bikers are not riding year round, 4 months at most, the bike lanes simply are not needed the other months. Also traffic in general is a little lighter during the summer months so the bike lanes won't impact vehicular traffic as badly.

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by slinkie

Deal with it. TETRIS must enrage you

Have you ever been to one of the later levels of tetris and had to deal with not getting one of those straight pieces in what seems like forever?

Tell me that is not enraging!

CapnCrunch
08-24-2012, 10:19 AM

I drive in whichever lane I need to be in. If it makes you angry, then you really need to get a life.

You should write a letter to the city if you think you've solved the cities traffic problems.

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 10:24 AM
There is no NEED for you to be in the left lane on deerfoot unless you are passing. So I will just assume you never do that, since you only drive in lanes that you NEED to be in.

Tik-Tok
08-24-2012, 10:34 AM
There is no NEED for you to be in the left lane on deerfoot unless you are passing. So I will just assume you never do that, since you only drive in lanes that you NEED to be in.

I'm always in the left lane as well, because I NEED to be there. Why? Because I'm always passing the people in the middle lane who do 95, and the people in the right lane, who do 90. I do get out of the way if someone is coming up behind me though (when I can)

CapnCrunch
08-24-2012, 10:36 AM

TRololololollllll

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I'm always in the left lane as well, because I NEED to be there. Why? Because I'm always passing the people in the middle lane who do 95, and the people in the right lane, who do 90. I do get out of the way if someone is coming up behind me though (when I can)

THANK YOU! Someone who GETS IT!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

codetrap
08-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Yes, it works EVERYWHERE were it is actually enforced and followed.

But codetrap is all-knowing.... so let him be.

Yeah.. works fucking perfectly doesn't it..
MX6_Kjl0CkA

Takes about 10 seconds to see that your idea of "lane discipline" doesn't do JACK SHIT in highly congested situations (aka peak traffic times) on the Deerfoot, or apparently the AutoBahn. No amount of *lane discipline* is going to unclog a congested roadway. The only thing that can unclog is is LESS CARS.

I like this article.. http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/autobahn.shtml#traffic

www.gettingaroundgermany.info/g_imgs/stau.jpg

So.. what's again? I can't hear you.. is it you're totally full of shit?
Typical weekend and holiday Autobahn traffic, yup, great lane discipline here..

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Dude... I get it. You know everything. Don't worry.

JfuckinC
08-24-2012, 01:47 PM
lol these people must not have to drive anywhere...

88CRX
08-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Driving back from Red Deer last weekend on Sunday afternoon I felt like ramming some people off the road :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Must have passed 100+ car in the extra right lane they've added to portions of the highway. Even the fucking semi-trucks don't get over when it opens up to 3 lanes. Ticket them all.

supe
08-24-2012, 02:00 PM
I fully agree with codetrap, if you do any research into environmental and traffic design you know that building a city for cars just won't work. Traffic jams are a fact of life. You can do very expensive things to lubricate the system but they are only short term solutions.

Making pedestrian, cycling and transit systems more favorable to use is the best way to ease traffic congestion.

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Making pedestrian, cycling and transit systems more favorable to use is the best way to ease traffic congestion.

Well we know Transit is fucked for all eternity due to the way it was originally designed... so that's out.

I personally don't know anyone that would ride their bike or walk to work in -30 in the winter... so that's out.

Guess we all just begin working from home! Which is a completely viable solution for most office jobs.

supe
08-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Please explain why our transit system is fucked?

FYI you have no the fuck idea what you're talking about.

codetrap
08-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Dude... I get it. You know everything. Don't worry. Not worried. I thought I knew everything at 26 too. Don't worry, with age comes wisdom. You'll get there eventually.

Oh, and I know several people that right their bikes year round, and walk year round to work. Hell, until my hip got all fucked up, I rode from Country Hills to DT anytime the paths were clear. 23k one way.

As was stated above, you really don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 03:25 PM
How is our transit system fucked? The entire thing is above ground and overlaps roads.

A family member is a transit supervisor and he always says our system is fucked.

But I dunno... you're some know-it-all on the net, so you must have a better idea than him.... even though he has worked for them more than 30 years.

supe
08-24-2012, 03:38 PM
How is our transit system fucked? The entire thing is above ground and overlaps roads.

A family member is a transit supervisor and he always says our system is fucked.

But I dunno... you're some know-it-all on the net, so you must have a better idea than him.... even though he has worked for them more than 30 years.

Oh so your so called supervisor is the authoritative voice on light rail transit. Got it.

But lets just do a little more research before we right off our transit system. According to wikipedia Calgary has the second highest ridership rate in all of north america.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_rail_in_North_America

Oh thats right, the world revolves around you and trains have no business being near where you drive.

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Exactly. You two gonna make out now?

flipstah
08-24-2012, 03:47 PM

Oh so your so called supervisor is the authoritative voice on light rail transit. Got it.

But lets just do a little more research before we right off our transit system. According to wikipedia Calgary has the second highest ridership rate in all of north america.

Oh thats right, the world revolves around you and trains have no business being near where you drive.

I think by 'fucked', he means it's:

- Poorly designed and went with the cheaper route (that's fine)
- Unreliable (that's not)

I think we all understand going underground is expensive but should've been done.

Over the years, Transit is getting better but it's miles away from being a great one for a city of this size.

Just because everyone uses it doesn't mean it's free of fault.

codetrap
08-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by supe Oh so your so called supervisor is the authoritative voice on light rail transit. Got it.

But lets just do a little more research before we wright off our transit system. According to wikipedia Calgary has the second highest ridership rate in all of North America.

Oh that's right, the world revolves around you and trains have no business being near where you drive. Hahahaha.. some lifer bus driver says the transit system is fucked, so it must be true... because those transit supervisors definitely have the highest level of available education in comparative evaluation of public transit systems.

http://obamaletdownwatch.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/oh-snap.jpg

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 05:08 PM
You're the best man, must have your PhD. Can I have your autograph?

rx7_turbo2
08-24-2012, 06:46 PM
The C-Train during the winter is a roll of the dice at best. At least when leaving the N.W.

I personally avoid it like the plague year round though. Unless I'm trying to get to the Stampede or maybe a Flames game I can't think of why I would ever take it when I could just drive and get there twice as fast.

codetrap
08-24-2012, 06:50 PM
You're the best man, must have your PhD. Can I have your autograph? Sure. I'll sign it the same way I signed your mom's face.

Maybe if you started actually thinking for yourself instead of simply regurgitating what you've been told you'd fare better. You might be right, you might be wrong, but at least it'd be more fun to argue with you and then we'd both learn something.

FullFledgedYYC
08-24-2012, 09:58 PM
MOM JOKE?!?! no way!!!

You're the best!!!!

Thomas Gabriel
08-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Who bikes in the winter? I don't believe even the most hardcore of bikers do it. Any exposed skin would have frost bite after a bike to work.

People like Druh Farrell live in a fantasy land where it's realistic for everyone to bike around or that our city can support an efficient transit system. The weather in Calgary sucks and we have very low population density. This isn't Hong Kong. Build more fucking roads. The bikernazis can go suck each other's impotent dicks behind bow cycle.

Tik-Tok
08-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
Who bikes in the winter? I don't believe even the most hardcore of bikers do it. Any exposed skin would have frost bite after a bike to work.

There's at least 1/2 a dozen that work at the airport that do. I see them every day on the way to work.

dj_patm
09-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

There's at least 1/2 a dozen that work at the airport that do. I see them every day on the way to work.

Necessity for a tiny fraction of the population =/= justification.

It is absolutely absurd to build a bike lane outside of the core in Calgary that will be considered unusable to the average calgarian 7/12 months of the year...

soupey
09-01-2012, 08:04 AM
after living in brampton for 3 months and commuting to york mills (about a 40km stretch of highway)....calgary's traffic issues are a joke compared to other cities. Ive also driven for 6 months in NYC/NJ and I have to say the system they have set up there for the number of cars that go through the area is way better than anything ive ever seen in canada - although im not a fan of the toll fees all over the place either.

I think calgary does have a mild traffic problem, but nothing in contrast to places like GTA, and in all honesty, I don't think adding a few bike lanes would do much of anything if the number of car lanes remains the same.

btimbit
09-02-2012, 11:36 AM
The city wants to beef up MacLeod to get around the fact that the province can't make the SW ring road.