PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Calgary Corporate Challenge

jwslam
08-23-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm doing Big Bike for CNRL this year on the basis that I have zero atheletic talent.

Who else is playing what?

On that note, shameless plea for donations here:
http://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1015235&lis=1&kntae1015235=311F0FB1F6F04ADA9F1DCC345442FAB3&supId=364516283

GOnSHO
08-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Should be playing Soccer, Softball and Billiards for Transcanada this year, laser tag wasnt even fun last year with nexen there...

Phl0xed
08-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Probably be playing Softball for Focus. Just as long as I don't have to organize it again this year. :dunno:

Dave P
08-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Truck Pull on the 8th here

flipstah
08-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I wonder if Encana is doing something for this year... They have the Big Bike Challenge.

Maybe I'll sign up...

jwslam
08-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I wonder if Encana is doing something for this year... They have the Big Bike Challenge.

Maybe I'll sign up...
I need to work hard before bike day comes up. I haven't had a leg day since February LOL

flipstah
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

I need to work hard before bike day comes up. I haven't had a leg day since February LOL

Ours is apparently end of August and first week of September :eek:

Not ready for that!

t_soarer
08-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Big Bike
Basketball
Laser Tag

Should be fun!

CorollaXRS
08-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Laser Tag and Mini Golf

bigbadboss101
08-25-2012, 03:00 PM
I wanted to do Ultimate Frisbee and Curling but last year we had like 25 people trying out for one curling team and 20 people for ultimate. Figure enough people wanted to play I will let them go ahead. Lot of other activities for me. ;)

403ep3
08-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Damn these events always sound so fun. Can't wait to get into these challenges once I graduate in Dec! (as long as I find a job :burnout: )

FullFledgedYYC
08-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Soccer
Foosball
Laser Tag
Mini Golf
Possibly Urban Orienteering

I think that is all.... Went to practice Laser Tag tonight with the group and came in 1st and 4th in a free for all.... I should be able to do decently.

flipstah
08-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Has recruitment already started for your companies?

FullFledgedYYC
08-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Ya they started getting people to sign up about 2 weeks ago for us

jwslam
08-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Has recruitment already started for your companies?
Posters have been up in our building since end of July.

FraserB
08-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Started about 2 weeks ago for us.

I'm doing the Mini Golf and Urban Orienteering.

flipstah
08-29-2012, 10:29 PM
WTF. I may have missed it then... :banghead:

Time to investigate tomorrow!

lasimmon
08-29-2012, 10:31 PM
My company thinks its a waste of time, and detrimental to our company :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

jwslam
08-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
My company thinks its a waste of time, and detrimental to our company :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Someone was telling me this... Conoco?
(Please feel free not to respond, to avoid another Spoons' Thanks thread.

Disoblige
08-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
What a lame company, no offense to you.

Companies should see this as an excellent opportunity to team build.

What sucks is that some of the "Captains" at my company aren't treating it like that and act like Nazi's to players, which made people drop out of the events :rofl:

chibwack
08-30-2012, 10:19 AM
I was late registering so I'm about #20 on the minigolf waiting list. Otherwise just gonna be a volunteer, not sure where at yet though.

flipstah
08-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Bah. Too late as all spots are filled.

megavolt
08-30-2012, 11:56 AM
LaserTag
Ultimate Frisbee
Big Bike
Truck Pull
Torch Relay

Might be in:
Darts
Urban Orienteering
Mountain Bike

Guess I met FullFledgedYYC last night at LaserQuest. :)

FullFledgedYYC
08-31-2012, 11:15 AM
OHHH!!!! That was you! hahahaha. Awesome.

You are too good, thus why I targeted you in the second game.

lasimmon
08-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Someone was telling me this... Conoco?
(Please feel free not to respond, to avoid another Spoons' Thanks thread.

Decent sized oilfield service company

FraserB
09-06-2012, 06:42 PM
At urban orienteering practice right now

megavolt
09-07-2012, 08:05 AM
I've done Urban Orienteering the past two years but missed the practice last night. I heard it was hard.

CaptainReboot
09-08-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm doing just laser tag this year. We got gold a few years back.

We've had a few practices already and playing on Monday.

megavolt
09-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Ran the torch relay on Friday and attended the kick-off. Got all but 3 stickers for our board and picked up one of those on Saturday.

Did truck pull Saturday morning, for less than a minute combined effort I sure was sore for the rest of the day. Didn't do great because half of our team was 60 pound girls. :)

Sunday was Ultimate Frisbee. Lost our first game (we were ahead at halftime) and won our second with a buzzer-beater catch by yours truly. Not enough to advance to the finals though.

Tonight is darts, then lasertag tomorrow. And even on nights when I'm not competing I'll likely be at one of the events considering I'm the company coordinator.

I'm going to be so tired by the end of September.

ekguy
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Did Ultimate yesterday and it was embarrassing how badly we lost haha. But it was my first time playing and had a blast.

Saturday I'm playing Softball, we have a crazy good team so I'm looking forward to that.

FraserB
09-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by megavolt
I've done Urban Orienteering the past two years but missed the practice last night. I heard it was hard.

It was brutal. Looking forward to the 22nd though.

taemo
09-11-2012, 10:37 AM
white division, signed up for soccer and basketball but due to busy work and events, I might be missing some of the games

FullFledgedYYC
09-11-2012, 10:43 AM

Tonight is darts, then lasertag tomorrow. And even on nights when I'm not competing I'll likely be at one of the events considering I'm the company coordinator.

I'm going to be so tired by the end of September.

See you tomorrow. I have a feeling our team is going to get destroyed as our best girl won't be there.

Skyline_Addict
09-11-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm with ATB Financial soccer team. Think we play sometime next week...

megavolt
09-11-2012, 10:55 AM
With how good you were you shouldn't have a problem at least getting into the finals.

Uh... and you mean tonight right?

FullFledgedYYC
09-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Oh yes, tonight.

Hopefully we can at least make finals because then that girl would be back. My expectations are very low though.

megavolt
09-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Seems as though you made it to the finals.

outsider
09-13-2012, 08:12 AM
I wasn't going to sign up, but my company needed a keeper for Soccer. So I'm playing on Sunday.

FullFledgedYYC
09-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Seems as though you made it to the finals.

Ya... I feel I carried the team haha. I got first in game 2 and 3... one of our players was negative and the other two were hovering right around zero.

Look out for FGL Sports, they are damn good.

megavolt
09-18-2012, 08:52 AM
LaserTag GOLD baby! :D

Kloubek
09-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
Look out for FGL Sports, they are damn good.

My company baby. You're all goin' downnnnn!!!!!

sk8r3124
09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
LaserTag GOLD baby! :D

We played LaserTag finals last night. Didn't win, but were surprised to see a complete lack of integrity with some companies. One wouldn't think that as adults, whistleblowing would need to occur telling the marshalls of cheating that was going on. We had one team blatently put their hand in front of the laser shooting them, and another that would pull a basketball pick as soon as they were shot so as no one could continue past them to shoot the rest of their team. With something like lasertag, integrity needs to be there; because no matter how much someone talks to the 18 year old marshalls, they aren't really going to do anything about it anyways.

/rant

Disoblige
09-18-2012, 09:04 AM
^^ Just give them a 1 on the Blue card :thumbsup:

FullFledgedYYC
09-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by sk8r3124

We played LaserTag finals last night. Didn't win, but were surprised to see a complete lack of integrity with some companies. One wouldn't think that as adults, whistleblowing would need to occur telling the marshalls of cheating that was going on. We had one team blatently put their hand in front of the laser shooting them, and another that would pull a basketball pick as soon as they were shot so as no one could continue past them to shoot the rest of their team. With something like lasertag, integrity needs to be there; because no matter how much someone talks to the 18 year old marshalls, they aren't really going to do anything about it anyways.

/rant

Which division were you playing in? Red?

Congrats Megavolt... you pretty much dominated. I found last night to be just pure mayhem... everywhere you turn you are getting shot at.

sk8r3124
09-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Which division were you playing in? Red?

Congrats Megavolt... you pretty much dominated. I found last night to be just pure mayhem... everywhere you turn you are getting shot at.

White.

Bonavista Energy Dominated our division.

GOnSHO
09-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Soccer Quarters on sat :D

megavolt
09-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

My company baby. You're all goin' downnnnn!!!!!

Funny... That's the kind of attitude you guys were giving us at LaserTag... and you walked away without a medal.

I commend you guys on your performance in the games but please lose the attitude.

GOnSHO
09-18-2012, 10:33 AM

Funny... That's the kind of attitude you guys were giving us at LaserTag... and you walked away without a medal.

I commend you guys on your performance in the games but please lose the attitude.

:drama: :whocares:

FullFledgedYYC
09-18-2012, 10:53 AM
I never saw any attitude from FGL... they gave me a coupon for Sportchek and were quite polite.

Perhaps you just took some friendly smack talk the wrong way? I do it to.... and I know we suck. Before we went into the arena during the 2nd game I believe I yelled out "YOU ARE ALL GOING DOWN! WE ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD!"

When in all reality I knew we were going to lose.

Only strange thing I came across was one guy from Agrium (asian) getting all upset at our team because someone accidentally got their gun tangled up with his.

"BACK OFF BRO! DON'T BE TOUCHING ME! DON'T BE TOUCHING ME BRO!"

to which we replied with "DON'T TAZE ME BRO!"

Whatever... you have to know going into these kind of things that some people are going to be over the top competitive.... don't let it get to you.

Kloubek
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM

Simmer down dude.... I'm just screwing around. I'm a pretty competitive person, but didn't sign up for any events this year. While I want to see my company do well, I'm not so interested that I'd seriously smack talk on a forum. In fact, when I *did* participate last year I found many of the other companies were way too serious about things when at the end of the day, whether someone wins or loses the corporate challenge really means jack all.

If you received "attitude" from anyone from my company, I apologize. We typically have a pretty good crew over here, and I'd hate to know we were unsportsmanlike at the events. I do know one of the guys on that team is brand new, and perhaps hasn't exactly adopted the "culture" quite yet...

Edit: Funny, I brought up this thread to the guy in question and he admits he was pretty animated during the competition and doing a little tongue-in-cheek trash talking. But he also admits that they were *not* playing well last night and it was all in good fun.

megavolt
09-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Okay. I'm sorry. It's just my wife got smack talk from FGL at 8ball, we got it last night and now this. It just adds up on the company image. I realize the majority are probably 20something athletic types working there so that's probably just how things are.

BTW, you guys keep moving between Orange and Red divs... just headcount fluctuations?

Edit: The teams in red this year were fun to play with once we actually got down to it.

I actually wanted to say GG to the FGL guys but I think they left pretty quick.

npham
09-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by sk8r3124

White.

Bonavista Energy Dominated our division.

Bonavista is going to win the division me thinks. They beat us in the Ultimate finals pretty good on Saturday.

Kloubek
09-18-2012, 11:22 AM
True enough, we do tend to have an athletic bunch and they are probably used to high level of competition in their own recreational activities - but that is really no excuse.

That's really not cool that you're getting that impression of us. My words were just meant as a joke, but if you felt people were serious about that at both your own event and your wife's event, then that is something I will want to address with the appropriate people.

We were in orange last year because we opened our team up to our stores as well, which increased the head count - even though we didn't have as many people coming to participate from the stores as we expected. This year we're in red because it is only head office people competing.

megavolt
09-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I meant last year you were in Orange... I think... Still Forzani Group right?... just shortened?

I just always put on the face of good sportsmanship at CCC to reflect well on the company I'm playing for. Yes I'll cheer louder for my team but we were cheering for everyone yesterday.

Yes I can take some smack talk, but a constant barrage just gets annoying. You guys are leading the division in points and medals, I think that speaks louder than anything. :)

Edit: OOp... spoke too soon... standings just got updated. Altalink passed you guys.

Kloubek
09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
You're right... as of today, they've passed us. Oh well.

Yeah, our name was changed since we were purchased by Canadian Tire last year. From Forzani Group Ltd. to FGL Sports Ltd. (The Forzani's are no longer involved in the running of the business.)

I'll have you know that an email went out to everyone at our head office about 5 minutes ago reminding them to ensure we keep any perceived attitude in check. I'm sure most of it is meant in good fun, but we certainly don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable.

GOnSHO
09-18-2012, 11:51 AM
lol my company has negatives in 3 things!! WTF?! missing 16 points!!

megavolt
09-18-2012, 01:01 PM
That means they haven't been showing up to events with full teams. -5 is a default (not enough players or not enough min male/female), -10 is a no-show.

GOnSHO
09-18-2012, 01:06 PM
we have 2 -3 (mountain bike and truck pull) then there is a -10 penalty....?

if we didnt have those, we would be 1st.. hah

megavolt
09-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Sorry that's including the 2 points you get for signing up... so it shows up as -3 and -8.

Two defaults killed our standings last year.

Nothing like Co-operators Insurance in our division which has -74 penalty points right now. Looks like they've only shown up to two events out of the handful they said they'd be participating in. Bet they won't be back next year.

Kloubek
09-18-2012, 01:27 PM
-74!!!!

Now that I *will* laugh at. Why even bother....

GOnSHO
09-18-2012, 01:33 PM
makes sense.. interesting we defaulted on the 2 events from the same day... haha!

yea i saw the co-operators one, i was like WTF!?

FraserB
09-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Turns out one of the client PMs that works from our office will be doing Urban Orienteering on Saturday as well, should be interesting.

How blatant is the cheating in UO every year?

4doorj
09-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by t_soarer
Big Bike
Basketball
Laser Tag

Should be fun!

haha weird.
This is exactly what I joined.

megavolt
09-18-2012, 03:16 PM
What do you mean by cheating in UO?

I've never actually seen any cheating. Always wondered how some of the companies got crazy good times.

I got bronze the two years I played. Last year if we hadn't missed a bus by 30 seconds we'd probably had gold.

hampstor
09-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Last night at the Lasertag event, it appears one of the teams who was in a medal standing (not sure which division but it wasn't orange) faced disqualification for 'unsportsmanlike conduct'. When I asked what happened I was told, "chinese olympic badminton team type of incident" and some guys from the CCC office were heading down to investigate. Not sure if they ended up disqualifying a team... it sure did delay the orange division results.

BTW megavolt, when they announced someone left their lights on, was that you? :rofl:

megavolt
09-18-2012, 08:46 PM
It was the green division that had the problems. Heard the 'Chinese badminton incident' description too. Nothing more than that.

And yes it was my plate they announced. Just the parking lights on. :facepalm:

Seems like we have a lot of laserquest players on here... meet? :D

CaptainReboot
09-18-2012, 09:43 PM
We were in the Orange division and were wondering why it took so long to get the final Lasertag results.

FullFledgedYYC
09-20-2012, 07:05 AM
The asian man that played foosball for Three Streams is perhaps the most insane foosball player I have ever seen in my life.... wow.

Here is the move he did that literally crushed every team he met.

qhyvwQWL5fI

FraserB
09-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Jesus Christ kill me now. Feels like some took a bat to my knees and ran my feet over. 210/230 points on the checkpoints.

lasimmon
09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
The asian man that played foosball for Three Streams is perhaps the most insane foosball player I have ever seen in my life.... wow.

Here is the move he did that literally crushed every team he met.

qhyvwQWL5fI

Thats pretty standard for competitive/good foosball players.

A girl in my office actually competes professionally, too bad we dont do corporate challange!

FullFledgedYYC
09-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Yesterday I felt fine after Urban Orienteering... today I can barely move.

It was a pretty awesome even though. I am definitely going to do it again next year.

Huge credit to the organizers and all the volunteers! I have never seen such an amazingly well organized and executed event. Kudos to everyone involved!