PDA

View Full Version : Where to Replace Hub?

hampstor
08-23-2012, 03:53 PM
For reference - the bike is a sport-chek special (Diamondback Avalanche - 2011) that has some sort of Quando bearing.

For the last few months, i've noticed a lot of resistance on my bike so I finally decided to check and lube the bearings.

Upon further inspection, the prob was the rear wheel. When spun, the wheel will make more than 2 revolutions before stopping. :banghead:

Took it apart, and found on the free-wheel side the outside edge of the track of the bearings is bent to shit. Not sure how it happened to be honest - could've been from a big wipeout I had a few months ago, or maybe it was from when I installed the adapter for a bike trailer.

I THINK I have to replace the whole hub - which upon looking at it, is not someting I'm really keen on doing myself...

Anyway, I've never really taken anything to a bike shop before so I'm unfamiliar with which shops are good/which are bad so any suggestions on who to go to that can order the part, and replace it for me would be great!

phreezee
08-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Servicing the hub can be $60 if I recall, depends on if you have to replace the axle. Most likely your wheel is out of true also, so tack on $20.

Buy new wheels, that's what I did: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_533230_-1___

hampstor
08-28-2012, 08:09 AM
thanks for the advise - ended up up at Cyclepath and bought 1 new wheel (I only brought that one in).

I'll replace the set next season with something good - for now, it's just nice to be able to roll down a hill and gain speed :burnout:

swak
08-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Yeah, for that quality of wheel (store like sportchek you wont get any fancy wheel from). It'll be way cheaper to just buy a new wheel! So good work on that!

Replacing the cones/axle and bearings will be way more than $60... $60 might cover the labor... Parts will be probably impossible to find. Literally.