PDA

View Full Version : Dr.Who - where the Hell do I start?

403Gemini
08-24-2012, 04:01 PM
So I'm a giant nerd... but I've never watched Dr.Who... I hear a lot of good things about it. I know the show as a whole has something like 700 episodes if you include all the older episodes, but I want to start with something a bit newer.

My friend was telling me that the show was effectively "rebooted" in the mid 2000's... Just wanted to see if anybody could point me in that direction of what year to start watching.

Thanks guys

Vagabond142
08-24-2012, 07:27 PM
The reboot happened in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston.

If you want to get super-nerdy, there are torrents out there that have the ENTIRE run of the show to current (they're about 300 GB large, however).

If you want the new stuff, start with the 9th Doctor (Ecclestone). He lasted 1 season as the launch pad for the series. David Tennant (10th Doctor) really fleshed out the series, and Matt Smith (11th and current Doctor) is the tongue-in-cheek-yet-deadly-serious Doctor.

There are currently six series out, with the seventh series starting this fall.

Also... and this is vital.... you must absolutely, one hundred percent, completely remember, if you ever get to series 5 of the current Dr Who series....

and this is life changing...

.... bow ties are cool :D

ZEDGE
08-24-2012, 09:44 PM
I downloaded the whole thing. (New Series, 1-6)

Currently on season three, episode 7. Trying to catch up before seventh series starts.

Soo good. Love this show.

Vagabond142
08-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

Currently on season three, episode 7.

Burn.... with... meeeeeee......

@_@

ZEDGE
08-25-2012, 11:34 PM
HAHA!

Its funny how many actors/actresses in this are on Coronation street now.. ;)

Oh and Spider Man.. :rofl:

Wakalimasu
11-23-2013, 06:55 AM
Start by watching it today! :D

a61z
11-23-2013, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't really consider myself much of a "super nerd" but some people I know kept going on about Doctor Who so I gave it a shot recently. Here is my take...

As mentioned, start at "Series 1" which was 2005. Not really a reboot I guess, but an easy starting point. There will be very occasional references to the earlier seasons but they are not really that important and mostly just there to give the super fans something to giggle over and to tie the shows together a bit.

Be warned that this season is super low budget. I kept watching just because the show was so goofy and sort of intentionally campy. Literally people running around yelling in foam suits etc.

However, through Series 1-2 the show finds its pace and actually has some depth. The show is surprisingly less "sci" and more "fi". It relies heavily on characters and relationships.

Series 3 is the low point imo but picks up towards the end and Series 4 is solid. I haven't started Series 5 yet.

It is a strange show in that every character can be replaced because of the format (and they all do get replaced over time... so Series 1 vs Series 3 is an entirely different cast).

There are also 3 (I think?) spin-offs that are sort of involved in various storylines to some extent.

Show is geared somewhat towards a female audience imo, but overall I actually ended up liking it. It is definitely not for everyone though.

Make sure you get all the correct episodes; there are a bunch of specials that kind of made the episode list a bit confusing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials#Specials_.282008.E2.80.932010.29